5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Broadsided by a Buick

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 09:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Broadsided by a Buick

Unfortunately, my wife got broadsided by a little old lady in a Buick LeSabre this Saturday while driving her 2K Mercury Sable. My wife was going straight through an intersection with a green light when this lady just turned left into her from the opposite direction without looking. She admitted it was her fault. My wife is all right but very sore, even with the side air bag going off (They really work). Both front and rear left doors and the front fender will have to be replaced, and there is a serious problem with the left front wheel, as it now has to be held at a 45-degree angle just to go straight and the car shakes if going more than 15 mph. We took it into the body shop this morning. If the front end in this FWD car is really screwed up, is there a possibility the car is totaled? If so maybe I can talk her into a Maxima, paid for by the old lady's insurance.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:30 AM

Hard to say, of course, but I would think there would be a chance. Sounds like a lot of bucks to fix it.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:17 PM

Re: Broadsided by a Buick

Originally posted by Magellan
Unfortunately, my wife got broadsided by a little old lady in a Buick LeSabre this Saturday while driving her 2K Mercury Sable. My wife was going straight through an intersection with a green light when this lady just turned left into her from the opposite direction without looking. She admitted it was her fault. My wife is all right but very sore, even with the side air bag going off (They really work). Both front and rear left doors and the front fender will have to be replaced, and there is a serious problem with the left front wheel, as it now has to be held at a 45-degree angle just to go straight and the car shakes if going more than 15 mph. We took it into the body shop this morning. If the front end in this FWD car is really screwed up, is there a possibility the car is totaled? If so maybe I can talk her into a Maxima, paid for by the old lady's insurance.
Actually, it shouldn't take too much too total a 2000 Sable. But, check out the new IIHS crash tests. All of a sudden the Altima doesn't look so flimsy. Compare it to the Maxima.

www.hwysafety.org

Speaking of, I better start a new thread on the subject...
Old 05-28-2002, 07:03 PM
lcf

glad shes okay.
Old 05-28-2002, 08:14 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by lcf
glad shes okay.
Ditto.

Yeah, sounds like a lot of damage too. Those airbags are seriously not cheap to replace and it sounds like she got hit pretty hard. I wouldn't be surprised if they totalled it out. Hopefully you have good insurance.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 05-29-2002, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Ditto.

Yeah, sounds like a lot of damage too. Those airbags are seriously not cheap to replace and it sounds like she got hit pretty hard. I wouldn't be surprised if they totalled it out. Hopefully you have good insurance.
My insurance (USAA) is the best, but I'm assuming that the other person's insurance (Mercury) is responsible for the whole thing.

BTW, it may be more difficult than I thought to get my wife into a Maxima. The rental car she's driving is a Dodge Neon, and she likes it!
Old 05-29-2002, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Magellan
My insurance (USAA) is the best, but I'm assuming that the other person's insurance (Mercury) is responsible for the whole thing.

BTW, it may be more difficult than I thought to get my wife into a Maxima. The rental car she's driving is a Dodge Neon, and she likes it!
This may be lingering effects from the crash. Let her drive a G35 sedan and she should snap out of it!

Forgive me for not mentioning earlier that I was glad to hear she was alright. I was too easily distracted by the whole crash-test result thingy. On that note, tell her the Neon isn't half as safe as a Sable.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:53 AM

I appreciate everyone's well wishes for my spouse. You guys are a class act.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:01 AM
Got Projectors?

Like the others, I'm glad to hear she's alright. People first, then cars...only one of those can be replaced

Having formerly owned an American car and my dad having owned a 2001 sable in the past I used to look at the KBB values on the cars and they really weren't that great - at least compared to foreign cars.

With that said, I don't think it will take very much at all for the insurance company to consider it "totalled."

Good luck with everything, tell her the soreness will wear off - I had a friend go head-on into a tree in a 96 prelude at 50+mph. Thankfully he had his seatbelt on and his airbags fired so he was just bruised up.

John
Old 05-29-2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by noflash

This may be lingering effects from the crash. Let her drive a G35 sedan and she should snap out of it!

Hey Magellan.....

Glad she's okay.....
Old 05-29-2002, 11:42 AM
lcf

get her out of that neon!!!!