5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

bumpstop trimming

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 01:12 PM

bumpstop trimming

I get a nice BAM! from the rear from a dip or bump in the road traveling at ~45mph or greater. I have Maxspeeds and stock GXE struts. Galo recommended triming an inch off of the rear bumpstop - sounds like good advice, but...

I called my install guy (give him a break it was a month ago), and he said, if he remembers right the rear bumpstops were part of the dustcover and he would have had to throw that whold part away to trim them? I am having a hard time visualizing all this - I know what dustcovers look like, but not bumpstops. So, he's going to take a look on Friday. I just wanted to give him a heads up on how to trim maxima bumpstops. Any guidance?

Thanks

PS I already fixed the Addco Bang - grinded
Old 05-22-2002, 01:43 PM

Re: bumpstop trimming

Originally posted by noflash
I get a nice BAM! from the rear from a dip or bump in the road traveling at ~45mph or greater. I have Maxspeeds and stock GXE struts. Galo recommended triming an inch off of the rear bumpstop - sounds like good advice, but...

I called my install guy (give him a break it was a month ago), and he said, if he remembers right the rear bumpstops were part of the dustcover and he would have had to throw that whold part away to trim them? I am having a hard time visualizing all this - I know what dustcovers look like, but not bumpstops. So, he's going to take a look on Friday. I just wanted to give him a heads up on how to trim maxima bumpstops. Any guidance?

Thanks

PS I already fixed the Addco Bang - grinded

I might be wrong on this one but I believe the bam you are hearing is from your stock GXE struts. The aftermarket springs are smaller than stock and thus reducing the amount of travel for your strut. So everytime you hit a bump your stock struts are bottoming out because it is not matched to the progressive rate spring you have on.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:00 PM

Re: Re: bumpstop trimming

Originally posted by CIRCO

I might be wrong on this one but I believe the bam you are hearing is from your stock GXE struts. The aftermarket springs are smaller than stock and thus reducing the amount of travel for your strut. So everytime you hit a bump your stock struts are bottoming out because it is not matched to the progressive rate spring you have on.
I hear ya, and I am considering Toks. But still Eiback instructions call for trimming the bubmstop regardless of struts. And to clarify, it's not every bump. It's gotta be big and I have to be at ~45mph.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: bumpstop trimming

I hear ya, and I am considering Toks. But still Eiback instructions call for trimming the bubmstop regardless of struts. And to clarify, it's not every bump. It's gotta be big and I have to be at ~45mph.

You know I heard Galo say that Eibach said that but I don't think I have directions for install. Maybe I didn't look too good. All I found was 2 stickers, warranty, and brochure.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: bumpstop trimming

Originally posted by CIRCO

You know I heard Galo say that Eibach said that but I don't think I have directions for install. Maybe I didn't look too good. All I found was 2 stickers, warranty, and brochure.
Galo is very correct. I have the instructions as well and they say specifically to remove 30mm from the front and 26mm from rear bumpstops. When I removed my spring perch from the rears, the dust cover was separated from the lower bumpstop. I took it out, trimmed it and reinstalled everything with Eibachs and didn't have any trouble. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2002, 04:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bumpstop trimming

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

Galo is very correct. I have the instructions as well and they say specifically to remove 30mm from the front and 26mm from rear bumpstops. When I removed my spring perch from the rears, the dust cover was separated from the lower bumpstop. I took it out, trimmed it and reinstalled everything with Eibachs and didn't have any trouble. Good luck!

How the hell did you trim it? Isn't the bumpstop made of some dense rubber?
Old 05-22-2002, 07:04 PM
Bandwagon Lover

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bumpstop trimming

Since the bumpstops are there to stop excessive suspension travel, wouldn't trimming them potentially cause early strut/shock wear due to excessive travel?

Personally, I left them alone until I get a set of AGX.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bumpstop trimming

I just got an email from Galo and he said he had to destroy the dust covers to get the bumpstops trimmed. He then replaced them with a used set he had.

I'm pretty sure he's got a '01 too. So what gives? How come yours weren't integrated?
Old 05-22-2002, 08:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bumpstop trimming

I just got an email from Galo and he said he had to destroy the dust covers to get the bumpstops trimmed. He then replaced them with a used set he had.

I'm pretty sure he's got a '01 too. So what gives? How come yours weren't integrated?
The dust covers were integrated, but while removing the upper perch, they separate quite easily right at the base of the bumpstop, leaving the dust cover to stay on the shoct shaft.

I used a hacksaw to trim the rear bumpstops.

Since you lower the car, you have to slightly reduce bumpstop length to gain back a bit of the compression travel the shock has, otherwise you end up riding on or near the bumpstops and every dip or bump is a jarring blow rather than a near stock compression against the bump rubber. I would expect anyone who lowers their car without trimming bump stops to have a harsher than necessary ride.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bumpstop trimming

The dust covers were integrated, but while removing the upper perch, they separate quite easily right at the base of the bumpstop, leaving the dust cover to stay on the shoct shaft.

I used a hacksaw to trim the rear bumpstops.

Since you lower the car, you have to slightly reduce bumpstop length to gain back a bit of the compression travel the shock has, otherwise you end up riding on or near the bumpstops and every dip or bump is a jarring blow rather than a near stock compression against the bump rubber. I would expect anyone who lowers their car without trimming bump stops to have a harsher than necessary ride.
Okay, I'll print this and bring to my install guy on Friday. Still I wonder if there wasn't some mid-year change? We'll see...

Thanks for the explanation.

Oh yeah, if I get Toks will all of this be moot? I mean will the Tokicos come with their own dust covers and bumpstops?
Old 05-23-2002, 07:59 PM
Maxima Pilot

Hey..checking up on me, eh? LOL!!!!!!!

Like a major surgical procedure...good to have a second opinion!