5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another Intake Question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 12:29 AM

Another Intake Question..

ok, it seems like intakes are the most talked about subject lately. well now i have another question. people have been debating about heat issues and such. my question is: what is more beneficial performance-wise, more air(being less restrictive) or less heat? Obviously with a Berk, Frankencar, Stillen, JWT, etc.. with or without the midpipe, a lot more air is being sucked in compared to the stock intake box. However, a lot of people have been complaining about hot air with these intakes. does it matter? i mean once the car is moving doesn't the engine bay cool down significantly due to circulation? Then there's the question of where the Injen CAI is getting its cold air, behind the hot radiator? as far as my opinion goes, more air to the engine is beneficial regardless if its hot or cold.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:19 AM
SoloMaxima

Re: Another Intake Question..

Originally posted by 8702
ok, it seems like intakes are the most talked about subject lately. well now i have another question. people have been debating about heat issues and such. my question is: what is more beneficial performance-wise, more air(being less restrictive) or less heat? Obviously with a Berk, Frankencar, Stillen, JWT, etc.. with or without the midpipe, a lot more air is being sucked in compared to the stock intake box. However, a lot of people have been complaining about hot air with these intakes. does it matter? i mean once the car is moving doesn't the engine bay cool down significantly due to circulation? Then there's the question of where the Injen CAI is getting its cold air, behind the hot radiator? as far as my opinion goes, more air to the engine is beneficial regardless if its hot or cold.
try doin a search on this topic...

Old 06-19-2002, 06:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Another Intake Question..

WHACK, WHACK, WHACK(sound of dead horse being beat)
Old 06-19-2002, 11:07 PM

i've searched.. maybe not searching the right thing, but what is better, cooler air or more air?
Old 06-20-2002, 12:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

intake

i've searched.. maybe not searching the right thing, but what is better, cooler air or more air?
more air is better, YES...BUT colder air is more dense than hot air...thats y colder air is better.....(to put it short and to the point)
Old 06-20-2002, 04:28 AM

Another .org posting did a temperature test between intakes. After about two minutes, both the CAI and the pop/berk/franken intakes pull in about the same temps. This means:

1) Constant driving/highway driving is a tie
2) Racing and track runs are going to favor CAI because it takes a minute or two for the pop/berk/frankens to start getting cooler air
3) Stop-n-go and city traffic is going to favor CAI.