5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

55 Shot / Zex Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 10:48 AM

55 Shot / Zex Kit

Hi,

I reently got a Zex NOS kit installed running a 55 shot. When I went WOT with NOS on it didn't feel any faster nor was there really a kick. I knew it was working because I saw my RPM jumped about 200 RPM when I turned on NOS at WOT and the engine sound was slightly deeper. My question is, are you suppose to feel a kick? Does 55 shot translates to 55 HP? For those who have NOS, how does your car feel with a 55 shot? Thanks in Advance!

Raymond
Old 05-22-2002, 11:20 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: 55 Shot / Zex Kit

somethings wrong somewere

Originally posted by roastduck88
Hi,

I reently got a Zex NOS kit installed running a 55 shot. When I went WOT with NOS on it didn't feel any faster nor was there really a kick. I knew it was working because I saw my RPM jumped about 200 RPM when I turned on NOS at WOT and the engine sound was slightly deeper. My question is, are you suppose to feel a kick? Does 55 shot translates to 55 HP? For those who have NOS, how does your car feel with a 55 shot? Thanks in Advance!

Raymond
Old 05-22-2002, 11:46 AM

It's normal, your expectation were probably too high. It's not going to be like hitting the Turbo Boost Button on KIT (Knight Rider).
Old 05-22-2002, 11:58 AM
Very sound, Mike

KITT

One of my all time favorite show.

Originally posted by MaxRPM
It's normal, your expectation were probably too high. It's not going to be like hitting the Turbo Boost Button on KIT (Knight Rider).
Old 05-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi,

Raymond
Old 05-22-2002, 01:44 PM

Ok, thanks alot for all your responses! I guess maybe it's time to move up to the 75 shot.. heh.. NOS is so expensive here, $5 a pound in the Bay Area in Cali.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:47 PM

Zex

I dont know what to say to solve your problem. But if you don't want your zex kit anymore I'll buy it from you..
Old 05-22-2002, 02:09 PM

Ok, thanks alot for all your responses! I guess maybe it's time to move up to the 75 shot.. heh.. NOS is so expensive here, $5 a pound in the Bay Area in Cali.
Is that a reasonable price?? I cant believe people pay $50 a fillup. That alone would pay for a supercharger fast....
Old 05-22-2002, 02:42 PM

haha.. Acutally I was just thinking about selling my Kit if I still don't feel much difference and I can't find a cheaper source for NOS.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:50 PM
Very sound, Mike

I think what he meant was, Zex is a brand. NOS is a brand. Calling Zex a NOS kit is absurd.

It's like me calling a Maxima a Camry. They're two different things

N20 is nitrous.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
I think what he meant was, Zex is a brand. NOS is a brand. Calling Zex a NOS kit is absurd.
who meant what? now I am confused
Old 05-22-2002, 03:07 PM
Very sound, Mike

Burton's amusing post ("It's Called Nitrous...")

Originally posted by SpicyTuna

who meant what? now I am confused
Old 05-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Burton's amusing post ("It's Called Nitrous...")

I would say that NOS is more like "Kleenex" or "Coke". It is the most common one, so even if you are getting a walmart brand tissue, you call it a kleenex.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:11 PM

It's like me calling a Maxima a Camry. They're two different things

N20 is nitrous.

exactly my point
Old 05-22-2002, 03:12 PM
Very sound, Mike

I know Back home it was Colgate and Palmolive (any toothpaste was a Colgate and any shampoo was a Palmolive) Gotta love brainwashing

Originally posted by asu174
I would say that NOS is more like "Kleenex" or "Coke". It is the most common one, so even if you are getting a walmart brand tissue, you call it a kleenex.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:14 PM

I guess maybe it's time to move up to the 75 shot.. heh..
What else would you need to do for the zex 75 shot on the Maxima? Can you just swap in the jets for the 75 and off you go??
Old 05-22-2002, 05:18 PM

What else would you need to do for the zex 75 shot on the Maxima? Can you just swap in the jets for the 75 and off you go??
you may want to upgrade fuel pump.
When I 1st has NOS on my 4th gen I had the same reaction, which was no reaction it felt normal, but you can tell if you go to the track and make back to back runs with and w/o the Zex. From my understanding anything less than ~100 shot will not have that kick feeling.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:48 AM

Ok so I made a mistake for calling ZEX , NOS, thanks for pointing that out. I'll keep that in mind. For those who offered an actual solution to my problem, thanks again. It would make sense to not feel a kick with anything less then a 100 shot. After talking to my friend today who talked to his friend, we found out that the Nitrous Nozzle had to be pointed torward the wall of the intake instead of the throttle body. After that done we took it for a spin and it was a night and day difference compared to before!
Old 05-23-2002, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by The New CLIMAX
you may want to upgrade fuel pump.
Is this manditory for the 75? The Zex kit comes with 55, 65, 75 would I *have* to get a fuel pump for say the 65?
Old 05-23-2002, 07:12 AM

Is this manditory for the 75? The Zex kit comes with 55, 65, 75 would I *have* to get a fuel pump for say the 65?
Do you know what happens if you run lean?
Old 05-23-2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Do you know what happens if you run lean?
*BOOM*
Old 05-23-2002, 01:25 PM

How much does a "nitrous" set-up cost?
What "brand" of NOS (just kidding) is the safest?
I noticed Edelbrock is really pushing their's to be the safest.
One last question: What's the going rate for an installation of a nitrous kit?
Old 05-23-2002, 04:15 PM

Ok so I made a mistake for calling ZEX , NOS, thanks for pointing that out. I'll keep that in mind. For those who offered an actual solution to my problem, thanks again. It would make sense to not feel a kick with anything less then a 100 shot. After talking to my friend today who talked to his friend, we found out that the Nitrous Nozzle had to be pointed torward the wall of the intake instead of the throttle body. After that done we took it for a spin and it was a night and day difference compared to before!
Interesting. I have a NOS dry kit. I started off with a 50 shot and it kicked. I am now running 80shot (with upgraded fuel pump) and it kicks even more (my heavy 18's will spin all the way through first gear & sometimes part of second gear).

What I'm wondering is why does your ZEX nitrous nozzle have to be pointed toward the intake wall? It doesn't make sense to me. Is that what it says to do in the ZEX instuction booklet? NOS uses a fan spray nozzle which sprays the nitrous in a fan shape (hence the name), so for my setup, the nozzle is definitely pointed towards the throttle body.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:30 PM

Hmm.. it didn't really say much on where to point it. I'm just going off what people say. =( I still think maybe something's wrong with the install or the kit.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:34 PM

I wonder whats wrong? Do you have any hesitation when your floor it? Any wierd noises? You get no pull? No kick? Nothing noticable?
Old 05-23-2002, 11:37 PM

No weird noises, no kick, it pulls a little more when I'm using it from 1st gear, but if I arm it when I'm at WOT at D I feel nothing.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:36 AM

Hmm, are you POSITIVE that your system is activating? In your first post, you stated that you thought it was activating because your RPMs jumped 200 rpms at WOT? If nitrous activates, it'll pull hard though all the gears, not just jump 200 rpm.

I think something is wrong because even with a 50shot you'll DEFINITELY 100% POSTIVELY know if the nitrous activates.

With the ZEX kit, don't you have to adjust the voltage for your TPS or something like that in order for it to work with the Max?...did you?
Old 05-24-2002, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
With the ZEX kit, don't you have to adjust the voltage for your TPS or something like that in order for it to work with the Max?...did you?
I heard that Zex had fixed this problem, thats why you go through the programming steps....right? (or am i talking out of my a$$?)
Old 05-24-2002, 07:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by max34
How much does a "nitrous" set-up cost?
What "brand" of NOS (just kidding) is the safest?
I noticed Edelbrock is really pushing their's to be the safest.
One last question: What's the going rate for an installation of a nitrous kit?
1. A good setup will run you around 700.00 - 800.00 500.00 if you don?t plan on spraying more than a 50 shot.
2. Nitrous Express is by far the winner when it comes to safeness and design of components the parts will last 50% longer than Edelbrock N2O parts. They use a new design wet kit that is comparable by no other this kit is engineered to perfection the nozzles throw the correct mixture of fuel and nitrous every time like clockwork. If you don't like NX and prefer NOS make sure and get a wet set up that utilizes the newer nozzles they have developed many tuner shops have in stock old packages that they need to get rid of and they look for suckers to buy them. I am really against a dry setup they are just not designed for our application although they will work you will have more problems with them.
3. "Install is simple as pie a woman can do it" that?s what the salesman told me about the kit and he was 90% correct. I would only look into an installer if you cannot change oil that?s how simple a NX kit is to install. If you feel you can't install it a good honest installer should charge you no more than 150-175 dollars.
4. I do chemical engineering and I like to believe I know what I am talking about but if you prefer to listen to others on dry setups go with that and you will learn the hard way.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:19 AM
Very sound, Mike

I'm interested in knowing more about this. Why wet and not dry?

Thanks.

Originally posted by SVTTODAMAX
If you don't like NX and prefer NOS make sure and get a wet set up...
Old 05-24-2002, 09:54 AM

I haven't had any problems with the NOS dry kit on my 4th gen. I don't see what problems one could have with the dry kit. As long as you have the appropriate spark plugs & fuel pressure, and the fuel pressure safety switch is hooked up, it's all good. There's a good amount of 4th gens using the dry kit. I dunno about the 5th gens though. I'm not saying dry is better than wet, I'm just saying people shouldn't have problems with ANY kit if the proper precautions are taken.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:07 AM

Hmm, are you POSITIVE that your system is activating? In your first post, you stated that you thought it was activating because your RPMs jumped 200 rpms at WOT? If nitrous activates, it'll pull hard though all the gears, not just jump 200 rpm.

I think something is wrong because even with a 50shot you'll DEFINITELY 100% POSTIVELY know if the nitrous activates.

I just called ZEX and they basically told me to point the nozzle torward the throttle body. They told me it's not necessarily to change the voltage, I just have to make sure I program the box to learn it (which I did). They also recommended that I change my spark plugs to 2 steps colder. Do you think the Spark Plugs will help? I have read for a 55 shot I don't need to change my Spark Plugs.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:09 AM

I cant believe plugs would make that huge of a difference? Maybe I am wrong.... Are you running stock plugs still?
Old 05-24-2002, 11:05 AM

I haven't had any problems with the NOS dry kit on my 4th gen. I don't see what problems one could have with the dry kit. As long as you have the appropriate spark plugs & fuel pressure, and the fuel pressure safety switch is hooked up, it's all good. There's a good amount of 4th gens using the dry kit. I dunno about the 5th gens though. I'm not saying dry is better than wet, I'm just saying people shouldn't have problems with ANY kit if the proper precautions are taken.
I see your point and here is an answer straight from NX website and a link. http://www.nitrousexpress.com/welcome.htm
What are the differences between a dry nozzle and a wet nozzle?
A. The "dry" system uses the factory fuel injection to enrich the nitrous introduced into the engine. The flaw with this technology is that no matter how much nitrous arrives at a certain intake port it always gets the same preset amount of fuel, or if a fuel injector becomes clogged engine damage will result. The "Wet" technology introduces a precise amount of fuel and nitrous through a high tech mixing nozzle that atomizes the fuel to microscopic proportions. This allows every cylinder to receive a precise, homogenous mixture of fuel and nitrous, thus insuring a safe, powerful increase.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:21 AM

Final Conclusion

Over the 3 day weekend I finally decided to take my car out for a few runs to see if it really was working. Before I had the ZEX kit installed, my friend's Modded IS beat me by 1-2 cars. So about 12:00am in the morning on a 2 lane street we waited at the stop light for it to turn green. I armed my Nitrious and had my foot on the gas and other foot on the brake. As soon as it turned green we were off, 1st gear pulled on him by half a car, 2nd car pulled on him by 1 car, 3rd 1.5, 4th was ahead by 2 cars. In conclusion my Zex kit was working perfectly. I went from being 1-2 cars behind to 1-2 cars ahead.

To answer my original questions, I did not feel a kick with a 55 shot, I felt it pull a little bit more. The nozzle should be pointed directly to the throttle body but also should be 5 inches away. I was still using my stock plugs and stock fuel pump. If you guys have any questions I'll be more then happy to help.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:20 AM

Wrd!!! Good job on the fix.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:22 AM
VQ Wizard

I see your point and here is an answer straight from NX website and a link. http://www.nitrousexpress.com/welcome.htm
What are the differences between a dry nozzle and a wet nozzle?
A. The "dry" system uses the factory fuel injection to enrich the nitrous introduced into the engine. The flaw with this technology is that no matter how much nitrous arrives at a certain intake port it always gets the same preset amount of fuel, or if a fuel injector becomes clogged engine damage will result. The "Wet" technology introduces a precise amount of fuel and nitrous through a high tech mixing nozzle that atomizes the fuel to microscopic proportions. This allows every cylinder to receive a precise, homogenous mixture of fuel and nitrous, thus insuring a safe, powerful increase.
Not if you're spraying into the throttle body or anywhere that leads into he upper intake plenum. EFI intake plenums on cars today were designed for the flow of air only. Spraying gasoline into these plenums can easily result in puddleing of fuel which can ignite and blow up the intake manifold. Let me rephrase in case I wasn't already clear enough. SPRAYING GAS INTO YOUR PLENUM IS STUPID AND DANGEROUS! If you want to run a fogger setup then there is only one way it should be done. You will need a fogger nozzle for each intake runner and position the nozzles as close to the intake valves as you can get them. This is the ONLY true way to get an even distribution of Nitrous AND fuel to each cylinder.
One major problem with fogger systems that very few people know about is the fact that your factory rev limiter is useless on a fogger system. Since you're spraying fuel into he engine as part of the system you've just defeated the fuel cut rev limiter from the ECU. The ECU runs into the redline, shuts down the injectors but you're still dumping fuel into the engine from the foggers. One simple missed shift will easily rev your engine to the point of serious failure within a time frame so small you wont have time to even get your foot off the gas pedal. That's why you'll need (thanks to the people who clued me in on what hardware we could use to solve this problem) a window switch that will sense the engine RPM and shut off the Nitrous / Fuel flow before the factory rev limiter kicks in.

In defense of the EFI dry kit I would like to add; These kits are far easier to install, tune and maintain than a fogger. Sure they do run a little lean side on the lower RPMs but the engines ECU quickly senses this and fattens the mix. EFI kits are also far more forgiving than a fogger. They come on a bit more linear than a fogger so they won't blow off the tires as easy. And I am not even sure just how lean they go from the start. My Stochiometric gauge shows me that from the word go, my VQ35 isn't starving for fuel at ANY rpm. Even if I hit it from 2000 RPM, and I am running a 100 shot EFI Dry NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) Nitrous kit.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:07 PM

Wrd!!! Good job on the fix.
Thanks! So glad it works, wasted $100 worth of juice driving back and forth asking "do you feel it" when I should have just raced some guy and compare before and after but at least I finally know..