5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Took a WRX last night...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 12:23 PM

Took a WRX last night...

Whats up all, its been a while since i last posted, but i had to let you all in on this...

Last night i got to race a blue wrx, looked/sounded stock. we were at a two lane stopsign, and we both slowly rolled on the gas, then dumped it (he probably didnt wanna rev too high and dump it being that he's awd). so we're off - at first and to my surprise - dead even! Then, at about 65-70, my i30- actually started to pull on him! the race was over at this time, because there was a right turn comin up, which i almost didnt make while comin down from 80. It was an awesome race, however i feel he should have beat me, had his ability to drive stick been better. Ah well, all you guys with 2002+ maxes, dont be afraid of these WRX's hehe happy revving!
Old 05-19-2002, 12:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have taken a coupe WRXs now. Stock they are no challenge... now if you would have tried to stick that corner with him.... well he would have left you lookin at his rear-end. From stop and on a roll the WRX is not a challenger. I am sure if he had some turbo work and boosted more, he would walk you.
Old 05-19-2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by dblrr900
I have taken a coupe WRXs now. Stock they are no challenge... now if you would have tried to stick that corner with him.... well he would have left you lookin at his rear-end. From stop and on a roll the WRX is not a challenger. I am sure if he had some turbo work and boosted more, he would walk you.
THERE ARE NO COUPE WRX's YOU RACED A 2.5RS.

[IMG]ftp://members.aol.com/yoitsok/images/head2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2002, 01:05 PM

I'm guessing he meant to say "couple" WRX's not "coupe". WRX's are not much of a challenge for my 2k2 6speed. I was also kinda surprised at this.
Originally posted by Chimp Dj

[IMG]ftp://members.aol.com/yoitsok/images/head2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-19-2002, 01:05 PM

Next time read the post bro, he meant "couple."
-Cyrus
Old 05-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Blu
the tits

well if them wrx drivers aren't scared to dump it at about 4000 the max has no chance from a stop but other than that stock to stock not to hard for the max to pull away
Old 05-19-2002, 02:32 PM

yeah it was "couple" not coupe.....

I agree that a WRX launched good should get a good run.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:33 PM

WRX has alot better then the 6speed max..i thought it would be a good challenge
Old 05-19-2002, 02:41 PM

Re: Took a WRX last night...

you sure he was a stick?
Old 05-19-2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus

Next time read the post bro, he meant "couple."
-Cyrus
hahahah
Old 05-19-2002, 10:35 PM

Re: Re: Took a WRX last night...

Originally posted by noflash
you sure he was a stick?
for his sake, i hope he was a stick with little experience... hehe
Old 05-20-2002, 06:09 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by TRUblu2K2
well if them wrx drivers aren't scared to dump it at about 4000 the max has no chance from a stop but other than that stock to stock not to hard for the max to pull away
Yep, I agree.

Without the hardcore launches, the speeds they trap out at (about 90 flat I think) indicate they're only low-15 cars. I've read of track reports from various people on forums that have seen WRX's indeed only running low/mid-15's. When asked where they launched at the drivers said like 3000rpm or something.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:33 AM
Blu
the tits

is the an auto WRX if so i didn't know
Old 05-20-2002, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Yep, I agree.

Without the hardcore launches, the speeds they trap out at (about 90 flat I think) indicate they're only low-15 cars. I've read of track reports from various people on forums that have seen WRX's indeed only running low/mid-15's. When asked where they launched at the drivers said like 3000rpm or something.
really? that makes me feel a lot better about owning a max

I'd just like to add that every single WRX owner I've met has been really cool/nice--they never act conceded, all-knowing, or ricey and they seem to pay little attention to the import v. domestic crap and concentrate more on having fun with their cars
just my $.02
Old 05-20-2002, 09:42 AM

You took a WRX in an I30!? He must have been automatic because you would lose to a manual unless you are heavily modded. Im not doubting your victory i just don't believe you raced a manual. Even without hardcore launches they still have gobbs of torque off the line. Anyways good kill!
Old 05-20-2002, 10:24 AM

Spell check would've been nice....

Old 05-20-2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by J30A1
You took a WRX in an I30!? He must have been automatic because you would lose to a manual unless you are heavily modded. Im not doubting your victory i just don't believe you raced a manual. Even without hardcore launches they still have gobbs of torque off the line. Anyways good kill!
True. That's why I asked.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...Im not doubting your victory i just don't believe you raced a manual. Even without hardcore launches they still have gobbs of torque off the line. Anyways good kill!
Wellllll...my buddy has a Scoobie 01 STICK and as long as I can nail my launch, it no competition over 70. He just refuses to do a 3K+ clutch dump (can ya blame him?)

And I am assuming you have never been in one. Gobs of tq off the line?? You mean gobs of tq ONCE they reach 2.8K+. If you don't do a high clutch dump you dont get it. From idle to about 2.8, they are slower than me on a bicycle!
Old 05-20-2002, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Colonel

Wellllll...my buddy has a Scoobie 01 STICK and as long as I can nail my launch, it no competition over 70. He just refuses to do a 3K+ clutch dump (can ya blame him?)

And I am assuming you have never been in one. Gobs of tq off the line?? You mean gobs of tq ONCE they reach 2.8K+. If you don't do a high clutch dump you dont get it. From idle to about 2.8, they are slower than me on a bicycle!
Some of the 2.5RS Sticks run 14.7- 15.0.
Intake, Header, exhaust, STS.

Hybrid turbo System 2.5RSs run 13s EZ.

Juiced ones are running 13s-14s.

Don't sleep on some of them.

Old 05-20-2002, 11:32 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

No no no no....I thought we were just discussing stock WRX's. If they have been modified, I withdraw all bets at that point. Modified Scoobies can be seriously wicked.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Colonel

No no no no....I thought we were just discussing stock WRX's. If they have been modified, I withdraw all bets at that point. Modified Scoobies can be seriously wicked.
I own 1 bad max and 2 Psycho-Pathfinders. I can never leave anything alone.

Old 05-20-2002, 07:50 PM

Ummmmm you obviously haven't driven a WRX then a Max/I30. The Gobbs of tourque you speak of is not as evident as you think.... That car doesnt feel like it is moving until it slides over 4,000 rpm. I used to drive a honda too, so I know what you are using for a benchmark on the torque. I suggest a ride in a blown SS camaro to help with that. THAT! was gobs of torque. I am not a domestic fan, but there really is nothing better than being thrown in your seat. Just my .02
Old 05-21-2002, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by dblrr900

Ummmmm you obviously haven't driven a WRX then a Max/I30. The Gobbs of tourque you speak of is not as evident as you think.... That car doesnt feel like it is moving until it slides over 4,000 rpm. I used to drive a honda too, so I know what you are using for a benchmark on the torque. I suggest a ride in a blown SS camaro to help with that. THAT! was gobs of torque. I am not a domestic fan, but there really is nothing better than being thrown in your seat. Just my .02
Hahaha! Its funny that you mentioned that I haven't driven a WRX since my cousin Tyler owns one with Catback exhaust. I have rode in his and raced it at the Illegals. You must not have driven one otherwise you wouldn't have even made that statement. It shows how ignorant you really are if you think im using my honda as a benchmark. Do you really think that that is the only car I have driven or owned. I do own a detail shop in sonoma, ca and have probobly driven more cars then you ever will in your lifetime including Vipers, Vettes, Camaro SS' (Non Blown) and Jaguar XJR's . I also own a 1986 Jaguar XJS V12 with a 5.3L V12 with close to 340hp and 390lbs ft of torque. Ran the Jag at sears point and pulled a 13.9@104!! So maybe you can take your gobbs of torque you think your maxima has and get smoked by any one of these cars that I mentioned.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:15 PM

Hahaha! Its funny that you mentioned that I haven't driven a WRX since my cousin Tyler owns one with Catback exhaust. I have rode in his and raced it at the Illegals. You must not have driven one otherwise you wouldn't have even made that statement. It shows how ignorant you really are if you think im using my honda as a benchmark. Do you really think that that is the only car I have driven or owned. I do own a detail shop in sonoma, ca and have probobly driven more cars then you ever will in your lifetime including Vipers, Vettes, Camaro SS' (Non Blown) and Jaguar XJR's . I also own a 1986 Jaguar XJS V12 with a 5.3L V12 with close to 340hp and 390lbs ft of torque. Ran the Jag at sears point and pulled a 13.9@104!! So maybe you can take your gobbs of torque you think your maxima has and get smoked by any one of these cars that I mentioned.

2001 Honda Accord EX V6
Satin Silver Metallic

Comptech Headers
Borla Mufflers w/custom cat-back
AEM CAI
Denso Irridium IK16 Plugs
H&R Sport Springs F1.5 R1.2
Centerline RPM's Silver 18 x 7.5
Michelin Pilot Sports 225-40-18
Indiglo Gauges

Track- R/T .886, 60ft - 2.31
1/4 - 14.96@93mph
Sears Point Raceway - Sonoma, Ca

So how is it that 90% of other Accord V6's with those mods can barely get below a 15.5 on a good day yet you get a 14.96, and with a trap that's a couple MPH higher than others?

sniff sniff...smells a g-tech

Time slip, buddy
Old 05-21-2002, 08:23 PM

You took a WRX in an I30!? He must have been automatic because you would lose to a manual unless you are heavily modded.
The WRX owner could have been a lousy shifter and couldn't shift fast and/or didn't know the optimal shift points (it isn't redline after 1st gear)

The WRX owner could have been stupid and had 87 octane in the tank.

WRX's aren't that fast from a roll and they both launched lightly from what I could tell. They both probably nailed it from a low RPM and he caught the Scooby off-boost and got the lead and the other driver never recovered.

Old 05-21-2002, 10:02 PM

I agree, dont sleep on WRXs. I will be test driving one soon.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:59 PM

So how is it that 90% of other Accord V6's with those mods can barely get below a 15.5 on a good day yet you get a 14.96, and with a trap that's a couple MPH higher than others?

sniff sniff...smells a g-tech

Time slip, buddy
To tell you the truth I really don't care whether you believe my time or not. The fact is I pulled it! I stated where it was, my reaction time, my 60' time(which G-Tech doesn't or atleast I don't think so because I have never used one)my 1/4 mile time and trap speed. You also say 90% of Accords with these mods barely get below a 15.5 on a good day......first of all who cares we are in a nissan forum not an accord forum and second of all Sears Point Raceway is a totaly different track then LACR or any other track for that matter. Sears Point is at Sea Level! Which means alot faster runs. Also I haven't heard of any other accord with my exact mods. CT Headers, AEM CAI are common but give different gains with different exhaust. Also my car has 14.2 lbs centerlines which definantly help my acceleration. Ask all the accord owners where they race....I have only seen one Accord V6 at sears point. We have drags every wednesday night between 4pm & 10pm except in the winter because its the rainy season. If I had a scanner for my time slip then you would see it but for now I will settle for my typed out version in my sig!
Old 05-21-2002, 11:08 PM

The WRX owner could have been a lousy shifter and couldn't shift fast and/or didn't know the optimal shift points (it isn't redline after 1st gear)

The WRX owner could have been stupid and had 87 octane in the tank.

WRX's aren't that fast from a roll and they both launched lightly from what I could tell. They both probably nailed it from a low RPM and he caught the Scooby off-boost and got the lead and the other driver never recovered.

I did not doubt his victory as I stated in my previous post.
I said and I quote "Im not doubting your victory i just don't believe you raced a manual." Could it be possible that it was a manual.....yes, but more than likely it was an auto. The I30 is about as fast if not slower than my Accord V6 was when it was Stock. I don't see how a high 15's car could even take a WRX Manual even if he did not launch it.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:27 AM

I wasn't aware Sears Point was at sea level. After "uncorrecting" it to LACR (where most guys run) it came out to 15.45 @ 89.xx which is more on par with everybody else. Thanks for the clarification

The I30 is about as fast if not slower than my Accord V6 was when it was Stock. I don't see how a high 15's car could even take a WRX Manual even if he did not launch it.
I30's are faster than you think and would beat up on an Accord V6 by a couple cars in the QM. A street-launched WRX is only a low-15's car with a mild 2000-3000rpm launch. Bogging off of boost in 1st and it's much slower. An I30 driver on the ball could easily take a sleeping WRX driver, even with a stick
Old 05-22-2002, 05:37 PM

Ooops, my bad. I forgott about your cousin, what's his name? Oh yeah, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HIS NAME IS!!!!

You jump off the handle like a true liar, so go argue your timeslips. Fact is I like the WRX, but prefer to drive a little larger car. I also never said the Max had "gobbs" of tourque, I think I used a blown SS for that benchmark. Hell, even a TT Supra @ 21lbs of boost is a good benchmark. Driven one of those too, does that make me cool enough to be your pal? Oh well, thought I would try.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:27 AM

To tell you the truth I really don't care whether you believe my time or not. The fact is I pulled it! I stated where it was, my reaction time, my 60' time(which G-Tech doesn't or atleast I don't think so because I have never used one)my 1/4 mile time and trap speed. You also say 90% of Accords with these mods barely get below a 15.5 on a good day......first of all who cares we are in a nissan forum not an accord forum
If you're making this claim on your sig, then it's fair game to bring it up in this forum.

Also I haven't heard of any other accord with my exact mods. CT Headers, AEM CAI are common but give different gains with different exhaust. Also my car has 14.2 lbs centerlines which definantly help my acceleration. Ask all the accord owners where they race....I have only seen one Accord V6 at sears point.
I've seen several AV6s at Etown (which is at sea level) and none of them ran below 15.6sec, WITH the exception of one 3.0CL and a 6G V6 that both ran a 14.9sec ET w/NOS (BOTH).

NOTE: SteVTEC and I are(me)/were(SteVTEC) both 6G Accord owners not to mention moderators on SHO and know our 6th gens pretty well.