5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Did anyone fix the rear deck rattle themself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 07:58 PM

Did anyone fix the rear deck rattle themself?

Hey .org,

Has anyone fixed the rear deck rattle themself? If so, can you tell whats steps are needed.

Nissan service wants to keep my car a day to fix this even though I can tell which seat belt holder is rattling. (yeah right)

I messed with it a bit and it looks like I have to remove the rear seat, to get at the plastic looking screws that hold the rear deck? ( located near top of back seats).

Do anyone know whats involved?

turbo dreams
woosh
Old 06-22-2002, 08:51 PM

Nissan Service actually said they would fix it? WOW. Mine said it's because the stereo is up too loud. I'm taking it to a different one on Wed. for the recall though. And I forgot to tell them that they are fixing the Hood Rattle, the Subwoofer Rattle, and the alignment. Oops! Hehe, 7:30 am dealing with BS makes me laugh.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:10 PM

Re: Did anyone fix the rear deck rattle themself?

Originally posted by woosh
Hey .org,

Has anyone fixed the rear deck rattle themself? If so, can you tell whats steps are needed.

Nissan service wants to keep my car a day to fix this even though I can tell which seat belt holder is rattling. (yeah right)

I messed with it a bit and it looks like I have to remove the rear seat, to get at the plastic looking screws that hold the rear deck? ( located near top of back seats).

Do anyone know whats involved?

turbo dreams
woosh
actually i saw the write up for the bose rattle fix on some guys homepage, but can't find it now. try a google search, or even an org search you should find it. It involves taking apart the casing for the sub and inserting pieces of felt attached with velco...seems lengthy, but it solved the porblem at a low cost. I know its there, but sorri i couldn't get the link for u.

Chung-Hsien
Old 06-22-2002, 10:11 PM

Actually that writeup, while intriguing, didn't do much for me. I instead placed weatherstripping between the back of the rear deck and the rear window, it tightened down the rear deck and got rid of some of it. Damn you Eminem! Besides his CDs it's pretty much all good now.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:33 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i've thought abotu trying to get it done adn it looks like you have to disassemble most of the rear deck and dynamatt between teh deck and the cloth stuff above it, thjat's where the rattle is coming from. i'm njust not that ambitious yet.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:56 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Mine was the center seat belt housing. I ripped it out completely.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:13 PM

i used dynamat on the bose cover grille and on the metal around the bose woofer. Then i bought a can of dynamat spray, covered the bose speaker and the rest of the rear deck with saran wrap, and carefully sprayed under the entire rear deck.

this helped a LOT
Old 06-23-2002, 04:40 PM

well well

i completely fixed ALL the rattling that my 2 12" jl audio 12w3's were making.........the deck makes NO noise...check out my homepage for pics of what i did...OR..since it's to much for me to type the instructions.....PM me...or call me 678-471-7999

this is info ALL should hear...i spent all summer trying to figure it out..i even outsmarted the guys at nissan and at my local stereo shop.....u wont believe what it takes to stop the RATTLE

albert
Old 06-23-2002, 05:24 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: well well

Originally posted by rob van dam
i completely fixed ALL the rattling that my 2 12" jl audio 12w3's were making.........the deck makes NO noise...check out my homepage for pics of what i did...OR..since it's to much for me to type the instructions.....PM me...or call me 678-471-7999

this is info ALL should hear...i spent all summer trying to figure it out..i even outsmarted the guys at nissan and at my local stereo shop.....u wont believe what it takes to stop the RATTLE

albert
tell me
Old 06-23-2002, 05:44 PM

I looked at your homepage, but the only thing I see that was remotely related was you went to an external speaker setup (speaker box). Is that what you mean by figuring out the rattle?
Old 06-23-2002, 05:48 PM
lcf

Re: well well

Originally posted by rob van dam

albert
why dont you just post how to do it here?!

it's on-topic.

Old 06-23-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
I looked at your homepage, but the only thing I see that was remotely related was you went to an external speaker setup (speaker box). Is that what you mean by figuring out the rattle?

read on my homepgae.....OK ill tell...my BOSE sub sucked!!!...and i think i blew it...so i removed....and added the 2 12w3's...the deck rattled like a biatch....i had a dynamat trunk kit installed.....i also had extreme dynamat installed under the rear deck in the trunk..i removed the rear deck and STUFFED it with extreme dynamat and dynamat foam...and other foamy stuff i got from a carpet store.....the seat belt holders also rattled..so i stuffed around them...i also put foam in between the rear glass and the deck....a lot of this IS on my homepage...you just have to strain your eyes and READ.....but it fixed it all...i also did lots of more stuff..but NOW...barely any rattle...its SOOOOOOOOOOO LOUD ..
Old 06-23-2002, 06:38 PM

Well, I must be really blind because I didn't see all of that. Thanks for the information, nonetheless.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:51 PM

I beg of you to change your background. I can't read anything. Pastels please!
Old 06-23-2002, 07:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No more rattle

I have no more rattle... I had posted this on another thread.

i have 2 - 12" aluminums in the trunk that hit pretty hard. First I would see if it's coming from the spot where the rear decklid meets the rear window. Turn up a song with bass and then stick you fingers between the window and the ****lid and see if the rattle goes away. If not what I did was

1. fold down the rear seats
2. pop off all the plastic push in holders along the black plastic trim.
3. Remove those and set aside
4. The rear decklid also has those pop in holders, so it pops up.
5. I dynamated everything except the holes where the pop in holders go
6. I put everything back together.
7. When everything is back together, keep the rear seats down
8. Have someone push DOWN the rear decklid so you can see where the pop in holders come down on the underside.
9. Put in a small screw horizontally thru the end of the pin. like this... the screw is the little line i drew and the V is the pop in holder -V like that.
This will hold it down, and will not let the pin pop up.
10. On my car most of the rattle came from the rear decklid hitting against the rear window. If this is the case, Buy thick weather stripping.
11. Apply weatherstripping at the point where the rear decklid and the window meet. Apply a long strip, from corner to corner. Squeeze it in there.
12. If rear light rattles, apply stripping between glass and 3rd light.
13. If the third light still rattles, you might want to remove the light. Nissan sells a cover that goes where the 3rd light would go. I think it costs $19.
13. Let us know how it went.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:12 PM

gonna re-match but ...

Wanna make sure of somethings. I don't have to remove the rear seat right?

I previously removed the 6 pop-ins and then met the other set that held the rear deck. This is where I aborted. Are you saying if I remove those plastic looking screws the rear deck will then be removeable?

One of the reasons I stopped was the corner sides of the rear seat that don't fold down. I couldn't see how to get the deck off with the corner pieces of the seat still there.

I will re-match one evening this week or the weekend and give you guys feedback.

thanx
woosh
Old 06-23-2002, 09:36 PM

Re: gonna re-match but ...

Wanna make sure of somethings. I don't have to remove the rear seat right?

I previously removed the 6 pop-ins and then met the other set that held the rear deck. This is where I aborted. Are you saying if I remove those plastic looking screws the rear deck will then be removeable?

One of the reasons I stopped was the corner sides of the rear seat that don't fold down. I couldn't see how to get the deck off with the corner pieces of the seat still there.

thanx
woosh
1. Yes it will be removeable, but to remove it you need to remove the rear pillars
2. You need to remove the bottoms of the seats only. Once you do that there will be some screws visible that hold those side pieces there. Unscrew them, and slide the piece upward to remove.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:33 AM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Re: gonna re-match but ...

Originally posted by cwally

1. Yes it will be removeable, but to remove it you need to remove the rear pillars
2. You need to remove the bottoms of the seats only. Once you do that there will be some screws visible that hold those side pieces there. Unscrew them, and slide the piece upward to remove.
i used the PEEL AND SEAL stuff from lowes. it has helped a lot, but the deck lid still rattles. i will use your instructions and see if that helps,,,,btw have i mentioned that i loom your wheels
Old 06-24-2002, 07:05 AM

Re: Re: gonna re-match but ...

Originally posted by cwally

Hey cwally,

This is what I was kinda afraid of. Would it be possible to tell me which srews/bolts exactly, I have to remove for the bottom of the seats?

Thanks
woosh
Old 06-24-2002, 07:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: gonna re-match but ...

Hey cwally,

This is what I was kinda afraid of. Would it be possible to tell me which srews/bolts exactly, I have to remove for the bottom of the seats?

Thanks
woosh
_/
Its the easiest thing. There is -> / the seat.On the part where the carpet meets the part of the seat that goes right under your knees, there is a little mechanism that you pull and it releases the bottom part of the seat. It just slides out. That is it. i have a 2000 GXE. It could not be easier. Let me know if you have any other questions. Oh yeah and also once you silde the bottom of the seat out, you will see just 2 screws, one on each side that hold the side pieces there. Easy stuff.