5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 MAXIMA 6 spd PART 6

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 12:07 AM

2002 MAXIMA 6 spd PART 6

OK, I have taken my 2002 Maxima 6 spd to two Nissan dealers. Both admitted the hesitation exists, but on paper they call it "normal driving condition". They won't say it is a design bug. I took it to an indepedent technician and he felt it right away.

Thanks for the information that three of you have sent me. I hope to receive more so that I have a stronger voice to bring to Nissan. Nissan pretty much dismisses what is on the Internet.

I noticed the technicians at the dealers said very similar things in terms of response to the complaint, a sign that they might have been told to respond to this complaint in a way that won't get them into trouble. One dealer was very honest in his conversation but on paper, he would just say that the hesitation (they don't call that) is normal design feature.

I hope you folks who have noticed the same problem email to maxima_bugs@yahoo.com. Just give me your name and the place where you bought the car. I just feel that Nissan should not sell a car when it is not ready. This is, put in a nice way, not right. Our investment in the car is the other. This problem WILL compromise the car's resale value.

Let's work together on this !!
Old 07-06-2002, 05:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2002 MAXIMA 6 spd PART 6

Originally posted by alui
OK, I have taken my 2002 Maxima 6 spd to two Nissan dealers. Both admitted the hesitation exists, but on paper they call it "normal driving condition". They won't say it is a design bug. I took it to an indepedent technician and he felt it right away.

Thanks for the information that three of you have sent me. I hope to receive more so that I have a stronger voice to bring to Nissan. Nissan pretty much dismisses what is on the Internet.

I noticed the technicians at the dealers said very similar things in terms of response to the complaint, a sign that they might have been told to respond to this complaint in a way that won't get them into trouble. One dealer was very honest in his conversation but on paper, he would just say that the hesitation (they don't call that) is normal design feature.

I hope you folks who have noticed the same problem email to maxima_bugs@yahoo.com. Just give me your name and the place where you bought the car. I just feel that Nissan should not sell a car when it is not ready. This is, put in a nice way, not right. Our investment in the car is the other. This problem WILL compromise the car's resale value.

Let's work together on this !!
Well, you are now getting the infamous "we know something is wrong with your car but refuse to admit it because we can't figure out what it is and if we admit there is something wrong but can't fix it we'll get stuck with the car" response.

I went through this exact problem with Nissan over the variable intake in my maxima. Fortunately, I (with some help from some fellow org members) was able to figure out the problem and PRESSURED them into replacing my variable intake.

You are in a worse position because you can't identify the problem. Unfortunately, your only recourse may be the lemon law. Nissan WILL NOT admit you have a problem.

I suggest that you read up on the lemon law requirements (typically three visits without resolving the problem over a certain period of time), meet them, and send the demand notice to nissan. Ultimately, their failure to admit there is a problem should not allow them to avoid the lemon law requirement that they fix a problem. And you should be able to independently verify the problem with an expert who is capable of testifying in an arbitration.

If you've got a lawyer friend, he or she may be willing to help you through the notice to Nissan stage - but it isn't necessary. Then see what happens.

From my experience this is typical of the way Nissan handles these types of problems. The Nissan 1 line was of no help whatsoever for me.

Also, even if they say they won't fix it under warranty (an admission that there is a problem) they can fix it as "customer goodwill" as they did with mine. But . . . you've got to identify the problem.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:44 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

lemon law wont work for this.

if the car was designed in such a way that causes the hesitation, then its 'normal', not exactly a fault of your specific car. Thats why people lost in arbitration with the fuel cut off issue... even tho they released new ECU code for it 2 months later. Only weeks before, as I recall, they were sending engineers and regional reps to fight in arbitration. The owner that I know of lost.

nice...