5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to install aftermarket fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 02:15 AM

How to install aftermarket fog lights

I bought some aftermarket fog lights. I am suppose to connect one wire to the battery(the positive side). Also run wires inside the cabin for switch.

My problem is
1) How do I connect the wire from the lights to the battery. Like through the fuse box or something? Also I want it to be on all the time.
2) How do I get the switch inside the cabin? What is the easiest way without drilling?

I am not too good with installing stuff yet..so can you guys help me out and provide detailed instuctions on how everything should be done.

Thank you.
Old 07-06-2002, 12:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey Steve,
The esaiest would be to get stock fog lights from nissan (around $140) they are pefect fit and look good.

Now if you insist on having aftermarket ones... I would get a fog light stalk and relay from nissan (look in the"parts list" here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=125932) and then connect aftermarket fogs to a stock pre-wired harness up-front

Instructions for installing stock fogs can be had here: http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...00002_pg1.html

Edit: The parts list is for 2k - 2k1 - different parts for 2k2
Old 07-07-2002, 01:34 AM

I already have the stock ones. I just want to know how to add extra aftermarket ones. Can someone help...thanks

Originally posted by Maksim2000
Hey Steve,
The esaiest would be to get stock fog lights from nissan (around $140) they are pefect fit and look good.

Now if you insist on having aftermarket ones... I would get a fog light stalk and relay from nissan (look in the"parts list" here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=125932) and then connect aftermarket fogs to a stock pre-wired harness up-front

Instructions for installing stock fogs can be had here: http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...00002_pg1.html

Edit: The parts list is for 2k - 2k1 - different parts for 2k2
Old 07-07-2002, 03:11 AM
JET Speed Lab

Originally posted by stevechen
I already have the stock ones. I just want to know how to add extra aftermarket ones. Can someone help...thanks

drill the hole.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ToYLeT902
drill the hole.
Or just piggiback them onto your stock ones
Old 07-08-2002, 01:45 PM

Re: How to install aftermarket fog lights

Can someone tell me how to wire them? like exactly and not just say drill a hole?...i would appreciate it

I bought some aftermarket fog lights. I am suppose to connect one wire to the battery(the positive side). Also run wires inside the cabin for switch.

My problem is
1) How do I connect the wire from the lights to the battery. Like through the fuse box or something? Also I want it to be on all the time.
2) How do I get the switch inside the cabin? What is the easiest way without drilling?

I am not too good with installing stuff yet..so can you guys help me out and provide detailed instuctions on how everything should be done.

Thank you.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:54 PM

wire runs to the inside of the cabin have been covered previously in some threads. that may explain the curt responses, we're big fans of the search here.

but basically, there's two locations you need to know about. the first is the location to drill. i suppose you could drill just about anywhere you want, but a convenient location is in the driver's footwell. if you crawl under there with a flashlight, you'll find a nice precut 'keyhole' shape in the upper region of the footwell. there's a finger groove in it too so you can more or less just pull it back to expose metal. drill through that to get to the engine bay. the other side is mostly clear, so don't worry too much about cutting stuff. having said that, don't be a maniac either. drill enough to make a dimple on the other side and then go and look in the engine bay to see where you're gonna punch through.
depending on how big a hole you're drilling, you can run anything through it, stereo power lines, switches, yada yada yada..

the second location is for the switch. look to the left of the steering wheel and you'll see empty blocks for unused factory accessories. these snap in from the front so you can release them from the back. or else, if you don't have the seat heaters, you can mount the switch where the heater switches would have gone in the center console. there'll be two of those empty blocks, above the e-brake.

actually, another place could be inside the dinky little coin holder thing next to the shifter. that may be cool cuz the switch would be a little recessed.

good luck
Old 07-09-2002, 01:47 AM

Thank you for explaining the switch part serin. I would also like to how to connect the wire to the battery. On the instruction that came with my fog lights it says connect this one wire to 12v positive. Do I connect it directly to the battery like the battery it self or should i run it to the fuse box. Can you give me detailed instructions on this one too. I want to be able to turn on my lights when the car is off.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by serin
wire runs to the inside of the cabin have been covered previously in some threads. that may explain the curt responses, we're big fans of the search here.

but basically, there's two locations you need to know about. the first is the location to drill. i suppose you could drill just about anywhere you want, but a convenient location is in the driver's footwell. if you crawl under there with a flashlight, you'll find a nice precut 'keyhole' shape in the upper region of the footwell. there's a finger groove in it too so you can more or less just pull it back to expose metal. drill through that to get to the engine bay. the other side is mostly clear, so don't worry too much about cutting stuff. having said that, don't be a maniac either. drill enough to make a dimple on the other side and then go and look in the engine bay to see where you're gonna punch through.
depending on how big a hole you're drilling, you can run anything through it, stereo power lines, switches, yada yada yada..

the second location is for the switch. look to the left of the steering wheel and you'll see empty blocks for unused factory accessories. these snap in from the front so you can release them from the back. or else, if you don't have the seat heaters, you can mount the switch where the heater switches would have gone in the center console. there'll be two of those empty blocks, above the e-brake.

actually, another place could be inside the dinky little coin holder thing next to the shifter. that may be cool cuz the switch would be a little recessed.

good luck
Old 07-09-2002, 06:22 AM

Thank you for explaining the switch part serin. I would also like to how to connect the wire to the battery. On the instruction that came with my fog lights it says connect this one wire to 12v positive. Do I connect it directly to the battery like the battery it self or should i run it to the fuse box. Can you give me detailed instructions on this one too. I want to be able to turn on my lights when the car is off.

Thanks in advance

probably your best bet is to run it directly. very easy, just like running a power line for a stereo amp. you can connect the line directly to the pos(+) terminal of the battery with an in-line fuse (you can get these at kragen, pep boys... just make sure you get one that's rated for the correct load)
take the gound(-) wire from your switch and bolt it directly to a metal portion of the car and make sure that the ground wire is no longer than the pos wire, preferably shorter. those two connections should provide whatever power you need.
also, i forgot to mention that if you drill, there will most likely be sharp edges around the hole. take precautions to protect the insulation on the power line coming in. don't let the insulation be worn down or cut. you don't want it touching the metal of the car.