5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima recall - front suspension cracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 10:35 PM

2002 Maxima recall - front suspension cracking

New to the forum and enjoying my one month old Maxima, but I received a call from the dealer concerning a recall. Apparently there are some components in the front suspension that are being recalled for complete replacement due to stress cracking problems. Performed a quick scan of the forums but didn't locate any other correspondence about this. Wanted to get the word out so you can schedule a fix with your local dealer. My car will be in on 6/22 to be fixed, and I will post details of what is replaced.

On a slightly related topic, they refused to pay for a rental car however after escalating the issue to Nissan Consumer Affairs they kindly offered to pay for a one day rental car. Time's money and I can't afford to be without my wheels - the reason I bought it was to get some reliable transportation anyway!

Whilst Nissan is performing recall mailouts, my dealer was good enough to call me directly to schedule the repair. I suggest you do the same at your earliest convenience. Look forward to hearing any other feedback from others who may have further info on this topic.

Oh, and what's up with the hesitation upon acceleration???
Old 06-21-2002, 11:03 PM

I snapped one off March 1. A whopping 36 hours after driving it off the dealers lot. I went to the dealer by my work to get my recall work done and they told me it wasn't all that serious and to wait until I got the letter. Morons...

Stereodude
Old 06-22-2002, 08:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I bet this is why mine is poping/jerking when I hit the accelerator a little hard from zero. It feels like I have some slack in it somewhere.

No letter yet but I hope this will fix it.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:39 AM

Re: 2002 Maxima recall - front suspension cracking

Originally posted by Stang Guy
New to the forum and enjoying my one month old Maxima, but I received a call from the dealer concerning a recall. Apparently there are some components in the front suspension that are being recalled for complete replacement due to stress cracking problems. Performed a quick scan of the forums but didn't locate any other correspondence about this. Wanted to get the word out so you can schedule a fix with your local dealer. My car will be in on 6/22 to be fixed, and I will post details of what is replaced.

On a slightly related topic, they refused to pay for a rental car however after escalating the issue to Nissan Consumer Affairs they kindly offered to pay for a one day rental car. Time's money and I can't afford to be without my wheels - the reason I bought it was to get some reliable transportation anyway!

Whilst Nissan is performing recall mailouts, my dealer was good enough to call me directly to schedule the repair. I suggest you do the same at your earliest convenience. Look forward to hearing any other feedback from others who may have further info on this topic.

Oh, and what's up with the hesitation upon acceleration???

i believe the hesitation is due to the drive by wire throttle. Do a search, has been talked about before.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:22 AM

off-topic: i see you have a cl-s also stang guy.. how does that compare to the max?
Old 06-22-2002, 05:11 PM

yeah, my service engine light came on, so i went to the dealer to get it checked out, and their like.. by the way.. we need to do some recall work, i said ok. and it was the transerse link i think, what does that do? and how serious of a thing is it.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by slickrick
yeah, my service engine light came on, so i went to the dealer to get it checked out, and their like.. by the way.. we need to do some recall work, i said ok. and it was the transerse link i think, what does that do? and how serious of a thing is it.
It has the potential to be very serious. That's why I don't understand why nissan is treating it so casually. If the link breaks your wheel will be able to move forward and backwards in the wheelwell. If one breaks at highway speeds expect to lose control of the vehicle when the wheel jams, stops turning and you spin out of control.

I was lucky. Mine broke while breaking and the car was almost stopped when it snapped.

Stereodude
Old 06-23-2002, 09:03 AM

so how can i tell if they really foxed it, becasue on thursday im going on a 320 mile drive at about 80 mph, and if its not fixed and i get into an accident, and im still alive, lawsuit!
Old 06-23-2002, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by slickrick
so how can i tell if they really foxed it, becasue on thursday im going on a 320 mile drive at about 80 mph, and if its not fixed and i get into an accident, and im still alive, lawsuit!
I'm not sure that you can tell. They'd be sued for all their worth if they claimed to have repaired the car and didn't.

Stereodude
Old 06-23-2002, 12:19 PM

I got a call from the Nissan lady saying the parts are in for my recall fix. Couple weeks ago I was at the dealership getting my 12000 km tune up and they put something on the work order regarding the recall but no one explained that to me.

Now that I have FSTB on, do they need to take that off to get the fix done? What if it doesn't come off like some people said?
Old 06-23-2002, 12:50 PM

isnt fun trusting nissan with our lives?