5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP!....berk intake problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 10:36 AM

HELP!....berk intake problems

...i dont know if anyone else has had these problems but i installed the berk intake today and the mounting bracket that comes with it is pretty crappy....it forces where the throttle body connects to the maf adaptor to not fit correctly....its pointint way too far down i think and then i started the engine to listen and its a REALLY loud hissing....like when you shut the hood its still way too loud for an idle, so i think something is leaking or something....is there any better way to mount it or keep it straight instead of sagging down...that mounting brackets sucks...someone please help...im so lost...
Old 07-07-2002, 10:47 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: HELP!....berk intake problems

Originally posted by MDCBarks10
...i dont know if anyone else has had these problems but i installed the berk intake today and the mounting bracket that comes with it is pretty crappy....it forces where the throttle body connects to the maf adaptor to not fit correctly....its pointint way too far down i think and then i started the engine to listen and its a REALLY loud hissing....like when you shut the hood its still way too loud for an idle, so i think something is leaking or something....is there any better way to mount it or keep it straight instead of sagging down...that mounting brackets sucks...someone please help...im so lost...
That bracket fit pefectly for me... Also, you can easily adjust where the MAF points by angling it. I had to do this after installing the midpipe. It should hiss a wee bit. It's an air intake.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: HELP!....berk intake problems

Originally posted by MDCBarks10
You should check, thoroughly, for leaks in the intake. However, given that you have the Berk, I'm guessing there are no leaks since there isn't much to the Berk intake. The hissing is normal. All of the POP-style intakes have a pretty audible hissing sound at idle.

Try finding a different hole to attach the bracket with. You should be able to use any of the holes left open by the removal of the stock airbox. See if another fits better.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:52 AM

do you need to move the MAF sensor in order to install the Berk?
Old 07-07-2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by 2001SE
do you need to move the MAF sensor in order to install the Berk?
It makes it a hell of a lot easier to attach the filter if you remove the MAF Unit. The Berk is merely an adaptor on the end of the MAF Unit with a filter attached. If you can manage to detach the stock airbox from the MAF Unit and attach the Berk adaptor without taking the MAF Unit out of the car, go for it.

I have no idea why you would want to do that, since it is infinitely easier to do this install if you remove the MAF Unit.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:44 PM

I installed my new Berk intake today, too! I took me a couple of minutes to figure out how it fits with the big stainless steel bracket that attaches to the engine bay, but once I got it on, and attached the filter it was alllll good. If you have a LOUD hissing sound, you have a seal that is not air tight (the intake hisses a lil'); If I were you I would follow the instructions exactly as they are written (taking out the MAF is the best way). you can PM me if you have any questions....I'm going to go get some groceries in my "grocery getter".......growwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwl!
Old 07-07-2002, 05:52 PM

but if you take out the MAF , then the MAF sensor might fail after a while like people experinced here right?
Old 07-07-2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by 2001SE
but if you take out the MAF , then the MAF sensor might fail after a while like people experinced here right?
So far I've removed and reinstalled my MAF three times without a sensor problem.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You just have to handle it correctly..
Old 07-07-2002, 07:38 PM

directions

as the direction indicate you nedd to disconnect the battery before doing anything. Then when you're alllllll done, reconnect the battery. The computer will never know

enjoy
Old 07-07-2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by bmwdriven
You just have to handle it correctly..
Yeah, just don't bang the thing around. It is a sensitive device, so treat it right and you'll be fine.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:15 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Treat it like you would treat your Vivid Video Collection....
Old 07-07-2002, 09:06 PM
lcf

Originally posted by kloogy
Treat it like you would treat your Vivid Video Collection....