5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I am beyond ****ed at nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 06:55 PM

I am beyond ****ed at nissan

this week, i hit 1k miles and so i decided to drop it off at the dealer to get its 1k service and underbody coating done. i've heard some horror stories over at audiworld.com about things being stolen, cars driven for 100 miles, dents, scratches, etc so i carefully took inventory of everything, made sure everything valuvable was out of the car, checked the milage and gave the car a through exterior visual inspection. the car is flawless. maybe a little bit dirty, but flawless

i drop my car off tuesday morning at the dealer where they tell me everything will be done by 5pm. I say okay. they provide me with a rental car (geo metro) i say okay, so i dont have the best car in the world, but its okay. only for a few hours. So i give the dealer a call later that evening, and they say that they werent able to get to it and they would do it during after hours (overnight) and get it done atleast by morning. I say fine. i call them in the morning, and they tell me they were unable to get to it, EVEN IN AFTER HOURS. at this point im getting a little aggravated. I call in at noon, and my car is STILL NOT FINISHED. they tell me they will have it done soon. i say okay. im fine with that. At 5pm, im about to call them, when they call me.

i drive to the dealer. i get there take one look at my car and my jaw just drops. some ***got left a 5 inch GUAGE, not a small scrath, but a ****ing CANYON in my ****ing door. its a guaged out into the metal. im sitting there shocked. I tell the guy that i know i hadnt put that in the door. he says "well, i dont know what happened" at this point im fuming i tell him to go find out who did it and that they will be fixing it. he says okay and says sorry for it. he tells me the dealership will fix it. i tell him i dont have time and that i'm going home. i go home, give the car a quick check down, and find other hair sized scratches all over the car.

i am ****ed. royally ****ed. i know that the scrach they put in my car cant be just "touched up". i am gong to demand they repaint it or even give me a whole new freakin panel.

do i have to go to my dealer where i purchased my car to get all the service done? or can i go to any nissan dealer?

oh and for those of you wondering what dealer i went to. Star Nissan in Skokie, illinois. avoid them like the plague
Old 05-16-2002, 06:59 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

as much as I love this car, I freakin hate Nissan service.

Sorry about your car dude. I would be freakin fuming and ready to kill some people
Old 05-16-2002, 07:00 PM

service sux @ss ....

at most dealerships.... i had to sit 6 hrs for them to reprogram my ecu... they did not realise i had cali emmisions
Old 05-16-2002, 07:04 PM

Re: I am beyond ****ed at nissan

i'd be mad as well. I think u better take it back to the original dealer and get it fixed there first. Talk to the manager right away.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:08 PM

call Nissan as well--it may not help, but then again it could speed up the process
Old 05-16-2002, 07:09 PM

Re: Re: I am beyond ****ed at nissan

Originally posted by Trunksu
i'd be mad as well. I think u better take it back to the original dealer and get it fixed there first. Talk to the manager right away.
i plan on talking to the manager and might demand a new panel. this is just absurd. and supposedly this is nissans "one of the top 10% of the dealers they have" my a$$....

stuff like this makes me think i shoulda gotten a lexus instead. every time my friend drops off his IS300, he get pampered. complementary wash/wax, their showroom has free food and drinks, loaner cars are lexus'. service is ON TIME.

nissan could learn a thing or to about them.

any place where i can write a formal complaint to Nissan of America?
Old 05-16-2002, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would demand a new car.. Thats just complete BS!
Old 05-16-2002, 07:14 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

hehe..

wanna really pi$$ them off? make a police report on it. call your insurance about it, take it somewhere else to be fixed.. your insurance will send them the bill!

but you wont ever be able to go back there.. not that you would. I've had crap like that happen with Nissan.. I dont let them fix their mistakes. I dont trust them to fix it correctly (what they damaged). I make them pay the other nissan dealer if I can...
Old 05-16-2002, 07:49 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Re: I am beyond ****ed at nissan

Originally posted by lildanny61
stuff like this makes me think i shoulda gotten a lexus instead. every time my friend drops off his IS300, he get pampered. complementary wash/wax, their showroom has free food and drinks, loaner cars are lexus'. service is ON TIME.
This is one of the hidden and often-overlooked advantages of buying a luxury brand car in the US. You don't have to deal with incompetent fools at service, and they have every reason to get your car done as quickly as possible without any problems because you're tying up one of their lonaer cars that they need for other people!
Old 05-16-2002, 08:02 PM

ME TOO~!!!!

STAR!? The STAR dealer near me insulted me and then refused to fix my 2k2 clutch~!! Its on Northern Blvd in NYC... AVOID THEM as well~!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....9&pagenumber=4
Old 05-16-2002, 08:39 PM

oh and for those of you wondering what dealer i went to. Star Nissan in Skokie, illinois. avoid them like the plague
DARNED, that sucks BIG TIME! I had to bring mine to the dealership for the pedal recall and I was so friggin' scared! Good thing there was no damage. Such a relief after I inspected my car once they were done with the service... I took mine to Glendale Nissan, but I wouldn't recommend them.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm in IL too.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:57 PM

that totally sucks! demand a new car!
Old 05-16-2002, 09:21 PM

Hey, when i first got my car, i brought it into Nissan to have them look at the sunroof. cuz it leaked. When i brought it in, the panel that slides under it, worked fine. When i finally got the call 2 days later, they told me $2400 to get it fixed. After laughing and finding a way to deal with it, i took back my car and noticed the shade no longer slid, and the roof was completely messed up. I was quite ****ed, but figured i could just let it go. However, when it took them 5 MONTHS! yes, MONTHS, to repair my transmission, that set me off. Needless to say, i will never go there again, and after talking with the president of Nissan, i got $500 towards my next Nissan service. I would highly reccomend calling up Nissan and bugging them and telling them about the scratches in your car. If you make it pretty high up, they get very nice, and are willing to praise you and acknowledge your complaints with nice gifts.. I would never go back to the dealership i went to, it was Baron nissan, in Roslyn, but i am thinking of what i can use the money that nissan gave me for...Just a quick relief and suggestion...hope everything goes well...
Old 05-16-2002, 10:00 PM

I bought my car from countryside, il & took it there once & they are awesome. I also took my car to glendale heights nissan but never again after i found scuffs of black $hit on my truck-- which i think it was from the jagoff washing the car.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:05 PM

sorry to hear about this.....if u asked them to repaint the car, it will lower the car value since it is not "fatory paint" and they can tell by the paint thickness

I would suggest to have them polish it...
Old 05-16-2002, 10:10 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

consider youself lucky

one member here had his car dropped off the lift.. DROPPED! yeah, it was as nasty as you might imagine. They really didnt offer him much more than fixing the rather extensive damage. And as you might expect, they did a shoddy job and his doors wouldnt close right, etc...

Other members have had their cars stolen because the dealer left the keys in the car, offered nothing in compensation.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:05 AM

Im sorry for u man! If that was my car, i'd bang that ding out with all the employee's heads!
Old 05-17-2002, 04:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lildanny61

they provide me with a rental car (geo metro) i say okay, so i dont have the best car in the world, but its okay. only for a few hours.

Gotta laugh about the car rental but you are lucky getting an awesome Geo Metro. Nissan stuck me with a Suzuki Swift while I was waiting for an ABS sensor to be replaced. I went to Enterprise to pick up my rental car and there's this POS clown car waiting for me ! I was so embarrassed that I drove it straight home and hid it in the garage. I returned it to Enterprise the next morning and made other transportation arrangements. Hopefully no neighbors saw me. Thanks alot Nissan !
Old 05-19-2002, 01:17 PM

damn thats ****ed...you can go to any nissan dealership in the us and get your car serviced..you just need your registration. They keep a database of the car on file at a central office...
Old 06-17-2002, 02:08 PM

Wow I would be pi$$ed too. Yea definitely get your car repainted.
Also ask for a better rental car (geo????)
Old 06-17-2002, 02:51 PM

There is a reason why Nissan has the worst rated dealerships (out of every manufacturer)

I am thankful my mom has an in at our dealership. Even so, I think I am going with Infiniti next time (the G35). Still a great Nissan car, only with the #1 rated dealerships.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, that sucks.

I've been considering the Maxima to replace my 91 Sentra.

Buckeye Nissan lowered my Sentra on a tool box and zippered my door panel, broke the glass, etc.... Got a small mazda from them as loaner, its gas cap cover was frozen shut, had to use the mazda key to unjam. Scratched it in the process.

Anyway, I found that whenever one of those "5 star authorized Nissan service centers" worked on my car, something else would break about a week later, if not immediately.

I had the nissan gold ext warrenty until 100k miles. Once it reached 100k, I never, ever took it back to any of them. It has been SOO SOLID of a vehicle ever since, I'm sometimes afraid to replace it. Even with a Maxima as its "free" repairs and T&M PM service would be done at one of those 5 star centers. I've been pushing that 1.6L harder these last few years than ever before, but it seems to be working more reliably. Its at 150K.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2002, 04:31 PM

If i was in ur position i would go to your local gun shop ask them for an AK-47 drive up to the dealer with it straped to your back and drive up to the guy that told you sorry. Tell him imma show you how sorry your *** is gonna be if you dont give me a 2k3. Trust me itll work. hahaha that would be nice
Old 06-17-2002, 05:05 PM

All I can say is that sucks. At the same time, its incompetence like this that persuades me to do all maintenance work myself. I figure if some moron at a dealership can do (not to say all are, but many), then I sure as hell can. I'm just lucky that my father has a crap load of tools.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:19 PM

All of this is seriously making me worried about my choice to buy a Nissan. I never hear anything good about their service. Also, this paint chip thing is really showing its ugly head on my Majestic Blue paint. This may very well be my last Nissan. Sometimes I still wonder if I should have bought that dark green TL-S with DVD-based Navigation. The ONLY reason I didn't get it was because the dealer was 150 miles away (to much trouble if anything ever needed servicing).
Old 06-17-2002, 06:28 PM

my car is at the dealer right now and this thread is seriously freaking me out.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mattattax
call Nissan as well--it may not help, but then again it could speed up the process
Forget Nissan--contact your lawyer as soon as possible...You should either get a cash settlement for the depreciation of your car or either get a brand new car to replace yours. Even if they end up repainting your car, it will lose a lot of value because it has had body work done to it.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:23 PM

I always wait for the car. I never leave it. It kind of sucks because I usually have to make a weekend appointment, but I don't trust those fools to even get the car in the right gear.

Besides..The 1K service is Bull$hit
Old 06-17-2002, 09:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: I am beyond ****ed at nissan

My dad got a 2002 Mazda Millenia from Sansone in Jersey. They sent us a tin of cookies and a thank you note. Maybe they knew they wouldn't have his permanent plates for more than 40 days. Almost all dealers hae terrible service it seems. My dad went through hell with BMW and Lexus as well. I can't wait to see the crap Nissan puts me through when i get my 3K check-up...
Old 06-18-2002, 12:40 AM
CO2kmax

That sucks dude. That $hit happened to me too. I brought it into to service (engine light) they called me said it was done. So I went in to get it, after an hour of wating they told me sorry it is still not running right we will have to keep it another day. A$$holes!!! Oh ya when I was there I looked at it there was a new scrath. A$$holes!!!! I picked it up the next day. They gave me a pontiac sunfire, didn't even have electric windows. I was imbarrased to drive it, but they did give me 10% off and a free rental not bad considering it was past warranty. But still not an overall good performance by Nisan. I also try do all mods and fixes myself. One good thing is that I met a dude that is a tech at infinty. Hopefully that should help. Good luck and demand re painting off panel.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:42 AM

So far <knock on wood> I have been very pleased with my service at my dealer. I go to Beaverton Nissan here in the Portland area, where I bought the car. I just hope my luck holds out!
Originally posted by CO2kmax
That sucks dude. That $hit happened to me too. I brought it into to service (engine light) they called me said it was done. So I went in to get it, after an hour of wating they told me sorry it is still not running right we will have to keep it another day. A$$holes!!! Oh ya when I was there I looked at it there was a new scrath. A$$holes!!!! I picked it up the next day. They gave me a pontiac sunfire, didn't even have electric windows. I was imbarrased to drive it, but they did give me 10% off and a free rental not bad considering it was past warranty. But still not an overall good performance by Nisan. I also try do all mods and fixes myself. One good thing is that I met a dude that is a tech at infinty. Hopefully that should help. Good luck and demand re painting off panel.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:04 AM

Re: Re: I am beyond ****ed at nissan

Originally posted by SptBiz
Gotta laugh about the car rental but you are lucky getting an awesome Geo Metro. Nissan stuck me with a Suzuki Swift while I was waiting for an ABS sensor to be replaced. I went to Enterprise to pick up my rental car and there's this POS clown car waiting for me ! I was so embarrassed that I drove it straight home and hid it in the garage. I returned it to Enterprise the next morning and made other transportation arrangements. Hopefully no neighbors saw me. Thanks alot Nissan ! [/B]
I received a Chevy/Geo Metro as a rental when I brought my car in to get the pedal stopper recall work done a 2nd time (they didn't do it right the 1st) and a rattle fixed. They had to gimme the rental cuz it was going to take a few hours more than they anticipated. Man, what a POS! BTW, the Suzuki Swift is almost the same car as a Geo Metro, so I think I have some idea.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:36 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...oh and for those of you wondering what dealer i went to. Star Nissan in Skokie, illinois. avoid them like the plague

What ever became of this? How did the solve...if they solved. I am curious?
Old 06-18-2002, 01:42 PM

Word of Advice!!

For all of you that are ****ed off by s***** Nissan service, why don't you make your next tune-up, service, or whatever at your local Infiniti Dealer? I started taking my 2k Maxima to the Infiniti dealer when I was getting the run around and I tell you that the difference is amazing!! At least they treat your car with respect, give you excellant service, and usually give you a loaner as well. When I dropped off my car for my 36,000 tune-up, the service manager called me throughout the day to inform me of the status and if I was ok for them to start any kind of work on my car. Try getting that kind of service at Nissan! Probably won't happen. Add to that, I was given a 2k2 Maxima for a loaner and I ended up keeping the car for an extra day just because I couldn't get off work in time to pick up my car. For the service though, car was started at 9am. and was completely finished by 11am. So, I would suggest to anyone that is getting bad service to take it down to the Infiniti dealer as the service there is ten times better. Figure the odds though. More upscale then what we drive. And don't let them say they can't take your car just because you drive a Maxima. Their were plenty of other Nissan cars around when I had my car done. Good luck to all!!
Old 06-18-2002, 02:06 PM
OG and counting...

Dude, I feel your pain. If I were you, I would look into finding another dealer to do the work.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:17 PM

that sux big time. sorry for your loss man.

next time, don't take possesion of the car tho. as mad as you were, if the only scratch they acknowledged was the big one, they may give you the run around on all the little ones across the remainder of the car. i'd consider that damage convered under your insurance's comprehensive policy. just like if someone did that in a parking lot, only this time you know who did it. that means, call the cops and get a police report at the location you found the damage... at the dealership. that'll tell them how ****ed you really are and get the point across to the manager/owner and also to buyers on the lot as well. they'll try anything in the world to get those cops off the lot so i'm sure you won't have too much trouble getting things squared away. if they don't, you'll have the police report in case you actually need to file a claim.

good luck. and i hope there wasn't any 'real' damage, like to the window mechanism or door fitment.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:20 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Re: Word of Advice!!

Originally posted by shadou
For all of you that are ****ed off by s***** Nissan service, why don't you make your next tune-up, service, or whatever at your local Infiniti Dealer? I started taking my 2k Maxima to the Infiniti dealer when I was getting the run around and I tell you that the difference is amazing!! At least they treat your car with respect, give you excellant service, and usually give you a loaner as well. When I dropped off my car for my 36,000 tune-up, the service manager called me throughout the day to inform me of the status and if I was ok for them to start any kind of work on my car. Try getting that kind of service at Nissan! Probably won't happen. Add to that, I was given a 2k2 Maxima for a loaner and I ended up keeping the car for an extra day just because I couldn't get off work in time to pick up my car. For the service though, car was started at 9am. and was completely finished by 11am. So, I would suggest to anyone that is getting bad service to take it down to the Infiniti dealer as the service there is ten times better. Figure the odds though. More upscale then what we drive. And don't let them say they can't take your car just because you drive a Maxima. Their were plenty of other Nissan cars around when I had my car done. Good luck to all!!
I have been doing this, and telling others to do the same. For some reason no one wants to. They do ALL of my warranty work, fix TSB's without question, and, get this...the garage is so clean you could eat off the floor(I am not kidding)! BTW, it's Southwest Infiniti off of 59S & Beltway 8, north bound feeder in Houston.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by 2k2Merlot
So far <knock on wood> I have been very pleased with my service at my dealer. I go to Beaverton Nissan here in the Portland area, where I bought the car. I just hope my luck holds out!
I didn't know there was a dealership in Beaverton. I'm heading out there for all my service stops! I bought mine at Thomason in Gladstone...and I'm scared to go back!
Old 06-18-2002, 02:30 PM

Infiniti service = excellent

It never crossed my mind to have my local Infiniti dealer do the warranty work on my Nissan. I can vouch for the spectacular service Infiniti offers (see signature) -- they treat you like a visiting dignitary from the planet Royaltus. Or somewhere else equally impressive.

I've been fortunate thus far with the service my local Nissan dealer has performed on my Altima, although both times I've had it in I contacted Nissan North America beforehand and had them arrange the appointment and loaner car. I'm sure that having a suit-type figuratively looking over a shop's shoulders helps improve service dramatically. If you're just some shmoe off the street who drives in with a Nissan and says, "It's broke. Fix it," well, you may as well drop 'em and bend over the nearest railing.

Doing the same thing (the first bit, not the bend-over part) at an Infiniti dealer is practically grounds for a parade in your honor. If you think I'm kidding, try it and see what happens. Prepare to be floored.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:37 PM
I miss the .org!

Re: Word of Advice!!

Originally posted by shadou
For all of you that are ****ed off by s***** Nissan service, why don't you make your next tune-up, service, or whatever at your local Infiniti Dealer?
Hey thanks for that advice. That makes me feel alot better about my upcoming car purchase. I keep hearing all these service horror stories, and haven't heard of any great service dept's around here in Washington. So any Infiniti dealer will work on Nissans? Is it just out of courtesy or are they supposed to?

Quick Reply: I am beyond ****ed at nissan