5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Seats -- Leather vs. Cloth

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 06:20 AM
BuddyWh

Re: Re: Seats -- Leather vs. Cloth

Originally posted by asu174

Final score:
Leather 10
Cloth 1
Except the only vote that counts is mine!

Old 07-07-2002, 10:41 AM
pjalst

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

keep the cloth, after few performance mods (esp suspension), u will notice that slick leahter seats are not going to keep u in there.
If you don't take corners on two wheels you won't have a problem staying in the leather seats.

Old 07-07-2002, 08:43 PM

i have had enough cars with leather seats, and it is that reason I got cloth in my Maxima. In CT, the leather is hot in the summer, ice cold in the winter, and the killer is that it starts to crack and then looks like crap. When they are new, leather seats are much nicer, no arguement, but over the long run, cloth is probably the better choice..just my .02
Old 07-07-2002, 10:37 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by mpc578
i have had enough cars with leather seats, and it is that reason I got cloth in my Maxima. In CT, the leather is hot in the summer, ice cold in the winter, and the killer is that it starts to crack and then looks like crap. When they are new, leather seats are much nicer, no arguement, but over the long run, cloth is probably the better choice..just my .02
if you treat the leather with conditioner at least once a month the leather won't crack.

Old 07-08-2002, 06:53 AM

I tried that in every car, and every one started to crack reguardless..I am not sure if it is because I am in CT, and we have such differences in weather?
Old 07-08-2002, 07:37 AM
//M5'ver

a picture is worth a thousand words. .and since i don't feel like typing 1000 words.. here goes..

Cloth Convert # 12343412

and all that stuff alot of you cloth owners said about leather.. its BS.. i owned both.. so i know you full of ****..

Old 07-08-2002, 07:58 AM
BuddyWh

Originally posted by Turbo97GXE
a picture is worth a thousand words. .and since i don't feel like typing 1000 words.. here goes..
Good pics' leather is great to look at.

But still lousey to sit on. Just like in my living room, cloth is the more comfortable and relaxing at all times.

But it's all an opinion thing, and that's mine.

BuddyWh

Old 07-08-2002, 08:06 AM
//M5'ver

i don't mind sitting on leather.. never had a problem with it.. no sliding .. no nothing.. its warm in summer.. but its not hot.. maybe its because i have a different leather from factory leather?

i dunno.. that and it wipes up easier than cloth

Originally posted by BuddyWh

Good pics' leather is great to look at.

But still lousey to sit on. Just like in my living room, cloth is the more comfortable and relaxing at all times.

But it's all an opinion thing, and that's mine.

BuddyWh

Old 07-08-2002, 09:19 AM
BuddyWh

Originally posted by Turbo97GXE
i don't mind sitting on leather...
I've had leather upholstered rentals for extended periods... in Southern California during summer. One was a convertable... when I wore shorts I took to carrying a motel towel with me to put under my (bare) legs when I'd get in after leaving it parked in the sun for a while (yeah... I left top down... it was rented )

Of course... back here in the desert... I can't touch the steering wheel after leaving my car parked in the sun, even with tinting and aluminized sun shades in the front window

BuddyWh

Old 07-08-2002, 10:55 AM

aftermarket leather

So I just got off the phone with a rather helpful individual at leatherseats.com. I think of the $1500 Nissan wants to charge me for leather, then I look at the $679 price I was quoted for a 2k2 SE dual bucket seats, and rear seats from leatherseats.com. To have this professionally installed on the East Coast would probably cost around $400. So my grand total is pretty close to $1100. However, if I choose to install myself, I save the $400 for other mods. Either way, it's cheaper than Nissan's price for leather interior.

Plus, you've got the whole customization of your max going on. I personally like the two tone seats (insert style) with 'SE' embroidered on the seat. I'm thinking frost color, with black on the inside. Check this gallery of pics at leatherseats.com. That first pic in the upper left is the style I am talking about, but reverse the colors.

I would probably get the frost cloth interior from the dealer, and then customize. Only problem is that the steering wheel isn't leather, and the rep from leatherseats told me it was difficult to wrap a steering wheel well.

So my questions:
1) Any thoughts on this steering wheel issue?
2) Is this a reasonable plan of attack for modding the interior (monetarily and style wise)?
3) Can you get Meridian Edition package with Cloth?
Old 07-08-2002, 12:24 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by mpc578
I tried that in every car, and every one started to crack reguardless..I am not sure if it is because I am in CT, and we have such differences in weather?
What product did you use to treat the leather?

Old 07-08-2002, 12:28 PM

Try Meguiar's Cold Glass leather protector. Good stuff.

Originally posted by pjalst

Old 07-08-2002, 01:08 PM
//M5'ver

Originally posted by pjalst

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=soft+scrub

Old 07-08-2002, 02:28 PM

Re: Seats -- Leather vs. Cloth

I would never get leather, but that is just my preference. I had leather seats once and god damn were they unconfortable. U sweat like a pig in the summer, takes few mins to warm them up in the winter, plust 1600$ more hell no, for that money I can mod my car pretty well. I agree with the fact that leather looks a lot more luxurius, but Im more about the comfort.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:11 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I had cloth and I converted to leather. I'll never go back. I purchased the Leatherseats kit back in December and installed myself (2 days - sore hands). The Leatherseat leather grain is FAR better than the Nissan leather. The Nissan leather is shiny, slick, and feels thin. The Leatherseats leather is very thick, high quality cut, and has a semi-gloss look. The leather is very supple and soft yet very strong. I don't slide around in my seats like I do in my friend's leather equipped SE and GLE. I also noticed that my seats feel much more bolstered yet a bit softer with the leather. I love it.

I live in the Midwest therefore I experienc temperature extremes (0s to 100s depending on season). In the winter, sitting on the leather is a bit painful for about 20 seconds and then the seat warms up quickly from your body heat. Big deal. Right now the temps are well into the 90s and my leather is fine. I have yet to burn myself. I've got a black Maxima with 30% tint and I use a dash shade while not in the car. I walk up to the car, roll the windows down, start the car and crank the AC, roll the windows up, and 2 minutes later I'm completely comfortable in 90+ degree sunny heat. No wet a$$ or burned legs.

The look of leather makes the interior look much more upscale. Getting the leather really has made me fall back in love with my car.

FYI, the Leatherseat kit is not entirely leather. The front seating surfaces are leather as are the headrests. The seat backs are vinyl. The only part that's leather on the rear bench is the center portion of the outboard seats. Everything else is vinyl.

For $720 (install kit and shipping included) you can't go wrong. Install is easy, just time consuming.

Here's a crappy pic of my black/charcoal setup:

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...s/newseats.jpg

Dave
Old 07-08-2002, 03:24 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Re: aftermarket leather

Originally posted by paxus
So my questions:
1) Any thoughts on this steering wheel issue?
2) Is this a reasonable plan of attack for modding the interior (monetarily and style wise)?
1......... Thats why I would just go with the leather from the factory. The aftermarket one looks nice. But you wont be able to get the steering wheel.

2. If you dont get it, the ones from Leatherseats are very nice, and not expensive.

3. No you cant. I wanted navigation, but no Bose, and the way Nissan bundles the options, you either get it all, or you dont !
Old 07-08-2002, 04:57 PM
I miss the .org!

Re: aftermarket leather

Like I said before, yes. I've been to a bunch of dealers in the last couple weeks, and I've seen it with my own eyes.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:12 PM

The leather, which I have, could be improved if the rear seats were heated. In the winter my kids find the leather cold.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:35 PM

Meridian Edition available with cloth interior?

Originally posted by kloogy

1......... Thats why I would just go with the leather from the factory. The aftermarket one looks nice. But you wont be able to get the steering wheel.

2. If you dont get it, the ones from Leatherseats are very nice, and not expensive.

3. No you cant. I wanted navigation, but no Bose, and the way Nissan bundles the options, you either get it all, or you dont !
Triple said the following about the ME's availability:
Like I said before, yes. I've been to a bunch of dealers in the last couple weeks, and I've seen it with my own eyes.
So, I dunno what to believe here -- I'm confused as to whether factory leather seats are a requirement to get the Meridian Edition Package (heated FSeats, Steering Wheel, and Side Mirrors). I hear conflicting arguments from Kloogy and Triple.

Did they start making Maximas with cloth interior and ME package later on, and therefore are available only lately?

I like those leatherseats.com kits for the right price. I may just have to live without Meridian Edition. Plus, a disadvantage of ME, although not that common an accident, but if you break a side mirror, the cost of repair is pretty hefty due to its properties. Just a thought..
Old 07-08-2002, 06:33 PM

Try the weather in Ottawa, -40 Degrees Celcius in the winter and + 40 in the summer!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:36 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Re: Meridian Edition available with cloth interior?

Triple said the following about the ME's availability:

So, I dunno what to believe here -- I'm confused as to whether factory leather seats are a requirement to get the Meridian Edition Package (heated FSeats, Steering Wheel, and Side Mirrors). I hear conflicting arguments from Kloogy and Triple.

Did they start making Maximas with cloth interior and ME package later on, and therefore are available only lately?

I like those leatherseats.com kits for the right price. I may just have to live without Meridian Edition. Plus, a disadvantage of ME, although not that common an accident, but if you break a side mirror, the cost of repair is pretty hefty due to its properties. Just a thought..
He might be right. It might be new for 2K3..
Old 07-09-2002, 12:21 AM
I miss the .org!

Paxus:

I have been shopping for a 2002 Maxima. More than one dealer had ones with cloth seats, and Meridian. As someone else stated earlier, Nissan seems to switch their option requirements between different production batches. I have no idea about on 2003's.

As for the special deals Nissa was running ($1000 rebate or special APR), they ended. Does anybody know if they're going to continue it?
Old 07-09-2002, 11:21 AM
I miss the .org!

Oh and also, Leather steering wheel and Leather shift **** is standard on SE and GLE.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Oh and also, Leather steering wheel and Leather shift **** is standard on SE and GLE.
Oh, sweet. That's not part of the leather package!? AWESOME. I need to see if I can track down a max with the right color cloth and ME package. Then I will be set.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:24 PM

Re: Re: aftermarket leather

Originally posted by kloogy

Leather steering wheel and shift **** are STANDARD on SE and GLE
Old 07-10-2002, 05:46 AM
//M5'ver

Thank you.. exactly what i said before.. its 10 times better than nissan leather.. and it doesn't feel the same.. my cousin has a fully loaded 97 SE so i know what nissan cracking leather looks and feels like

Originally posted by Dave B
I had cloth and I converted to leather. I'll never go back. I purchased the Leatherseats kit back in December and installed myself (2 days - sore hands). The Leatherseat leather grain is FAR better than the Nissan leather. The Nissan leather is shiny, slick, and feels thin. The Leatherseats leather is very thick, high quality cut, and has a semi-gloss look. The leather is very supple and soft yet very strong. I don't slide around in my seats like I do in my friend's leather equipped SE and GLE. I also noticed that my seats feel much more bolstered yet a bit softer with the leather. I love it.

I live in the Midwest therefore I experienc temperature extremes (0s to 100s depending on season). In the winter, sitting on the leather is a bit painful for about 20 seconds and then the seat warms up quickly from your body heat. Big deal. Right now the temps are well into the 90s and my leather is fine. I have yet to burn myself. I've got a black Maxima with 30% tint and I use a dash shade while not in the car. I walk up to the car, roll the windows down, start the car and crank the AC, roll the windows up, and 2 minutes later I'm completely comfortable in 90+ degree sunny heat. No wet a$$ or burned legs.

The look of leather makes the interior look much more upscale. Getting the leather really has made me fall back in love with my car.

FYI, the Leatherseat kit is not entirely leather. The front seating surfaces are leather as are the headrests. The seat backs are vinyl. The only part that's leather on the rear bench is the center portion of the outboard seats. Everything else is vinyl.

For $720 (install kit and shipping included) you can't go wrong. Install is easy, just time consuming.

Here's a crappy pic of my black/charcoal setup:

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...s/newseats.jpg

Dave