5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What intake has the least amount of the whistling noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What intake has the least amount of the whistling noise?

I have a JWT popcharger and with the warm weather it's really getting on my nerves when I have the window open. I just touch the gas and it whistles. It almost sounds like bad brakes and it's kind of embarrasing.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:58 PM

Re: What intake has the least amount of the whistling noise?

OSCAI
Old 05-25-2002, 05:53 PM

What about without modifying my car, ie cutting a whole?
Old 05-25-2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by BlackMax2k1
What about without modifying my car, ie cutting a whole?
The OSCAI doesn't require cutting a hole. Check Page 1 of the Installation Instructions /How-To's sticky for more info.
Old 05-25-2002, 06:02 PM

Isn't it better to cut a hole through the splashguard?
Old 05-25-2002, 06:05 PM

Isn't it better to cut a hole through the splashguard?
There was quite a discussion on that question at one time. I doubt it makes a great deal of difference. But you can cut a hole through the splash guard if you want to.
Old 05-25-2002, 06:12 PM

How does your Berk sound?
Old 05-25-2002, 06:44 PM

How does your Berk sound?
Wonderful. It's one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods I've installed. Highly recommended.
Old 05-25-2002, 09:43 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Part of my splash guard must be missing because I was able to run it down and just attach it with an L Bracket. Open air galore....

Old 05-25-2002, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by asu174
Part of my splash guard must be missing because I was able to run it down and just attach it with an L Bracket. Open air galore....

Hey asu174 did you trim your bump stops. I did the install today and the bumpstops only come off for the fronts. I have a 2K GXE. Might be different for the 2k1 AE's I don't know. For the rears I trimmed the bump stop and had to ditch the dust boot. BTW looks like you are leaking oil there.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:03 AM

Re: What intake has the least amount of the whistling noise?

I have a JWT popcharger and with the warm weather it's really getting on my nerves when I have the window open. I just touch the gas and it whistles. It almost sounds like bad brakes and it's kind of embarrasing.
BlackMax,

Sorry to hear about your whistling, but I am soooooo glad I am not the only one experiencing this problem. Everyone keeps telling me this is normal, but I don't agree. My Frankencar is so bad I'm either going to have to find a solution or get rid of it.

Tony
Old 05-26-2002, 07:40 AM

Re: Re: What intake has the least amount of the whistling noise?

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

BlackMax,

Sorry to hear about your whistling, but I am soooooo glad I am not the only one experiencing this problem. Everyone keeps telling me this is normal, but I don't agree. My Frankencar is so bad I'm either going to have to find a solution or get rid of it.

Tony
It is normal, Tony. The only other thing that could produce the whistling sound you're referring to is an air leak in the intake, and that would probably throw a SES light.

I'd recommend you hang tough with the Frankencar intake until after you've installed your Y-pipe. You're going to experience some hissing from the pipe as well. The two sounds may tend to cancel each other out. Or they may complement each other as they do in my case. But I'm sure you realize that it's not realistic to mod your intake and exhaust and expect your car to remain as quiet as it was with no mods.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had the following intakes on my car:

Berk Tuning LE w/ Apexi intake
Berk Tuning
Stillen
JWT

Out of all the intakes the Berk Tuning LE intake is the quietest. Reason: The filter is constructed using injection molded plastic, this material actually kills resonance. You can still hear it but it is much less pronounced. The Stillen/JWT are by FAR the loudest "squeakers".
Old 05-26-2002, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by CIRCO

Hey asu174 did you trim your bump stops. I did the install today and the bumpstops only come off for the fronts. I have a 2K GXE. Might be different for the 2k1 AE's I don't know. For the rears I trimmed the bump stop and had to ditch the dust boot. BTW looks like you are leaking oil there.
The fluid is all dried up grease from a previous leak. thanks for the heads up though.

I honestly have no idea about the bumpstops. I don't even know what a bumpstop looks like. When I bought the car, the coils and springs were on there (which was a MAJOR selling point for the car).
Old 05-26-2002, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by cobymoby
I've had the following intakes on my car:

Berk Tuning LE w/ Apexi intake
Berk Tuning (Standard)
Stillen
JWT

Out of all the intakes the Berk Tuning LE intake is the quietest. Reason: The filter is constructed using injection molded plastic, this material actually kills resonance. You can still hear it but it is much less pronounced. The Stillen/JWT are by FAR the loudest "squeakers".
I agree with your assessment, Bryan. I used to have a Stillen Intake and your standard intake definitely produces less of a "whistle" than the SI did. If the Apexi intake is even quieter than your standard intake, I'd think that would be a very good option for those who want an aftermarket intake but find the "whistle" annoying.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:02 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

3 of us looked through Tony's intake, and couldnt quite figure, where the hissing was coming from. It's puzzling. I have no hissing whatsoever, just a loud Roar . The berk was fine, but it's too quiet for me, so I just added the Franken -Mid pipe.....so I have a Berk, with a Franken Midpipe !. Perfect for me.... Im giving a CAI some thought..Im waiting for some info. Sucking Air from a HOT pavement, like i've explained before is not A CAI.... I will continue to explore...
Old 05-26-2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by kloogy

Sucking Air from a HOT pavement, like i've explained before is not A CAI....
True, my friend. But I doubt there's any pavement in the world that gets hotter than an engine bay with the engine idling on a blistering summer day.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:19 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I disagree,.... they are both HOT. The difference in heat, between one and the other, is not enough for you to charge a customer 120.00 more for your product. There has to be a way of getting that piping to a true Cold area.... Im approaching this issue from a Southern California point of view. I know weather conditions, are different in other parts of the country. If you live in Vegas, any intake will be HOT ! ..... Have you ever seen the Vortech system that uses an aftercooler, with ICE in it ?
Old 05-26-2002, 12:27 PM

I disagree,.... they are both HOT. The difference in heat, between one and the other, is not enough for you to charge a customer 120.00 more for your product. There has to be a way of getting that piping to a true Cold area.... Im approaching this issue from a Southern California point of view. I know weather conditions, are different in other parts of the country. If you live in Vegas, any intake will be HOT ! ..... Have you ever seen the Vortech system that uses an aftercooler, with ICE in it ?
Nope. Can't say that I have. But I'm still grappling with the idea that pavement gets anywhere near as hot as the inside of an engine bay with the engine idling. I don't want to argue the point because I don't know for sure. Is there anyone else who can confirm that?

PS: It appears that instruments used to measure pavement heat have an upper limit of 200 degrees F. So I'm assuming that's as hot as pavement ever gets. So the next question is, how hot does an engine bay get on a hot summer day with a fully-warmed-up engine running at idle?
Old 05-26-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: What intake has the least amount of the whistling noise?

Originally posted by y2kse

It is normal, Tony. The only other thing that could produce the whistling sound you're referring to is an air leak in the intake, and that would probably throw a SES light.

I'd recommend you hang tough with the Frankencar intake until after you've installed your Y-pipe. You're going to experience some hissing from the pipe as well. The two sounds may tend to cancel each other out. Or they may complement each other as they do in my case. But I'm sure you realize that it's not realistic to mod your intake and exhaust and expect your car to remain as quiet as it was with no mods.
I don't mind hissing, roaring, sucking, sipping, or any other intake sound. This is a very high-pitched whistling sound, like bad brakes. I wish I had a way of recording it for everyone to hear.

I understand that modding will make the car louder. One of the reasons I chose the Frankencar intake was the WOT throttle sound. But whistling? I've NEVER heared any other car do it...and there's tons of cars around here with all sorts of mods, including intakes. I had a friend of mine drive the car past me while it makes the whistling noise and it sounds severely retarded. Never heard anything like it.

Isn't it possible that the whistling sound BlackMax and I hear is more than what you call normal?

Anyone have a digital recorder that can record their whistling so I can hear what normal is supposed to be?

Tony
Old 05-26-2002, 03:31 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

If you cant figure out where it's coming from Tony, I would just put the stock intake back on, mayme try a Place Racing CAI, or something different. That is the weirdest thing Ive ever heard. Then again, after seing the 2K-2K1 setup, for the midpipe, there is more of a chance for that to have a whistle, than a 2K2....... If your engine bay got as hot as you are thinking it gets, dont you think the plastic components would be melting. I know engines get HOT, I owned 2 V8's , but I think you're also forgetting that cars have ventilation into the engine bay, the moment you accelerate, Air is RUSHING in there. I want to see someone test a Frankencar, or any other Short Ram, VS any CAI, on the same car , in the same weather. I'm sure that if there is ANY difference at all, it wont be worth the money you have to pay some of these companies who are asking close to $300 for CAI's... It just like the Exhaust issue, is that extra $350 worth saying, I have a Greddy.... Modding all goes back to the individual's opinions, on what they favor, ... It's just my opinion, just like I object to the VB mod...
Old 05-26-2002, 03:59 PM

I'm with Y2KSe on this one, although I agree with you Kloogy that there is no such thing as a "cold" air intake. The CAI's out there (ooglie and $200 ones) are more or less "not nearly as hot as the engine bay" air intakes. It also helps with general circulation. You can cook bacon on an engine in AZ in the summer. Pavenment gets hot, but not nearly as hot as the engine.

The $16 I spent at Home Depot....well I'd say I got my money's worth. But I wouldn't spend much more than that.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:20 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Hey, Ive been in AZ, I CAN cook eggs and bacon on that pavement !
Old 05-26-2002, 05:22 PM

You can cook bacon on an engine in AZ in the summer. Pavement gets hot, but not nearly as hot as the engine.
That's really funny. There's an article in the recent edition of Westway Magazine put out by the Automobile Association of America. It describes how to cook food on an automobile engine while you're traveling in your car!

I looked around for a bit but I couldn't find anything that talks about how hot it gets under the hood of an automobile. But pavement won't ever get hot enough to cook chicken wrapped in foil even on a summer day.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:15 PM

Hey, Ive been in AZ, I CAN cook eggs and bacon on that pavement !
It's a "dry" heat.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:29 PM

The CAI is a very good intake. It's only fault is that it doesn't breathe as well as a POP at high rpms. There's alot I miss about my CAI. I've changed to a Hybrid now.

In terms of sound, the CAI rocked. Totally silent until WOT throttle, then it was LOUD, but always a nice loud.

The hiss is there with the CAI, but even with the windows open, it wasn't very loud. The hiss sounded cool, like a slithering snake that's just about to POUNCE

In terms of cold air, the difference between POP and CAI may not be that much in terms of temps, but one thing is that the CAI was always more consistent and linear. My Hybrid is better up top, but the low end is not quite what the CAI was. You always knew what the car was going to do once you florred it, now, with the Hybrid, for a few moments you'r like it will go faster, then it does.

One thing I don't miss about tthe CAI is cleaning the filter. It was always a Bi#$%TCH to get to!

Once I get a VI, I may go back to CAI, though.

DW
Old 05-29-2002, 02:49 PM
I miss the .org!

I'm sure that if there is ANY difference at all, it wont be worth the money you have to pay some of these companies who are asking close to $300 for CAI's... It just like the Exhaust issue, is that extra $350 worth saying, I have a Greddy.... Modding all goes back to the individual's opinions, on what they favor, ... It's just my opinion, just like I object to the VB mod...
I just wish AEM would make a d*mn CAI for the 2K2 Max. Their intakes are well worth the money...at least for the cars they've made it for thus far. They're not made of any cheap materials, they're warranteed, and they actually deliver noticeable hp gains (even w/o modded exhaust, etc...)
Old 05-29-2002, 02:51 PM
I miss the .org!

The $16 I spent at Home Depot....well I'd say I got my money's worth. But I wouldn't spend much more than that.
The OSCAI everyone talks about...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that basically just some open piping running from the current piping, down to the bottom of the car? What happens to road debris, water (it rains alot here in Seattle), etc...?
Old 05-30-2002, 12:49 PM

depends on if u decided to build a ram air and with that, most likely water might get in....but can it travel to ur air box? I doubt it. unless u drove into a river.

and yes, it is just an extention that replace the tube to the air silencer

Originally posted by Triple8Sol

The OSCAI everyone talks about...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that basically just some open piping running from the current piping, down to the bottom of the car? What happens to road debris, water (it rains alot here in Seattle), etc...?
Old 05-30-2002, 01:40 PM

True, my friend. But I doubt there's any pavement in the world that gets hotter than an engine bay with the engine idling on a blistering summer day.
I have to agree with Bruce on this one. If you think about it - this is only an issue when you are at a standstill, right? Once you are moving there should be adequate airflow to bring down the engine bay temps.

If that is the case...figure you are parked with your car running. With a typical WAI (Franken, JWT, Berk, etc.) the intake is located near the top of the engine bay. We all know warm/hot air rises right? Since there is no place for the hot air to exit, I would think the air would be become very hot and stagnant at the top half of your engine bay. Now, if this is all in fact true (maybe/maybe not) I would much rather have an intake sucking air off of a 200-degree pavement then right in the mist of all of the hot air. Remember too that the hot pavement will also add to the overall temp in the engine bay as well (hot air rises).

Is that worth the extra money? That will be up to you.

I have a franken right now, but if the Injen intake is as nice as claimed (CAI without drilling/cutting and good HP gains) - I will probably change. My only concern with the filter close to the ground would be getting water in the intake.

My .02

Brian
Old 05-30-2002, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by TellschMax02

. . . if the Injen intake is as nice as claimed (CAI without drilling/cutting and good HP gains) - I will probably change. My only concern with the filter close to the ground would be getting water in the intake.

My .02

Brian
It's pretty darn nice, Brian, especially now that I can see the entire intake. And according to the tech at Injen, you can add an AEM bypass valve if you're concerned about water getting into the CAI.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

And according to the tech at Injen, you can add an AEM bypass valve if you're concerned about water getting into the CAI.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an AEM bypass valve?

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
I don't mind hissing, roaring, sucking, sipping, or any other intake sound. This is a very high-pitched whistling sound, like bad brakes. I wish I had a way of recording it for everyone to hear.
I know exactly what you are talking about! Mine makes the same high pitched screeching noise! for the most part, I only notice it when I am in 2nd or 3rd and jerk the throttle quick. For a split second after I do that, what I hear can be compared to your bad brake analogy. This should some as no surprise, but I noticed it more when I added the mid-pipe.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by maxman00

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an AEM bypass valve?
Look here:

http://www.aempower.com/induction.htm

And disregard AEM's admonition that the Air Bypass Valve is for use on AEM Cold Air Systems only.

Originally posted by maxman00

I know exactly what you are talking about! Mine makes the same high pitched screeching noise! for the most part, I only notice it when I am in 2nd or 3rd and jerk the throttle quick. For a split second after I do that, what I hear can be compared to your bad brake analogy. This should some as no surprise, but I noticed it more when I added the mid-pipe.
No suprise there either. The mid-pipe acts as a resonating chamber.