5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Quad exhaust tips = V8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 06:28 PM
Very sound, Mike

Quad exhaust tips = V8?

To the laymen that's usually the case, 1 tip = 4 cylinder, 2 = 6.. etc. Though i know it's not usually the case, but i am curious. Do you think that alleged 6th gen Maxima that Brian dutifully shared photo's of sports a V8 under the hood?

As i posted in his thread i did notice 4 tips emanating from under the rear bumper (after some lighting correction)

What can one guess from that? Or is it just too much of a variable that it's worthless guessing at this point.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:40 PM

they could be just for looks. isnt 1 of the Altima's dual exhausts a fake?
Old 05-15-2002, 06:47 PM

Those tips also look virtually identical new the previous generation Z's quad tips. So, who knows.
Originally posted by Newman
they could be just for looks. isnt 1 of the Altima's dual exhausts a fake?
Old 05-15-2002, 06:49 PM
swallac2

The M3 has quad exhaust (only two mufflers). My old Firebird Formula V8 had one muffler, with two outlets. It's really up to the manufacturer. Most trucks only have one outlet.

Old 05-15-2002, 08:24 PM

The exhaust look is all cosmetic. Most cars don't have true dual exhaust. If they did there would be two mufflers, two cats, and two pre-cats. In other words the headers on either side would have there own exit system. four cylinder engines can't have true dual exhaust systems. My point is most manufactures do it for cosmetic reasons.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:12 PM

Remember, it also has to "look" much faster than the Altima, cause you'll be spending much more for it.

But a V8 is just fine with me!!!

G
Old 05-15-2002, 10:24 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

If thats the future Maxx, I guess I just bought my first and ONLY Maxx, I'll just go to Infinity in a few years ...I didnt want an Altima, so dont make my Maxx look like it !
Old 05-15-2002, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by swallac2
The M3 has quad exhaust (only two mufflers). My old Firebird Formula V8 had one muffler, with two outlets. It's really up to the manufacturer. Most trucks only have one outlet.
I agree it is up to the manufacturer
Old 05-15-2002, 10:33 PM
lcf

alls i know is that is a fugly car.

the 5th gen grew on me, but there is no way this will.

Old 05-15-2002, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by lcf

Yea judging a car's design when you can only see the bodyshape and not any of the details is good.

The Altima 2.5 has two tips and it's a 4 banger...so did a bunch of other cars.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by lcf

Ditto. It looks tall and bubly. Totally huge next to that accord. No thanks...
Old 05-16-2002, 04:53 AM
Blu
the tits

hmmmm v8 that would be nice but not with that body design and yes i know its a prototype but the 350z proto did change too much from the production model so who can tell
Old 05-16-2002, 06:42 AM

I don't know where this rumor is coming from but there is no way that they can put a V8 in this car. The next generation Max is based on the Altima platform which is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! All these guys that keep speculating about a V8 Max have no foundation in fact. I seriously doubt that Nissan can stick a V8 in this platform and if they did, it would be so plagued with torque-steer it would be dangerous to drive.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:47 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by Phydeaux
I don't know where this rumor is coming from but there is no way that they can put a V8 in this car. The next generation Max is based on the Altima platform which is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! All these guys that keep speculating about a V8 Max have no foundation in fact. I seriously doubt that Nissan can stick a V8 in this platform and if they did, it would be so plagued with torque-steer it would be dangerous to drive.
i say bring it on
Old 05-16-2002, 07:14 AM

I dont think that it will have a V8 either, but not because i believe its impossible, or because of torque steer. Caddy's are V8 front drive. I just think nissan wont do it cause it'll suck like a caddy.

My hope would be the VQ35 at around 280HP and AWD from the Murano, which is also based on the Altima. And an option of the CVT from the Murano or a 6 speed Just a thought.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:52 AM

um...

I thought we had already established that it would be RWD w/ the 8 as an option - no torque steer there.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:59 AM

Re: um...

Originally posted by noflash
I thought we had already established that it would be RWD w/ the 8 as an option - no torque steer there.
The 2004 Maxima is based on a FWD platform - you must be still on the 350Z topic which is RWD.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:00 AM

Re: Re: um...

The 2004 Maxima is based on a FWD platform - you must be still on the 350Z topic which is RWD.
all of these are rumors. neither of you know for sure.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:07 AM

Re: Re: um...

Since when does a platform denote exclusivity to one form of drivetrain? Please explain to me why they can't just turn the engine 90 degrees add a drive shaft to a rear differential and make it rear wheel drive. Your logic is beyond me.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: um...

Originally posted by Newman

all of these are rumors. neither of you know for sure.
Read the story on the main page of this site www.maxima.org. I think it's a pretty valid source.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: um...

Read the story on the main page of this site www.maxima.org. I think it's a pretty valid source.
I didn't see anything about RW/FWD in those articles.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: um...

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Since when does a platform denote exclusivity to one form of drivetrain? Please explain to me why they can't just turn the engine 90 degrees add a drive shaft to a rear differential and make it rear wheel drive. Your logic is beyond me.

Can't do it. This is not possible in a car designed from the ground up as a FWD vehicle. Too many issues with engine mounting, transmission mounting, drive train clearances, torque dispersion, rear suspension mounting, shift linkages, weight transfer, handling changes, etc, etc.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: um...

Ugh!!!!

Think about it, this has been discussed before. IF the new Max was gonna be rear drive it would be based on the FM platform (350Z, G35, G35 Sport Coupe) or the Q45 platform (Q45, FX45, M45). Why and how would they reverse engineer a front drive platform to rear drive when they already have two succesful rear drive platforms?

I think your underestimating the abount of engineering invoved.

The only thing that would be reasonable is FWD or the AWD system from the Murano. The Murano, which is based off the Altima, still has a horizontally mounted engine so the only new platform enginearing involved is making room for a driveshaft, rear diff and axles.

Making it V8 RWD is completely illogical since we know its based off the Altima.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: um...

It says "The Maxima and the Altima will share the same platform when the next generation Maxima is released." The Altima is a FWD car.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: um...

Originally posted by 97GLE

Ugh!!!!

Think about it, this has been discussed before. IF the new Max was gonna be rear drive it would be based on the FM platform (350Z, G35, G35 Sport Coupe) or the Q45 platform (Q45, FX45, M45). Why and how would they reverse engineer a front drive platform to rear drive when they already have two succesful rear drive platforms?

I think your underestimating the abount of engineering invoved.

The only thing that would be reasonable is FWD or the AWD system from the Murano. The Murano, which is based off the Altima, still has a horizontally mounted engine so the only new platform enginearing involved is making room for a driveshaft, rear diff and axles.

Making it V8 RWD is completely illogical since we know its based off the Altima.
Good point 97GLE. Given that the Murano platform has AWD, it is remotely possible for AWD in the Max but I suspect the added weight could offset any significant performance increase. I'd also hate to think about how much that would cost, though.

We need to put to rest any thought of a RWD V8 Max at least for the 6th generation.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:46 AM

yes, it's all speculation but...

Come on. We must be missing something. There is no way the next gen Max will come out with less than 260hp. The next logical step is a V8 pushing near 300. The 02's have tons of torque steer as they are now. I don't see how the 6th gen can be FWD - no way. Also, not that they know a damn thing, a local dealer here said RWD is what he heard.

Let's compromise and say the most logical step is an AWD V-8 with an ugly butt.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: um...

Good point 97GLE. Given that the Murano platform has AWD, it is remotely possible for AWD in the Max but I suspect the added weight could offset any significant performance increase. I'd also hate to think about how much that would cost, though.

We need to put to rest any thought of a RWD V8 Max at least for the 6th generation.
Personally, I don't have a problem with a horizontally mounted AWD car. WRX... A6... Well see, its all speculation now.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:50 AM

Re: yes, it's all speculation but...

I think we can agree on one thing:

It will have an ugly butt.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:54 AM

Re: yes, it's all speculation but...

Come on. We must be missing something. There is no way the next gen Max will come out with less than 260hp. The next logical step is a V8 pushing near 300. The 02's have tons of torque steer as they are now. I don't see how the 6th gen can be FWD - no way. Also, not that they know a damn thing, a local dealer here said RWD is what he heard.

Let's compromise and say the most logical step is an AWD V-8 with an ugly butt.
The reason the 2k2 max has a lot of torque steer is because this platform has been around since '95. It's a throwback to when Nissan was cutting costs. From what I've heard tourque steer isn't noticable on the new Altima, and don't think it cant be done. My friend has a CL-S and as much hate as people have for those cars, they have plenty of power and no noticeable torque steer. Having that much power and rear drive makes way too much internal competition for Nissan/Infiniti. My guess its going to be the sporty V6 Accord/Camry/Avalon competitor. Not some V8 beast.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:33 PM

Re: Re: yes, it's all speculation but...

Originally posted by 97GLE

The reason the 2k2 max has a lot of torque steer is because this platform has been around since '95. It's a throwback to when Nissan was cutting costs. From what I've heard tourque steer isn't noticable on the new Altima, and don't think it cant be done. My friend has a CL-S and as much hate as people have for those cars, they have plenty of power and no noticeable torque steer.
Uh... my friend's TL-S has PLENTY of torque steer, even with the stability control system on!

BTW: I LUV TORQUE STEER ~~~~

G
Old 05-16-2002, 01:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: yes, it's all speculation but...

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE

Uh... my friend's TL-S has PLENTY of torque steer, even with the stability control system on!

BTW: I LUV TORQUE STEER ~~~~

G
I'll take your word for it, but even car and driver commented that they couldnt find a hint of tourque steer in the CL-S with a 6 Speed and the Limited Slip. I find it hard to believe the the amount in your friends compares to the amount in the Max. No matter what my freind does in his car it goes the way the wheels pointed when its dry. I know you can make it torque steer over crests, on tight corners, or when its wet, but its not as bad as in the max.

I'm not bashing the Max, just saying that their are many options to minimize torque steer on front drive cars. If the Maxima goes RWD then the price will skyrocket or they will have to make the interior comparable to the Altima. Im just trying to make the point that RWD V8 is unlikely, an not necasarily the best option.