5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

starting problem, help requested (please!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 04:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

starting problem, help requested (please!)

my 2k maxima would not start up so i looked under the hood and the bracket that connects the air intake thing was disconnected and the sensor that plugs in was also disconnected, i connected them and it still took 15+ tries for it to start (continunous start attempts), the bracket and sensor and both now in place but i still have the same problem starting my car.. when i start it up and turn it off, if i start it again relatively soon (hours) itll start on the first try but with a bit of trouble, while if the car has been off for 12+ hours itll take 15+ tries to start again.. any ideas on what i can do to fix this? i dont think its a starter problem or wire problem because i can hear the starting noise fine but it sounds like the car is stalling
Old 05-15-2002, 04:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: starting problem, help requested (please!)

Originally posted by a maxima owner
my 2k maxima would not start up so i looked under the hood and the bracket that connects the air intake thing was disconnected and the sensor that plugs in was also disconnected, i connected them and it still took 15+ tries for it to start (continunous start attempts), the bracket and sensor and both now in place but i still have the same problem starting my car.. when i start it up and turn it off, if i start it again relatively soon (hours) itll start on the first try but with a bit of trouble, while if the car has been off for 12+ hours itll take 15+ tries to start again.. any ideas on what i can do to fix this? i dont think its a starter problem or wire problem because i can hear the starting noise fine but it sounds like the car is stalling
Were you ever able to sucessfully start the car wih the senros disconnected? Was it the MAF sensor?
Old 05-15-2002, 04:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

it was never able to start without the sensors and bracket connected.. im not sure what sensor it is, it is not the one that screws in, but the one that you have to "stick" in
Old 05-15-2002, 09:46 AM

it was never able to start without the sensors and bracket connected.. im not sure what sensor it is, it is not the one that screws in, but the one that you have to "stick" in
Any idea why your MAFS plug came un-done in the first place? These things don't just un-plug them selves. I would look around your intake and see if anything is loose, you may have a air leak somewhere which is causing "false air" to go into the engine and in return your car is running to lean. Once the car is started is the idle ok? If your idle is fine that means there is no false air getting in but if it is idleing real funny I would definatly look around for a air leak. Also make sure everything else is plugged in. BTW even if your MAFS is unplugged the car should still be able to start (it won't move tough).
Old 05-15-2002, 02:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by emax95

Any idea why your MAFS plug came un-done in the first place? These things don't just un-plug them selves. I would look around your intake and see if anything is loose, you may have a air leak somewhere which is causing "false air" to go into the engine and in return your car is running to lean. Once the car is started is the idle ok? If your idle is fine that means there is no false air getting in but if it is idleing real funny I would definatly look around for a air leak. Also make sure everything else is plugged in. BTW even if your MAFS is unplugged the car should still be able to start (it won't move tough).
once the car starts, it runs 100% perfectly..
Old 05-15-2002, 04:46 PM

once the car starts, it runs 100% perfectly..
Would you like to answer teh rest of questions so that I can help diagnose the problem? Liek how did your MAFS wire become un-plugged? If your car runs fine once it is started in means your MAFS is fine and you don't have a air leak behind the MAFS. There are two crank position sensors that can cause starting problems like this too. One is under your crank pulley and the other is on the transmission, check to make sure no one un-plugged these too.
Old 05-17-2002, 01:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by emax95

Would you like to answer teh rest of questions so that I can help diagnose the problem? Liek how did your MAFS wire become un-plugged? If your car runs fine once it is started in means your MAFS is fine and you don't have a air leak behind the MAFS. There are two crank position sensors that can cause starting problems like this too. One is under your crank pulley and the other is on the transmission, check to make sure no one un-plugged these too.
no, i have no idea why the sensor got unplugged, there are no noticable leaks in any of the intake piping, when the car starts it idles fine, sometimes when i try to start it it sounds like its about to work then stalls, but once the engine gets going its fine
Old 05-17-2002, 07:35 AM

I share emax95's concern about why the MAF sensor came loose in the first place. It should not have done that. Check to make sure that the sensor wiring wasn't damaged. Then, just for laughs and giggles, reset your ECU by removing your battery cables and letting your car sit overnight. That's kind of a long shot, but it's worth a try.

Good luck!