5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 07:04 PM

2k2 headlight problems

this applys to 2k2's only

sorry in advance if this has been discussed before but a search only resulted in 2k/2k1 to 2k2 HID swap links.

As you know with 2k2s, there is the auto function for the headlights to come on. and when you turn the ignition off and pull the key out, the headlights will stay on for a min or so and shut off.

my problem: today, i parked my car in the garage and the headlights come on (normal since my garage is always dark). I notice that my windows are open, so i put the key in and twist to the acc.2 location. this turns on the headlights and all electrical components. so i raise my windows and then turn the car off.

about 2-3 hours later, i walked back into my garage (to admire the beauty of my maxima) and to my astonishment, the headlights had not automatically turned off. and on top of that, i think the battery was dead enough that my engine woudlnt start! so i had to jump it?

so now, my questoin is has anyone else experienced such a problem? how can i solve it? if i accidently do this again, will my headlights stay on again till my battery runs out of juice once more?

Thansk In Advance
-dan-
Old 05-09-2002, 07:14 PM

Re: 2k2 headlight problems

Originally posted by lildanny61

sorry in advance if this has been discussed before but a search only resulted in 2k/2k1 to 2k2 HID swap links.

As you know with 2k2s, there is the auto function for the headlights to come on. and when you turn the ignition off and pull the key out, the headlights will stay on for a min or so and shut off.

my problem: today, i parked my car in the garage and the headlights come on (normal since my garage is always dark). I notice that my windows are open, so i put the key in and twist to the acc.2 location. this turns on the headlights and all electrical components. so i raise my windows and then turn the car off.

about 2-3 hours later, i walked back into my garage (to admire the beauty of my maxima) and to my astonishment, the headlights had not automatically turned off. and on top of that, i think the battery was dead enough that my engine woudlnt start! so i had to jump it?

so now, my questoin is has anyone else experienced such a problem? how can i solve it? if i accidently do this again, will my headlights stay on again till my battery runs out of juice once more?

Thansk In Advance
-dan-
Ok, did you leave the headlights in the AUTO ON position or on the ON position..? You didnt mention that, cause it can be as simple as forgetting to turn off your headlights.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:19 PM

Re: Re: 2k2 headlight problems

the AUTO ON position....I never take it out of the Auto On posistion

sorry for not clarifying in the original post.

Originally posted by nissanmaximas

Ok, did you leave the headlights in the AUTO ON position or on the ON position..? You didnt mention that, cause it can be as simple as forgetting to turn off your headlights.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LilDanny,

There is a problem with the relay or something. Cause even if you leave the headlights on the ON position, once you take your keys out the iginition, it automatically kills the headlights too. As long as you dont manually turn them off and back on. The Auto position works slightly different. They will not turn on without the key in the ACC2 position. However the ON position will allow them to turn on even in the off position.

I would get it checked out. This is not normal. The auto feature should not turn on the headlights unless you in full mode, now if ACC2 is the full mode, then even then when the keys come out, it should turn them back off.

Dixit
Old 05-09-2002, 07:36 PM

thanks jonx.... i'll have my dealer check it out in a week when i drop the car off for its 1k service.

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
LilDanny,

There is a problem with the relay or something. Cause even if you leave the headlights on the ON position, once you take your keys out the iginition, it automatically kills the headlights too. As long as you dont manually turn them off and back on. The Auto position works slightly different. They will not turn on without the key in the ACC2 position. However the ON position will allow them to turn on even in the off position.

I would get it checked out. This is not normal. The auto feature should not turn on the headlights unless you in full mode, now if ACC2 is the full mode, then even then when the keys come out, it should turn them back off.

Dixit
Old 05-09-2002, 07:52 PM

Re: 2k2 headlight problems

Thansk In Advance
-dan-

this has happened to me TWICE! Really worried me... but it hasn't happened in a while (I was going to talk to the dealer if it happened a third time)... it always happened with the switch set to AUTO.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:33 PM

speaking of the headlights, when i turn mine on i notice that the driver side headlight turns on in an amberish color for about half a second and then goes to the normal color... does this happen to anyone else?
my garage doors are white so you can see when you turn the lights on
Old 05-09-2002, 09:57 PM

happens to mine also. for a split second, its amber then turns a bit bluish/purpulies then goes to its normal super white.

i just think its part of getting the gasses in the bulbs started

Originally posted by JoesMAX
speaking of the headlights, when i turn mine on i notice that the driver side headlight turns on in an amberish color for about half a second and then goes to the normal color... does this happen to anyone else?
my garage doors are white so you can see when you turn the lights on
Old 05-09-2002, 11:33 PM

The initial blue-ish color is caused from the gas when it first ionizes. There are three electrodes in the bulb, two on one side of the bulb (close together but not touching), and one on the other side. The two that are close together ionize the gas in the beginning, and once the gas is ionized then the one from the other side becomes active and one of the two that are next to each other turn off. I found this out i think from www.howstuffworks.com

Also, I use the Auto On feature all the time, and haven't had a problem yet. But I'll certainly pay more attention to it in the future to ensure it is working properly.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: 2k2 headlight problems

the AUTO ON position....I never take it out of the Auto On posistion

sorry for not clarifying in the original post.

If you read the manual, it says do not leave the headlights in Auto. Although the lights will turn off by themselves (After a few minutes)when you take the key out, it specifically says (if I remember reading it correctly) that it is not recommended. I mean, I feel more comfortable putting it to Auto when I feel I'm gonna need them in a little while because its starting to get dark outside.. and if its raining, I know to turn them on myself. I like the Auto feature, but I do not think the intent was to make the headlights work without any user intervention.