5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ne1 install E-brake boot from leatherseats.com??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 04:33 PM

ne1 install E-brake boot from leatherseats.com??

How do you do it? I just got the package finally. Haven't opened it yet. I assume i got stuff the leather into that rubber portion at the base of the E-brake? I gotta remove anything? ANyone know?
How far down do i put the leather boot on the ebrake, the hole is tight fit as it is. Thanks all, email please.

Roger
Old 06-11-2002, 07:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You have to remove the center column and then I beleive double side tape the leather to the plastic column.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by emax95
You have to remove the center column and then I beleive double side tape the leather to the plastic column.
Nope...I called him, um no instructions...sorry....Anyway. On the LEFT side there are 7-8 slits cut in the leather to match the notches on the plastic...if you take off the old plastic thing you will see. NO way to install/mount on the right side. I guess that is up to you to be creative...I think thats why there are no instructions. Yes I was told to take the console apart.

I have heard nice things about leatherseats.com but I am pretty dissatisfied with the boot. I am going to see how to install it on TOP of the other (factory plastic) boot to get a much better fit. Shuck out 45 bones and all I have to say is ....eh....

BTW, doublesided tape wont hold all that well.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Colonel

BTW, doublesided tape wont hold all that well.
No it won't....... maybe epoxy glue (quick dry) would be better....
Old 06-11-2002, 08:41 PM

yeah i wasnt amazed

ok
1) how do i take the console apart. I got a digicam to take pics but i dont know the first step at all
2) what slits on the left side?

yeah i wasnt amazed by the product either, but hey no one else offers something simple like this. I dont want a exaggerated MOMO looking boot with a corny shiny *** on it either.

I am going to ecuador this summer and see if i can manufacture my own leather boot. Leather in the country of ecuador is very very cheap. I think i can make like 12 boots for 45 bucks.
Roger
Old 06-12-2002, 06:12 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: yeah i wasnt amazed

Originally posted by radpp16
ok
1) how do i take the console apart. I got a digicam to take pics but i dont know the first step at all
2) what slits on the left side?

yeah i wasnt amazed by the product either, but hey no one else offers something simple like this. I dont want a exaggerated MOMO looking boot with a corny shiny *** on it either.

I am going to ecuador this summer and see if i can manufacture my own leather boot. Leather in the country of ecuador is very very cheap. I think i can make like 12 boots for 45 bucks.
Roger
To take the console off (I have a 5-spd) here is what you do (Remember to be careful not to scratch your stuff):
1) Take off the shifter bezel. Mine is one screw behind the ashtray and snaps around. I just grab inside the shift boot at the bottom and gently tug.
2) Remove the screw inside the armrest's LARGE cubby. Its under the piece of foam.
3) two screws down at the bottom back on the sides (R/L)...kinda to the side of either front seat. Probably have to move the seat forward all the way to get the screws.
4) two screws at the front where you removed the shift bezel.

That is according to the FSM. I have found all the screws but ran out of daylight before actually removing it. I will be doing that tonight. I will continue to post problems/discoveries here.

The slits are on the "left" side. If you look at the "non-leather" side you can see some measurement marks where they are roughly at. If you kinda stretch or bend the leather in the area you can see where the slits are.

If you think of manufacturing....research installation as that is what is lacking in this application. I hate having to put all this work into it to get it to look good. I have looked at the pics wonder how they got it to go on and look "square" around the bottom.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:24 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

HOLD OFF ON INSTALLATION!

It does not fit. I put it on last night and its TO TIGHT! Almost like there is not enough leather.

I talked to Eric today and since everyone griped about the bagginess, they modified the design to be tighter to meet popular opinion. I think (readpinion) they might have made it to tight.

I put it on (have pics if anybody wants to host them) and modified it on the non-factory cut side to get "anchor" holes. It was looking really good. I had no gaps at all. I was pumped. So I went to reinstall the console (you have to take it off. Period.) and when I slipped the boot over the ebrake it got really tight. I slid the boot all the way down the lever and when I pushed the two ranges of motion I either popped the back side out or the front side out. Grrr. So I removed the console and put the original plastic crap thing BEHIND/underneath the leather boot to try and get more "support". Same issue.

I am sending Eric some pic tonight to see if I can help him trouble shoot to get a better fitting boot.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:11 AM

Re: Re: yeah i wasnt amazed

First quality everywhere seems to be going in the schitter. With times the way they are in the economy companies are cutting corners, using sub-par components and materials to keep profits up. When I got my console out is noticed the shifter boot is even simulated leather, I wish I would have bought one of those with my e-brake boot now.

The interior of my 2k2 is not up to the standard of my previous 4th gen's. Plastic plastic plastic. And what’s with the door compartments man they look cheesy. Nissan couldn't even put some trim around the edge of the plastic so you don't see the mold seem (hmm I wonder if the Infinities have something like that...) +30k loaded msrp selling for 2g under invoice before rebate I wonder why, can't be just the 03's

Don't get me wrong I still love the car it's just a sign of the times, leaves me with more mods to buy My new 02 Chevy Silverado 1500HD has the same crap in it. I wonder how long all these plastic latches will last.

Sorry to get off on a rant. Here's how I got mine in.

This starts after you get the console out of the buggy and all of this is done with the console upside down on your lap so you'll know the positions I am talking about. I am also assuming this will be the same with 00's, 01's and 03's. You will need 1 new razor blade, if you have one use an Xacto knife. If you don't use a new blade for a razor knife, the large blades that come to a point on either side.

1. Remove the rubber cover. Start with the side with the slits. Pulling it off all off the tabs. Then carefully remove the rubber from the teats on the other side so as not to damage them.

2. Now take the leather boot with the seamed side toward the front of the console and push the slits in the boot over the tabs starting from the seam to the back. I don't recommend cutting the seams to make them larger the leather will give and hold tighter.

3. This is where the fun starts. Starting with the seamed side again align the boot so there is only a max of a 1/2" of over lap in the console and check the fit. Once you are happy with the fit push the leather on the first teat on the seam side, it should be the only one on the right side of the seam. Feel around the teat to do your best to know where the center is and point the corner of the razor blade in that position. While holding the blade in place pull the leather back some and push the blade through the leather a small amount then force the teat through the hole. Try to start with the smallest hole possible and make it larger as needed, the smaller the hole the better the holding power.

4. Now do the same on the last teat on the back end and alternate back and forth working your way to the center. The closer you get to the center the leather will get taught and you won't be able to pull it back to push the blade through. This is when you start to cut the leather with the knife while holding it over the teat. Don't worry if these are a little larger holes just do your best to go as far as you can before you start cutting. Most of the holding power is needed on the first 5 or 6 on the ends.

I was very surprised how well it holds in place and there isn't much force ever exerted on it but if it ever start pulling off I will glue the leather to the tabs and teats. I know it sounds like a pain but after doing it I don't see how it could have been made any other way. Leatherseats.com had to make do with what Nissan gave them to work with... Plastic.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:24 AM

Re: HOLD OFF ON INSTALLATION!

I noticed mine was a little tight also but I worked it far enough down the handle that it hasn't pulled loose in the range of motion.
But I think it's still to tight. Let me know what you find out as I will you I'm calling Eric also.

My instructions will be the same even if it gets replaced
Old 06-13-2002, 09:03 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: HOLD OFF ON INSTALLATION!

Originally posted by maximaman777
I noticed mine was a little tight also but I worked it far enough down the handle that it hasn't pulled loose in the range of motion.
But I think it's still to tight. Let me know what you find out as I will you I'm calling Eric also.

My instructions will be the same even if it gets replaced
Yup I installed the same way...I have to work my boot all the way down past that "seam" in the handle. When the handle goes down it does not "give" enough and pulls on the teats. The surface tention of the leather is very high. I just might have gotten a mismeasured version.

I compared it to the pic on the original gd post and its WAY off. I bought on that assumption. I was unaware that they changed (and was not told either when I ordered) the design from what was posted...sigh.

I did the process as you so nicely detailed and I dont seem to have enough leather to work with. I also did not rush. I measured and test fit a bunch of times before cutting those "teat" holes as I really did not want to make a mistake. And yes DONT cut the slits any bigger. I was going to, but just kept working on the leather and snugged it in and it was a great fit on that side!

Yes, there might not have been any other way to produce the product, but I feel that--
1) should have had instruction or at least hints on how to assemble and pictures of their installation.
2) Notified us that the design had changed...I dont like the super tight look (but business dictates to follow group opinion to stay in business...just wish I knew it changed)

And yes I agree, regardless of the impending changes, installation will have to be as you described! Thanks for detailing it!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:00 AM

Yes, there might not have been any other way to produce the product, but I feel that--
Agreed
Old 06-13-2002, 07:12 PM

so what do i do?

Please Mass email me the pics of what it looks like please
rogerdiaz@nj.rr.com
I will put them on my cardomain site.
I will resize if i have to . send them in a zip.
SO should i even atttempt to install it? What has Eric said?I will not pay 10 dollars shipping again.
Roger
Old 06-13-2002, 07:36 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: so what do i do?

Originally posted by radpp16
Please Mass email me the pics of what it looks like please
rogerdiaz@nj.rr.com
I will put them on my cardomain site.
I will resize if i have to . send them in a zip.
SO should i even atttempt to install it? What has Eric said?I will not pay 10 dollars shipping again.
Roger
Well MaximaMan and I are working on it, Eric said he would get a bigger one out. I email him the pic and we will see.

I will be getting pics of the install and how it looks. I will email them to you and you can decide what to post.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:22 AM

Better service than I would have thought...

Well I received a new one today via UPS with out so much as another call from me. Based on the time it takes in transit it should have shipped on 6/20, 1 week after Colonel and my calls to them, not bad not bad at all. It doesn't appear they want the old 1 back either.

The new 1 definitely has more material although it's hard to tell if the opening for the handle is any larger. This should do the trick. I won't have time to install it for a few days.

If you have 1 and don't think it will fit give Eric a call and get it replaced. If you've held off buying cause you weren't sure then buy now, the prob.’s are fixed and comes highly recommended now. I must say I am very pleased with the service after all. Just follow my previous instructions as they are not supplied and you'll come away with a good fit.

Good luck all.
Adam
Old 06-24-2002, 10:26 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Better service than I would have thought...

Originally posted by maximaman777
Well I received a new one today via UPS with out so much as another call from me. Based on the time it takes in transit it should have shipped on 6/20, 1 week after Colonel and my calls to them, not bad not bad at all. It doesn't appear they want the old 1 back either.

The new 1 definitely has more material although it's hard to tell if the opening for the handle is any larger. This should do the trick. I won't have time to install it for a few days.

If you have 1 and don't think it will fit give Eric a call and get it replaced. If you've held off buying cause you weren't sure then buy now, the prob.’s are fixed and comes highly recommended now. I must say I am very pleased with the service after all. Just follow my previous instructions as they are not supplied and you'll come away with a good fit.

Good luck all.
Adam
So you installed the new one? Coolio...I just got mine today and will go in tomorrow. I might snap some better pics this time around. Do you think that would help.

Yes I was VERY pleased with the customer service on this one. I spoke to Eric, and then about 5 days later I got an email stating that a new one was in the mail. Got it today.

Phew...I feel relieved. I know eventually I was going to need new leather seats eventually and this was going to be my first stop. Two thumbs up...no more worries...he he he. Now just have to pull that stupied console back out...DOH!