5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AEM CAI and popcharger comparison of 2K2 Altima

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 10:19 PM

AEM CAI and popcharger comparison of 2K2 Altima

I know the 2K2 Altima V6 is a different car than the 2K2 Maxima, but there engines are quite similar obviously. I was looking at AEM's site and they show some pretty impressive gains for the 2K2 Altima, especially with the CAI. Unfortunately they dont show a system available for the 2K2 Maxima . I believe the CAI showed a 12 or so hp increase and around a 10ft-lb increase. Something else I noticed is that the CAI held out high end power much longer than the short ram. This flies in the face of most org thinking on CAI vs pop charger. I know on my 2001 Prelude, the short ram/pop charger actually lost power compared to stock and only the CAI gained around 7whp. I dont want to open up the old pop vs CAI debate, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this too.

On another note, I found on Injens website that it showed a 16whp increase as well for the CAI. I know they did the pull in third instead of forth, but wouldn't the results be the same amount of gain/loss in fourth? I looked on Steve's website of frankencar.com and it seemed that his intake upped highend horsepower very little compared to Injens and AEMs findings. Also, his intake seems to have ALOT of dips and spikes compared to stock. I'm not knocking Steve's intake at all, goodness knows I love the sound, but I was wondering how this could be. I just have a hard time believing that both AEM and Injen are trying to scam us.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:50 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Trying to scam you... ?? Come on, big aftermarket companies can get info to back anything they want to say. I wouldnt "TRUST" anything they say. So bby relocating the filter to the floor, where i can suck up 110 degree temperatures going through the Mojave desert, instead of the 95 degree air rushing in through the grill. Sorry. But until someone can take the SAME car, and pull DYNOS for a Franken, and a WHOMEVER CAI, I'll stick to the Franken.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
Trying to scam you... ?? Come on, big aftermarket companies can get info to back anything they want to say. I wouldnt "TRUST" anything they say. So bby relocating the filter to the floor, where i can suck up 110 degree temperatures going through the Mojave desert, instead of the 95 degree air rushing in through the grill. Sorry. But until someone can take the SAME car, and pull DYNOS for a Franken, and a WHOMEVER CAI, I'll stick to the Franken.
Personally I didnt like the frankencar intake (not just because I had to have my car towed to dealer to get a new MAF) but whenever I opened my hood, the filter was almost too hot to touch. the "95" degrees air rushing through the grill" is nice, but if the filter gets heated up from the engine when you are sitting at a light or not moving, the whole intake will be hot and hurt performance. I placed an order for an Injen CAI a few days ago, because it is the only cai that doesnt require drilling so IF my MAF dies again, the dealer can waist another $866 fixing my car again.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by SmokinOdum

Personally I didnt like the frankencar intake (not just because I had to have my car towed to dealer to get a new MAF) but whenever I opened my hood, the filter was almost too hot to touch. the "95" degrees air rushing through the grill" is nice, but if the filter gets heated up from the engine when you are sitting at a light or not moving, the whole intake will be hot and hurt performance. I placed an order for an Injen CAI a few days ago, because it is the only cai that doesnt require drilling so IF my MAF dies again, the dealer can waist another $866 fixing my car again.
I agree. I think I'm gonna put my stock intake back on this afternoon to see how it feels again.
Old 05-12-2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by SmokinOdum

please let us know how the injen cai works and how it fits. im real interested in getting one, but im kinda skeptical.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:56 PM

Well, I drove around for a couple of hours with the stock intake and have to say I'm sorely disappointed. I guess the frankencar intake really does improve top end performance. With the stock intake it was really noticeable of the power drop off after 5000 rpms. I guess I'll put the frankencar back on........at least until I get an Injen CAI to test!
Old 05-12-2002, 08:11 PM

What about just putting in a K&N drop-in filter for the summer and using the stock air scoop. Thats about as close as a cold air system that has come out yet for the 2k2's and its only 40 bucks. Might be restrictive, but its cooler. I just sent an email to Frankencar and asked if the pipe he sells with his intake would fit in place with the stock air box. They you could eliminate that air silencer baffle thing and have a heat shielded K@N.

Jesse
Old 05-12-2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
What about just putting in a K&N drop-in filter for the summer and using the stock air scoop. Thats about as close as a cold air system that has come out yet for the 2k2's and its only 40 bucks. Might be restrictive, but its cooler. I just sent an email to Frankencar and asked if the pipe he sells with his intake would fit in place with the stock air box. They you could eliminate that air silencer baffle thing and have a heat shielded K@N.

Jesse
Hmm, I am not sure how this gona work..

I installed my FrankenCar intake this weekend and really like how it sounds.. Seems like power is up, but I can't really tell yet..
Low end seems to be the same. Maybe a little loss.

My concern is that temperature soon going to climb into the 90s and I am just wondering to see how this intake is going to perform?

Steve was saying something about some heat shield for the Intake, but I am not sure if it is being made yet?

I left my front air scoop and I am thiking of attaching some tube to the end of it and pointing it more directly towards the filter. Not sure if it will make any difference or add power.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:29 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I have the Frankencar intake too and love it. I am switching from a M/F filter to a K&N soon.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:31 PM

That is one thing I'm definately going to do....buy the K&N instead of the crappy Monster filter thats on there. Too rice boy for me.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:39 PM

I just installed my Berk Tuning Intake, but without the K&N filter it comes with. I installed a generic Matrix-type filter, w/Open top design. I am still waiting for cobymoby to send me the K&N open-top design filter, which should perform better than the one I'm using now.

The sound is incredible above 3000rpm, no hissing, just a sweet rumble!!! Sounds like a turbo w/exhaust, and it constantly turns heads! As far as performance, it seems quicker to respond at high rpms, but down low it's just normal. I wouldn't say it's a power loss, but no gains under normal driving. And the weird thing is after "punching it" every so often (poor tranny), my digital MPG readout is higher than normal!... 23MPG... we'll see how it holds up in the long run.

But it is EXTREMELY hot to the touch! The filter has a polished rim & it's soooo hot you can't touch it. I think this would hurt low-end performance. Maybe K&N w/OSCAI & ramair for summer & Berk w/K&N for winter. I've read some people have great results w/ramair oscai setup (not just plain oscai)

G
Old 05-12-2002, 10:50 PM

I'm definately waiting for the frankencar heatshield since the temps are rising each day here. The only reason I put the stock intake back on was just to compare. Trust me, I can assure you that the frankencar intake is well worth it and gives very noticeable gains.