5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gas Mileage @ Emmissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 06:55 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Gas Mileage @ Emmissions

Thought this might be interesting. Over Memorial Day weekend I drove my 96 I30t down to Oklahoma to vistit by brother. I live in the Chicago area and it's over an 800 mile drive. Anyway, I got 23.5 mpg on the way down. Over the weekend I installed a cone air intake, my first real performance mod, I was pretty excitied. The return trip I got 25.5 mpg. I was surprised it gave me a full 2 miles extra per gallon!! I think I needed a new air filter so that could have been it. Also there can be other circumstances but with an 800 mile trip I am confident it is a real gain. Just wonderd if anyone else got that kind of increase?

Question? I have 90% of my questions anwsered searching old threads so I hope I am not repeaing something. I recently moved to Illinois and they have emmissions testing. I have never lived in a state that tested before. How concerned should I be about Y-pipes, removed resonators, high-flow mufflers, etc..? My neighbor said they also look under the car to see if every thing is leagal (But he is an idiot). If anyone lives in Illinois and has had any problems with passing emmissions tests I would appreciate info on what to avoid to stay legal. thanks.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Gas Mileage @ Emmissions

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
Thought this might be interesting. Over Memorial Day weekend I drove my 96 I30t down to Oklahoma to vistit by brother. I live in the Chicago area and it's over an 800 mile drive. Anyway, I got 23.5 mpg on the way down. Over the weekend I installed a cone air intake, my first real performance mod, I was pretty excitied. The return trip I got 25.5 mpg. I was surprised it gave me a full 2 miles extra per gallon!! I think I needed a new air filter so that could have been it. Also there can be other circumstances but with an 800 mile trip I am confident it is a real gain. Just wonderd if anyone else got that kind of increase?

Question? I have 90% of my questions anwsered searching old threads so I hope I am not repeaing something. I recently moved to Illinois and they have emmissions testing. I have never lived in a state that tested before. How concerned should I be about Y-pipes, removed resonators, high-flow mufflers, etc..? My neighbor said they also look under the car to see if every thing is leagal (But he is an idiot). If anyone lives in Illinois and has had any problems with passing emmissions tests I would appreciate info on what to avoid to stay legal. thanks.
The reason your car does this is because it(Cone Intake) allows your engine to opperate more efficently. If you put a free flowing exhaust, and a better ignition system you will notice similar results, your fuel economy only goes down once you start "flooring it off the line" and driving more agressively because of the excess power the mods added. awww the beauty of mods..oh but yeah you probably wont pass emissions if you get the free flow option. Is the Greddy 50 state legal? Some aftermarket exhaust are.
and make sure you have all your DOT stickers mounted in plain view in the engine bay! (for mod legality and such)