5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test drove G35 -bad mistake (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 97GLE

Hrmm i wonder why you would have a bad opinion of the car

The only time you need a hand e-brake is if your pulling some dumb theatrics... did you stop and think that its a rear drive car? If you want useful oversteer it's called the long skinny pedal!

Want to do a lot of power-off oversteers in your Bimmer? Thats cool if you want to show off, but why in the real world would anyone need that in a near-luxury class sedan. If you wanted performance and teenage theatrics you'd be waiting for the 280hp 6spd coupe with your precious hand brake anyway.
I never use e-brake for "teenage theatrics" and never did. My e-brake serves only one purpose, up or down hill parking; instead of braking with my tranny.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:42 PM

Re: Re: The 6-speed version of te G35 has a hand

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Has anybody actually found concrete evidence that this six-speed will arrive in the sedan this year? Everything I see out there is only referring to the coupe in November.
Here's one place I saw the 6-speed sedan mentioned for this fall:
FreshAlloy

I look for more later.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by AndyXXL

I never use e-brake for "teenage theatrics" and never did. My e-brake serves only one purpose, up or down hill parking; instead of braking with my tranny.
Therefore, a hand brake serves you no better unless you have weak ankles.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What's the big deal about the foot actuated e-brake anyway? Takes away another item in the dash/console area...which is great with me. I like the clean look the console. E-brakes throw the balance of the interior off and aren't generally attractive.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:46 PM

Therefore, a hand brake serves you no better unless you have weak ankles.
Yes, very weak. In fact I'm falling apart.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:47 PM

Bigger

Pretty Hand Brake
Old 05-07-2002, 03:48 PM

Bigger

Pretty Hand Brake
YES! That's much better
Old 05-07-2002, 03:50 PM

Yes, very weak. In fact I'm falling apart.
Alright then
Old 05-07-2002, 03:53 PM

Bigger

Pretty Hand Brake
You guys are confusing the hell out of me. So, the Coupe has a hand-brake like the 350Z and the Sedan has a foot pedal brake? Or is all this just a bunch of PM stuff that I'm getting too involved in?
Old 05-07-2002, 04:00 PM

You guys are confusing the hell out of me. So, the Coupe has a hand-brake like the 350Z and the Sedan has a foot pedal brake? Or is all this just a bunch of PM stuff that I'm getting too involved in?
No PM stuff...

The pic is of the g35 Coupe

I willing to bet for any G35
manual tranny = hand brake
automatic = foot e-brake

Theres no reason to have two designs for the same tranny setup, not to mention there wouldnt be room next to the clutch pedal in the sedan for another pedal.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:03 PM

No PM stuff...

The pic is of the g35 Coupe

I willing to bet for any G35
manual tranny = hand brake
automatic = foot e-brake

Theres no reason to have two designs for the same tranny setup, not to mention there wouldnt be room next to the clutch pedal in the sedan for another pedal.
Grassy-a$$. I appreciate it.

That's what I was thinking. At first I thought you photoshopped that picture and then I saw the URL for it.

Let NISMO deliver a supercharger, chip, and exhaust for the VQ35 and install it under warranty in the G35 Coupe, 6-speed which I am on the list for and I will sacrifice a K&N filter panel in thanks!
Old 05-07-2002, 04:05 PM

I will sacrifice a K&N filter panel in thanks!
No No, give it to my broke a$$... hehe. You can sacrifice my paper filter

And you reminded me... www.nissannews.com is a good place for pictures, specs, and pricing info
Old 05-07-2002, 04:30 PM

No No, give it to my broke a$$... hehe. You can sacrifice my paper filter

And you reminded me... www.nissannews.com is a good place for pictures, specs, and pricing info
Yes, I just hadn't been there for the G35 pictures...but, since your post, I have saved them all to my server.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:18 PM

Re: Re: v35 eh?

Originally posted by Skyline

Why wouldn't they? It is just a Skyline, not the Skyline GT-R.
nah i was just thinking if I grew up in Japan, i'd be surrounded with Supras, Skyline GT-Rs, and Evolutions...it'd be difficult for me to switch to the Skyline V35.

ps - you have a Skyline???!!! envy you.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: v35 eh?

Originally posted by Trunksu
nah i was just thinking if I grew up in Japan, i'd be surrounded with Supras, Skyline GT-Rs, and Evolutions...it'd be difficult for me to switch to the Skyline V35.
If you lived in Japan you would be surrounded by Skyline GTE's, GTS's, GT25's, GTS-T's, GTS4's etc. Those are what the G35/V35 sedan and coupe are replacing, GT-R version for the 35 model is yet to be introduced.
Originally posted by Trunksu
ps - you have a Skyline???!!! envy you.
Yes, and more specifically a Skyline GT-R...
Old 05-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

when the 6-spd comes out and we start seeing sometimes in it maybe a little over a year from now if my max still ****es me off i'll go look at one. i like the RWD and great handling.

-steve
Old 05-07-2002, 08:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: v35 eh?

Originally posted by Skyline

If you lived in Japan you would be surrounded by Skyline GTE's, GTS's, GT25's, GTS-T's, GTS4's etc. Those are what the G35/V35 sedan and coupe are replacing, GT-R version for the 35 model is yet to be introduced.

Yes, and more specifically a Skyline GT-R...
i want the limited R34 (only 1000 of them) saw your website, ur car is sweet!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:52 AM

I'm just used to a hand actuated parking brake >>

Like Andy, I also do not perform teenage theatrics. I also actually think that the parking brake handle makes the center console look MORE attractive.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: I'm just used to a hand actuated parking brake >>

Originally posted by Albertt
Like Andy, I also do not perform teenage theatrics. I also actually think that the parking brake handle makes the center console look MORE attractive.
Well the aesthetics are incredibly debatable. Personally, if you don't want a manual, I'd imagine you wouldn't want the clutter and if you got the manual, then you'd have your pretty hand brake for the sporty look.

I just thought it was no reason to compare it to a Taurus
Old 05-08-2002, 09:51 AM

Re: Re: I wouldn't say that the G35's interior is crappy >>

New car on the market, Infiniti Taurus with an amaizing foot actuated e-brake.
My Infiniti Taurus will out run you and out last you. If you want to talk smack you better get ready to back up your smack.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: I wouldn't say that the G35's interior is crappy >>

Originally posted by jinu117

My Infiniti Taurus will out run you and out last you. If you want to talk smack you better get ready to back up your smack.
I don't hate the G35, I simply pity those who were silly enough to buy it.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Maximus1000

1) New cars losed SO much initially and you still owe alot. Trust me I know.
Roger that. Near years end, the 2k2's will be a sweet deal as dealers will want to get rid of them. Can't see myself in the G35 as the my Max has more room all over, have small kids.....I might even get the 2k2 if the price is nice. In fact, I'm visuallizing replacing the 2k2 tail lights with my 2k SE lights. The smoked tails look so much better imo. Mod it and what a sleeper it'll be, especially for people thinking it's a 2k Max coming up from the rear.

Hey, anyone with connections w/Nissan dealers know what kind of prices will be for a fully loaded(Nav, leather, etcc.) 2k2 Max say, six months down the road? thxs.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:46 PM

Quit hating a car cause you bought a different one. Granted the prices are a little close to MSRP now... thats why you wait a while. Sure the stripped down interior isnt perfect, but neither is BMW. Competition is good and this is a good car. If you want to buy your car thats cool but don't make fun of something with no valid reasons.

I think people would be much better suited to listen to this Car and Driver - G35 then to your biased opinion. Try for some constructive criticsm and then your comments might be useful.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:03 PM

Car and Driver - G35

I note that they compare the G35 to your precious car there too

"If the Infiniti G35 had been available for a road test when we rounded up the current crop of mid-size sports sedans and braved the backwoods of West Virginia , it would have outrun all those seven hot sedans to 60 mph, to 100, and through the quarter-mile...

(Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, BMW 330i, Cadillac CTS, Jaguar X-type 3.0, Lexus IS300, Lincoln LS, and Saab 9-3 Viggen.)

Not enough? It would also have stopped from 70 mph in a shorter distance than even the best the Germans could manage. And, while opening a sizable can of whoop-*** on every competitor, the G35's driver and passengers would have been treated to the quietest cabin—with the throttle to the floor or rolling down the highway."
Old 05-08-2002, 01:21 PM

The looks is what's killing the car. And it doesn't matter how fast it is, I still wouldn't buy it. Right before I ordered my car I stood outside the dealership checking out red G35 with $36K sticker price and heard many people say "Damn this car is ugly".
Just another family sedan, nothing more.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:34 PM

I still wouldn't buy it.
I'm not suggesting you buy it... I'm suggesting you make valid arguments.

I'm sure many would agree and disagree about the looks. The fact is its not bad. Personally, I really like it. But thats a personal opinion There are only few cars you can make blanket statements about reffering to their looks.

As for family sedan, I dont realy think so. Thats not what class its in and thats not what it looks like. Most family sedans dont have .26 drag, full aluminum multinlink suspension, rear-drive.

I like BMW, but there not my style. Since your on a Nissan Maxima entusist site, id think you'd be glad their trying to get back in the game in the states. Like I said, you dont have to like it, but competition is good, and this is a competitive car. So make an argument that is worth arguing.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:50 PM

The looks is what's killing the car. And it doesn't matter how fast it is, I still wouldn't buy it. Right before I ordered my car I stood outside the dealership checking out red G35 with $36K sticker price and heard many people say "Damn this car is ugly".
Well, the 3-series is overused and lackluster now anyway, so you really don't have much to talk about...not exactly a head-turner...just another 3-series driving by. Although, I agree with you on the G35 sedan 100%. Ooogly back-end...Nissan did it again. I think the lines of the coupe are significantly better, including the back-end.

All opinions expressed in this email are facts.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:04 PM

Well, the 3-series is overused and lackluster now anyway, so you really don't have much to talk about...not exactly a head-turner...just another 3-series driving by. Although, I agree with you on the G35 sedan 100%. Ooogly back-end...Nissan did it again. I think the lines of the coupe are significantly better, including the back-end.

All opinions expressed in this email are facts.
I like G35 coupe, much better looking car.
I don't know about 3-series being boring though. Sedans are definitely overused, but not coupes. I don't see that many 3-series coupes in my neighborhood.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:05 PM

I don't know about 3-series being boring though. Sedans are definitely overused, but not coupes. I don't see that many 3-series coupes in my neighborhood.
3-series Coupe w/body kit =
Old 05-08-2002, 02:10 PM

Theres 3 on my street, two convertibles and one coupe. But I don't think popularity is a deciding factor. If I did I'd have Daewoo

And the coupe. Yumm

Think about the aftermarket possibilities. If the 350Z takes off then it should be huge, and most the parts could be intercanged or easily modified to fit the different cars. All I gotta say is twin-turbos.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:13 PM

But

When you go up against the coupe down the road, remember to come back and post the results.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:16 PM

Theres 3 on my street, two convertibles and one coupe. But I don't think popularity is a deciding factor. If I did I'd have Daewoo

And the coupe. Yumm

Think about the aftermarket possibilities. If the 350Z takes off then it should be huge, and most the parts could be intercanged or easily modified to fit the different cars. All I gotta say is twin-turbos.:cool
Agree, aftermarket support looks very promising and not as expensive as a bmw one. Well, if I don't like german engineering for some reason, I would consider either 350Z or G35 coupe. ***but NOT G35 sedan***
Old 05-08-2002, 02:28 PM

Agree, aftermarket support looks very promising and not as expensive as a bmw one. Well, if I don't like german engineering for some reason, I would consider either 350Z or G35 coupe. ***but NOT G35 sedan***
Yeah, the only problem I could imagine is the little things. You'll like the car in general. My dad used to have a Porsche, actually 3. Weird crap just always seems to happen, ***** fall off, swithces quit working. My dads Porsches always had engine problems of some sort too. But thats German engineering in general, i don't know if its an issue so much with BMW

One time rats made a home for some of their babys with peices of trash bag on the timing belts. Got about a mile away from the house. The car made an aweful noise and stalled as nearly all the valves hit the pistons. Still have the nest in the garage. Thats just luck though.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:34 PM

Think about the aftermarket possibilities. If the 350Z takes off then it should be huge, and most the parts could be intercanged or easily modified to fit the different cars. All I gotta say is twin-turbos.
Agreed...VQ35DET....we can only hope that NISMO comes through for us. Even without upgrades, the Coupe is going to be a beast.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:45 PM

Yeah, the only problem I could imagine is the little things. You'll like the car in general. My dad used to have a Porsche, actually 3. Weird crap just always seems to happen, ***** fall off, swithces quit working. My dads Porsches always had engine problems of some sort too. But thats German engineering in general, i don't know if its an issue so much with BMW

One time rats made a home for some of their babys with peices of trash bag on the timing belts. Got about a mile away from the house. The car made an aweful noise and stalled as nearly all the valves hit the pistons. Still have the nest in the garage. Thats just luck though.
I know people complain about HK stereo rattles, in coupes especially.
I think the majority of european cars require high maintenance. My mom takes her Volvo to the dealership every month. She used to have a 97 Altima which was flawless, now she's considering a new Altima.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I wouldn't say that the G35's interior is crappy >>

Did you know that 3 series are undergoing(much like Maximas) a body style change? They will be revealed I beleive at the beginning of 03' as 04' models. Hope you're getting the 18's on that 330CI, seen some here in Dallas. Those larger wheels sure do look sweet.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I wouldn't say that the G35's interior is crappy >>

Originally posted by rubman

Did you know that 3 series are undergoing(much like Maximas) a body style change? They will be revealed I beleive at the beginning of 03' as 04' models. Hope you're getting the 18's on that 330CI, seen some here in Dallas. Those larger wheels sure do look sweet.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I wouldn't say that the G35's interior is crappy >>

Originally posted by rubman

New 5-series in 2003, new 3-series in 2005. New M3 in 2006/7.
No, I decided to get 17" M wheels. 18"s are not for boston roads.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Silly enough to buy it? Some people would argue that you were the silly one......

If you're argument is simply looks, isn't that subjective as hell? I've heard people say the don't like the looks of a every car made. What's your point? Some people don't like the looks of the G35 coupe or the 3 series coupe.

Seems like you are saying you like the G coupe's looks, but not the sedan, but agreeing that the 3 series sedan is long in the tooth (which it is). If that's the case, and you bought a 330Ci, then compare the looks of your BMW to the coupe and coupe only. The 3 series coupe is getting old to me too for that matter.

It's all personal preference, but why you feel the need to justify your purchase by degrading other people's choices is beyond me.

And no I don't own a G35. I just hate blanket silly statements.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by Michael1
Silly enough to buy it? Some people would argue that you were the silly one......

If you're argument is simply looks, isn't that subjective as hell? I've heard people say the don't like the looks of a every car made. What's your point? Some people don't like the looks of the G35 coupe or the 3 series coupe.

Seems like you are saying you like the G coupe's looks, but not the sedan, but agreeing that the 3 series sedan is long in the tooth (which it is). If that's the case, and you bought a 330Ci, then compare the looks of your BMW to the coupe and coupe only. The 3 series coupe is getting old to me too for that matter.

It's all personal preference, but why you feel the need to justify your purchase by degrading other people's choices is beyond me.

And no I don't own a G35. I just hate blanket silly statements.
Thank you, drive through.

Quick Reply: Test drove G35 -bad mistake (long)