5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test drove 328 and G35...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 02:11 PM

Test drove 328 and G35...

Both had the sport package. I gotta tell you, I fell in love with the 328 (1999) and after that, driving in the G35 was like "meh". Serious, the G35 seemed nice, but I was expecting much, much more. It's like a smaller, nicer Maxima. Honestly, I couldn't even tell it was RWD. The 3-series was like part of the road, like you were driving a living legend. I know that sounds corny, but it is truly the benchmark for all other sport sedans to aspire to. Now if I can only keep from modding it...
Old 06-19-2002, 02:17 PM
Blu
the tits

Re: Test drove 328 and G35...

so i guess it bye bye maxima and hello 328 and higher payments on a used car

Originally posted by noflash
Both had the sport package. I gotta tell you, I fell in love with the 328 (1999) and after that, driving in the G35 was like "meh". Serious, the G35 seemed nice, but I was expecting much, much more. It's like a smaller, nicer Maxima. Honestly, I couldn't even tell it was RWD. The 3-series was like part of the road, like you were driving a living legend. I know that sounds corny, but it is truly the benchmark for all other sport sedans to aspire to. Now if I can only keep from modding it...
Old 06-19-2002, 02:23 PM

Re: Re: Test drove 328 and G35...

Originally posted by TRUblu2K2

Yes, the extra $26/month will be worth it though.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Re: Re: Test drove 328 and G35...

To each their own. Personally, I don't like BMWs.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by TRUblu2K2

Hey TRUblu,

I know this is OT but did you ever figure out how much drop you got from your H&R's? I am curious how consistent the measurements are...
Old 06-19-2002, 02:41 PM
Blu
the tits

tell you the truth i didn't measure but will take pics this week probablt 2morrow after i wash and you can compare to your drop there is approx 3 finger in front and 2 finger in back but have only been installed 3 days

Originally posted by Matthew

Hey TRUblu,

I know this is OT but did you ever figure out how much drop you got from your H&R's? I am curious how consistent the measurements are...
Old 06-19-2002, 02:54 PM

i personally would take the G35,manual of course, just for the fact that it's a new car. why spend about the same amount of money for a 2-3 year old car,BMW or not, when you can get a comparable car in terms of performance? of course, this is just my .02 After R/T article on the 11 super sedans, i'm leaning towards the g35, and price is an issue, i'm not richie rich....pc
Old 06-19-2002, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by 2kseman
i personally would take the G35,manual of course, just for the fact that it's a new car. why spend about the same amount of money for a 2-3 year old car,BMW or not, when you can get a comparable car in terms of performance? of course, this is just my .02 After R/T article on the 11 super sedans, i'm leaning towards the g35, and price is an issue, i'm not richie rich....pc
I felt the same way after that article. It really says G35=performance bargain. BUT the 330 scored higher b/f cost and all but two testers chose the BMW over the Infiniti (out of 7?). The 328 is slightly cheaper, I don't have to wait for the 5-sp G35, and I like it better.

I shoulda mentioned it's certified. So, it has one year left on its bumper-to-bumper warranty and then the certified warranty 'til May 2005.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:33 PM

Time and time again BMW's have been rated as the perfomance benchmark for its class. Even the MB's C-class doesn't hold a candle to them. A fully loaded 330CI or 330i runs about $41k(ouch) w/out Navi. LUUUUV my Max but have driven numerous three series and absolutely love: handling, luxury, power, in other words it's an extremely well put together car. Been lurking lots of sites and a new three series is due out out in 2004. A new five series will come out this Fall(380HP Twin Turbo). I've seen lots of 2001 three series on e-bay and am seriously considering one(they are as low as $28-29K). Get what you want, period. The Max is a great bang for the buck. The 2002's have a $5,500 discount in my area. I drive a lot in my line of work and need a car that can handle this with minimal depreciation. That might play a big part in buying another Max. If you can afford the three series let me tell you in Nike's words "Just Do It".
Old 06-19-2002, 03:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when i test drove lowered TL-s and bmw 330 (both brand new from dealer). I didn't notice the difference in handling, actually I wasn't even thinking about handling when test driving. Maybe that's the reason why I didn't notice the difference in handling.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:53 PM

i heard this too...imagine what the new m3 will pack if this is true.

Originally posted by rubman
A new five series will come out this Fall(380HP Twin Turbo).
Old 06-19-2002, 04:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Test drove 328 and G35...

Congrats, good choice. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to keep yourself from modding it. At least get a Dinan or Jim Conforti intake so you can catch up to me
Old 06-19-2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by craaaazzy

I can tell you right now it's gonna be a V8.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:29 PM

Hahahahahah, good point, if you were paying close attenion, you would INSTANTLY notice how the Bimmer has 2309487239047X better handling than the TLS...

Originally posted by tapwr3000
when i test drove lowered TL-s and bmw 330 (both brand new from dealer). I didn't notice the difference in handling, actually I wasn't even thinking about handling when test driving. Maybe that's the reason why I didn't notice the difference in handling.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by rubman
I drive a lot in my line of work and need a car that can handle this with minimal depreciation.
Consumer Reports says the Maxima's depreciation is much worse than the 3-series. And from my used Max's value to the used 328's value, I believe 'em!
Old 06-19-2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Congrats, good choice. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to keep yourself from modding it. At least get a Dinan or Jim Conforti intake so you can catch up to me
Oh God No! just tell me where...

Seriously, where are the informative 3-series forums? I have so much to learn: Only service when the computer says so, right? What size to get for snow tires? What's the lil red thing under the rear-view mirror for? (Iknow that one, but it's a little buggy).

I am to take delivery on Monday. This is b/c they are repairing a wheel that the previous owner introduced to a curb. This gives me time to strip my car. I saw at bavauto.com that they sell Infiniti Basslinks that are made to work with the 3's stock radio. Anyone know how easy it would be to do that with mine?

Also, need an alarm. Can you get one to work with OE buttons on the key. I know this is OffForum... old habit
Old 06-19-2002, 05:54 PM

1) Informative 3-series forums:
www.roadfly.org
www.E46fanatics.com
e46.dtmpower.net
www.bimmerfest.com

2) How many miles on the car? Usually the computer will tell you when service is due. The calculation is based on how hard you drive the car. The harder you drive the faster you'll need service.

3) I am not sure about winter tires. What I'm going to do is purchase a winter wheel/tire combo from tirerack, or buy OEM BMW wheels from someone on the board and get winter tires. I run summer tires, no good in winter.

4) The little thing under your rear view mirror is the "clown nose" for the alarm. When alarm is activated the clown nose blinks.

5) Ask anyone on the mentioned above forums about the basslinks.

6) If you buy the OEM BMW alarm, you'll be able to use the key only, no additional remotes. The cheapest place to get an OEM alarm is www.circlebmw.com. My dealer quoted me $600 for alarm and installation. I bought the alarm for $225 at CircleBMW, installed myself and got it activated for free. Saved almost $400
Alarm includes the siren, motion and tilt sensors.

If you need more help, let me know.
Andy
Old 06-19-2002, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove 328 and G35...

Wow, great reply. All my queries have been handled in one reply.

2) How many miles on the car?
Only 24,000 - not bad for a three year old car. Not sure what the computer will think of my driving habits. I drive my max hard, and I test drove the 3 the same way, but I actually found myself enjoying mild driving as well.

3) Tirerack does have good winter deals. Guess they aren't posted now - I can wait.

4) The little thing under your rear view mirror is the "clown nose" for the alarm. When alarm is activated the clown nose blinks.

Oh, I thought it was a light sensor. Damn that nose bugs! It doesn't have the alarm, but I like they way you installed yours. I will attempt the same. Was it difficult? Did it come with directions or are you just skilled in those areas?

5) Ask anyone on the mentioned above forums about the basslinks.
Will do.

6) If you buy the OEM BMW alarm, you'll be able to use the key only, no additional remotes. The cheapest place to get an OEM alarm is www.circlebmw.com. My dealer quoted me $600 for alarm and installation. I bought the alarm for $225 at CircleBMW, installed myself and got it activated for free. Saved almost $400
Alarm includes the siren, motion and tilt sensors

GOOD NEWS!

If you need more help, let me know.

Thanks a ton Andy, that was wicked informative.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove 328 and G35...

No problem.
Here's a very informative site with DIYs. Directions on how to install a BMW alarm are also there.
http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_Files.htm
Old 06-19-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by craaaazzy

Read that quote on the five series on www.autoweek.com
The M car based on that five series will pack a 5.5 V10 550 H.P. engine. The 2006 M3 is scheduled to have a 400+ H.P. V8(MAD STUFF).
Old 06-19-2002, 09:46 PM
I miss the .org!

Don't forget the higher price$ you'll be spending on parts, repair, and mods... That's what's keeping me from getting a used 3 series.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove 328 and G35...

That would be "to each HIS own." You had a noun / pronoun disagreement problem.

Originally posted by asu174

To each their own. Personally, I don't like BMWs.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:20 AM

I guess all the BMW 3 series fans don't have many friends. If they did, they would need a Maxima or G35 so they would actually fit in the back seat of the car! Did you even look in the back seat when you compared the two? If back seat room doesn't matter, why are you looking at sedans in the first place?
Old 06-20-2002, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by 2kseman
i personally would take the G35,manual of course,
You can get the G35 with a true manual tranny?

Buzz
Old 06-20-2002, 06:52 AM
jjs

Yep...

Originally posted by tbirdrob
I guess all the BMW 3 series fans don't have many friends. If they did, they would need a Maxima or G35 so they would actually fit in the back seat of the car! Did you even look in the back seat when you compared the two? If back seat room doesn't matter, why are you looking at sedans in the first place?
I actually find the WHOLE car cramped. Driving around in the GF's '99, it is very good handling, but I feel like a runner wearing a shoe one size too small. Yep, you can make good time, but it isn't very comfortable doing it.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:53 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by Nick Exxon

Buzz
the coupe
Old 06-20-2002, 06:57 AM

I could've sworn this was a maxima forum. My mistake, I must have typed in the wrong URL.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:12 AM

Re: Yep...

Originally posted by jjs

I actually find the WHOLE car cramped. Driving around in the GF's '99, it is very good handling, but I feel like a runner wearing a shoe one size too small. Yep, you can make good time, but it isn't very comfortable doing it.
Being a 6'5" tall guy, I am actually more comfortable and have more legroom in 3-series coupe than a 4th gen Maxima.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:26 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Yep...

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Being a 6'5" tall guy, I am actually more comfortable and have more legroom in 3-series coupe than a 4th gen Maxima.
Perhaps, perhaps, but that is only legroom, and in the front, yes it is OK. The rest of the car, shoulder room, head room, elbow room, etc., etc. are noticeably smaller than a Max, at least a 5th Gen.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:09 AM

That would be "to each HIS own." You had a noun / pronoun disagreement problem.

Wow, that's two insulting emails in a row! I see why YOU have so many friends.

I am 6'3" I fit fine in the front. The 10-way sport seats are much more comfortable and supportive than the Maxima. I sat in the back seat and fit there too. Of course it's not as roomy as the Maxima, but I never sat in my own back seat.

You've got a bit of an attitude tbirdrob. Maybe you should lighten up so we can discuss objectively.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:12 AM

Buzz
The coupe comes out with a manual in November. Shortly after the sedan will come with the same six-speed. The dealer told me they were pushing back its release so it won't compete with the Z.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:53 AM

Buzz
local infiniti dealer told me the manual version, sedan, will be out
in october. remember, that's what the salesman said, and you know what we say about the salesman...
Old 06-20-2002, 03:32 PM

Wow, that's two insulting emails in a row! I see why YOU have so many friends.

I am 6'3" I fit fine in the front. The 10-way sport seats are much more comfortable and supportive than the Maxima. I sat in the back seat and fit there too. Of course it's not as roomy as the Maxima, but I never sat in my own back seat.

You've got a bit of an attitude tbirdrob. Maybe you should lighten up so we can discuss objectively.
Attitude?! I'm sorry to offend; I thought it was kind of funny, myself. "Noun/pronoun disagreement" come on, that's funny!

Rob
Old 06-21-2002, 06:46 AM

Attitude?! I'm sorry to offend; I thought it was kind of funny, myself. "Noun/pronoun disagreement" come on, that's funny!

Rob
All's well.

BTW, check http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4 for my meader mod sale. Check sig, also have Toks - worn one week.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:04 AM
jjs

you have...

All's well.

BTW, check http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4 for my meader mod sale. Check sig, also have Toks - worn one week.
a PM.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:05 AM

Re: you have...

Originally posted by jjs

a PM.

You guys.