5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Did your aftermarket air filter screw up your MAF sensor?
Yes
33.65%
No
61.14%
What's a MAF sensor?
5.21%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

MAF Sensor Problems with Aftermarket Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 12:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MAF Sensor Problems with Aftermarket Air Filters

OK. Let's find out whether aftermarket filters are really screwing up MAF sensors.

Cast your vote!
Old 05-22-2002, 12:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

Better include boneheaded users of aftermarket filters that overoil their filters but still blame the makers even though the instructions are plainly and clearly stated in their instructions that most bonehead people chose to ignore but still want to blame the maker.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Better include boneheaded users of aftermarket filters that overoil their filters but still blame the makers even though the instructions are plainly and clearly stated in their instructions that most bonehead people chose to ignore but still want to blame the maker.
Nah. I'm even willing to include those people, Jeff. My guess is we're still dealing with a HUGE minority of people who have ever had a problem with their MAF sensor as a result of installing an aftermarket air filter.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:24 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Voted No

F/C intake w/K&N filter...no issues....Also did not reset ECU either and no CEL!

Gas Mileage actually went UP( more throttle to hear but 1.1 MPG)...not sure if it was because the panel was due for a change though...?
Old 05-22-2002, 12:33 PM

I have about 300 miles on my K&N drop-in and no problems so far...
Old 05-22-2002, 12:35 PM

Someone responded that they didn't know what a MAF sensor is. The following explanation is from Toyota. But it will give you the idea. (PS: You'll need Acrobat Reader to view the file.)

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf
Old 05-22-2002, 01:18 PM

vote yes....
seems like some individuals from older generation are having problem with the MAF.

I pulled a search

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=122198

we havent seen much of this case in 5th gen b/c our cars are still new...but I believe it is not good for prolong use.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Problems w/ the 3-gens and K&N filters are due to the fact that the VG(not VE) powered maximas didn't like the K&N panel filter. Something to do w/ how the K*N directs the airflow into the maf or something. Not due to the oil getting into the maf element. Because the overwhelming majority of 3-gen K&N cone filter users are not having problems.

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
vote yes....
seems like some individuals from older generation are having problem with the MAF.

I pulled a search

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=122198

we havent seen much of this case in 5th gen b/c our cars are still new...but I believe it is not good for prolong use.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:28 PM

not only 3rd gen...also observed in 4th gen. The ratio is relatively insignificant...but still catches my attention.

Problems w/ the 3-gens and K&N filters are due to the fact that the VG(not VE) powered maximas didn't like the K&N panel filter. Something to do w/ how the K*N directs the airflow into the maf or something. Not due to the oil getting into the maf element. Because the overwhelming majority of 3-gen K&N cone filter users are not having problems.

Old 05-22-2002, 01:29 PM
jjs

Granted...

I only have a drop in K&N, but it has been in there for 19,000 of the 21,000 miles on the car with NO trouble at all.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:46 PM

My car has been breathing thru a K&N for 100,000 miles.

DW
Old 05-22-2002, 01:50 PM

I doubt there is any problem resulting directly from the intake.

Frequently, a stall or stumble is caused by faulty installation - air getting in after the maf. I just reinstalled mine, found that happening and figured out that the maf was beginning to come out of the throttle body tube.

Those with 5th gens may mistake/confuse the "stumble" where rpms dip below 500 and recover as intake related. In my experience, it is related to the ecu. Mine did this even after I took off the intake (for repair of my vias). Once Nissan fixed the fuel cut and adjusted my idle, it never happened again - even after reinstallation of the intake.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Boost.....

So jeff.....what about the aftermarket intakes with the filters that were provided...K&N. but have not been cleaned yet...ie overoiled by consumer.

And dont give me this BS about factory overoiling......i had my MAF checked....NO OIL ON IT WHATSOEVER.

Be nice.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

I'm not talking to you. You didn't invite me to the Masters this year

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp

So jeff.....what about the aftermarket intakes with the filters that were provided...K&N. but have not been cleaned yet...ie overoiled by consumer.

And dont give me this BS about factory overoiling......i had my MAF checked....NO OIL ON IT WHATSOEVER.

Be nice.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:49 PM

Just put in a K&N drop-in a few weekends ago, no problems. Didn't feel any change in performance, either. Haven't had long enough to evaluate gas mileage.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Need a 'Not Sure Yet' option

As I've stated in a number of posts:

"I had my FrankenCar intake on my car for about 5000 kms, went and got the throttle stop replaced on the car, a week later (about 400 km) the MAF blew. I got the car fixed, ran it for about 8000 km with the stock airbox on it and then reinstalled the FrankenCar intake. I've had it on for about the last 5000+ kms with no problems and that includes a day at the dragstrip. One thing that I noticed with the new MAF was a different style sensor. Read the following link for a description of the difference.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...15&pagenumber=3 "

I never oiled my filter as it was new and I pulled it out of the plastic when I installed it. I've got a 2k2 6spd, btw.

Albert
Old 05-22-2002, 09:08 PM

so does it seem the problem occurs more often when the intake consists a mid-pipe?
Old 05-23-2002, 02:23 AM

so does it seem the problem occurs more often when the intake consists a mid-pipe?
There have been a number of reports of blown MAF sensors with Frankencar intakes. This may not be related to the intake itself, but could be due to the 2K2 MAF sensor. I have heard that their is a known problem with them.

I have yet to see a check engine light or a blow MAF with a Berk Tuning intake (fingers crossed).
Old 05-23-2002, 06:49 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by cobymoby

There have been a number of reports of blown MAF sensors with Frankencar intakes. This may not be related to the intake itself, but could be due to the 2K2 MAF sensor. I have heard that their is a known problem with them.

I have yet to see a check engine light or a blown MAF with a Berk Tuning intake (fingers crossed).
My HYPOTHESIS on this is that people are not careful when they are uninstalling and attaching the adaptor to the mid pipe. I mean we are talking about a fairly sensitive sensor here. If you go banging/throwing it around while uninstalling and are not careful as you reinstall it, you are creating your own issues.

Now if the Berk assembly had a midpipe, or some reason to be removing/adjusting the MAF assembly, then the comparison would be apples to apples. At this point FC and Berk are a little different as I can tell. One is a true midpipe/filter and the other one is basically a filter.

No offense to either manufacturer/distributor. I just have noticed a lot of people that claim problems with the FC have caused the issues themselves with improper installation or "trying to beat the clock". That one I'll never understand...how quick to install? Sure I have an extra 400 clams to replace the MAF I messed up...but I installed my intake in less than 5 minutes!
Old 05-23-2002, 06:55 AM

i got the weapon-r intake which consisted of a midpipe and dragon filter (foam) drove it around for a day and the maf sensor went. When i got the car back i reinstalled it but this time used a k&n type filter and haven't had a problem yet. I think maybe the foam filter was letting in 2 much dirt causing the maf to go
Old 05-23-2002, 07:02 AM

Can anyone explain WHY in the world an aftermarket intake could damage the MAF?

I can buy overoiling and oil getting onto the MAF. I can buy damaging the MAF during installation. Not sure I buy dirt getting through filter and causing damage to the MAF because the K&N and even monsterflow are supposed to have superior filtration - but it's possible.

But how is more air going to damage the MAF? That I just can't see. Where are our technical experts????
Old 05-23-2002, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Colonel

My HYPOTHESIS on this is that people are not careful when they are uninstalling and attaching the adaptor to the mid pipe. I mean we are talking about a fairly sensitive sensor here. If you go banging/throwing it around while uninstalling and are not careful as you reinstall it, you are creating your own issues.

Now if the Berk assembly had a midpipe, or some reason to be removing/adjusting the MAF assembly, then the comparison would be apples to apples. At this point FC and Berk are a little different as I can tell. One is a true midpipe/filter and the other one is basically a filter.

No offense to either manufacturer/distributor. I just have noticed a lot of people that claim problems with the FC have caused the issues themselves with improper installation or "trying to beat the clock". That one I'll never understand...how quick to install? Sure I have an extra 400 clams to replace the MAF I messed up...but I installed my intake in less than 5 minutes!
Speaking for myself, I can assure you that I did not mishandle my MAF in any way. I've owned other high performance cars in the past and have done all sorts of work on these machines. I made sure to take plenty of time as I also took photos and did the install write up for the 2k2 FrankenCar.

Just because it hasn't happened to someone, doesn't mean that it won't. Mine blew, I got it repaired, went back to stock box and now for the past 5000 kms I've been using the FC again with a redesigned MAF. I won't say for certain that it is a fixed problem, because it could go again today or maybe never.

As far as the BERK not having to mess with the MAF, it's true that you may not have to remove the MAF from the 2k2, but you still need to unbolt it from the factory airbox. Removing it completely doesn't subject the MAF to more stress than that simple procedure. Definitely not as much stress as would be incurred during shipping from manufacturer of MAF to Nissan or dealership. Service techs aren't handling these things like they are ticking time bombs. I think that the MAF is a little more durable than you're giving it credit for, but at the same time, I treat it like a baby bird in the palm of my hand.

I truly believe there were some misdesigned MAFs. Does the 2k2 require a different MAF than 2k or 2k1? This could be a clue, if so.

Albert
Old 05-23-2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Can anyone explain WHY in the world an aftermarket intake could damage the MAF?

I can buy overoiling and oil getting onto the MAF. I can buy damaging the MAF during installation. Not sure I buy dirt getting through filter and causing damage to the MAF because the K&N and even monsterflow are supposed to have superior filtration - but it's possible.

But how is more air going to damage the MAF? That I just can't see. Where are our technical experts????
If not for one of the reasons you list above or my belief that the MAF units were defective, then I think vibration might be another cause. I made up a small bracket when I first installed the FC intake, but it still vibrated quite a bit. When I reinstalled it, I used a much stronger bracket, which eliminated alot of the vibration, but still allows some flex when the engine is rocking in it's mounts.

Just something else I'm not ruling out, yet.

Albert
Old 05-23-2002, 07:12 AM

well when i got mine replaced on the receipt it said replace MAF sensor as per bulliten so i'm assuming this is a common problem and not just happening to people who install aftermarket intakes.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by timby01
well when i got mine replaced on the receipt it said replace MAF sensor as per bulliten so i'm assuming this is a common problem and not just happening to people who install aftermarket intakes.
Can you scan/post your bill? My dealer said that mine is the first he saw.

Albert
Old 05-23-2002, 07:26 AM
Very sound, Mike

Have you guys also noticed that there *seems* to be more MAF problems from 2k2's manufactured before this year?

Additionally, if Akrus is right about the different designs on the MAF sensor's then could it also mean that Nissan is aware of the problem?

My car was bought on August of last year. I have the Frankencar but haven't had the chance to install it yet. Given i have an earlier production model and factoring in my observation in the first paragraph i don't want to take the risk just yet.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:28 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by akrus
...I truly believe there were some misdesigned MAFs. Does the 2k2 require a different MAF than 2k or 2k1? This could be a clue, if so.

Albert
You surely could have a point as I forget the FC was primarily designed for a 2K2 and I have a 2K1. When I read FC, I think 2K1.. . That would be my bad. Do you mean misdesigned or poor installation and/or part? Are there 2 different part numbers for the 2K2?
Old 05-23-2002, 07:48 AM

You surely could have a point as I forget the FC was primarily designed for a 2K2 and I have a 2K1. When I read FC, I think 2K1.. . That would be my bad. Do you mean misdesigned or poor installation and/or part? Are there 2 different part numbers for the 2K2?
EDIT

Goto http://www.cenpipe.com/~akrusvar/maxima/mafsketch.jpg to see a sketch of my old/new MAF.
/EDIT (old link to thread wouldn't work for some reason)

I haven't looked at the 2k/2k1 close enough to tell if there's a difference, and being new to the Maxima group (~6months) I don't know enough about any Max, but my own.

Next time I see a 2k/2k1 I'll have to get the nut driver out.

Albert
Old 05-23-2002, 07:57 AM

I believe I read a post once indicating that the MAF sensor has to be turned 180 degrees when a mid-pipe is installed because the sensor leads aren't long enough to reach otherwise. Is that correct? If so, could that have anything to do with sensor failure?
Old 05-23-2002, 08:07 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by y2kse
I believe I read a post once indicating that the MAF sensor has to be turned 180 degrees when a mid-pipe is installed because the sensor leads aren't long enough to reach otherwise. Is that correct? If so, could that have anything to do with sensor failure?
I did not have to do that. BUT (always a but) I did rotate a little to make sure the wires were not crimped by the hood. As for the vibration, I did not mount 100% touching the TB. I backed it off about 1/4 inch.

Look at my post at the top of page 2 to this thread...
The link does not work?
Old 05-23-2002, 08:25 AM

I've never heard of anything like this. Depending on what gets turned 180 degrees, I think you would have 1 of 2 things happening:

1) rotate MAF so wiring is plugged in at 6 o'clock position rather than 12 o'clock as is the current case - I don't think this would have any effect on performance, as a matter of fact I'm sure the ECU wouldn't even care. The only thing that could be fixed with this is either hood clearance or improved cabled length.

2) if the MAF were rotated so the airflow was going opposite to what the indicated direction of flow is supposed to be - could cause ECU errors as well as mounting problems since the flange would be on the wrong side of it.

Albert
Old 05-23-2002, 08:28 AM

The link does not work?
Hmmm, try this link:

http://www.cenpipe.com/~akrusvar/maxima/mafsketch.jpg

Albert
Old 05-23-2002, 08:43 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Hmmm, try this link:

http://www.cenpipe.com/~akrusvar/maxima/mafsketch.jpg

Albert
Hmmm, I am assuming that at the bottom of the "big line" is where the sensor gets its reading. The 2K1 looks like the "new" one. Meaning that the arm is very close if not in the center of the circle.

I remember reading somewhere that the 2K2 MAF's were like 70 bucks while the 2K1's were like 400. Wonder if the "new" 2K2 MAF's rolled back to the 2K1 MAF's?
Old 05-23-2002, 08:44 AM

Different MAF. YES

The MAF for the 02 is different than all previous years. It has a larger diameter for the new engine and the internal sensor is different.

Here in Atlanta the pollen gets real bad in the spring (mid April). This year wasn't as bad but last year we had counts of 4500. I lightly cleaned my K&N that came with the Stillen intake in 99,00,01 & 02 reoiled on the heavy side, not driping wet though, and never had a problem. When I got my 02 I put the new Stillen intake in at 750mi. the 1st thing I noticed was the larger diameter of the velosity stack/adapter so I looked in the MAF and noticed the different sensor inside. The new filter has "Stillen" on it insead of "K&N" and the oil looked a litte light in some spots so I added a small amount to those areas. It took about a week for the service engine light came on. I am going to my buddies shop tonight to get the code from the computer and see what set it off before I decide wether or not to go to the dealer. We will reset the computer and I will see if the light comes on again. If it does back to stock it goes and to the dealer the car goes.

I voted yes to this servey I sould have waited till I know for sure. I will inform you how it goes tonight.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:23 AM

TSB NTB01-036a

Originally posted by timby01
I am simply BLOWN AWAY by the fact that nobody picked up on your post, timby01. I currently have in my possession a 7 page TSB covering MAF sensor failures in 2K-2K1 Nissan Maximas. The TSB number is NTB01-036a, dated September 17, 2001. This TSB is NOT currently listed in the TSB sticky and does NOT cover 2K2 Maximas.

For anyone who is considering having work done under this TSB, let me warn you in advance. Per the Service Procedure Summary on page 1 of the TSB:

"A genuine Nissan air filter must be used for all warranty claims, and any other claim for which Nissan pays."

So don't even THINK about going to the dealer with an aftermarket intake or filter installed.

I scanned the TSB and have it available to someone who wants to host it. The zip file is 1MB, so make sure you can receive a large attachment before contacting me.

I do not want to send the file to individual requestors. Only those willing to host the TSB in the TSB sticky should contact me. Please send your request to me at bld522@yahoo.com.

Thanks for the wake-up call, timby01.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:26 AM

When I had a SC on my 98 I30 the MAFS died slowly. It never even triggered a MIL code so I had to check everythng, argh..
Old 05-23-2002, 10:56 AM

y2kse: is this just simply the TSB for MAF failure? can u describe the symptoms a bit? I can host those for ya but my account is a geocitie account...which sucks b/c they limit amoount of visit/transfer.

please let me know

I am simply BLOWN AWAY by the fact that nobody picked up on your post, timby01. I currently have in my possession a 7 page TSB covering MAF sensor failures in 2K-2K1 Nissan Maximas. The TSB number is NTB01-036a, dated September 17, 2001. This TSB is NOT currently listed in the TSB sticky and does NOT cover 2K2 Maximas.

For anyone who is considering having work done under this TSB, let me warn you in advance. Per the Service Procedure Summary on page 1 of the TSB:

"A genuine Nissan air filter must be used for all warranty claims, and any other claim for which Nissan pays."

So don't even THINK about going to the dealer with an aftermarket intake or filter installed.

I scanned the TSB and have it available to someone who wants to host it. The zip file is 1MB, so make sure you can receive a large attachment before contacting me.

I do not want to send the file to individual requestors. Only those willing to host the TSB in the TSB sticky should contact me. Please send your request to me at bld522@yahoo.com.

Thanks for the wake-up call, timby01.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:00 AM

y2kse: is this just simply the TSB for MAF failure? can u describe the symptoms a bit? I can host those for ya but my account is a geocitie account...which sucks b/c they limit amoount of visit/transfer.

please let me know

The title of the TSB is MIL "ON" WITH DTC P0100 (MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR - MAFS) STORED.

The Service Information section states as follows:

If an applied vehicle has DTC P0100 stored and possibly exhibits:

Engine rough running
Engine surging
Low Engine Power

the cause may be an airflow sensor that has been damaged by air-ingested dust/dirt.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:11 AM

I just sent the TSB to soundmike. He said he'd host the TSB and put up a post in the TSB sticky.

Stand by . . .
Old 05-23-2002, 11:21 AM
Very sound, Mike

Stand by no more

Clicky

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor Problems with Aftermarket Air Filters