5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

First oil change, a success

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 09:14 AM

First oil change, a success

I went ahead and did the first oil change on "Maxie" this weekend. She only had 1,427 miles on her...but she was built back in December of last year and I had purchased her the end of March. Even though the oil looked pretty clean...I didn't like the idea of 7 month oil sitting in the block.
After warming up the engine (drove around for about 15 minutes), I simply drove the front end up on two 2"x10" wooden ramps. I had to loosen the oil filter with oil filter pliers (the persuader) and then I removed the drain plug. Both the plug and oil filter must have been put on by a gorilla at the factory. I let her drain for a full 15 minutes...replaced the plug with a new copper washer, replaced the oil filter, cleaned up a little oil that dripped from the filter onto the underside splash guard,filled her up with 4.25 quarts of oil and started her up. (Before putting in the new oil, I measured the oil that I drained out...it was a little over 4.25 quarts of oil).
I checked the dipstick the morning after and she read exactly the same way she did with the factory oil in it.
It always a good feeling to do your own oil changes if you can (knowing that you did it right, put in the right amount and did a proper clean up).
Old 07-02-2002, 12:42 AM

Re: First oil change, a success

Good work! But, check the oil again today & make sure you do not need to add some more. Remember, your oil filter also retains some of the oil. What kind of oil & filter did you use, BTW?...

G
Old 07-02-2002, 01:10 AM

Good job! Yeah, changing the oil on the Maxima is really pretty easy. Just take your time and there's very little mess.

I'm probably going to trade in my '93 Civic for a Kia Sedona minivan this weekend. I wonder if I'll be able to change the oil myself on that 4700LBS monster!
Old 07-02-2002, 02:55 AM

2"x10" wooden ramps

You can probably get up under there without raising the vehicle at all if your car has not been lowered.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:38 AM

02 Maxima_GLE, I used the Nissan Filter (picked it up from the dealer) and 5W-30 Pennzoil which I use in all my other vehicles (witht the exception of the Vette which comes from the factory with Mobil 1). I checked the level again today as you suggested and she's seems to be fine.

mdeal, having that extra lift (about 4") gave me the extra room I needed to use the oil filter pliers. The oil filter removal is a bit tricky since you have to move that darn splash shield out of the way. Nissan did not make that part of the oil changing procedure easy.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:51 AM
lcf

so Mark S., how are you liking the maxima? i remember a few months ago you weren't too happy about the off-centered steering wheel/column and the crooked badges. how's everything now?

Old 07-02-2002, 08:59 AM

lcf, I really enjoy it, when I get a chance to drive it. I'm having the wife use it for work and now I drive her 'Stang. This way I will keep the mileage low and avoid chips, etc., from the highway monsters.
The rear emblem is now perfect (after replacing it myself). I did get a small scratch on the steering wheel airbag cover, which was caused by my wife's keys. The dealer recommended a guy who repairs vinyl, etc. He did a superb job in repairing the scratch.
So far, she's running like a top. I'm very pleased with the performance, ride, etc.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:03 AM

check your filter #

i recently changed my own too. the oil filter was on too tight. had to use oil wrench. be careful when you get the filters from nissan. the one they gave me was not as long as the one i took off. the parts dept just pull up a stock # and give it to you. but you can get the correct stock # from the service dept. the smaller filter still fits, but i want the larger one. i will try to post the stock #'s when i get home. this is for a 5th gen 2k1.

that dipstick is a bi**h to read. i switched to mobil one when i did the change and you have to wait forever to get a correct reading. i could only get 4 qts in mine. i know it is suppose to take 4.25. i had it on a lift,so i know i got all the oil out. maybe it was the smaller filter

i will find out next oil change.

p.s. why would you use pizzzoil????
later,
kj
Old 07-02-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: check your filter #

kj, I checked the oil filter the dealer gave me with the factory one I removed. The factory one was -6501 and the one I replaced it with was a -6500 (if my memory serves me right, I'm at work. I had called the dealership back and they said that the 6500 was fine. The 6501 is obviously an updated version. It looked identical in appearance and size (small size) to the one the factory installed.

I have always had good luck with Pennzoil in all my cars...just a habit, I guess. Like I said ealier, my '01 Vette (and my previous '94 Vette) came with Mobil 1 from the factory and I change the oil about every six months, even though I only put on about 3.5 miles a year on her. But, for my other cars, Pennzoil seems to stay cleaner longer than just about any other brand I've used.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:14 PM

mark-
yeah those numbers sound familar. they did look alike just one was about an inch longer. i have to check my receipt for the oil change ,it has the stock number on it and it was different than the one parts sold me.

is that 3.5 miles or 3,500 a year???
if it is 3.5 miles a years, where did you go ?? -

just curious, why don't you use mobil 1 in the max? you weren't happy with it in the vette???

kj
Old 07-02-2002, 12:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: check your filter #

Originally posted by Mark S.
... even though I only put on about 3.5 miles a year on her. ....
3.5 miles a year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can I prebuy that car for say after 10 yrs depreciation?
A vette with 35 miles -- sweet! LOL

Really, glad you had no issues on the oil change. Just bustin your chops...

Sounds like you have a nice set of cars.

Shaydz
Old 07-03-2002, 04:46 AM

kj, my error...I forgot to put the "K" behind the 3.5. Yes, 3,500 miles a year. I just drive it for pleasure...kinda silly, a real "garage queen," never sees rain...but common among a lot of Vette owners.
I may switch over to Mobil 1 later on, but for now I'll stick with organic oil.
---------------------------------------------
Shadyz, thanks for the compliment!
Old 07-03-2002, 04:53 AM

if i had a vette?

i would be buying tires every 3.5 miles!!!!