5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gardena Visit Re: Paint Chips

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:33 PM

Gardena Visit Re: Paint Chips

I have a new idea about the paint chips. Here goes nuthin':

I live in Los Angeles, and I know a bunch of other .org members do as well. Since Nissan North America is headquartered in Gardena (still I hope), would it not help to gather all the information together and bring it in to them somehow, i.e. meeting of some sort? I am a teacher, and therefore have NO work during the summer (hehe). I would be more than willing to create a database of names, information, and chip info using the data from the nissanpaint.com webpage, the threads posted on here, ect. I think it would be most effective to add in pictures of the paint chips on our 5th gens as well. What do you all think? I'd love to get some info on this.

Neal
Old 06-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Gardena Visit Re: Paint Chips

Originally posted by Neal728
I have a new idea about the paint chips. Here goes nuthin':

I live in Los Angeles, and I know a bunch of other .org members do as well. Since Nissan North America is headquartered in Gardena (still I hope), would it not help to gather all the information together and bring it in to them somehow, i.e. meeting of some sort? I am a teacher, and therefore have NO work during the summer (hehe). I would be more than willing to create a database of names, information, and chip info using the data from the nissanpaint.com webpage, the threads posted on here, ect. I think it would be most effective to add in pictures of the paint chips on our 5th gens as well. What do you all think? I'd love to get some info on this.

Neal
I am the member who, originally, created nissanpaint.com. I want to make it clear that, despite six months of perfect operation (there was downtime and some issues at some point), less than 100 people actually registered a complaint on that site. 100 owners with paint issues hardly suggests a trend in bad paint for Nissan...at least, that is what we should expect them to say.

There have been, at least, a few members who have done exactly what you are talking about doing over the past couple of years of talking about this. Please note that the first post in the thread that somebody brought to the top recently...the long one with hundreds of replies...was started in MARCH OF 2001. I am not going to discourage it, but everybody should be aware that this has been done before and the closer we get to the close of the 5th Generation life-span...coming quick...the less Nissan is going to care about this issue.

Additionally, it will be hard to use any of the 2000 or 2001 owners data in your attempts, since we have mostly had our cars long enough that our own driving habits could cause excessive paint wear and Nissan would likely discount our complaints as a result. Additionally, you are going to need an awful lot of data to prove the paint damage is a trend as opposed to a rare occurrance. Even all 5th generation owners on Maxima.org don't represent an enormous percentage of all 5th Generation owners nationwide.

Good luck and sorry about the cynicism!
Old 06-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Very sound, Mike

Sounds like a good idea, i've got a bunch of photo's i can send your way
Old 06-25-2002, 02:49 PM

MichaelAE, I understand the cynicism completely. I'm just bored, and spending 5 years in NYC, have learned how to get things done. I'm not saying I can accomplish anything, but it's always fun to be the a&&hole and try right? Soundmike, if I can get a bunch of people in on it I'll post my info such as e-mail, address, ect. Maybe the 2002 guys can get something together, I have 2 chips and it's a month old!
Old 06-25-2002, 02:52 PM

MichaelAE, I understand the cynicism completely. I'm just bored, and spending 5 years in NYC, have learned how to get things done. I'm not saying I can accomplish anything, but it's always fun to be the a&&hole and try right? Soundmike, if I can get a bunch of people in on it I'll post my info such as e-mail, address, ect. Maybe the 2002 guys can get something together, I have 2 chips and it's a month old!
Well, I spent over 20 years in Washington, D.C. so I am quite good at wasting a lot of time and money and not accomplishing anything.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:55 PM

ROFL. I did my Junior internship there. I know what you mean. Watching CSPan2 makes me laugh. Not that I'm a politics junkie. Well I am. Sue me. Maybe you'll get your money, either way it won't happen for 5-7 years!
Old 06-25-2002, 03:24 PM

i'm in
Old 06-25-2002, 04:10 PM

chips

I had my 2002 max for 6 months now and I have a handful of chips on the hood.
I think the best way to handle this is to email everyone whos a member of Maxima.org and ask them if they have any chips and to send any info (pics, theories, length of time they had car , etc)

half of the people aren't ever gonna read this thread so you have to go to them, email them twice if you have to. People are generally lazy and don't want to bother if complaining is a hassle, if we make it easy then we'll have everyones cooperation.

Just an idea, I could be wrong
Old 06-25-2002, 04:46 PM

I don't think there's any way to send out a mass e-mail like that.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:37 PM

I don't think there's any way to send out a mass e-mail like that.
I would probably be pretty ****ed off unless it was Jamie who sent out the email. He should not be sending any of our email addresses to anybody else.

In response to Horsepower, we made it pretty easy for everybody. Gave them a web page to go to and enter their personal information...took all of 5 minutes to explain their paint chip experience. Despite having hundreds of replies to the thread, hardly anybody actually filed a complaint. The problem wasn't in getting people to read the thread...everybody reads the thread and replies about how bad Nissan paint is. Hell, the thread that just came to the surface has about 15,000 views. It is about getting them to actually take action or to trust one member with their personal information.