5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ok, I Wanna Know Why My Stillen Exhaust Doesnt Make Any Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok, I Wanna Know Why My Stillen Exhaust Doesnt Make Any Noise...

my friends state I might have silencer on it(whatever that is)? The midas guy told me b/c nissan cripped the pipe after the cat & b/c I have a resonator...he said he can cut it off & put a straight pipe welded it on? Anybody know?

p.s.-- thats all i have installed under my car
Old 05-11-2002, 05:12 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Dont remove the resonator, believe me ! THat will get real loud, real FAST ! If you add a Y pipe and headers, you will be loud enough !
Old 05-11-2002, 05:12 PM

I gotta disagree with you on this one, kloogy. Do as the Midas guy suggests, K Pazzo 6. You'll love the result.

PS: Been there, done that! The only time you're going to run into a real noise problem is if you install a Y-pipe at some point in the future. Then you may have to reinstall your resonator. At that point, however, you'll probably opt to have a 2.5" custom catback installed, at which point you'll need a larger resonator anyway.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:17 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Don't you think the noise level will be too high without the resonator...??
Old 05-11-2002, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Don't you think the noise level will be too high without the resonator...??
Nope. I started with a Magnaflow rear section. That just wasn't loud enough. I then removed the resonator and life was beautiful. Then I installed a Y-pipe and life sucked! So I installed a new resonator and life still sucked! I finally reinstalled my stock rear section and life was beautiful again.

Old 05-11-2002, 05:23 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Maybe if I have time, I'll go and see if they can make that for me , without the resonator, I guess I could always have them put it back on if I dont like it. All I know is that every Catback manufacturer uses a resonator on their systems.. Is there a reason for it ?
Old 05-11-2002, 05:31 PM

Maybe if I have time, I'll go and see if they can make that for me , without the resonator, I guess I could always have them put it back on if I dont like it. All I know is that every Catback manufacturer uses a resonator on their systems.. Is there a reason for it ?
I'm not 100% sure about that, kloogy. All I know is that some people on this forum have done nothing but remove their stock resonators with excellent results. And I understand what K Pazzo 6 is talking about. You can barely hear the muffler with the resonator installed. Remove the resonator and life gets grand . . . at least it did for me.

My suspicion as to why catbacks employ resonators is because they tend to use larger diameter pipe. That will increase noise levels.

As you correctly point out, you can always put the resonator back on if the exhaust turns out to be too loud without it. But I rather doubt that will turn out to be the case.
Old 05-11-2002, 05:36 PM
2K1HoMax

as long as u dont have a y-pipe, u can remove the resonator but if u have a y-pipe and no resonator u gotta problem.

Old 05-11-2002, 05:37 PM

yeah dude, i used to have a VR6 and had the resonator taken off by a muffler shop. It sounded really sweet I bet the maxima would sound even better
Old 05-11-2002, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax
as long as u dont have a y-pipe, u can remove the resonator but if u have a y-pipe and no resonator u gotta problem.
Roger that. I'll go you one better. If you've got a Y-pipe, a resonator, and a straight-through muffler, you probably still have a problem.

It took me a long time to come up with what amounts to the perfect setup . . . at least for me. My exhaust system consists of a Y-pipe, RT Cat, 2.5" mandrel bent piping, Magnaflow resonator, and OEM rear section. It's quiet at idle, mean as hell under hard acceleration, and it looks dead stock! And there's absolutely NO DRONING . . . just a nice purr at freeway speeds!!! Suhweet!

What isn't sweet is how many changes I had to make and how much I had to pay to finally get my exhaust system where I wanted it. But I bet there are few people on this forum that have had as many exhaust setups on their Maximas as I have!
Old 05-11-2002, 05:49 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I know ,, thats why I listen to your advice.....
Old 05-11-2002, 05:52 PM

I know ,, thats why I listen to your advice.....
Old 05-11-2002, 06:12 PM
2K1HoMax

the setup o got right now is just the y-pipe and the stillen intake, the sound of the exhaust is extremly quiet just that anoying little beez in a can sound from the pipe, and yes it is heat wrapped. im gettin the RT cat very soon but i was never quite sure if i should leave the stock muffler on and mod the rest of the exhaust, i know ill lose only like 2hp if i leave the stock muffler on. but if i do leave the stock muffler on im gonna remove the resonater, post back if uve tried that mix before, i want some info before i get myself into a mess, i was thinking about the cattman exhaust but i dont know how that sounds with the pipe in place.

Old 05-11-2002, 06:23 PM

the setup o got right now is just the y-pipe and the stillen intake, the sound of the exhaust is extremly quiet just that anoying little beez in a can sound from the pipe, and yes it is heat wrapped. im gettin the RT cat very soon but i was never quite sure if i should leave the stock muffler on and mod the rest of the exhaust, i know ill lose only like 2hp if i leave the stock muffler on. but if i do leave the stock muffler on im gonna remove the resonater, post back if uve tried that mix before, i want some info before i get myself into a mess, i was thinking about the cattman exhaust but i dont know how that sounds with the pipe in place.
First and foremost, exhaust tone and intensity are a matter of taste. What I look for in an exhaust setup is something I can hear but that doesn't drone and doesn't make me worry about being stopped by the local constabulary.

With that in mind, I'd recommend against using a pre-fabricated catback like a Cattman exhaust with a Y-pipe. I suspect you'll find that it will be too loud.

I haven't tried the exact setup you're suggesting, but I think it's worth a try. Install your RT Cat and remove your resonator. Then see what you think. That might turn out to be really sweet. And I wouldn't worry too much about losing hp with the stock rear section. After all, if the OEM muffler design is good enough for a Skyline . . .
Old 05-11-2002, 06:41 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by y2kse

First and foremost, exhaust tone and intensity are a matter of taste. What I look for in an exhaust setup is something I can hear but that doesn't drone and doesn't make me worry about being stopped by the local constabulary.

With that in mind, I'd recommend against using a pre-fabricated catback like a Cattman exhaust with a Y-pipe. I suspect you'll find that it will be too loud.

I haven't tried the exact setup you're suggesting, but I think it's worth a try. Install your RT Cat and remove your resonator. Then see what you think. That might turn out to be really sweet. And I wouldn't worry too much about losing hp with the stock rear section. After all, if the OEM muffler design is good enough for a Skyline . . .
well im goin to try the setup i was suggesting and see what happens as for exhaust noise what i dont want is that Uncle bens sound of rice flyin in all directions(no droning), just a deep tone that gets real nasty under hard acceleration, more of a menacing sound, mean but not anoying, if know of a certain setup that fits the level of sound let me know, but as for now the RT is goin in place so i still got about 2weeks to go before i start goin plug and play with the catback to find the right combo, thanx 4 the info

Old 05-11-2002, 06:45 PM

well im goin to try the setup i was suggesting and see what happens as for exhaust noise what i dont want is that Uncle bens sound of rice flyin in all directions(no droning), just a deep tone that gets real nasty under hard acceleration, more of a menacing sound, mean but not anoying, if know of a certain setup that fits the level of sound let me know, but as for now the RT is goin in place so i still got about 2weeks to go before i start goin plug and play with the catback to find the right combo, thanx 4 the info
Yes. Go with what you have in mind and let us know how it works out.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:56 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by y2kse

Constabulary.....nice word usage.

Tuesday morning I am getting my muffler on. Going with a 2.5" custom catback and Magnaflow muffler. Ripping the resonator out completely. I'm hoping for a bit of roar. I have the Stillen Y pipe and K&N cone intake and OSCAI. I hope it purs nice and loud. This is my first custom car, so right now I'm thinking the louder the better. I'll let you know how it turns out.....
Old 05-11-2002, 07:08 PM
2K1HoMax

good deal, u got basically the same engine setup as i do at the moment, let me know how ur setup turns out, and if the verdict come to rice, im still gonna have to try my setup, but if ur setup sound anything like what i want let me know. i still got about 2weeks before i do anything so any feedback from some1 with a similar exhaust setup helps. just post back how it turns out ill be waiting....

Old 05-11-2002, 07:11 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Having owned V8 Musclecars, "The louder the better " was my motto, but now at almost 30, I like a roar, but nothing too obscene ! I'll leave the Hair Dryer sounds to the local RICERS !
Old 05-11-2002, 08:15 PM
2K1HoMax

too true, i seriously find it soo damn hard to even hear that sound, like 2-3 yrs ago i was like ok cool whatever, now its more like would u please change gears so i dont have to hear that anoying BEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound which i now have come to hate with a passion that im sure most of u understand, and for good reason too, louder is better, but i want it to get loud when i want it to get loud not when im cruisin around and i cant even hear myself think.

Old 05-11-2002, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the responses....I think I'm going to get a y-pipe before I cut the resonator. Which y-pipe do you guys recommend??<
Old 05-12-2002, 04:26 AM
2K1HoMax

the y-pipe that im runnin right now is the stillen peice, i was gonna get a cattman, but after all those fitting problems and that flex section mess i sead forget it. i dont know too much about warpspeed there supposed to make some badass y-pipes but i havent tryed any of them, what i can tell u though is that the still y-pipe makes a weird sound, that bees in a can sound as most refer too, i heat wraped mine (which honestly took longer then the install) but i still got about 3 beez in a can left so to speak, sounds like an exhaust leak but no leaks in my system. its gives the car a real good kick, and mines an auto too, damn thing picks up like its a caddy and pulls harder then ever. other then that no real increase in exhaust noise just more power, in ur five speed it will make 4th gear feel totally diff, its actually gonna pull!!

Old 05-12-2002, 07:23 AM

I'm still a fan of Cattman Y-pipes. To my knowledge, they're still the only Stainless Steel Y-pipes made for 5th Gen Maximas.

I've spoken to Brian about the flex and fitment issues on his previous Y-pipes and his explanations sound reasonable to me. To the best of my knowledge, he has stood behind warranty issues on his pipes. And I know that his new pipes and flex sections are made to even higher standards than his previous pipes and flex sections. So I'd suggest you go with a Cattman Y-pipe. Just make sure you specify that it include one of the new flex sections.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:37 AM

well i think i have to get stainless steel y-pipe, since here in chicago it will rust if not. whats the website to warpspeed to check out there y-pipes?
Old 05-12-2002, 02:46 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6
well i think i have to get stainless steel y-pipe, since here in chicago it will rust if not. whats the website to warpspeed to check out there y-pipes?
well if u live in chicago, go stainless steel, im in AZ so rust isnt really an issue here, i got the stillen 1 cuz its somewhat lighter and i dont have any worrys about rust, http://warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm
thats the warpspeed site, goodluck.

Old 05-12-2002, 04:53 PM

well if u live in chicago, go stainless steel, im in AZ so rust isnt really an issue here, i got the stillen 1 cuz its somewhat lighter and i dont have any worrys about rust, http://warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm
thats the warpspeed site, goodluck.
thanks