5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MAF sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 09:24 AM

MAF sensors?

One of my friends that drives an 2000 1.8t GTi told me that VW's are well known for loosing MAF sensors. He said that they went from $400.00 to $40.00 in one day. Is there any chance this will happen for Nissan people? I'm waiting right now to find out if my MAF sensor went over the weekend. Are there any places to purchase these for less online? Man I hope that I don't have to plop down $600.00 to get a new one installed. I can think of sooo many other ways to to spend that money.

P.S.
I drove my Grams Buick LeSabre 80
miles to work this morning. I must
say this thing is an awesome highway
cruiser.. lol
Old 06-10-2002, 09:45 AM

Re: MAF sensors?

judgin by your sig u have a 00 should be covered in your warranty
Old 06-10-2002, 10:02 AM

Re: Re: MAF sensors?

What's the warranty on the MAF? I have 79,000 on the car!

Originally posted by timby01
judgin by your sig u have a 00 should be covered in your warranty
Old 06-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: MAF sensors?

3yr/36k miles....u are too late for this one.

they have a TSB on the top too...check it out for more info. listed price for MAF and sensor is 480 something...

Originally posted by GXEme
What's the warranty on the MAF? I have 79,000 on the car!

Old 06-10-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: MAF sensors?

The dealership just quoted me $800.00 to fix this! I can't believe this! I'll be calling 1-800-Nissan1 shortly. They are saying that the part is $650.00 and that they need to reprogram that computer in order to make the new replacement part work correctly. Ahhhhh $800.00 DOLLARS!!!!! Does anyone know where to get a MAF cheap?
I guess it's time to start getting multiple quotes.

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
3yr/36k miles....u are too late for this one.

they have a TSB on the top too...check it out for more info. listed price for MAF and sensor is 480 something...

Old 06-10-2002, 11:17 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MAF sensors?

I assume u passed the warranty already....

the total work time is about 2.5 to 3 hours for replacing MAF and reprogram ECU...say they charge 60 dollars per hour and that's almost 200 dollars worht of labor.

check other nissan dealer and present them the TSB see if they can have it done under TSB.

The dealership just quoted me $800.00 to fix this! I can't believe this! I'll be calling 1-800-Nissan1 shortly. They are saying that the part is $650.00 and that they need to reprogram that computer in order to make the new replacement part work correctly. Ahhhhh $800.00 DOLLARS!!!!! Does anyone know where to get a MAF cheap?
I guess it's time to start getting multiple quotes.

Old 06-10-2002, 11:20 AM

Re: MAF sensors?

btw...do u have an aftermarket intake? or even K&N drop-ins?

thx

One of my friends that drives an 2000 1.8t GTi told me that VW's are well known for loosing MAF sensors. He said that they went from $400.00 to $40.00 in one day. Is there any chance this will happen for Nissan people? I'm waiting right now to find out if my MAF sensor went over the weekend. Are there any places to purchase these for less online? Man I hope that I don't have to plop down $600.00 to get a new one installed. I can think of sooo many other ways to to spend that money.

P.S.
I drove my Grams Buick LeSabre 80
miles to work this morning. I must
say this thing is an awesome highway
cruiser.. lol
Old 06-10-2002, 11:37 AM

Re: Re: MAF sensors?

it takes 10min to change the maf sensor
Old 06-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: MAF sensors?

Originally posted by timby01
it takes 10min to change the maf sensor
Does the MAF sensor come as the whole tube or the stupid sensor itself...I was under the impression is was the whole assembly.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: MAF sensors?

it's the whole thing...the tube costs nothing. but the sensor is the money sucker.

Originally posted by Colonel

Does the MAF sensor come as the whole tube or the stupid sensor itself...I was under the impression is was the whole assembly.

Nissan or any other garage will not quote a labor for 10 minutes for any repair....
Old 06-10-2002, 11:50 AM

btw...if u all need the part no. and picture...check out my post in the parts list for OEM part sheets and look for the MAF...it is called air flow meter in the part sheets.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:54 AM

1-800-NISSAN1 told me that 69,000 miles was 70% of the vehicles life and that they wouldn't cover it. But, I just got off the phone with a different dealer. They claim that thay have found a "RECALL" (not TSB) that covers my VIN# and that they are ordering the part and will call me when they are ready to do the work. I just got off the phone from the dealer where the car is and they are also going to look harder for the recall. Phew, I sure hope that this isn't too good to be true. BTW, no I've never had a K&N drop in or anything. I'm not so proud to admit it but I think the filter in there now is a FRAM..
Old 06-10-2002, 11:57 AM

By the way that last Nissan parts guy was that I was speaking to on the phone said that there is a huge list of MAF's to choose from for different builds of our cars?

btw...if u all need the part no. and picture...check out my post in the parts list for OEM part sheets and look for the MAF...it is called air flow meter in the part sheets.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:59 AM

FRAM air filters do not have the bad rep. It's the FARM oil filters you should stay away from.

DW

1-800-NISSAN1 told me that 69,000 miles was 70% of the vehicles life and that they wouldn't cover it. But, I just got off the phone with a different dealer. They claim that thay have found a "RECALL" (not TSB) that covers my VIN# and that they are ordering the part and will call me when they are ready to do the work. I just got off the phone from the dealer where the car is and they are also going to look harder for the recall. Phew, I sure hope that this isn't too good to be true. BTW, no I've never had a K&N drop in or anything. I'm not so proud to admit it but I think the filter in there now is a FRAM..
Old 06-10-2002, 01:39 PM

hmmm....MAF is just that plastic tube and a sensor attach to it....plus the bolts etc etc. shouldnt be a huge list and believe to be the same for 2k and 2k1.

By the way that last Nissan parts guy was that I was speaking to on the phone said that there is a huge list of MAF's to choose from for different builds of our cars?

btw...for the TSB (i dun remember there is a recall on our MAF) it stated that Nissan genuine filter needed to be in place for the warranty work...

would u do us a favor? if u havent done it, please go to y2kse's poll and vote the year of ur vehinle on blown MAF sensor.

thx
Old 06-12-2002, 06:39 AM

Yep, I went and voted on Y2k's poll. Also just wanted to let you all know that I've located an MAF at a salvage yard for $75.00...

hmmm....MAF is just that plastic tube and a sensor attach to it....plus the bolts etc etc. shouldnt be a huge list and believe to be the same for 2k and 2k1.

btw...for the TSB (i dun remember there is a recall on our MAF) it stated that Nissan genuine filter needed to be in place for the warranty work...

would u do us a favor? if u havent done it, please go to y2kse's poll and vote the year of ur vehinle on blown MAF sensor.

thx
Old 06-12-2002, 06:42 AM

Yep, I went and voted on Y2k's poll. Also just wanted to let you all know that I've located an MAF at a salvage yard for $75.00...

Problem is, how do you know it's the right one for your Maxima? And even if it is the right one, how do you know it works?

PS: Thanks for your vote.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:58 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

thx
that's illegal for them to do, there is a law that states that unless they provide that filter to you FREE of charge they can not decline warranty. i think it's called the magnus ferguson act or something, they quote it on the k/n site. you need to stand your ground with the dealers, they told me yesterday they my rims would void the warranty on my rotors that are warped and they wouldn't cover them. i'm calling them today to talk to the service manager and ***** them out. they are ridiculous over there at nissan.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:15 AM

Reality check

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

that's illegal for them to do, there is a law that states that unless they provide that filter to you FREE of charge they can not decline warranty. i think it's called the magnus ferguson act or something, they quote it on the k/n site. you need to stand your ground with the dealers, they told me yesterday they my rims would void the warranty on my rotors that are warped and they wouldn't cover them. i'm calling them today to talk to the service manager and ***** them out. they are ridiculous over there at nissan.
I agree, Steve. Many times dealerships make questionable calls when denying warranty service. But once again, they have the advantage of time and resources on their side. For instance, let's say that your dealership denies warranty service on a blown MAF sensor because you were running a Frankencar intake or you had a 3.5" hole in your fender you couldn't explain away or you had a non-OEM filter installed in your stock airbox. You decide to fight their decision. How long do you think it will take you to bring the issue to resolution? And how long can you afford to be without your car while you're fighting their decision?

Most of the time you won't win even if you're right. And your dealership knows that. So the best thing to do is not give them an excuse to deny warranty service in the first place. And, of course, it's always a good idea to become buddies with someone in your dealership's Service Department who is willing to turn a blind eye towards your mods. I'm not club member #1 of the "Take your Service Writer to lunch" club for nothing!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:30 AM

I know.....they get refund for insurance work too. but I dun understand why they have to be an **** about it. Prob. Nissan USA has limited amount that they can get refund for insurance work. but if they charge straight from customers....they can say whatever amount of labor/parts they want.

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

Old 06-12-2002, 12:11 PM

Your right, I'd be taking a chance on it.

Originally posted by y2kse

Problem is, how do you know it's the right one for your Maxima? And even if it is the right one, how do you know it works?

PS: Thanks for your vote.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Reality check

Originally posted by y2kse

I agree, Steve. Many times dealerships make questionable calls when denying warranty service. But once again, they have the advantage of time and resources on their side. For instance, let's say that your dealership denies warranty service on a blown MAF sensor because you were running a Frankencar intake or you had a 3.5" hole in your fender you couldn't explain away or you had a non-OEM filter installed in your stock airbox. You decide to fight their decision. How long do you think it will take you to bring the issue to resolution? And how long can you afford to be without your car while you're fighting their decision?

Most of the time you won't win even if you're right. And your dealership knows that. So the best thing to do is not give them an excuse to deny warranty service in the first place. And, of course, it's always a good idea to become buddies with someone in your dealership's Service Department who is willing to turn a blind eye towards your mods. I'm not club member #1 of the "Take your Service Writer to lunch" club for nothing!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
they all love my car over at jerry rome, mattsy was in there looking at a SE-R and they were talking about it. i think it's just nissan in geneeral, make fun of hyundai all you want but my mom's was in for service a lot, she got a loaner, they fixed her rotors and when they couldn't get teh Check engine light to stop coming on for a minor thing they gave her a new car WITH MORE OPTIONS with NO PENALTY, so she got a car worth a grand more, and drove teh other for 5k miles and it cost her nothing, i can confidently say this is the last nissan i will ever buy new, if at all. infiniti i might consider.