5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fresh Alloy reports 290 hp out of VQ35

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 07:57 PM

Re: Official 350Z specs and Gear Ratio

Originally posted by Amazing2
2003 Maxima
HP: 255 @ 5,800 RPM
TQ: 246 @ 4,400 RPM
Comp. ratio: 10.3

2003 350Z
HP: 287 @ 6,200 RPM
TQ: 274 @ 4,800 RPM
Comp. ratio: 10.3

Well one source of extra HP is a higher RPM. More RPM's more HP for a given engine. Bring on the ECU!
Old 07-03-2002, 08:54 PM
VQ Wizard

I have been wondering if the cams on the 350Z would be different. DAVEB claims they are the same part numbers which means they probably have the same specs. Everyone of us that has done dyno testing on the VQ35 has seen what a huge difference the CAIs make over the stock airbox. I think Emax got his to peak out at 6200+ rpm. So we've already proved that the VQ35's we have are basically starving for air. I believe we could actually meet or exceed the hp output of the 350Z by way of a custom upper intake plenum. The only thing I think we could stand to gain from an ECU upgrade would perhaps be more optimised ignition timing and intake cam timing. But thats pure speculation and I don't think any of us have the resources to prove it.

I havent announced this to anyone but Ethan, but I have had a project on the back burner for a couple of months now. The problem is I keep running into other projects to do in the mean time such as the nitrous install I finally finished. Anyways, I have been looking around to gather up parts to fabricate a custom intake manifold for the VQ35DE. Initially my goal is to ring out as much hp as I possibly can. That will be prototype #1. If I can do this and be successful at it I may look into making a SHO or Honda VTEC style intake manifold so we could still retain our stump pulling torque on the low end.
Now if I manage to pull this off I would like to know what kind of interest is out there for a product of this nature. It would be very easy to install but probably frowned upon by your service department. The only other drawback I can see would be the cost. I guesstimate it could be anywhere from $300 to $600. Please note that I am not making any promises at all, especially on hp or cost. Obviously it would have to turn out relativly good on both points to make it worth my time and or your money.
So thats about it. I have looked over this thing time and time again and even taken the entire manifold apart a couple of times to study it. I really would love to get a set of cams made for this engine but the labor involved for a VQ cam swap could get pretty intense. I belive the plenum could very well turn out to be the best bolt on possible.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SR20DEN
I have been wondering if the cams on the 350Z would be different. DAVEB claims they are the same part numbers which means they probably have the same specs. Everyone of us that has done dyno testing on the VQ35 has seen what a huge difference the CAIs make over the stock airbox. I think Emax got his to peak out at 6200+ rpm. So we've already proved that the VQ35's we have are basically starving for air. I believe we could actually meet or exceed the hp output of the 350Z by way of a custom upper intake plenum. The only thing I think we could stand to gain from an ECU upgrade would perhaps be more optimised ignition timing and intake cam timing. But thats pure speculation and I don't think any of us have the resources to prove it.

I havent announced this to anyone but Ethan, but I have had a project on the back burner for a couple of months now. The problem is I keep running into other projects to do in the mean time such as the nitrous install I finally finished. Anyways, I have been looking around to gather up parts to fabricate a custom intake manifold for the VQ35DE. Initially my goal is to ring out as much hp as I possibly can. That will be prototype #1. If I can do this and be successful at it I may look into making a SHO or Honda VTEC style intake manifold so we could still retain our stump pulling torque on the low end.
Now if I manage to pull this off I would like to know what kind of interest is out there for a product of this nature. It would be very easy to install but probably frowned upon by your service department. The only other drawback I can see would be the cost. I guesstimate it could be anywhere from $300 to $600. Please note that I am not making any promises at all, especially on hp or cost. Obviously it would have to turn out relativly good on both points to make it worth my time and or your money.
So thats about it. I have looked over this thing time and time again and even taken the entire manifold apart a couple of times to study it. I really would love to get a set of cams made for this engine but the labor involved for a VQ cam swap could get pretty intense. I belive the plenum could very well turn out to be the best bolt on possible.
You know what I think, make it!
Old 07-03-2002, 09:18 PM

http://www.rag*******/public/350Z.wmv

quote from edmund's review
"including redesigned intake ports, increased valve lift and a 10.3:1 compression ratio. These changes allow the engine to make 287 horsepower at 6,200 rpm and 274 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm."
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...6/article.html
Old 07-03-2002, 09:32 PM

After my warantee expeires i'll go ballistic with ya!..LOL
Old 07-03-2002, 10:02 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by emax95
If SR20DET is correct and our ECU is infact retarding the timing by 5 degrees this is where the 350Z could be shining. I am convinced our ECU's are terrible, at about 5800 RPM the motor runs extremly rich. If the timing was bumped up 5 degrees and the air/fuel mixture was leaned out we would have a lot more top end probably!

I wonder if the 350Z has a larger throttle body we could use on the max?
Ive thought of that many times. A larger throttle body , with any aftermarket intake, and " Honing " the intake would very likely produce a boost of 20-30 HP, at least.. I " HONED" my GT40 Intake in my Stang, and went to an 80mm Throtle body, it made a heck of a diffrence. As far as playing with the ECU, that is the magic key, that we need to unlock 13's on a 2K2 with no JUICE of SC !
Old 07-03-2002, 11:00 PM

The injectors on the 350Z make a big difference

they aren't the same ones as the 2k2 max has, so is there a way to put the 350Z injectors on a 2k2 max?
Old 07-03-2002, 11:02 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

How many pounds are the injectors on the Max vs the 350... Injectors wont make a huge diffrence unless you are SAUCED, or BLOWN. At least in my V8 experience.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:11 AM

Yeah, as long as the injectors are providing enough fuel to keep the engine stoichiometric, larger injectors won't do much. When you're blowing or spraying, you are putting more oxygen into the cylinder which can make the engine run lean if your injectors aren't up to the task.

Originally posted by kloogy
How many pounds are the injectors on the Max vs the 350... Injectors wont make a huge diffrence unless you are SAUCED, or BLOWN. At least in my V8 experience.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:22 AM

Re: Re: Official 350Z specs and Gear Ratio

Its doubtful the extra horses are due to RPM because the HP peak in the Z is at 6200 rpm, which is less than the current redline on the Maxima.

I'm certainly no expert, but the shifted power peak would seem to indicate that they've reduced the pumping loses, i.e.: better intake and exhaust. This would allow the VQ35 to breather better at the higher RPMS. We've all seen how the curve on the Max VQ35 drops away after 5500 rpm.

Couple this choking with ECU restrictions and I think 30 hp is not out of the question.

This has been a really interesting thread. I would easily pop $1000 to get an extra 30 horses.

Originally posted by theMax

Well one source of extra HP is a higher RPM. More RPM's more HP for a given engine. Bring on the ECU!
Old 07-04-2002, 07:57 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by 2001SE
The injectors on the 350Z make a big difference

they aren't the same ones as the 2k2 max has, so is there a way to put the 350Z injectors on a 2k2 max?
The only reason the 350Z would have higher flow injectors is to supplement extra ariflow into the engine and keep the injector duty cycle at a low number. I would speculate that the injectors we have now are good to 330 to 400hp at 80% duty cycle. They are virtually the same type of injectors you will find in a LS1 Corvette, Z28 or Firebird.

I find LS1 injectors on Ebay all the time. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1841017117

I would assume the injectors we have are meet or exceed the flow of these 26.4 pounders. But the only way we'll know for sure is if someone sends theirs off to get flowed. But at this point there isn't much reason to do that since no one is making 300hp in NA form.

Just found this also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1841460832
These are even the same color as what we have.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:56 AM

Actually....I don't think that the manifold is the main restriction in the intake path right now. It's already a dual runner design. I'm assuming that when nissan put the extra .5 litres in the VQ...they didn't change the heads much...therefore a BIG topend restriction....I could be wrong.....who knows....
Old 07-04-2002, 09:07 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Actually....I don't think that the manifold is the main restriction in the intake path right now. It's already a dual runner design. I'm assuming that when nissan put the extra .5 litres in the VQ...they didn't change the heads much...therefore a BIG topend restriction....I could be wrong.....who knows....
But it's not a true dual runner design. Take one apart and look at it for yourself. I guess we could call it a divided/undivided design. It's pretty weird and upon inspection you'll wonder how the thing works at all.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:16 AM

But it's not a true dual runner design. Take one apart and look at it for yourself. I guess we could call it a divided/undivided design. It's pretty weird and upon inspection you'll wonder how the thing works at all.
ok...that makes A LOT more sense...I was under the impression that the 3.5VQs "variable intake" worked the same way as the 00-01 30VQ's variable intake.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:24 AM

I wonder if a 2001 Viriable intake would help us? It may be a straight bolt on?
Old 07-04-2002, 10:30 AM

extra hp could come from the fact thatthe max and altima only have CVTC on the intake cam and the 350 has it on the intake and exhaust cam. as posted before the max/altima/350 have the same part# on the camshafts themselves. they gotta have a more aggressive ecu program and better intake and exhaust flow in the manifolds.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:08 AM

Re: Re: ....

And the Caddy weighs about 900 pounds more too.
Originally posted by RastaManMax

Yeah, but they're still geared for fogies anyways...
Old 07-04-2002, 11:13 AM

Which Pathfinder 3.5 has 210 HP? I thought it started out with 240 HP. Maybe you are thinking of the Xterra 3.3 supercharged engine.

Originally posted by Matthew

how can the pathfinder get 210hp and the Altima get 240hp and the Max 255hp G35 260hp 350Z 290hp all from the same engine?
Old 07-04-2002, 11:18 AM

Hey paul havent seen you around in a long time.

Matthew, pathfinder has 240, altima has 240, maxima has 255, (but altima/maxima dyno around the same hp), g35 probally a little work, and if you have been reading this thread, 350z has a few different parts here and there.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:23 AM

I lurk almost every day and post occasionally. Emax linked this thread on the Altima forum. This forum has some good info.

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Hey paul havent seen you around in a long time.

Matthew, pathfinder has 240, altima has 240, maxima has 255, (but altima/maxima dyno around the same hp), g35 probally a little work, and if you have been reading this thread, 350z has a few different parts here and there.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:24 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by DAREN
extra hp could come from the fact thatthe max and altima only have CVTC on the intake cam and the 350 has it on the intake and exhaust cam. as posted before the max/altima/350 have the same part# on the camshafts themselves. they gotta have a more aggressive ecu program and better intake and exhaust flow in the manifolds.
According to this photo, the 350Zs VQ35DE has the same cam setup as ours. This can lead to one of two conclusions.
1.) The 350Z only has a varible intake cam just like all the other VQ35DEs.

2.) The CVTC on the intake cam actually controls both the intake and exhaust cams. You can see the exhaust cam is driven off the intake cam. It is possible that both cams change retard or advance timing but never change in separation angles.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:28 AM

I don't understand how that photo proves anything...
Old 07-04-2002, 11:33 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
I don't understand how that photo proves anything...
Notice there is NO CVTC device on the exhaust cams. But there is only one on the intake cams. That is not any different than ALL other VQ35DEs
Old 07-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is pretty funny

THe Alty 3.5 Owners like myself were trying to figure out how the Max has 15 more HP then us.. we could never conclude with the exception that you have a freer flowing exhaust.. and now you Max Owners are trying to figure out how the 350Z has 30+ more HP then you. Gotta love Nissan.. Keep at it Max boys.. I'm sure you'll figure something out, and us Alty's will take it to the bank as well We just recently had one of our 3.5 Alty's dynoed, 230 HP with 240 TQ and that was with an upgraded exhaust, lightened pulley and a pop charger.. That's impressive. Now god forbid we could unlock the secrets of our ECU..

Here's the link to the dyno

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthr...highlight=dyno
Old 07-04-2002, 11:36 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: This is pretty funny

Originally posted by scottlny
THe Alty 3.5 Owners like myself were trying to figure out how the Max has 15 more HP then us.. we could never conclude with the exception that you have a freer flowing exhaust.. and now you Max Owners are trying to figure out how the 350Z has 30+ more HP then you. Gotta love Nissan.. Keep at it Max boys.. I'm sure you'll figure something out, and us Alty's will take it to the bank as well We just recently had one of our 3.5 Alty's dynoed, 230 HP with 240 TQ and that was with an upgraded exhaust, lightened pulley and a pop charger.. That's impressive. Now god forbid we could unlock the secrets of our ECU..

Here's the link to the dyno

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthr...highlight=dyno
The truth as I beleive it is that there is no hp difference between the Altima and Maxima. The Maxima VQ is listed as having 10.3:1 CR and the Altima is listed as having 10.0:1 . This data conflicts with the exact same compression pressures listed on both engines. I seriously doubt there is any diference other than our gimmick muffler.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:36 AM

I thought the Car and Driver article specifically said the camshafts were "hotter" compared to the Maxima. Meaning increased lift and/or duration. With that much more horespower its got to be.

Jesse
Old 07-04-2002, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: This is pretty funny

I seriously doubt there is any diference other than our gimmick muffler.
Yeah. It sure is a good thing Nissan decided not to use that POS muffler on the Skyline and the 350Z, huh?

PS: For those who don't know, the "gimmick" muffler SR20DEN is referring to is based on a Skyline design. It's also the muffler design used on the 350Z. Officially, Nissan refers to the design as "variable-capacity". It's won industry awards for its ability to provide both high performance and low noise. And it's precisely for those reasons why it's the only thing rear of the manifolds that's still stock on my exhaust system.
Old 07-04-2002, 12:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: This is pretty funny

Originally posted by y2kse

Yeah. It sure is a good thing Nissan decided not to use that POS muffler on the Skyline and the 350Z, huh?

PS: For those who don't know, the "gimmick" muffler SR20DEN is referring to is based on a Skyline design. It's also the muffler design used on the 350Z. Officially, Nissan refers to the design as "variable-capacity". It's won industry awards for its ability to provide both high performance and low noise. And it's precisely for those reasons why it's the only thing rear of the manifolds that's still stock on my exhaust system.
The 5th gen muffler is a gimmick. 4th gens only pick up about a HP from it.
Old 07-04-2002, 02:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is pretty funny

I would like to see the before and after dyno's overlayed. Has anyone done that?

Old 07-04-2002, 02:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is pretty funny

A muffler change alone is usually good for 2 to 3 hp max. (Keep in mind that a pre-production HKS catback on a 2K Maxima was only good for +5 hp.) Show me another muffler as quiet as the OEM 5th Gen muffler that increases hp AT ALL and I'll be impressed.

The point is, you can buy a higher performing muffler than the OEM 5th Gen muffler, but you can't buy a higher performing muffler that's as QUIET as a 5th Gen muffler. And by the time you add a Y-pipe and 2.5" piping, don't be surprised if a quiet muffler is precisely what you'll be looking for. BTW, that's why I sold my Magnaflow muffler and reinstalled my OEM rear section. Not having to listen to my exhaust system droooooooooooone all day long was worth a hp or two to me.
Old 07-04-2002, 04:45 PM

Didn't you guys find the little switch under the dash? Position #1(factory) is good horsepower. #2 you feel the extra power, #3 wow time for some new tires. I bet the "Z" is factory set at position #3. It's easy to find just look under the steering wheel up into the dash. I bet Nissan thought no one would find it.

Happy July 4th.

Oh I thought it was April 1st.
Old 07-04-2002, 04:53 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by adaptabl
Didn't you guys find the little switch under the dash? Position #1(factory) is good horsepower. #2 you feel the extra power, #3 wow time for some new tires. I bet the "Z" is factory set at position #3. It's easy to find just look under the steering wheel up into the dash. I bet Nissan thought no one would find it.

Happy July 4th.

Oh I thought it was April 1st.
I havent found that switch but I installed switch #4 on my own . I'll be demonstrating it again tomorrow at Rockingham if it doesn't rain.

So 2 to 3 hp gain isn't a gimmick?

The answer to your question is yes, you can get the whole 5 extra hp out of a quiet exhaust. I beleive a guy in the org has already done it with a borla muffler.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:34 PM

So 2 to 3 hp gain isn't a gimmick?
Not unless you consider the gain produced by practically every straight-through muffler on the market a gimmick.

The answer to your question is yes, you can get the whole 5 extra hp out of a quiet exhaust.
Prove it.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:43 PM
VQ Wizard

[B]
Not unless you consider the gain produced by practically every straight-through muffler on the market a gimmick.

Prove it.
In due time
Old 07-04-2002, 05:44 PM

In due time
Hmmmmm. A Borla muffler that's as quiet as the stock muffler and produces a 5 hp gain. Now this I've got to see . . . AND hear!

Tick . . . tock . . . tick . . . tock . . .
Old 07-04-2002, 05:48 PM

Speed pro, Motec, TEC3, haltek offers their own optimizable ECU's.

Originally posted by CRMax

God, would I pay to have an optimized ECU.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:14 PM

It has to be in the Intake manifold

For example let's look at the 2000+ VQ30DE vs 95-99 VQ30. Basically the only real difference is in the intake manifold and probably ECU tuning. Sure they have different exhaust manifolds but the difference isn't alot (Desertpearl convered to fed spec manifolds). With a different IM nissan was able to gain 20-30whp/10-18wtq over a factory 4th gen. Now with a different IM on the Z, it should see simular gains over 2k2 max/altimas. With a 6200rpm power peak the motor should rev to 7000rpm easy. Never the less the gain has to be 95% due to the different intake manifold. Hell a SR20DE high port IM would cause a shift in the high rpm torque simular to the 350Z's. Torque peak close to 5000rpm, power peak at 6400rpm.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:24 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: It has to be in the Intake manifold

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
For example let's look at the 2000+ VQ30DE vs 95-99 VQ30. Basically the only real difference is in the intake manifold and probably ECU tuning. Sure they have different exhaust manifolds but the difference isn't alot (Desertpearl convered to fed spec manifolds). With a different IM nissan was able to gain 20-30whp/10-18wtq over a factory 4th gen. Now with a different IM on the Z, it should see simular gains over 2k2 max/altimas. With a 6200rpm power peak the motor should rev to 7000rpm easy. Never the less the gain has to be 95% due to the different intake manifold. Hell a SR20DE high port IM would cause a shift in the high rpm torque simular to the 350Z's. Torque peak close to 5000rpm, power peak at 6400rpm.
The newer VQ30 also had wilder cams than the older one.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:11 PM

you are correct. according to that picture there is only a VTC assembly on the intake cam. and like you said, this system would only allow you to advance/retard both cams. and not their relation to each other.

According to this photo, the 350Zs VQ35DE has the same cam setup as ours. This can lead to one of two conclusions.
1.) The 350Z only has a varible intake cam just like all the other VQ35DEs.

2.) The CVTC on the intake cam actually controls both the intake and exhaust cams. You can see the exhaust cam is driven off the intake cam. It is possible that both cams change retard or advance timing but never change in separation angles.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:25 PM
VQ Wizard

Hmmmmm. A Borla muffler that's as quiet as the stock muffler and produces a 5 hp gain. Now this I've got to see . . . AND hear!

Tick . . . tock . . . tick . . . tock . . .
An org member used a borla muffler I didn't say I would. A straight through muffler alone will never be as quiet as the stock one. It will take two or three of them to get close to the stock sound levels.

Quick Reply: Fresh Alloy reports 290 hp out of VQ35