5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intake choices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 06:08 PM

Intake choices?

I've been wanting to purchase an intake for my 2k2 max and need some input. Cold air is always good but do they out perform other intakes. I know this was probably posted some time before but who has had some good results from Using CAI. How about the cutting of the whole. I'm new to this so plz inform me!
Old 06-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Intake choices?

Originally posted by Chaser
I've been wanting to purchase an intake for my 2k2 max and need some input. Cold air is always good but do they out perform other intakes. I know this was probably posted some time before but who has had some good results from Using CAI. How about the cutting of the whole. I'm new to this so plz inform me!
Let's cut to the chase. Unless you want to say goodbye to your warranty if your MAF sensor decides to take a dump, DO NOT CUT A HOLE IN YOUR FENDER! If you want to install a CAI, purchase an Injen. If you want to install an HAI, buy a Berk Tuning for all of $55.00 or a Frankencar if you want an intake with a mid-pipe. You can't go wrong with either one.

There are a million threads on the subject of intakes. Regardless of how much we share with you here, you will be slighting yourself if you don't use the search function and learn all you can before you make a purchase decision.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:15 PM

Re: Re: Intake choices?

Originally posted by y2kse

Let's cut to the chase. Unless you want to say goodbye to your warranty if your MAF sensor decides to take a dump, DO NOT CUT A HOLE IN YOUR FENDER! If you want to install a CAI, purchase an Injen. If you want to install an HAI, buy a Berk Tuning for all of $55.00 or a Frankencar if you want an intake with a mid-pipe. You can't go wrong with either one.

There are a million threads on the subject of intakes. Regardless of how much we share with you here, you will be slighting yourself if you don't use the search function and learn all you can before you make a purchase decision.

Good luck!
i agree. very good idea to do a search. btw i have a frankencar. nice sound. nice pull. no complaints.

Chung-Hsien
Old 06-14-2002, 08:29 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Y2K is 100% right. I love my Frankencar, it sounds and mean, and I felt the high end improvement for sure !
Old 06-14-2002, 09:03 PM

put a Frakencar....you'll be very happy
don't get into a CAI...something quick and easy
Old 06-15-2002, 05:28 AM

The search helped

Originally posted by 2001SE
put a Frakencar....you'll be very happy
don't get into a CAI...something quick and easy
What about the Mass air flow problems I was reading about in the search. Anyone with 2k2 with MAF problems from there intake?
Old 06-15-2002, 06:28 AM

Re: The search helped

What about the Mass air flow problems I was reading about in the search. Anyone with 2k2 with MAF problems from there intake?
You should be able to find that with a search as well. Search in the 5th Gen column under "MAF Sensor".

I'd recommend that you put your stock airbox, mounting hardware, and tools into your trunk after you install an aftermarket intake. That way, in the unlikely event of a MAF sensor failure, you'll be able to remove the aftermarket intake and reinstall your stock airbox before taking your car to the dealership for warranty repairs.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:18 PM

Re: Intake choices?

general max forum has a thread on the first page and it's about someone did a temperature study on the air flow between 3 different intake, include CAI.

there has been arguements about using CAI or underhood intake. CAI is good for collection cold air about when u have a long distance to travel, the air density can be altered. But when it comes under hood intake and a very hot day......air density will also decrease b/c hot air just tends to expand.

Frankencar is favorite by most of the .org member b/c it re-route the filter as far as possible to the front. In addition to that, the version 2 is going to have a heatshield and a cold air routing tube.

a good combo will be a hybrid intake....where u have berk tuning 55 dollars and 55 dollars for franken car's mid pipe....Berk tuning comes with a mounting plate to hold the MAF adapter, whereas Frankencar uses a metallic bracket.

compare to 1.5 year ago....we can now sit down and decide which one we want....

have fun!

Old 06-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Intake choices?

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
general max forum has a thread on the first page and it's about someone did a temperature study on the air flow between 3 different intake, include CAI.

there has been arguements about using CAI or underhood intake. CAI is good for collection cold air about when u have a long distance to travel, the air density can be altered. But when it comes under hood intake and a very hot day......air density will also decrease b/c hot air just tends to expand.

Frankencar is favorite by most of the .org member b/c it re-route the filter as far as possible to the front. In addition to that, the version 2 is going to have a heatshield and a cold air routing tube.

a good combo will be a hybrid intake....where u have berk tuning 55 dollars and 55 dollars for franken car's mid pipe....Berk tuning comes with a mounting plate to hold the MAF adapter, whereas Frankencar uses a metallic bracket.

have fun!

difference is that my filter is a bigger size i believe and has a chrome top. don't quote me but i THOUGHT he used rubber topped one. i just think the chrome looks much better and stuck with those. and yes stage 2 should be coming soon. i might go to the track wednesday and try switching it in and out.

-steve
Old 06-15-2002, 01:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Intake choices?

he uses rubbered top.....I wonder if u guys will switch to double funnel, like his Apex.

btw, do u just sell the K&N by itself? how much it will be? thx

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

difference is that my filter is a bigger size i believe and has a chrome top. don't quote me but i THOUGHT he used rubber topped one. i just think the chrome looks much better and stuck with those. and yes stage 2 should be coming soon. i might go to the track wednesday and try switching it in and out.

-steve
Old 06-15-2002, 06:20 PM

Calm down on the comments of cutting a hole. If you people dont know what you are talking about, then keep the comment to yourselves. Cutting the Hole does not breach any integrity in the frame or in an accident.

And not to mention if you remove the intake and put back stock, you are not going to see the Hole.

"I dont want to cut a hole... I dont want to do this...... I dont want to do that......" Words from a NON-Hardcore Modder.

My 2cents.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Calm down on the comments of cutting a hole. If you people dont know what you are talking about, then keep the comment to yourselves. Cutting the Hole does not breach any integrity in the frame or in an accident.

And not to mention if you remove the intake and put back stock, you are not going to see the Hole.

"I dont want to cut a hole... I dont want to do this...... I dont want to do that......" Words from a NON-Hardcore Modder.

My 2cents.
This has nothing to do with the integrity of the frame in an accident, BigDogJonx. It has to do with a hole in your fender that a technician is going to see when he starts snooping around your intake after you blow your MAF sensor. He's going to find that hole, Big Dog, and you know it.

Your $600.00!
Old 06-15-2002, 06:53 PM

Keving is out of the picture already...he got one on his driver side (old PR CAI) and one on the passenger side (SC cust. CAI)

Originally posted by y2kse

This has nothing to do with the integrity of the frame in an accident, BigDogJonx. It has to do with a hole in your fender that a technician is going to find when he starts snooping around your intake after you blow your MAF sensor. He's going to find that hole and you know it.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
Keving is out of the picture already...he got one on his driver side (old PR CAI) and one on the passenger side (SC cust. CAI)

Yup. Well Kevin stopped caring about his warranty a long time ago, I suspect.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:04 PM

Any Idea?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
[B]general max forum has a thread on the first page and it's about someone did a temperature study on the air flow between 3 different intake, include CAI.

have fun!

Any idea when the version 2 will becoming out and cost.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:05 PM

I have a Berk intake already, my question is...is it worth it to buy the mid pipe to convert that Berk into a Frankencar, what benefits would I get??? By the way I am very happy with my Berk so far, I recommend it.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:17 PM

mroe horsies! louder, meaner......depends on ur need, if u think that berk sounds too low...go for the midpipe.

Originally posted by armando8a
I have a Berk intake already, my question is...is it worth it to buy the mid pipe to convert that Berk into a Frankencar, what benefits would I get??? By the way I am very happy with my Berk so far, I recommend it.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:24 PM

Where can I get that mid-pipe from??? Like I said I have a Berk already.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:58 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by armando8a
Where can I get that mid-pipe from??? Like I said I have a Berk already.
www.frankencar.com

and i have an apexi on my car now i will be ordering some very soon to offer as a choice.

STAGE 3 which will be the heatshield shoudl be out soon.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:40 PM

I just installed a new frankencar..and it is awesome..good sound, good high end power, and very easy to install..I would recommend it 110%