5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

235 45 17 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 11:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Originally posted by Hobert

How many times do they have to repeat it. They are not saying you will have problems, but that running an incorrect tire has a higher chance of having problems with sometimes dire consequences. And a couple of people on this site have posted bad things happening when tires that violated spec were used. Yet right after they repeat themselves somebody posts and says the exact same thing.
And the point I'm trying to make is, tires can blow even with stock sizes. It's all about how you take care of your tires and to use your common sense. As long as you do both, running on 235 / 45 is as safe as running your stock tires. So far every situation you guys have proposed where the tires will pop I have already tried and I'm still alive and my tires are fine. (I have Bridestone RE730's by the way). If you guys think it's a risk, then don't do it. Then I wouldn't recommend speeding either nor do I recommend even driving. There are risks in everything. I'm just trying to tell you that there is someone out there that has those tires (me) and had no problems with it whatsoever, even driving agressively on turns and under hot temperatures. I'm sure there are cases of 235 / 45 tires blowing out, but I'm sure there are just as many cases of 225 /50 tires blowing also. You just don't hear about them.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:45 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

roastduck88

just so you know, there appears to be someone who did blow 2 tires by simply cornering with 235's. You probably wont blow one, but you have less margin for error (like proper PSI) than stock size. And really, thats all anyone is suggesting.. You can drive knowing that if something does happen, you can take your tire store to the mat for installing a tire that no manufacturer recommends..
Old 05-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Originally posted by roastduck88

As long as you do both, running on 235 / 45 is as safe as running your stock tires.
If this was the case then the manufacturers would state this as fact and y2kse wouldn't have to ask for it in writing over and over. But they don't. Because its not.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:52 AM

Re: roastduck88

I'm interested to know how they actually blew it? Again, I'm sure there are cases were ppl blow their stock tires just hanging a turn too. If 235's are as dangerous as you said they are wouldn't you have thought I would have blown my tires out already after so many miles and turns? I asked Wheelworks to put 225 / 45 / 17 orginally and they said no because it wasn't up to specs, instead they recommended 235 / 45 / 17 and double checked with Nissan. I didn't ask for it in writing but next time when I change my tires I will.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

If this was the case then the manufacturers would state this as fact and y2kse wouldn't have to ask for it in writing over and over. But they don't. Because its not.

OMG roastduck88, I think you "listening but you not hearing me"(training day) I give up!
Old 05-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Yup. There's something called "in-spec" and there's something called "out-of-spec". Something is called "out-of-spec" for a reason. It isn't just a word game.

What's surprising to me is that roastduck88's assertion that it's safe to run 235/45R17 tires on 7"-wide rims is clearly addressed in the FAQs. He just won't go look it up. And in keeping with my cherished position as club member #2 of the "I'm not answering the question for the 10th time" club, I'm not answering the question for the 10th time.

Old 05-30-2002, 11:58 AM

Re: I like...

Originally posted by TimW
Watch Scariest Police Chases IV on Fox, the guy always throws a tire at the end, then rides on the rims in a shower of sparks. I'm sure the tire shop told the owner it was ok to get 235's.. The car jacker had no way of knowing the car he jacked had out of spec tires.. I'm just saying...
My guess on this: Criminals don't care about the cars they've stole, or if it's their car they're either so desperate to get away they don't care what they've run into or over, or they're so drunk they don't know what they've run into or over. AND...

Tire spikes!

Tony
Old 05-30-2002, 11:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Originally posted by y2kse

Yup. There's something called "in-spec" and there's something called "out-of-spec". Something is called "out-of-spec" for a reason. It isn't just a word game.

What's surprising to me is that roastduck88's position is clearly addressed in the FAQs. He just won't go look it up. And in keeping with my cherished position as club member #2 of the "I'm not answering the question for the 10th time" club, I'm not answering the question for the 10th time.

When my tire blows I'll let you guys know
That goes back to the speeding is bad thing..
Old 05-30-2002, 12:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

When my tire blows I'll let you guys know
Assuming you're still around to talk about it, that is . . .

Old 05-30-2002, 12:02 PM

I dont understand why this topic comes up 2 times a month. The information is out there. SEARCH AND READ THE FAQ'S!!!!!!!!!!! All you have to do is read it, plain and simple.

I read all the information and chose to run BFGoodridge G-Force KWDS 235/45/17s. I noticed that they bulged a slight bit more than the stock RE92s. These tires are a lot safer than the RE-92s on wet/snow covered roads. Thats why I decided to run this setup. I was tired of literally hibernating when the the snow fell. I took a turn going under 10 mph and almost slid into a mailbox.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:02 PM

I have 235/45/17's

muahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaa

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-30-2002, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OOPS!

Assuming you're still around to tell about it . . .
Again, if it was really as bad as it is made out to be my tires would have been blown the first few (dozen) turns I took.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
I dont understand why this topic comes up 2 times a month. The information is out there. SEARCH AND READ THE FAQ'S!!!!!!!!!!! All you have to do is read it, plain and simple.
Precisely. Then do what you want to do, roastduck88. Just don't go preaching that because you decided to run an out-of-spec tire/rim combo, it's all right for everybody else to do the same.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:10 PM

Precisely. Then do what you want to do, roastduck88. Just don't go preaching that because you decided to run an out-of-spec tire/rim combo, it's all right for everybody else to do the same.
I'm not really preaching it, just telling people that I have those tires and it was perfectly safe for me.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:13 PM

I'm not really preaching it, just telling people that I have those tires and it was perfectly safe for me.
The operative words are, "so far". The problem is, if and when you discover that your tires aren't "perfectly safe" any more, you might end up having a really bad hair day.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:33 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

hmmm

I'm interested to know how they actually blew it?
[/B]
I don't know, but I would imagine they let their tire get below 28 psi and it rolled off the bead. which, while I know we all check our psi regularly, but if you have a 30-40 degree change in temp = 4 psi.

Like any engineering failure, it usually takes more than one error. When running outside of specs, it just takes less errors to cause an accident. thats speeding, manufacturing defect, wrong psi, bad road, or aggressive turn. But by sometimes no fault of our own, they add up too quickly to react to. margin of safety

Given that, you should be very mindful of your PSI, road and tire condition when running 235. But given that fact that youre already senstive to it, you probably are.

Me? I worry to much, I just want to drive and not second guess my car.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:37 PM

Re: hmmm

I just want to drive and not second guess my car.
Me too, Tim. I have my hands full trying to second guess all the cars around me.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:21 PM

The operative words are, "so far". The problem is, if and when you discover that your tires aren't "perfectly safe" any more, you might end up having a really bad hair day.

Good luck.
And face day and whole body day!
Old 05-30-2002, 01:29 PM

Re: hmmm

I don't know, but I would imagine they let their tire get below 28 psi and it rolled off the bead. which, while I know we all check our psi regularly, but if you have a 30-40 degree change in temp = 4 psi.

Like any engineering failure, it usually takes more than one error. When running outside of specs, it just takes less errors to cause an accident. thats speeding, manufacturing defect, wrong psi, bad road, or aggressive turn. But by sometimes no fault of our own, they add up too quickly to react to. margin of safety

Given that, you should be very mindful of your PSI, road and tire condition when running 235. But given that fact that youre already senstive to it, you probably are.

Me? I worry to much, I just want to drive and not second guess my car.
That's very true, but even driving from San Jose to San Francisco everyday (30 degree difference on some days) it still seems fine. I probably check my PSI no more then once a month.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:21 PM

I'll just STFFU and f-n Unsubscribe this **** thread.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Chimp Dj
I'll just STFFU and f-n Unsubscribe this **** thread.
Ta ta for now!

It's better to give a resentment than to get a resentment!
Old 05-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey! Hush-up wit dat engineerin' jive, Norm. We don't wanna confuse no-one around here wit da facts.

I just removed two lug nuts off of each wheel to save weight. I made it to the donut shop without any problems. High School drop- out neighbor kid whose alcholic brother works at an instant oil change place thinks it should be ok.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by yousapest

I just removed two lug nuts off of each wheel to save weight. I made it to the donut shop without any problems. High School drop- out neighbor kid whose alcholic brother works at an instant oil change place thinks it should be ok.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:03 PM

Re: roastduck88

just so you know, there appears to be someone who did blow 2 tires by simply cornering with 235's. You probably wont blow one, but you have less margin for error (like proper PSI) than stock size. And really, thats all anyone is suggesting.. You can drive knowing that if something does happen, you can take your tire store to the mat for installing a tire that no manufacturer recommends..
So people out there guarantee if I run the stock size tire it will never blow? Never go flat?

....that stock size is very magical . No one can promise me anything. The stock tire size is within spec, and is "safer", but not magical there can be failure there as well. Also we dont know ALL the facts to the person with 2 tires blowing. I have *knock on wood* never gotten a flat tire while driving, much less two so this leads me to believe there is something else...granted I/we dont know anything.

As roastduck pointed out there is a risk doing almost everything in life. As he said, you could speed and that would cause crash, so then we shouldnt drive.......everything is a risk, you as the driver/owner choose what risk is acceptable.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:40 PM

Re: Re: roastduck88

Originally posted by SpicyTuna

you as the driver/owner choose what risk is acceptable.
I couldn't agree with you more, SpicyTuna. But people can't assess the risks unless they have all the facts. All I'm interested in doing is making sure that they have all the facts before they make up their minds. I assume you don't have a problem with that.

Old 05-31-2002, 07:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: roastduck88

I couldn't agree with you more, SpicyTuna. But people can't assess the risks unless they have all the facts. All I'm interested in doing is making sure that they have all the facts before they make up their minds. I assume you don't have a problem with that.

I would have to agree with you. I'm just trying to make sure people hear from both point of views.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:01 AM
JET Speed Lab

Old 05-31-2002, 08:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: roastduck88

I would have to agree with you. I'm just trying to make sure people hear from both point of views.
NP, roastduck88. And you seem to have learned a valuable lesson in the process of presenting your point of view. Rather than argue with the facts, you're now stating your point of view based on your own personal experience. You've stopped generalizing your experience to include what everyone's experience ought to be. And you've stopped making yourself look foolish by attempting to substitute your experience for the combined expertise of an entire industry. That's growth as far as I'm concerned. And several other forum contributors (who shall remain nameless) would do well to follow your example.

Old 05-31-2002, 10:27 AM

hmmmm . . .

So for someone in my case who's stock tire blew (could be due to the fact i swerved into a curb ), then merchant tire replaced them with 235/45/17s (which technically aren't the correct size) cuz they couldn't find the stock size tire; are they libel if something happens to the tires as long as i keep them up???

for the record, they're Kumho Ecsta 712's. and haven't had issues with them yet

plp
Old 05-31-2002, 10:34 AM

Re: hmmmm . . .

Originally posted by VTblckmax
So for someone in my case who's stock tire blew (could be due to the fact i swerved into a curb ), then merchant tire replaced them with 235/45/17s (which technically aren't the correct size) cuz they couldn't find the stock size tire; are they libel if something happens to the tires as long as i keep them up???
That becomes a matter of practicality vs legality. You might be able to build a case against Merchant Tire for knowingly mounting out-of-spec tires on your OEM rims. But do you have the time, the resources and the willingness to mount a legal battle against them? Probably not. And they know it.

My advice is simple. Unless you intend to replace your OEM tires with the exact same make/manufacturer, do not purchase tires until you know precisely what you're doing. This particularly holds true if you're changing tire sizes. And NEVER trust a tire dealer. Always consult your Owner Manual and the manufacturer's web site for tire specifications.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: Re: hmmmm . . .

My advice is simple. Unless you intend to replace your OEM tires with the exact same make/manufacturer, do not purchase tires until you know precisely what you're doing. This particularly holds true if you're changing tire sizes. And NEVER trust a tire dealer. Always consult your Owner Manual and the manufacturer's web site for tire specifications.

problem was, i had no time (and of course they didn't have the tire size). i was on a weekend trip 4 hrs away from home. tire busted fri night/sat morning. couldn't get tires till sunday, and they had to fix wheel on monday (the day i was supposed to be back). didn't think - and was told - that the spare wouldn't have made it all the way back home. . . .

oh well, what's done is done i suppose.. i guess the answer to my main concern is that i should look to find a set of wheels that are 17x7.5 instead of looking for a single stock rim.

just more $$ flowing out the wallet . . .
Old 05-31-2002, 12:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: hmmmm . . .

i guess the answer to my main concern is that i should look to find a set of wheels that are 17x7.5 . . .
That's one approach, VTblckmax. Another approach is to purchase a set of tires that do fit your rims properly. Then you can sell your Kumhos on the Parts for Sale/Wanted forum. I don't think you'll have a problem getting rid of them, particularly if there's a lot of tread left on them.

If you want to stay in the same general price range as the Kumhos, take a look at Nitto 450s in 225/50R17. They're available through www.discounttire.com.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the guys running 235/45R17 tires on their OEM rims don't seem to be having problems with them. Or if they are having problems, they're keeping real quiet about it. So while there's certainly a greater degree of risk involved in running out-of-spec tires, it may be an acceptable degree of risk for you. You'll have to make that decision on your own, however.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: hmmmm . . .

quick question for ya...

what's the normal offset for wheels sized 17x7.5 with the 5-114.3 bolt pattern??

(i tried the search function, but that one diagram didn't really give me good answer)

thanks for any help
Old 05-31-2002, 12:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hmmmm . . .

quick question for ya...

what's the normal offset for wheels sized 17x7.5 with the 5-114.3 bolt pattern??

(i tried the search function, but that one diagram didn't really give me good answer)

thanks for any help
That's a rim question, not a rubber question. You'll have to seek out the Master of All Things Alloy for help with that one.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hmmmm . . .

That's a rim question, not a rubber question. You'll have to seek out the Master of All Things Alloy for help with that one.

oops, my bad. just noticed the name . .

i'll have to search out this 'Master of All Things Alloy' for help then . .
Old 05-31-2002, 02:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: roastduck88

NP, roastduck88. And you seem to have learned a valuable lesson in the process of presenting your point of view. Rather than argue with the facts, you're now stating your point of view based on your own personal experience. You've stopped generalizing your experience to include what everyone's experience ought to be. And you've stopped making yourself look foolish by attempting to substitute your experience for the combined expertise of an entire industry. That's growth as far as I'm concerned. And several other forum contributors (who shall remain nameless) would do well to follow your example.

A few centuries ago, I'm sure you'd be one of those people that would criticize Columbus about his this theory of the world being round.

That's alot of things the "industry" says, but I wouldn't always believe everything the "industry" says. I still stand by my opinion, those tires are still fine dispite all the miles and turns I take with them, if the "industry" says that the tires are really that unsafe mine tires would have been blown the first week I got them. And there are other people that have those tires and are perfectly fine with it as well. My quote of the day would be "never believe what you are always told". What you choose is up to you.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: roastduck88

A few centuries ago, I'm sure you'd be one of those people that would criticize Columbus about his this theory of the world being round.

That's alot of things the "industry" says, but I wouldn't always believe everything the "industry" says. I still stand by my opinion, those tires are still fine dispite all the miles and turns I take with them, if the "industry" says that the tires are really that unsafe mine tires would have been blown the first week I got them. And there are other people that have those tires and are perfectly fine with it as well. My quote of the day would be "never believe what you are always told". What you choose is up to you.
No, I want the last word, dammit!

Old 05-31-2002, 04:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: roastduck88

No, I want the last word, dammit!

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see you finally caught on to what I was trying to do Boy it's hot in San Jose.. ; )
Old 05-31-2002, 04:36 PM

last last last last word

....its normal here in foggy SF

related content:
....get whatever tires you want....I dont care they arent for my car
Old 05-31-2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Chimp Dj
Funny thing is maxima 17s are 8.0" wide, measured by a caliper
Is this why there is little to no buldge with 235's on the Maxima stock rims? Or are ALL aftermarket 17x7 rims 17x8 when measured by a caliper?

Quick Reply: 235 45 17 Tires