5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maximus1000 loses MAF, 2 hours from home.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 03:59 PM

Re: Re: ummmm

Old 06-03-2002, 04:05 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: ummmm

Originally posted by timby01
Is that TSB reference only for 2002?
Old 06-03-2002, 04:10 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Maximus1000 loses MAF, 2 hours from home.

Originally posted by TimW
Ed is stuck in Birmingham, car died on the side of the road. Car is at the closest dealer, they are saying the code thrown is the blown MAF. He's got the frankencar intake. No way to swap now, its at the shop. Has he got a chance? or is it a $450 maf and labor bill for him?
That's funny I'm in Birmingham right now, Serra Nissan? Wheres he at? Hmmm.. He hasn't got a chance. Bastard Nissan..

Old 06-03-2002, 04:15 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximus1000 loses MAF, 2 hours from home.

Originally posted by Colonel

I am not trying to protect FC..but doesnt Berk and PR and FC all use K&N? Plus people that use it outside of a straight tube, or am I just confused?

That is also why I would like to know if its a 02 or earlier. Doesnt the TSB apply only to the 02's? You know its Nissans way of wording. The TSB for the brakes says for the "2000" Nissan Maxima. I had to fight to get it done because of wording.
and don't Mustang SVT's come from the factory with a K&N Cone filter?
I don't see how they can point their greasy fingers at the Fran.Car intake for causing the problem!

Old 06-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximus1000 loses MAF, 2 hours from home.

Originally posted by Maxima06071

and don't Mustang SVT's come from the factory with a K&N Cone filter?
I don't see how they can point their greasy fingers at the Fran.Car intake for causing the problem!
Well we know Nissan will do anything to not spend money on warranty items when they know they have a faulty part thats expensive. If you read the TSB...(from memory or TimW) you have to use the FACTORY panel filter in "order" (theory) to get factory backing...How many here use a factory panel even if you dont use K&N.

I am guessing that Bosche, Puralator, Fram, STP and other manufacturers are in teh Nissans rather than a FACTORY OEM one. One is cost and the second is the hassle in order to get one.

I had not heard about the SVT's coming factory that way...that would be cool.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:54 PM

Guys, I don't think it's the KnN filter

that's causing the problem.

The logical explantion is VIBRATION.

The lack of the rubber midpipe is transmitting too much vibration, I think. The road transmits lot of vibration, like when driving over gravel road and stuff.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Maximus1000 loses MAF, 2 hours from home.

Originally posted by Colonel

Well we know Nissan will do anything to not spend money on warranty items when they know they have a faulty part thats expensive. If you read the TSB...(from memory or TimW) you have to use the FACTORY panel filter in "order" (theory) to get factory backing...How many here use a factory panel even if you dont use K&N.

I am guessing that Bosche, Puralator, Fram, STP and other manufacturers are in teh Nissans rather than a FACTORY OEM one. One is cost and the second is the hassle in order to get one.

I had not heard about the SVT's coming factory that way...that would be cool.
there was one at the Birmingham Auto show, the Sales rep. there convinced me they came from the factory that way; if he was lieing, then he should die.

I for one am using a Fran, I think....

Old 06-03-2002, 05:21 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well..

I re-read that TSB.. and it could be construed that they require a Nissan filter to be used when repairing.

Oh, heh, sorry DjP, I read that as AL, not LA. oops..

When Ed was up here last week, I remember he had a bracket loose.. hmmmm, maybe it is vibration. He should be online soon and give some details.. if there are any..
Old 06-03-2002, 06:01 PM

Re: well..

Oh, heh, sorry DjP, I read that as AL, not LA. oops..

and how much have we been drinking j/k

No prob bob
Old 06-03-2002, 06:50 PM

I wish that were my excuse..

hard to skim all these posts and keep my day job, just got in a hurry...
Old 06-03-2002, 07:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Call 1-800-NISSAN 1

Autotech Nissan of NYC charged me for work I kept on telling them should have been covered by the federal, not manufacturer's, warranty. They refused. I called Nissan corporate, faxed them the invoice, and what do you know, autotech called me a week or so later asking for my credit card number to credit my account.

Also, you guys might find this website helpful;

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/

Good luck.

DW
Old 06-03-2002, 08:03 PM

Re: I wish that were my excuse..

hard to skim all these posts and keep my day job, just got in a hurry...

i know the feeling, im at work now till about 11
Old 06-03-2002, 09:46 PM

Re: Guys, I don't think it's the K&N filter

Originally posted by ArcticMax
that's causing the problem . . .
Neither do I. This is from K&N's FAQs:

"Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle’s mass air sensor to fail?

No. A properly oiled K&N filter will not contaminate a mass air sensor. However, if you over oil your filter it is possible for oil to drip off the filter and contaminate the sensor. In the last few years certain vehicles have had design problems with the mass air sensors. Some local dealers have attempted to blame the problem on a K&N filter, however, of all the sensors we have sent off to be tested we have yet to find one that failed due to oil contamination. The defect in all cases was within the mass air sensor unit. If oil were to contaminate the sensor’s “hot wire”, the wire itself could be cleaned, however if there were a problem with internal circuitry the sensor would have to be replaced."
Old 06-03-2002, 09:48 PM
lcf

so this is a 2k2 maf problem?

or can we not make that conclusion as of yet?

how many cases of 2k/2k1 intake maf sensor problems do we have?

Old 06-03-2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by lcf

Run a poll and find out, lcf.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:22 AM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by lcf

you bet Nissan probably made a bad batch of 2k2 MAF sensors.

Old 06-04-2002, 12:27 AM
lcf

Originally posted by Maxima06071
you bet Nissan probably made a bad batch of 2k2 MAF sensors.
ive been noticing a lot more "complaints" from 2k2 owners than the 2k/2k1 owners.

i guess they really threw that car together.

why does nissan always cut corners?

Old 06-04-2002, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by lcf
ive been noticing a lot more "complaints" from 2k2 owners than the 2k/2k1 owners.

i guess they really threw that car together.

why does nissan always cut corners?

Check out this article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...utos_quality_2

Nissan has dropped below GM in terms of quality (average number of problems per 100 cars).

1) Toyota
2) Honda
3) BMW
4) Porsche - North America
5) GM
6) Nissan

Nissan had a 5% decline in quality.

Sad.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:54 AM
lcf

Originally posted by KennyLau

Check out this article:

Nissan has dropped below GM in terms of quality (average number of problems per 100 cars).

1) Toyota
2) Honda
3) BMW
5) GM
6) Nissan

Sad.
dood this is SAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2002, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by KennyLau

Check out this article:

1) Toyota
2) Honda
3) BMW
5) GM
6) Nissan

Sad.
You know...I really could have gone without hearing this.

Really.

Tony
Old 06-04-2002, 04:05 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

That's just INITIAL quality, not overall (long-term) quality.

But yeah, that's still sad.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:25 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

yes i have had a couple customers contact me to tell me their maf's had gone bad. i advised them on what to do and i also state exactly that in my instructions, "if you require nissan service we advise that you take the intake off" i have only heard of this happening on 2k2's, i'm almost sure nissan cut corners. honestly it did happen to me once and i put my car back to stock and then nissan WOULD NOT COVER it, they THOUGHT it was from a POSSIBLE modification. i'm still fighting with them over having to buy one, which was of course on backorder for weeks. i have an apexi on my car now and it seems to be faring better. i think they might just be oversensitive and just a little bit of oil from a k/n MIGHT be the cause but i'd bet on BAD QUALITY CONTROL. i hope a TSB comes out for this and it all get's squared away. what makes me sad is this would be the SECOND TSB that nissan made ME PAY to get fixed then a TSB came out, it happened with my CEL and the Pedal stop. needless to say i will prolly never buy another nissan again.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:40 AM

How compatible are the MAFs between generations? Could a 2K2 use a 2K,2K1 or even a Gen 4 MAF?

DW
Old 06-04-2002, 05:43 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dwapenyi
How compatible are the MAFs between generations? Could a 2K2 use a 2K,2K1 or even a Gen 4 MAF?

DW
4th gne's are a totally differnt bolt pattern and design so i say no. even the 2k-2k1's dont have the air temp sensor integrated. the 2k2's do, that sensor in you stock ram scoop is now in the MAF I believe, maybe one out of a 350Z, G35, and an Altima would work, maybe even a pathfinder one. i think they are engine specific.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

this would be the SECOND TSB that nissan made ME PAY to get fixed then a TSB came out . . .
I'm not club member #1 of the "Take your Service Writer to lunch" club for nothing. Once again, I urge forum members to establish a relationship with a Service Writer at their dealership. My Service Writer has gone to bat for me with NNA on several occasions. And so far, Nissan has fixed every problem on my car that was eventually covered by a TSB BEFORE the TSB was issued. The latest example of this occurred just yesterday. My Service Writer was able to get Nissan to absorb the cost of a new strut on the right strut tower of my wife's 2K GXE even though the strut itself isn't covered under the TSB.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. It isn't what you know, it's WHO you know that counts!

2. It's easier to attract bees with honey than with a baseball bat!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:36 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by y2kse

I'm not club member #1 of the "Take your Service Writer to lunch" club for nothing. Once again, I urge forum members to establish a relationship with a Service Writer at their dealership. My Service Writer has gone to bat for me with NNA on several occasions. And so far, Nissan has fixed every problem on my car that was eventually covered by a TSB BEFORE the TSB was issued. The latest example of this occurred just yesterday. My Service Writer was able to get Nissan to absorb the cost of a new strut on the right strut tower of my wife's 2K GXE even though the strut itself isn't covered under the TSB.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. It isn't what you know, it's WHO you know that counts!

2. It's easier to attract bees with honey than with a baseball bat!
How do you just become friends with your service writer? The guys in my area are usually 50 year old a-holes that would probably think I am queer if I tried to buy him lunch.

In AZ, does anyone have any good contacts at the dealership? I used to have this guy at Nissan of Scottsdale that was hella cool (and hella dumb), but I don't remember if he still works there.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by asu174

How do you just become friends with your service writer?
How do you become friends with anyone, asu174?
Old 06-04-2002, 07:05 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

The joys of Minima ownership.....

All 2k2s are now deemed Minimas. I was hoping the trend was going to reverse itself.......let's all hope the 2k4 Max goes back to the days of the 3rd gens......
Old 06-04-2002, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

All 2k2s are now deemed Minimas . . .
Yup. Right up until you stomp on the accelerator pedal.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:45 AM

Okay, I dont think I've responded to this thread yet. BTW, I'm the one that the MAF failure in the title happened too. First off, I dont really blame Steve for any failures. Early in the production of the intake he switched to a different more expensive filter to stave off MAF failure. Alas, I had the MonsterFlow filter with about 6000 miles on it. Besides being more ricey looking than the new Civic Si, I think the Monster Flow filter is a piece of utter sh**! That sucker costs almost a hundred bucks and cant even filter as good as an OEM panel filter????? Completely unacceptable. I'm going to write Mr. Monster a nice little e-mail about this. Unfortunately, since I was over two hours from home when my MAF sensor went out, I didn't have the luxury of throwing my stock intake back on. By the grace of God, the service writer in B'ham just replaced it under warranty (albeit behind his bosses back). Real nice guy. If not, I would have been out almost $500.00. I'm going to put my stock system back on soon and only use the aftermarket intake when I'm at the track or autocrossing.

On another note, my car was wrecked pretty bad last night so who knows. The body shop seems to think its not totalled (DOH!), so it'll be fixed. Its a A+A+A+A+A+ shop though, so I'm calming down a little. I'll keep all aprised.

BTW, Nissan needs to make a bigger cargo net so all of us intake guys can carry around our stock intakes for emergencies.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:54 AM
Boost.....

GLAD YOU'RE OK.....

Originally posted by Maximus1000
[B

BTW, Nissan needs to make a bigger cargo net so all of us intake guys can carry around our stock intakes for emergencies. [/B]
Old 06-04-2002, 08:56 AM

Re: GLAD YOU'RE OK.....

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp

You know, I wanted to say thanks to all the org members who showed concern over my MAF failure and/or accident. Even though I've only met a few of you in person, I feel like this is a really tight community.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:07 AM
Boost.....

Re: Re: GLAD YOU'RE OK.....

Originally posted by Maximus1000

You know, I wanted to say thanks to all the org members who showed concern over my MAF failure and/or accident. Even though I've only met a few of you in person, I feel like this is a really tight community.
I feel the same way....everyone is always willing to help, and is USUALLY genuinely (sp?) concerned.....

EXCEPT JEFF...
Old 06-04-2002, 09:13 AM

I wonder if this pertains to just the Maxima VQ35, or is it all the VQ35s, like in the Altima,Pathfinder,G35 etc?

DW
Old 06-04-2002, 09:16 AM

I know that..

Altys and PFs are throwing SES lights.. not sure why.. but could be the same issue..
Old 06-04-2002, 09:30 AM

Re: I know that..

Uh . . Oooooooooh h h h h h h h

Well, for those who've had their MAFs replaced, maybe they should compare their news ones to the original one on another 2K2. Maybe at the NE meet or something. See what the differences are, if any

DW

Altys and PFs are throwing SES lights.. not sure why.. but could be the same issue..
Old 06-04-2002, 09:33 AM
RussMaxManiac

My MAF went out on my 2k1 after I installed a Cone Intake. It was preoiled, etc. Well guess what, it caused the problem. The OIL on the filter got onto my maf, and messed it up. Luckly I guess I pulled it all apart, cleaned the maf, sprayed the little sensor with carb cleaner, it cleaned it. And put it back on, cleaned the filter myself and got all the oil out of it, and reoiled it lightly. Drove the car, it was fine. The actual maf had oil on it!

That is probably why they are dieing.

Old 06-04-2002, 11:02 AM

Damn I don't know what to do now ???

I installed FrankenCar intake about 1 month ago and love it so far but I am afraid of having all that MAF problems with it. My FrankenCar intake came with K&N filter, it didn't look over oiled or anything.

Steve, maybe going to Apexi filter will prevent the MAF damage?
Old 06-04-2002, 11:12 AM

dany...

not even a stock box/filter will prevent damage (or so the TSB reads to me).. you just need one to get the maf replaced..
Old 06-04-2002, 11:13 AM

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND putting the stock box back on. If you absolutely dont want to do that, at least have your OEM intake with OEM filter in the trunk and tools to put it on at a moments notice in case what happened to me happens to you.

Quick Reply: Maximus1000 loses MAF, 2 hours from home.