5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just did the fuel cut-off TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 11:33 AM

Just did the fuel cut-off TSB

I've had my 2k1 5speed for close to a year now, and I read all the threads about the fuel cutoff problems. At first, I didn't notice it on my car, but the more I drove it, the more I realized that it's not easy to drive this car smoothly at low RPM in first gear, even though I kind of adjusted my clutch/throttle balancing to minimize any jerkiness. So I decided to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.
I also printed a copy of the TSB in case I needed it. Once I got to the dealer I told my service adviser at Irvine Nissan to do the fuel cutoff TSB, and of course he gave me a blank stare like asking me WTF I'm talking about ? So I showed him the TSB printout and accepted to do the work under warranty.

After I picked up my car here's my impressions:

It's much easier to start in first gear now, the whole clutch touchiness/jerkiness is gone, no need to slip the clutch to get a smooth launch.

While cruising in 5th gear, the throttle on-off sensitivity is gone.

Even shifting gears seems smoother, no more jerkiness.

So I really recommend this TSB to all 5speed owners.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:58 AM

its all for free rite?

what do i do, do just bring the car in with a printed out tsb? will the factory do it for free? how long did it take to do this? does the car still have to be under warrenty? can print out a bunch of tsb and do it all at the same time?? my car is lowered with ground controls and has 18" rims will this effect any tsb?? thanx...
Old 05-03-2002, 12:37 PM

Re: its all for free rite?

I recommend printing out the TSB because Nissan service in general have no clue about TSBs.
It takes around an hour to do the fule cutoff TSB. They should be able to do all the TSBs at the same time if your car is exhibiting the problems addressed by these TSBs. If you' re still under the 3year/36K miles warranty, the TSB should be done at no charge. I don't think lowering the car or changing the wheels voids the warranty.

Good luck

Originally posted by maxxxed out
what do i do, do just bring the car in with a printed out tsb? will the factory do it for free? how long did it take to do this? does the car still have to be under warrenty? can print out a bunch of tsb and do it all at the same time?? my car is lowered with ground controls and has 18" rims will this effect any tsb?? thanx...
Old 05-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: its all for free rite?

Originally posted by maxxxed out
I had mine done few weeks ago. I took the car for 45000 mile service and aske the to do Fuel Cut TSB. They tried to give a run around and I had to get a print out to had it fixed. Anyway, it wasn't free. Even though, I have a Security Plus plan till 70000 miles. All I paid was $47. I think it worth it.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:40 PM

Sounds liek you lucked out...

I also got the newest TSB done on my car. Yeah...taking off in 1st gear improved, and the throttle sensitivity at low speeds is prety much gone, but the highway on-off throttle, in my opinion, got worse...

I guess that just give me an excuse to just keep it floored...hehe
Old 05-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Pointy Elbows

TSBs

Originally posted by Green_2
Sounds liek you lucked out...

I also got the newest TSB done on my car. Yeah...taking off in 1st gear improved, and the throttle sensitivity at low speeds is prety much gone, but the highway on-off throttle, in my opinion, got worse...

I guess that just give me an excuse to just keep it floored...hehe
I tried getting the Bumper TSB under warranty, but they checked the computer and it said my VIN number isn't included, so they can't do it for free. Obviously this is the problem, because my bumper had the marks on it from the scrapping on the trunk lid. So if I want it done I have to pay. All they did to remedy the problem was loosen the bolts on the trunk lid and move it back a little bit, so it doesn't rub. I also brought in the Fuel TSB to them and they said that if my car was effected, they would have sent me something in the mail. I still have a coupe thousand miles on my warranty. Should they do it for free?

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any chance 2002's have this TSB? My car is real jerky in 1st unless I feather the clutch.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:33 AM

Re: TSBs

Originally posted by 00MaxSE

I tried getting the Bumper TSB under warranty, but they checked the computer and it said my VIN number isn't included, so they can't do it for free. Obviously this is the problem, because my bumper had the marks on it from the scrapping on the trunk lid. So if I want it done I have to pay. All they did to remedy the problem was loosen the bolts on the trunk lid and move it back a little bit, so it doesn't rub. I also brought in the Fuel TSB to them and they said that if my car was effected, they would have sent me something in the mail. I still have a coupe thousand miles on my warranty. Should they do it for free?

Thanks.
That's really up to you. Some people think that it's a fix-it-all thing...while some (like me) think that it fixed some, but not all. Really depends...

But I would suggest you go ahead and get it done if you're having problem launching and shifting...
Old 05-04-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: TSBs

Thanks.
My bumper had scratches also and they said it was covered,and I would have to leave my car for a day. After reading posts about the members getting their bumpers scratched due to incompetency, I buffed out the scratches and lined the lid edge with teflon tape. So far it works.
As for the fuel TSB, they hassled me, dragged their a$$es, claimed they needed several hours to diagnose, gave me lip service and did it after 7 hours under warranty. I think they were trying to bilk Nissan for warranty labor hours. But since the Fuel cut TSB it is soooo much better on take-off. You won't get notification thru the mail, that's for recalls. They rather you never know about TSB's. Get it done. Your car is under warranty. Take it to a better dealership if they don't respond.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:05 PM
Pointy Elbows

Re: Re: TSBs

Originally posted by Merdan

My bumper had scratches also and they said it was covered,and I would have to leave my car for a day. After reading posts about the members getting their bumpers scratched due to incompetency, I buffed out the scratches and lined the lid edge with teflon tape. So far it works.
As for the fuel TSB, they hassled me, dragged their a$$es, claimed they needed several hours to diagnose, gave me lip service and did it after 7 hours under warranty. I think they were trying to bilk Nissan for warranty labor hours. But since the Fuel cut TSB it is soooo much better on take-off. You won't get notification thru the mail, that's for recalls. They rather you never know about TSB's. Get it done. Your car is under warranty. Take it to a better dealership if they don't respond.
If you got your bumper TSB done, then why did you still have to put teflon tape on the trunk lip? Didn't they fix it?
Old 05-04-2002, 10:48 PM

Re: Just did the fuel cut-off TSB

Originally posted by madmax2k1

So I really recommend this TSB to all 5speed owners.
I really want it fix too.

They test drove my car and said that it is normal to cut fuel and that I have to pay for the fix even though it is TSB. The cost is unknown, from 50-100 dollars according to my dealer.

Oh, my dash squeaks like crazy and they said that it is normal for a 1 year old car. They heard the squeaks and they said that if I want it fix,I have to pay 20 to inspect and 90 to repair.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: TSBs

If you got your bumper TSB done, then why did you still have to put teflon tape on the trunk lip? Didn't they fix it?
I didn't get done. I'm living with it. So far it works well. I don't want them to scratch the finish on my bumper. They can be incompetent.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:07 PM

Re: Re: Just did the fuel cut-off TSB

Originally posted by sympatico

I really want it fix too.

They test drove my car and said that it is normal to cut fuel and that I have to pay for the fix even though it is TSB. The cost is unknown, from 50-100 dollars according to my dealer.

Oh, my dash squeaks like crazy and they said that it is normal for a 1 year old car. They heard the squeaks and they said that if I want it fix,I have to pay 20 to inspect and 90 to repair.
Get it done. If they won't do it under warranty, go elsewhere or call the 1-800 nissan customer service number.