5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just installed Injen CAI - 2K1 (no pics yet)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 01:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just installed Injen CAI - 2K1 (no pics yet)

I put my Injen CAI on yesterday morning. I didn't have a good chance to drive it around until today, so I didn't post anything yesterday.

First Impressions:
  • SOUND: I am much happier with the sound of the Injen vs. the Frankencar midpipe and POP-style intake. It is certainly a question of personal likes, but the Injen is much quieter at low-RPM's and it growls in a more muffled, and therefore deeper level at WOT. A big plus is the whistling sound of air being pulled in at idle is hardly noticeable with the Injen and was exceptionally noticeably with the Frankencar.
  • LOOKS: The thing looks nice. As some of you know, I did everything in blue instead of the read stock couplers and hoses and it looks nice. The polished piping looks great.
  • POWER: Whatever, no significant difference at this point. I haven't driven it enough to really give it a try. It pulls pretty hard, but tough to compare to the Frankencar. If I had to guess, I'd say the Injen pulls better off the line, but that's a butt dyno talking.
  • INSTALL: Pretty easy installation, but I've done four different intake setups on my Maxima, so I could do it blindfolded by now. hoses are all pretty tight from Injen. Getting everything in place is a bit of a pain...lots of joints in the intake, so it moves around a lot while you're trying to tighten everything. It sits nicely, no rubbing against any frame or engine parts.

Overall, the sound and looks are good enough reason for me to do the switch. My blue hoses and couplers are starting to take and the blue look is going good. I even took the plates off my Courtesy FSTB and painted them blue. That looks great too. See my upcoming thread about the FSTB "situation" I had yesterday.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sounds good

Please post pics when you get around to it. Especially the location of the filter. I live in Boston, and as you may know we get some pretty nasty weather here, so locaton of the filter is key. I don't want to risk ingesting H20. I would love to find a nice CAI and this one seems like it may be worth it. I use to have HAI, but realzied that my car felt like it was gasping for air in this humid summer soup that we get out here. As a result, I have since put the good old stock air box back.
Old 07-05-2002, 04:44 PM

Just wondering...

..what happens when you need to clean/replace the filter? Is it hard to reach down there?
Old 07-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Just wondering...

Originally posted by Ludacris
..what happens when you need to clean/replace the filter? Is it hard to reach down there?
I intend to go under, pull the splash guard off and remove the filter from the end of the intake tubing. It shouldn't be all that hard to pull off and return from the bottom.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:15 PM

Re: sounds good

Originally posted by maxman00
Please post pics when you get around to it. Especially the location of the filter. I live in Boston, and as you may know we get some pretty nasty weather here, so locaton of the filter is key. I don't want to risk ingesting H20.
what about that valve...dang..forgot the name of it..that prevents the H20 from getting into your intake.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: sounds good

bypass

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R

what about that valve...dang..forgot the name of it..that prevents the H20 from getting into your intake.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: sounds good

Originally posted by soundmike
bypass
ditto!!!!!