5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Homelink Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 08:30 PM

Homelink Transmitter

where is the homelink transmitter in our car? More specifically, where is the module that transmits the signal to open/close the garage, on/off exterior lights, etc. mine seems so weak that i have to be within 15ft or so of the unit before it responds to me pushing the button.

is there anyway to make the signal stronger?
Old 05-14-2002, 09:08 PM

Re: Homelink Transmitter

Originally posted by lildanny61
where is the homelink transmitter in our car? More specifically, where is the module that transmits the signal to open/close the garage, on/off exterior lights, etc. mine seems so weak that i have to be within 15ft or so of the unit before it responds to me pushing the button.

This isn't really an answer to your question but my with my 2K2 the homelink works within about 50-80 feet of the garage door (which is another 10 feet from the antenna of the motor). You might try improving the antenna of the motor (some times installers leave the antenna coiled up inside the unit). I've also found that I need to hold the homelink transmitter far longer than I did my old transmitter. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Homelink works from the end of my street, quite a bit further than my Craftsman opener. I do have to hold it a couple of secs longer than my original opener. Sound like you have problem, dealer?
Old 05-15-2002, 03:14 PM

I have the exact same problem. About 15 feet is the range. My door opener is approx. 12 years old. I wonder if that is the problem? How old are the openers of the people who posted in this thread?
Old 05-15-2002, 03:32 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

does anyone here have the rolling code on their garage. ive put on a ypipe, rsb and other bolts ons with no problem but i cant get the garage to open because of the rolling code. any suggestions or advice?
Old 05-15-2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by sloppymax
does anyone here have the rolling code on their garage. ive put on a ypipe, rsb and other bolts ons with no problem but i cant get the garage to open because of the rolling code. any suggestions or advice?
Mine works fine from about 200 feet or so too which is a lot better than my Craftsman remote.
I do have the Craftsman opener with rolling codes. There should have been additional info included with your owners manual on how to program your garage opener with or without rolling codes. Sorry, I don't remember the exact procedure but you need 2 people to program it correctly...one in the car to program the HomeLink and one outside to program the opener.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:55 PM

Mine is a Genie with rolling code technology. I was able to program the homelink button in my Max using the rolling code procedure, but it took three tries to get it done. (I think I was not following instructions exactly). I do have to hold down the button for several seconds to open either mine or my friend's (homelink button #2) garage door. In either case, the transmit range seems to be at least 200-300ft.
Originally posted by tomcat

Yes. Mine is the rolling billion or so code type. It was their top of the line screw drive model for that year.

Tomcat
Old 05-16-2002, 05:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sloppymax
http://www.homelink.com

Just follow the walkthrough instructions for programming a standard garage door opener. Part way through the "wizard" you'll find a link that refers to programming rolling code openers. For some reason I always have to follow the steps completely two times. ??? I have a Genie Intellicode opener I bought in 1999. Hope this helps ...
Old 05-16-2002, 05:28 AM

My 97 did not work with rolling code but the 02 is designed to accomodate the feature and works fine from ~ 75'.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:04 AM

Last night, I followed the instructions in the FAQ at http://www.homelink.com for increasing the range and it at least tripled my range. Try it.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Homelink Transmitter

Originally posted by skeezix

Last night, I followed the instructions in the FAQ at http://www.homelink.com for increasing the range and it at least tripled my range. Try it.
Wow, I was wondering what the other 2 buttons were for. I didn't know you could program other appliances with that thing. Does anybody use the Homelink to activate anything else in your house? What do you have to do?
Old 05-16-2002, 02:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Homelink Transmitter

Originally posted by suds1

Wow, I was wondering what the other 2 buttons were for. I didn't know you could program other appliances with that thing. Does anybody use the Homelink to activate anything else in your house? What do you have to do?
Old 05-16-2002, 03:43 PM

Great luck

Sounds like I got really lucky in programming mine. I have my door programed (with rolling code) and my parents the same. Got it within 2 tries. works better than the regular controller.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:08 PM
lcf

Re: Re: Homelink Transmitter

Originally posted by skeezix

where exactly?
Old 05-16-2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by lcf
where exactly?
There are more little things than helpful...replace the batt (no batt) and straighten the recieving wire on the opener.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by lcf
where exactly?
Do you mean where is the info on the Homelink website? In the FAQ section. Scroll down about half way, under "Range troubleshooting tips:" I reprogrammed with a fresh battery in the remote control.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Homelink Transmitter

Originally posted by tomcat

I was going to do my house alarm ...but thought... bad idea.... thief steals my car and has access to my house as well.

One of my buttons is tied in with an X10 controller that I have setup for lighting within the house.

Tomcat
What all is involved in doing that. I guess you have to have some sort of home automation device already in the house controlling lights, etc?
Old 05-17-2002, 11:35 AM

tomcat:

thought i was the only one with a max and into the home automation ... i use the center button to activate macros when i come home .... turn on certain light .. i then use the left button to completly shut down the house daytime and the right to do so at night and dim the hall light to 65% ....

i have full CCD cameras around the house integrated with the hoem automation ....control heat/ac from anywher in the house and or cell phone including the sprinklers .... its cheap now and very convient.

neil
Old 05-17-2002, 12:17 PM

My home Link doesnt work. Is it because I have Genie opener??