5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Some reasons i wont ever own a GM again...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 06:24 PM

Some reasons i wont ever own a GM again...

read this http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...atoday/4175199

some reasons i wont own a GM product again, i use to own a contour spent waaayyyyy too much on engine repairs but i luved goin to audio competitions in it
Old 06-07-2002, 06:38 PM

Re: Some reasons i wont ever own a GM again...

Originally posted by djPlayboy

some reasons i wont own a GM product again, i use to own a contour spent waaayyyyy too much on engine repairs but i luved goin to audio competitions in it
The Contour is a FORD.

In addition to my max, i also have a chevy lumina with 165000 miles on it. it has cost me less than 8 cents per mile... not including gas and oil... to own.

I have not been so fortunate with fords. Someone recently asked about stock max vs. stock mustang. Fast forward 120000 miles and the max will always win because the stang will be dead or dying
Old 06-07-2002, 06:53 PM

Re: Re: Some reasons i wont ever own a GM again...

Originally posted by SSandMaxima

The Contour is a FORD.

In addition to my max, i also have a chevy lumina with 165000 miles on it. it has cost me less than 8 cents per mile... not including gas and oil... to own.

I have not been so fortunate with fords. Someone recently asked about stock max vs. stock mustang. Fast forward 120000 miles and the max will always win because the stang will be dead or dying

chevy good, ford bad, nissan GREAT
Old 06-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ya i read that and i was like GM? anyways ford does suck and i will never drive a ford as long as i shall live unless its a saleen mustang...but thats not really a ford as far as im concerned hehe. FORD SUX, GM DOESNT. i love chevys, they are my favorite domestic car company by far!! but nissan is still better than them all
Old 06-08-2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
ya i read that and i was like GM? anyways ford does suck and i will never drive a ford as long as i shall live unless its a saleen mustang...but thats not really a ford as far as im concerned hehe. FORD SUX, GM DOESNT. i love chevys, they are my favorite domestic car company by far!! but nissan is still better than them all
I tend to agree that for the most part, the big three Japanese auto makers (Toyota, Honda, and Nissan) make better quality cars that can last a lot longer than anything the U.S. big three (GM, Ford, and DaimlerChrysler). But get a load of this article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...utos_quality_2

It makes me sad how Nissan is slipping concerning initial quality.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Love my Max.....My Chevy is already falling apart.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:18 PM
Jer

Re: Some reasons i wont ever own a GM again...

My 1997 GTP :
- headlight condensation
- musty smell in cabin followed by water leaks (no sunroof) - walked into a swimming pool one day
- cracked piston rod resulting in poofed engine
- new engine block returned with no oil; seized after a few minutes of driving
- blown transmission

All this within 35k miles of ownership, babied, no mods (just tint if that counts), replaced by the dealership because I threatened them with legal action.

My 1999 GTP :
- loose passenger seat, "added feature" of having the right side tilt, came free with car, "normal"
- lower gasket on supercharger leaked (blower was chaffed from the factory)
- lifter noise/clanking, never resolved
- oatmeal in tranny pan, new tranny required
- front passenger door panel had ghosts knocking and rattling trying to get out, never looked at
- shudder (similar to TCC shudder) causing car to drop out of speeds above 50mph and lose ability to accelerate. 8 weeks in shop; replaced ignition/plugs/wires/coils myself with two sets minimum, never resolved, GM could do nothing, became safety hazard,returned car.

All this within about 30k miles.

My 2000 Maxima SE loaded :
- coils replaced under warranty
- tranny solenoid TSB/TCM update
- free wash/newspaper after service (I found this cool since GM dealerships in the GTA seem to have problems locating a water hose to wash your car (apparently they had no problems pulling other hoses)

Past 35k now, still going strong - knock on wood. I need to clean up the interior, the girls make a mess since they don't appreciate cars much.

My verdict? Yeah, GM is still better than Ford (and I still think they're better than Chrysler in many ways), but they still suck. I'm never getting an american car unless it's a Viper or Ms. Kemps (sp?), VP or CEO or whatever of GM Canada, puts on a pair of kneepads and goggles and convinces me otherwise. I'll take a Z06 please.

Cheers,
Jer

Originally posted by djPlayboy