5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

KYB AGX 5th Generation- over a year away

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 09:14 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

KYB AGX 5th Generation- over a year away

This is from an e-mail from KYB tech support.

"Catalog will be out in March 2003 but product probably will not be available until Late Summer 2003".

I was relatively optimistic when I heard that they would be available in the 2K3 catalog, but the product won't be available until late summer!!!

I am going to have to buy the damn Tokicos because you can't have the modified 4th gen AGX's with Eibach. Arrrrggghh!
Old 07-01-2002, 10:37 AM

Weren't they supposed to be out this summer? Isn't Tokico coming out with adjustable struts soon?
Old 07-01-2002, 10:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Weren't they supposed to be out this summer? Isn't Tokico coming out with adjustable struts soon?
Somebody should contact Tokico and find out when they will make Lumina's (Tokico adjustables) for the Max. I think somebody contacted them way back when and got the same story that KYB was reading.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:49 AM

Re: KYB AGX 5th Generation- over a year away

Originally posted by asu174

"Catalog will be out in March 2003 but product probably will not be available until Late Summer 2003".

I was relatively optimistic when I heard that they would be available in the 2K3 catalog, but the product won't be available until late summer!!!

I am going to have to buy the damn Tokicos because you can't have the modified 4th gen AGX's with Eibach. Arrrrggghh!
i have noticed on here that Progress and H & R springs work well with the modded AGX. I had problems using my Eibachs on AGX, but i'm having ideas about getting the correct springs for it. I sold my AGX, but i don't mind buying it again to use Progress or H & R with AGX. Also i think you can keep your front eibach and buy the 4th gen rear eibach to work with the AGX...i kno the damnn 5th gen one is 1 yr away ...that's so long....i gotta do something to my car soon. i hate my tokicos i have on now, they are too soft ...
Old 07-02-2002, 08:01 AM

Re: Re: KYB AGX 5th Generation- over a year away

Originally posted by Deven2kStickMax

i have noticed on here that Progress and H & R springs work well with the modded AGX. I had problems using my Eibachs on AGX, but i'm having ideas about getting the correct springs for it. I sold my AGX, but i don't mind buying it again to use Progress or H & R with AGX. Also i think you can keep your front eibach and buy the 4th gen rear eibach to work with the AGX...i kno the damnn 5th gen one is 1 yr away ...that's so long....i gotta do something to my car soon. i hate my tokicos i have on now, they are too soft ...
I am really confused right now. Tokicos are soft? Like they soften the ride? Do they bottom out? I need struts all the way around. I have Eibachs. I would rather not have to modify anything. What should I get? I don't mind a "soft" ride because the Ground Controls are harsh as hell.

BTW- I can't send you a PM because I
Old 07-02-2002, 08:14 AM

The Progress and H&R work well because even though people put them on 5th gens, they're really 4th gen springs and the KYB AGX are designed for that.

In March/April this year I had been in contact with Tokico about 5th gen Illuminas. They told me they were almost done, but they meant for 4th gens. 5th gens could be late this year.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: KYB AGX 5th Generation- over a year away

I am really confused right now. Tokicos are soft? Like they soften the ride? Do they bottom out? I need struts all the way around. I have Eibachs. I would rather not have to modify anything. What should I get? I don't mind a "soft" ride because the Ground Controls are harsh as hell.

BTW- I can't send you a PM because I
yeah they are soft and takes time to adapt the road. no they would not bottom out that easy, but the lower you go, this might not be the best shocks for GC. You need better shocks like Konis or AGX if i'm not wrong... do a search someone had toks on and after one year then they worked for him...i noticed the same here...they perform better when they are older than new...when new they ride soft .. aslo my brother just got a new set of Tokicos for his 90 maxima with Eibachs that he had on years now with KYB GR2's. The GR2's bottom out so he replaced them with tokicos..now he belives me when i told him that tokicos are not the best. the GR2's he had on in the past rides WAY WAY WAY better, but i guess he is stuck with it now until they die out..
Old 07-02-2002, 08:37 AM

The Maxima gets snubbed once again.

I betcha the Altima (and that other new car from Nissan who's name cannot be mentioned on this board per the moderator) will get this stuff before the so-called "flagship" car does.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Mystical2k2SE

I betcha the Altima (and that other new car from Nissan who's name cannot be mentioned on this board per the moderator) will get this stuff before the so-called "flagship" car does.

what are you talking about?
Old 07-02-2002, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Mystical2k2SE

I offered to put together a group buy of 10 units if they can speed things up a bit and this was the response...

"Thanx for the offer, but I am afraid we cannot accomodate this. There is no way to expedite development and release of these designs. They are scheduled already. Also, KYB does not accept group purchases."

I'm going to a suspension shop today. Hopefully they will have some ideas for me.....
Old 07-02-2002, 08:53 AM

I offered to put together a group buy of 10 units if they can speed things up a bit and this was the response...

"Thanx for the offer, but I am afraid we cannot accomodate this. There is no way to expedite development and release of these designs. They are scheduled already. Also, KYB does not accept group purchases."

I'm going to a suspension shop today. Hopefully they will have some ideas for me.....
i wish they can do that...good try
Old 07-02-2002, 09:42 AM

what are you talking about?
I'm talking about the new board policy which prohibits discussion about the 350Z or G35. Read the stickies.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: KYB AGX 5th Generation- over a year away

That does suck poop, shows how much some of these suspension companies feel about our Max being a performance vehicle...
I have rear 4th gen AGX's with Eibach and have no problems, no noise, no vibration, no nothing. The spring perch OD is not optimized to allow the Eibach spring to sit ideally, but both springs sit in the same location and no matter the bump or pothole I have not have any issues whatsoever. Got Tokico Blues up front...better than stock by far. I just adjusted the rears to match the front rate by road feel and I'm a very, very happy camper.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

That does suck poop, shows how much some of these suspension companies feel about our Max being a performance vehicle...
I have rear 4th gen AGX's with Eibach and have no problems, no noise, no vibration, no nothing. The spring perch OD is not optimized to allow the Eibach spring to sit ideally, but both springs sit in the same location and no matter the bump or pothole I have not have any issues whatsoever. Got Tokico Blues up front...better than stock by far. I just adjusted the rears to match the front rate by road feel and I'm a very, very happy camper.
Did you have to modify the rears at all?
Old 07-02-2002, 10:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: KYB AGX 5th Generation- over a year away

Did you have to modify the rears at all?
Not one ounce my friend....I'm perplexed as to why you'd need to. I just removed the original Toks, compressed the spring to remove the upper perch, pull the crap off, put the still compressed spring onto the AGX and put the dust boot, bumpstop, upper perch on and tighten nut then reinstall. Set to 3 and I'm rollin like a ****! Not a peep out of them...of course the front Toks were a direct replacement too.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:34 AM
I miss the .org!

No complete set of adjustable shocks for another year? That blows.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: KYB AGX 5th Generation- over a year away

Not one ounce my friend....I'm perplexed as to why you'd need to. I just removed the original Toks, compressed the spring to remove the upper perch, pull the crap off, put the still compressed spring onto the AGX and put the dust boot, bumpstop, upper perch on and tighten nut then reinstall. Set to 3 and I'm rollin like a ****! Not a peep out of them...of course the front Toks were a direct replacement too.
I want to roll like a **** too! I am going to get that setup then. Sold!
Old 07-02-2002, 03:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: KYB AGX 5th Generation- over a year away

see you had to compressed your spring for it to see onto the shock seat. for me, mine would not go down. cattman had told me that the weight of the car will push it down, which never happened. i ran into wheel alignment problems and i took it out and back to tokicos and eibachs..compressing is a good idea, but i didn't know better at the time. i learn more as people speak out...thanks
Old 07-02-2002, 04:29 PM

that's it....I am going to get koni.....damned...520 for 4!
Old 07-02-2002, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
that's it....I am going to get koni.....damned...520 for 4!
But you'll have to modify the Konis......right?
Old 07-02-2002, 05:01 PM

But you'll have to modify the Konis......right?
yes..... but I found someone who will mod it for me.