5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fresh Alloy reports 290 hp out of VQ35

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SR20DEN

An org member used a borla muffler I didn't say I would. A straight through muffler alone will never be as quiet as the stock one. It will take two or three of them to get close to the stock sound levels.
OK, SR20DEN.

I've tried a number of exhaust setups on my Maxima. Before I got my Y-pipe, I had a RT Cat, 2.5" mandrel-bent piping and a Magnaflow muffler. After I got my Y-pipe, my exhaust was just too freaking loud. The first thing I did was install a Magnaflow resonator. That helped some, but the exhaust was still too loud and drooooooooooooned like hell. I finally sold the Magnaflow muffler and reinstalled my OEM muffler. That did the trick.

The difference in performance between the Magnaflow and the OEM muffler wasn't noticeable . . . at least not on my butt dyno. I'm sure I lost a couple of hp. But believe me, the tradeoff was worth it!

Old 07-04-2002, 07:37 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by y2kse

OK, SR20DEN.

I've tried a number of exhaust setups on my Maxima. Before I got my Y-pipe, I had a RT Cat, 2.5" mandrel-bent piping and a Magnaflow muffler. After I got my Y-pipe, my exhaust was just too freaking loud. The first thing I did was install a Magnaflow resonator. That helped some, but the exhaust was still too loud and drooooooooooooned like hell. I finally sold the Magnaflow muffler and reinstalled my OEM muffler. That did the trick.

The difference in performance between the Magnaflow and the OEM muffler wasn't noticeable . . . at least not on my butt dyno. I'm sure I lost a couple of hp. But believe me, the tradeoff was worth it!

I was just about to suggest that you of all people should assist me in the design of this exhaust system since you've already done one yourself.

Besides that, we weren't supposed to get off on this tangent anyways. All because I called the oem muffler a gimmick? Just liek you I had the argument with Ethan about it not being one and in the end he won. There was a person who put a 5th gen muffler on a 4th gen car and got like 1 hp if that. I only called it a gimmick because they make it sound like it's such a great work of art but in the end it's just a very expensive oem muffler with some mechanical do dads inside.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:47 PM

I was just about to suggest that you of all people should assist me in the design of this exhaust system since you've already done one yourself.

Besides that, we weren't supposed to get off on this tangent anyways. All because I called the oem muffler a gimmick? Just liek you I had the argument with Ethan about it not being one and in the end he won. There was a person who put a 5th gen muffler on a 4th gen car and got like 1 hp if that. I only called it a gimmick because they make it sound like it's such a great work of art but in the end it's just a very expensive oem muffler with some mechanical do dads inside.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the OEM muffler, SR20DEN. But don't worry. Just because we disagree doesn't mean you're wrong.

If you're planning on installing a Y-pipe when they become available for the 2K2 Maxima, I'd strongly recommend that you do that BEFORE you make any other modifications to your exhaust system. Trust me on this one.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:57 PM
VQ Wizard

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the OEM muffler, SR20DEN. But don't worry. Just because we disagree doesn't mean you're wrong.

If you're planning on installing a Y-pipe when they become available for the 2K2 Maxima, I'd strongly recommend that you do that BEFORE you make any other modifications to your exhaust system. Trust me on this one.
Yeah I do plan on installing a Y pipe when it eventually comes out and I expect it to add a few db's into the mix. On that point I know you're 100% correct. I do beleive you on what you said about your exhaust being annoying. And on that note I am curious as to exactly what magnaflow parts you used. I am currently looking into Magnaflow and Dynomax for parts to build my exhaust and obviously want to avoid an annoying drone. And do I honestly beleive I can make a straight through exhaust as quiet as the OEM 'gimmick' muffler? No. I do beleive I might get close.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: It has to be in the Intake manifold

I'd have to disagree http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....30DE+AND+cams. I know that the 95 VQ30DE cams have around 240* duration on the intake/exhaust. I'm sure that cams with simular specs to the SR20DE or ISKY/JWT stage I or II would make a big difference in topend power. VG30's see around 20-30whp with stage II cams + headwork and 10-20whp wiht stage I + headwork.

The newer VQ30 also had wilder cams than the older one.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:21 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: It has to be in the Intake manifold

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
I'd have to disagree http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....30DE+AND+cams. I know that the 95 VQ30DE cams have around 240* duration on the intake/exhaust. I'm sure that cams with simular specs to the SR20DE or ISKY/JWT stage I or II would make a big difference in topend power. VG30's see around 20-30whp with stage II cams + headwork and 10-20whp wiht stage I + headwork.

The data he posted exactly matches the data sheets I have in front of me. But I only have the FSM on the '98 Maxima and some printed sheets on the 2002 Altima (cam specs). Are you suggesting that the 5th gen VQ30 has the exact same 232° duration as the 4th gen VQ30?

4th Gen cam sheet
Old 07-04-2002, 08:33 PM

So what do you guys think about using the 2001 VI manifold in place of the 2002? I may be willing to try this if you guys think it will give me good gains. The way I see it is if the 2000 gained 32 HP over the 99 and then the 350 Z is gaining 22 HP over the 2002 max maybe the
2001 intake manifold is better then the 2002's? Nisan might have stuck a junky intake on our cars just so they could pump up the 350Z's statis.

BTW any chance the 350Z intake would fit a 2002? From looking at the picture it's hard for me to figure out how that motor is angled in terms of the intake

Just some thoughts from a HP addict
Old 07-04-2002, 08:48 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by emax95
So what do you guys think about using the 2001 VI manifold in place of the 2002? I may be willing to try this if you guys think it will give me good gains. The way I see it is if the 2000 gained 32 HP over the 99 and then the 350 Z is gaining 22 HP over the 2002 max maybe the
2001 intake manifold is better then the 2002's? Nisan might have stuck a junky intake on our cars just so they could pump up the 350Z's statis.

BTW any chance the 350Z intake would fit a 2002? From looking at the picture it's hard for me to figure out how that motor is angled in terms of the intake

It may be worth a shot Ethan but I honestly don't expect it to fit and it probably flows the same or less than the VQ35 plenum. The 5th gen VQ30 intake would probbalt have to go on in both pieces, upper and lower. Nissan also changed the style of injectors on the VQ35 so they probably won't seat properly in the VQ30 plenum without some custom seals.

Now the 350z intake manifold may have some promise. We would have to assume it flows the same or better than the intakes we have. The only real problem I see with it is the throttle body placement.

I just found some interesting videos on Nissans Pathfinder page.

http://www.nissandriven.com/vehicles...,20702,00.html
Old 07-04-2002, 09:28 PM

It may be worth a shot Ethan but I honestly don't expect it to fit and it probably flows the same or less than the VQ35 plenum. The 5th gen VQ30 intake would probbalt have to go on in both pieces, upper and lower. Nissan also changed the style of injectors on the VQ35 so they probably won't seat properly in the VQ30 plenum without some custom seals.

Now the 350z intake manifold may have some promise. We would have to assume it flows the same or better than the intakes we have. The only real problem I see with it is the throttle body placement.

[/url]
Thanks for the infio Matt. Heres a link to a nice pic of the 350's engine lay out.

http://www.groupz.com/jun13/350Z42.jpg
Old 07-04-2002, 10:01 PM

You'd have to check the upper intake manifold to lower IM gaskets for both engines. They might swap over, then again maybe not.

Old 07-04-2002, 10:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: It has to be in the Intake manifold

Damn boy nissan went very conservative on the camshaft profile. Ignoring the lift and size of the valves my factory 87 VG30E has 20* more duration and more overlap. VE's run 248* with 9* overlap as well as the VG30DE's. That is probably why VQ's are the torque monster's they are. Cams would rock in a VQ, there would be a low speed torque loss but the gain after 4000rpm would be tremendous. Hmm JWT or custom cams + MEVI + 7000rpm rev limiter = .

The data he posted exactly matches the data sheets I have in front of me. But I only have the FSM on the '98 Maxima and some printed sheets on the 2002 Altima (cam specs). Are you suggesting that the 5th gen VQ30 has the exact same 232° duration as the 4th gen VQ30?
Old 07-04-2002, 10:15 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It has to be in the Intake manifold

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Damn boy nissan went very conservative on the camshaft profile. Ignoring the lift and size of the valves my factory 87 VG30E has 20* more duration and more overlap. VE's run 248* with 9* overlap as well as the VG30DE's. That is probably why VQ's are the torque monster's they are. Cams would rock in a VQ, there would be a low speed torque loss but the gain after 4000rpm would be tremendous. Hmm JWT or custom cams + MEVI + 7000rpm rev limiter = .
Yeah I agree. The VQ would scream with a good set of cams installed. I was thinking of contacting Crower for such a job instead of JWT. Another distant project .

I figure if we build a VQ35 with 12:1 static compression, a very short runner intake amnifold and install some cams with 280 to 292 duration with about .480" to .500" lift we could rock Hondas' world.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:42 PM

Yeah I do plan on installing a Y pipe when it eventually comes out and I expect it to add a few db's into the mix. On that point I know you're 100% correct. I do beleive you on what you said about your exhaust being annoying. And on that note I am curious as to exactly what magnaflow parts you used. I am currently looking into Magnaflow and Dynomax for parts to build my exhaust and obviously want to avoid an annoying drone. And do I honestly beleive I can make a straight through exhaust as quiet as the OEM 'gimmick' muffler? No. I do beleive I might get close.
I used an aluminized oval body muffler and an aluminized round body resonator. You can check out those products here:

http://www.magnaflow.com/03universal.htm

I think you'll find it very difficult to build a drone-free exhaust system around a Y-pipe and a straight-through muffler. But give it your best shot and let me know how you make out.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It has to be in the Intake manifold

Yeah I agree. The VQ would scream with a good set of cams installed. I was thinking of contacting Crower for such a job instead of JWT. Another distant project .
Actually it isn't that hard. I know the IM has to be removed to access the rear valve cover, and the cams should lift out. If possible a cam swap wouldn't be as hard as say a VG cam swap (head or engine removal). For the cost of getting a core VQ30 at around $200-600 you can use the heads + cams, then sell the stock parts. I've seen VQ35DE's go for $1800-3000 locally. I believe new cores from nissan are like $150-200 each cam. Figure $1k after it is all done.

I figure if we build a VQ35 with 12:1 static compression, a very short runner intake amnifold and install some cams with 280 to 292 duration with about .480" to .500" lift we could rock Hondas' world.
Now that is a great idea however it would ruin the entire car. I'd say get a 4th gen with a blown motor and do the VQ35 swap. Then run your choice of standalone engine management and it would be all good . Or just get a DET (VQ30DET) and be done with it .
Old 07-04-2002, 10:58 PM
VQ Wizard

Isn't that hard eh? Do you realize that the entire front cover has to be removed in order to remove the cams?

Ruin the engine? If a custom IM is made to retain driveability I would say it's feasible.

And we know everyone wants a turbo kit. That would be easier and more productive but wouldn't prove our point about how good the VQ could be NA.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:29 AM

Re: Ohh, ye wise men....prithee tell me...at this

Originally posted by Galo
stage of your Nissan experiences, do you believe Nissan horsepower figures??

My old 540 weighed 3750 pounds and with 282 HP would do 5.7 secs 0-60 and 14.2 (at 102)in the quarter. And if u calculate the weight/HP numbers they work out to be 13.29 lbs/hp.

If you use 3350 lbs for the 350Z and 290 hp, the weight/hp works out to be 11.55 lbs/hp...with that much better power/weight ratio the car should be much under 5.4 secs 0-60 and 14.1 at 101 for the quarter mile, moreso considering the improved aerodynamics versus the E39 body.

Granted...the HP is very likely better than 255 but 290?? Nahh...I wont buy that for a minute...
Sounds to me like you are using peak hp/tq numbers. They really don't tell the tale - you need the curves. If the 540 holds the near peak hp/tq longer than the nissan - it may run faster even though it has a lower peak.

Also, you must factor in transmission gearing and efficiency. Say what you will about bmw but their trannys are fantastic.

Who knows what the Z will really run? I can't imagine that a good driver who pushes the car won't easily get 13s stock.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:11 AM

you are correct; the larger displacement engine usually holds the power much longer and usually also has a FLAT powerband... therefor more useable power. Ever wonder why people are revving their engines up a slope in an inline-4 car?
Old 07-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tranny

Just curious, do you guys think that the 6speed can handle the increased power gains, because in my opinion, i think the 6 speed is kinda flaky

Any ideas??

ED
Old 07-06-2002, 08:57 PM

Re: Tranny

Originally posted by MiniRX7
Just curious, do you guys think that the 6speed can handle the increased power gains, because in my opinion, i think the 6 speed is kinda flaky

Any ideas??

ED
maxima has weak transmission
Old 07-06-2002, 10:13 PM

I hear the clutch on the 2002 is very strong. Ask SR20
Old 07-06-2002, 11:58 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
you are correct; the larger displacement engine usually holds the power much longer and usually also has a FLAT powerband... therefor more useable power. Ever wonder why people are revving their engines up a slope in an inline-4 car?
That is only half right. The only reason larger displacement engines have a flatter power band is because they aren't usually tuned to wind out and make a mountain power curve like what you'll get from a motorcycle. If you could see the dyno chart from a 3.5 litre IRL engine you would see exactly what I mean.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:11 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: Tranny

Originally posted by MiniRX7

Any ideas??

ED
Well that all depends on what kinds of power gains you're talking about. Thus far it's too early to tell just how strong the RS6F51 (A) (H) trannies are without cracking one open. The only real problem I can see at the moment is that Nissan is still using crappie brass syncro rings in 2nd and 3rd gear. I suppose thats all most people need but I am not most people and my 3rd gear syncro is shot. I just flipped 7000 miles on the odometer. I have also noticed that my HLSD has malfunctioned once or twice.
If this gearbox was made by the same company that made the RS5F50 (A) (V) (4th gen 5speed) then I expect it to eventually break. Lets hope the gears themselves hold out fine.

And yes Ethan, we couldn't have asked for a better street clutch than what Nissan has given us. Lets be thankfull they at least got that part right. And since they put such a strong clutch in these things, added alot more power and torque, we can assume this gearbox would have to be alot stronger than the previous ones. Now if they'd just start giving us kevlar syncros we would have a gem of a gearbox.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:19 AM

That is only half right. The only reason larger displacement engines have a flatter power band is because they aren't usually tuned to wind out and make a mountain power curve like what you'll get from a motorcycle. If you could see the dyno chart from a 3.5 litre IRL engine you would see exactly what I mean.
True, but generally speaking any V8 has a flatter powerband then v6, inline-4
Old 07-07-2002, 03:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: This is pretty funny

PS: For those who don't know, the "gimmick" muffler SR20DEN is referring to is based on a Skyline design. It's also the muffler design used on the 350Z. Officially, Nissan refers to the design as "variable-capacity". It's won industry awards for its ability to provide both high performance and low noise. And it's precisely for those reasons why it's the only thing rear of the manifolds that's still stock on my exhaust system.
Oh please,

You really DO believe everything you read don't you?
Old 07-07-2002, 07:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is pretty funny

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Oh please,

You really DO believe everything you read don't you?
Your response is unworthy of a reply, Chinkzilla. I will therefore refrain from dignifying you with one. You may interpret that as you will.

I invite you to return to the topic any time you like.

It's better to give a resentment than to get a resentment!
Old 07-07-2002, 10:07 AM

He got you too
Old 07-07-2002, 10:28 AM

He got you too
Perception is everything, my friend.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:50 PM

my uncle is thinking about opening a Nissan dealer here in Northern VA. hopefully it will go through and hopefully i will have access to all of the 350Z parts to test most of what was just talked about. who knows when that will happen though,
Old 07-07-2002, 08:57 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by Newman
my uncle is thinking about opening a Nissan dealer here in Northern VA. hopefully it will go through and hopefully i will have access to all of the 350Z parts to test most of what was just talked about. who knows when that will happen though,
Newman == Group Deal on Z parts !

Y2K, we all have our opinions, drop the exhaust thing. Just do what makes you happy, but let everyone else do with their $$ as they want. I dont have a problem with people trying to save money, but cutting corners is so stupid, when you drive a 30 K car . I haven't seen too many Skylines with stock exhausts !
Old 07-07-2002, 09:16 PM

Re: Re: Tranny

this may help you to figure out who makes the trannies

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...nsmissions.htm

http://www.drivetrain.com/nissanRS5F50Afwd5sp.html

Well that all depends on what kinds of power gains you're talking about. Thus far it's too early to tell just how strong the RS6F51 (A) (H) trannies are without cracking one open. The only real problem I can see at the moment is that Nissan is still using crappie brass syncro rings in 2nd and 3rd gear. I suppose thats all most people need but I am not most people and my 3rd gear syncro is shot. I just flipped 7000 miles on the odometer. I have also noticed that my HLSD has malfunctioned once or twice.
If this gearbox was made by the same company that made the RS5F50 (A) (V) (4th gen 5speed) then I expect it to eventually break. Lets hope the gears themselves hold out fine.

And yes Ethan, we couldn't have asked for a better street clutch than what Nissan has given us. Lets be thankfull they at least got that part right. And since they put such a strong clutch in these things, added alot more power and torque, we can assume this gearbox would have to be alot stronger than the previous ones. Now if they'd just start giving us kevlar syncros we would have a gem of a gearbox.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by kloogy

Newman == Group Deal on Z parts !

Y2K, we all have our opinions, drop the exhaust thing. Just do what makes you happy, but let everyone else do with their $$ as they want. I dont have a problem with people trying to save money, but cutting corners is so stupid, when you drive a 30 K car . I haven't seen too many Skylines with stock exhausts !
What people do with their money is none of my business, kloogy. I've never said otherwise.

Once again, my only interest is in presenting the facts. And I intend to keep doing precisely that. Those who can't stand the heat should stay out of the kitchen.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:00 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

What people do with their money is none of my business, kloogy. I've never said otherwise.

Once again, my only interest is in presenting the facts. And I intend to keep doing precisely that. Those who can't stand the heat should stay out of the kitchen.
Y2K, the point we are trying to relate here is that an aftermarket muffler is going to flow better ! No matter what ! I know you dont like the DRONE effect, but I love to hear it as I pass Russ's CL-Type Loser !
Old 07-07-2002, 10:38 PM

Y2K, the point we are trying to relate here is that an aftermarket muffler is going to flow better ! No matter what !
I agree, kloogy. I'm not arguing that point.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:45 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Ok, Bro.. so lets just call it done !
Old 07-07-2002, 11:20 PM

Ok, Bro.. so lets just call it done !
Works for me!
Old 07-09-2002, 03:28 PM
VQ Wizard

Fresh Alloy reports 290 hp out of VQ35

Originally posted by DAVEB

Been going through the 350Z parts listings- All the engine internals are the same! Cams, pistons, valves, you name it- Exactly the same part #'s as a Maxima or Altima. The exhaust looks like nothing special-log-style manifolds and a y-pipe down to a single-the rear muffler just has two outlets. Makes me wonder where they got the extra HP.
I just want to confirm some of this data. I just went to my local dealer and looked up some part numbers.

Each camshaft has it's own part number (left exhaust, left intake, right exhaust, right intake). The Maxima and the Z car use exactly the same cams.

It appears that they both use the same lower intake manifold but I didn't get part numbers on that. The Z's upper intake is in two pieces just like it appears to be in the pictures. A bottom and top piece but the dealer only had a price listing for the bottom part i think (about $268).

The Z does have different part numbers for it's fuel injectors. It lists a Bosch and a Unisia - Jecs part.

So if the Z does have the same cams, same valves and same heads that only leaves Intake, exhaust and some ECU mapping tweaks to make the extra power. I suppose we'll all learn alot more once someone finally gets a Z on a dyno and posts a graph.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:55 PM

Re: Fresh Alloy reports 290 hp out of VQ35

I can't see more than 5 or 10 hp coming from the intake/exhaust, expecially if the intake manifold is the same (i.e.: no extrude hone or anthing). The exhaust on the 2k2 is already quite good anyways. I think the engine is being choked in the ECU.

If this is true it may be worth our while to talk to someone like GIAC, en masse, to convince them it is worth their while to compare the Max ECU with the Z ECU and come up with a chip.

On a side note, I wonder if the VQ35 in the G35 Coupe is going to be making any more power?

I just want to confirm some of this data. I just went to my local dealer and looked up some part numbers.

Each camshaft has it's own part number (left exhaust, left intake, right exhaust, right intake). The Maxima and the Z car use exactly the same cams.

It appears that they both use the same lower intake manifold but I didn't get part numbers on that. The Z's upper intake is in two pieces just like it appears to be in the pictures. A bottom and top piece but the dealer only had a price listing for the bottom part i think (about $268).

The Z does have different part numbers for it's fuel injectors. It lists a Bosch and a Unisia - Jecs part.

So if the Z does have the same cams, same valves and same heads that only leaves Intake, exhaust and some ECU mapping tweaks to make the extra power. I suppose we'll all learn alot more once someone finally gets a Z on a dyno and posts a graph.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:00 PM

Re: Re: Fresh Alloy reports 290 hp out of VQ35

Originally posted by Eric
I can't see more than 5 or 10 hp coming from the intake/exhaust, expecially if the intake manifold is the same (i.e.: no extrude hone or anthing). The exhaust on the 2k2 is already quite good anyways. I think the engine is being choked in the ECU.

2002's gain about 6-8 FWHP off of a intake alone, I gained a peak 11 HP from some minor exhaust work. With a Y-pipe we will see atleast 10 more FWHP.

Matt I was just wondering about the lower intake manifold, thats good news about it being the same part. Now I am trying to figure out where the 350Z's intake manifold would end up on a maxima. My guess is it would settle right next to or on top of the Front strut tower. Hmm.. maybe we could get it to work but I would need to know the measurments on it before trying. The 6ht gen maxima intake may however be a perfect fit. This is going to be fun
Old 07-09-2002, 07:04 PM

whooo hooo replying to this neverending post is interesting. as far as cams go, its not that hard. yes the front cover and all the major accessories have to come off, but its still fairly easy. The cams are right under the valve cover. I have cam locking tools so its even easier. i've done countless swaps when i worked at roush for the DOHC escape motors. honestly it sounds like the best idea to get a crappy car for driving to work, and then buy a 4'th gen and swap motors. I would put a VQ engine with some work in a 4'th gen. I love that pull all the way to redline. a set of good cams and a good ecu would easily give that vq motor at least 50+hp. but at that point you need a bigger fuel pump, possibly bigger injectors, and the MAF sensor to go with it. Heres A GREAT IDEA! See if the connections for the VQ3.5 fits the 3.0. See if it is bigger. I bet it is. A bigger MAF on the car will flow much more air, and im betting you would get at least 10 hp. just think if you could swap the ecu and the injectors!?!?!
Old 07-09-2002, 07:23 PM
VQ Wizard

From what I have taken apart and seen already it looks as if it would be easier to remove the entire engine to do a cam swap vs. doing the work inside the car. This engine is VERY easy to work on as long as you dont attempt to remove cams or cylinder heads. It does look as if it's fairly easy to remove though. The other problem with a cam swap is that currently there are none. And if we did get cams made we would have to get a new ECU prog to extend the crappie 6600 RPM limiter. This motor should have been built to make peak power at 7500 rpms.

As for the Z manifold just imagine looking at your intake manifold and turning it 90° clockwise. By the way, I have started on the 'project'.

Quick Reply: Fresh Alloy reports 290 hp out of VQ35