5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

y-pipe install? and brushed aluminum dash kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 10:54 AM

y-pipe install? and brushed aluminum dash kit?

2 questions if you guys could help out...

1. I was at an auto care place, and asked if the guy had ever heard of putting a y-pipe on a car, and if he could, how much? I want to add one to the max, and really don't think I'd be able to do so myself. Basically he told me that it's against federal law to put that on, b/c you can only touch from the cat on back. So, where are you guys getting them put on? or are you doing them yourselves? I really don't have too much experience installing such things, besides just changing my oil, and a few easy external mods.

2. Saw a forum member at a Kroger in ATL, or rather just his car in the parking lot. Sorry to peek, but noticed what looked like some brushed aluminum on the dash, like in the middle, and the air vents. It looked damn pimp! Where can I look into getting some of this, and is it tough to install/expensive to pay someone?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2002, 11:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Can't help you with the Y pipe but I can help you with the aluminum dash. Email me at larry98@ev1.net for pics. The price is $215 for 89-2K2 Maximas.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:49 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Just because they are illegal, doesn't mean that places wont put them on. Everyone here is putting them on before the catalytic converter. I don't get emmissions for another 3 years, so I'm good to go.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by asu174
Just because they are illegal, doesn't mean that places wont put them on. Everyone here is putting them on before the catalytic converter. I don't get emmissions for another 3 years, so I'm good to go.
What about the moral implications of installing the y-pipe? Adding to the pollution problem just to gain 15-20HP? I'm no tree hugger, but when I'm hacking and wheezing and I feel like sh*t because of the pollution, at least I know I didn't contribute to it.

I just bought a used Y-pipe but haven't installed it for this reason...
Old 05-12-2002, 01:03 PM

so basically I should just keep calling or asking around until I find someone? Is the install really that difficult, b/c on second thought, I have a friend who does a ton of racing...I might be able to ask him for some help. I'd just hate to screw something up, and screw up the car, b/c then that's a lot more $$ down the drain then the few hundred for the pipe.

Looked at some pics of the dash kit. Would still be nice to see some pics of it in a max. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Tanmann9

What about the moral implications of installing the y-pipe? Adding to the pollution problem just to gain 15-20HP? I'm no tree hugger, but when I'm hacking and wheezing and I feel like sh*t because of the pollution, at least I know I didn't contribute to it.

I totally agree with you on this one. I won't use the fact that FL doesn't check for emissions, but rather the only reason I look into it if b/c I was under the impression that after 20 minutes or so the emissions would be legal.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:44 PM

Adding to the pollution? What the hell are you talking about? The car will still pass emmissions. It is just a federal law that you are not allowed to mess with anything before the catalytic converter.

But the reason they are illegal is not because of the Y Pipe having higher emmissions- but because the federal government has told us that we are not allowed to touch anything before the catalytic converter..... From what I understand, emmissions will be slightly higher, but take any SUV on the road and I'll guarantee our emmissions are lower......

Well, I'll sleep better at night knowing that you aren't installing your Y-pipe. The air will be clean once again!
Old 05-12-2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by GetSome681

so basically I should just keep calling or asking around until I find someone? Is the install really that difficult, b/c on second thought, I have a friend who does a ton of racing...I might be able to ask him for some help. I'd just hate to screw something up, and screw up the car, b/c then that's a lot more $$ down the drain then the few hundred for the pipe.

Looked at some pics of the dash kit. Would still be nice to see some pics of it in a max. Thanks.
Call some muffler shops.... It cost me $50 to have them do it.

The shop who put mine on said it was a nightmare. The funny thing is that Stillen gave this part a "one wrench" (super easy) install rating.... It took the guys like 2 hours to do. But mine is Cal spec so I might be different.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:53 PM

Just because it passes emissions doesn't mean it's cool to do it. Just because you can get away with a lot of illegal stuff, doesn't mean it's right to do it. And just because it's not illegal, doesn't mean it's right.

But the reason they are illegal is not because of the Y Pipe having higher emmissions- the federal government has told us that we are not allowed to touch anything before the catalytic converter...
I'm guessing they just made that law for the fun of it? We're not allowed to touch it for the very reason of emissions and pollution.

As far as SUVs, they're a part of the problem too. But I don't drive one, so it doesn't concern me. I'm concerned about my part in the equation.

One vote doesn't count right? Another 50 cc\day of pollution won't hurt right? Right...
Old 05-12-2002, 02:09 PM

Just because it passes emissions doesn't mean it's cool to do it. Just because you can get away with a lot of illegal stuff, doesn't mean it's right to do it. And just because it's not illegal, doesn't mean it's right.

I'm guessing they just made that law for the fun of it? We're not allowed to touch it for the very reason of emissions and pollution.

As far as SUVs, they're a part of the problem too. But I don't drive one, so it doesn't concern me. I'm concerned about my part in the equation.

One vote doesn't count right? Another 50 cc\day of pollution won't hurt right? Right...
Well when they stop selling SUV's and other various assault vehicles that get 8 mpg, maybe I'll give in. But I'm enjoying it while emmissions are lax and we have fossil fuel to burn! God Bless America!