5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone getting hassled on intake by the Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 01:46 AM

Anyone getting hassled on intake by the Dealer?

I was wondering, has anyone recieved any hassle from the dealership when they found out you installed any minor or major "inside" mods (such as FSTB, RSTB, intake, etc.)? I only ask cuz my 30K checkup is around the cornor. Worried they might give me all kinds of crap about warranty, etc. Thanx
Old 05-27-2002, 03:20 AM
2K1HoMax

Re: Anyone getting hassled on intake by the Dealer?

Originally posted by Trunksu
I was wondering, has anyone recieved any hassle from the dealership when they found out you installed any minor or major "inside" mods (such as FSTB, RSTB, intake, etc.)? I only ask cuz my 30K checkup is around the cornor. Worried they might give me all kinds of crap about warranty, etc. Thanx
i actually called several dealers to find this out, they wont hassle u about the strut bar, or the intake as long as its properly installed. but any mod u have done to the car, the warranty wont cover, like if u added a y-pipe they wont cover the stock 1, exc...

Old 05-27-2002, 07:00 AM

mods

I had the front brakes done under warranty and they did not give me a problem about the FSTB.

However, if you have an after market intake, and bring it in, say for a bad MAF or other engine problem, you should return it to stock before the appointment. Otherwise I am sure you will get grief, or worse yet they may say the intake caused the engine problem and refuse to fix it under warranty.

Has anyone with an intake and a blown MAF had a problem with it being covered under the warranty?
Old 05-27-2002, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: mods

Originally posted by sascuderi
I had the front brakes done under warranty and they did not give me a problem about the FSTB.

However, if you have an after market intake, and bring it in, say for a bad MAF or other engine problem, you should return it to stock before the appointment. Otherwise I am sure you will get grief, or worse yet they may say the intake caused the engine problem and refuse to fix it under warranty.

Has anyone with an intake and a blown MAF had a problem with it being covered under the warranty?
I'm aware of at least one person who had to replace a MAF sensor and housing at their own expense because the MAF failed and they brought their car to a dealership with an aftermarket intake installed. I don't know if that individual is still a contributor to this forum. But let that be a warning.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:36 AM

Re: Re: Anyone getting hassled on intake by the Dealer?

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

i actually called several dealers to find this out, they wont hassle u about the strut bar, or the intake as long as its properly installed. but any mod u have done to the car, the warranty wont cover, like if u added a y-pipe they wont cover the stock 1, exc...
define "properly" installed? do you think it's better to take out the intake and put it back the way it was when I take it to get it checked on?
Old 05-27-2002, 11:41 AM

Re: mods

Originally posted by sascuderi

you know just in case, i think i will leave only the FSTB in and take out the intake. avoid some headaches i guess.
Old 05-27-2002, 03:46 PM

Re: Anyone getting hassled on intake by the Dealer?

My dealer gave me ****. They are stupid ignorant people.
ROger
Old 05-27-2002, 03:55 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Anyone getting hassled on intake by the Dealer?

define "properly" installed? do you think it's better to take out the intake and put it back the way it was when I take it to get it checked on?
thats what the dealer told me. but as u know i dont rust the dealer and most people dont either. so i returned mine to stock. iv played with the car so many times that i can return the car to stock in 10min. if i have to remove the rest of the mods, it can take some time, but definetly worth the time if there gonna cover anything under warranty.

Old 05-27-2002, 05:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My dealer told me that any mod is fine so long as it's not something crazy like NOS or messing around with the electrical. However, when my MAF went I made sure to change the intake back to stock, none the less. It's a PITA, but I figured it's better to be safe than sorry.

When I had my 94 Z28, my dealer had no problem at all with any of my mods (that car made 380hp to the wheels when I was done with it), but that dealer also hosted cruise nights and is into drag racing. Luckily, I never had any problem with anything on that car other than melted spark plug wires due to the headers, but I would replace them myself - I'm sure they wouldn't have covered that.

Albert
Old 05-27-2002, 05:22 PM

the dealer where i live is kool with mods i know the owner very well and even told him about the org then a few weeks later he started modding his max...
Old 05-27-2002, 05:24 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I twisted my driveshaft into a pretzel Drag Racing my Stang, and ford fixed it, after I nagged... I couldnt believe it !....
Old 05-27-2002, 05:44 PM

Intake

Twice I went to the dealer for the check engine light problem, and both times they refused to fix it, due to the mods, muffler and intake. I got fed up, and put the stock airbox back on. I was missing 8 screws, and the intake was a little croocked, but I blamed it on my father, hehe, saying he tried to replace the filter, and they reprogramed my ecu, which fixed the problem, and finished installing the intake without a hassle. Dealer didn't mention my RSB, Fstb, muffler or the cut shifter.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:45 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Some dealers are just A-Holes !
Old 05-27-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Some dealers are just A-Holes !
my cousin went to dealer to get a wheel alignment and when they asked him why, he told them he had just changed the shocks. They gave him a hard time when they heard that.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:25 PM
Yankees pwn you !

I recently took my Maxx in for its first oil change. The dealer didnt say anything about the intake. So I figure they are ok with it.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:10 PM
RKS

Originally posted by anskyruben
I recently took my Maxx in for its first oil change. The dealer didnt say anything about the intake. So I figure they are ok with it.
As long as you pay for the oil change they don't care what you have done to it. Now take the car in for warranty work and a boatload of mods and see how they react...
Old 05-27-2002, 07:13 PM

The dealer i bought my max at sells discounted stillen parts, so when i went in after puting in my hybrid intake, reverse indiglo gauges and my fstb, they all loved it. guess it depends on who ya take it to
Old 05-27-2002, 08:37 PM

wasnt willing to chance it so i took mine out(frankencar). i will put it back on when i come back from sc. i figure less evidence is better case if something does go wrong.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by transportchef
wasnt willing to chance it so i took mine out(frankencar). i will put it back on when i come back from sc. i figure less evidence is better case if something does go wrong.
Better safe than sorry. BTW, I like your sig!
Old 05-27-2002, 09:57 PM
Yankees pwn you !

Originally posted by RKS

As long as you pay for the oil change they don't care what you have done to it. Now take the car in for warranty work and a boatload of mods and see how they react...
Well if it means anything, I have free oil changes for life. If it means anything. Dont know if that would give them a motive to say anything. The dealership where I got my Maxx also sells stillen filters. So they might be cool with minor mods.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by anskyruben

Well if it means anything, I have free oil changes for life. If it means anything. Dont know if that would give them a motive to say anything. The dealership where I got my Maxx also sells stillen filters. So they might be cool with minor mods.
how did you get oil changes for life???
Old 05-28-2002, 09:07 AM

this should come as no surprise! When I was at the dealer for an oil change\inspection sticker, they took their sweet time doing the oil change and then told me that because of my clear side markers that they were unable to pass it! So I drive down the street and get it done at a garage with no hassle. I have never had a problem with my intake, but then again, I have never brought it in with a warranty claim.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:37 AM
Boost.....

Dealer fixed

Old 05-28-2002, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by maxman00
this should come as no surprise! When I was at the dealer for an oil change\inspection sticker, they took their sweet time doing the oil change and then told me that because of my clear side markers that they were unable to pass it! So I drive down the street and get it done at a garage with no hassle. I have never had a problem with my intake, but then again, I have never brought it in with a warranty claim.
they didn't pass you because of your clear corners? man now i'm stressing
Old 05-28-2002, 08:23 PM
Yankees pwn you !

how did you get oil changes for life???
It was part of their plot, for me to agree to pay more then what I had agreed to monthly. So as they where trying to convince me they threw in free oil changes. But it still didnt work. At the end I got the APR I wanted and the monthly payment I wanted, PLUS the oil changes.