5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Max Vs 'Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Vipers used to not handle that great. I know they have made them better and the new 2003 Viper would probubly come very close. There are things that probubly can come close and even tie the Z06, but is there anything that can OUThandle it?
Vipers used to not handle great???? Where do you come up with this stuff??
Old 07-08-2002, 04:20 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Vs 'Vette

Originally posted by MichaelAE

My man, if a FWD mini-van spanked a Z28, then the Max has a chance against a Vette.
Kind of like the Pinto I saw running 10's at the track ....
Old 07-08-2002, 04:21 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Back in the early 90's...when I mean not great I mean for $70,000 they could have done better.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No, he's right. Compared to other supercar-types, the Viper wasn't on the top of the list. I read a lot of reviews which suggested as much in the early 90's when the Viper was going up against the supercars and street bikes for track titles. It is still the ultimate American muscle car of the day. I'd take a Viper over a Vette anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

No, he's right. Compared to other supercar-types, the Viper wasn't on the top of the list. I read a lot of reviews which suggested as much in the early 90's when the Viper was going up against the supercars and street bikes for track titles. It is still the ultimate American muscle car of the day. I'd take a Viper over a Vette anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
The Viper didnt change that much in handling until next year when the new model comes out. The Viper has ALWAYS been a top notch handling car compared Exotics and such. It might not have beaten them, but it was still on par for lots of money less. I remember reading that same article u are referring to about the street bikes. You forgot to mentio that the Viper BEAT the Superbike (Dont know which model) on the roadcourse. This article was in C&D in the Mid 90s.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:31 PM

Geez guys. Nobody ever said anything about a Z06 - aside from the price.

His inquiry was pretty simple - if you spent a ton of money can you make a max as fast as a vette. It was pretty clear to me he was talking about straight line racing against a regular production vette.

The answer is very simple - yes - for less money than a Z06 - slap a big shot of nitrous on a 2k2/2k3 or run some serious boost plus nitrous on an earlier gen and a max can win a 1/4mi drag race. (We've got several people on this board who have maximas that will beat a regular production vette in the 1/4).

For crying out loud every time I go to the track I see different guys there running 12s in imports. Last two time I raced a type r running a huge shot and he broke 12s. The time before that it was a gti running I believe a s/c and he ran low 12s with slicks.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that you can take a maxima and make it into an all around better sports car than a vette.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
I agree with Kloogy...I thought this thread was a joke at first...Nothing can outhandle the Z06 and for God's sake we are comparing a freaking 24k mid sized sedan with a World Class sports car. The ONLY Nissan that would have a chance stock against a z06 in both the auto-cross and 1/4th would be the Twin turbo skyline, and even then it would probubly still lose.

Let's compare our minima's to lesser vehicles, like Impala's, Marauders, Anything honda, Acura's,....but Z06's? No.
It's a bit OT, but has anyone seen one of the 1300+HP Skyline's in real life?
Old 07-08-2002, 07:22 PM

Re: Re: Max Vs 'Vette

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Ok with the amount of money you will need and with the right mods then maybe...but think what if you do put all that time and energy into making you max to the extreme and the corvette still out powres you...then think how angry you will be Is it worth it?
Old 07-08-2002, 08:55 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Max Vs 'Vette

Originally posted by Max Evol X
My friend has been going on about the benefits of American Muscle. How well can a 2003 Max do against a stock Corvette after modding the Max to the price level of a Z06?
the absolute peak power that a max can produce, will make it run about even if not slightly faster then a STOCK 2002 ZO6. id rather get a Z06. u reall would have to be subborn to try to beat a corvette Z06, or just plain rich. probably both, it can be done but its not worth it, not to me anyway.

Old 07-08-2002, 09:16 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

the absolute peak power that a max can produce, will make it run about even if not slightly faster then a STOCK 2002 ZO6. id rather get a Z06. u reall would have to be subborn to try to beat a corvette Z06, or just plain rich. probably both, it can be done but its not worth it, not to me anyway.
I will post this once more. The guy was really talking about straight line performance. As I stated earlier, for as little as $1600 over the cost of the 2003 Maxima the Z06 can be beaten. Stock intake, stock bottom end, stock exhaust, stock ECU and only a set of ET drag slicks and a 150 to 175 (at the wheels) shot of Nitrous. Just for ***** and grins we can throw in a $650 exhaust system. So now what? We're upto a whopping $2250 investment in a $27k car that can outrun our beloved American flagship sports car in a Japanese 4 door grocery getter. Come on people get a grip. Worse things can happen in life.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
why would someone pay $50 grand for a chevy

Because it performs as well, and sometimes better than cars three times it's cost!!! In my opinion 50k will not buy you a better sports car!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:59 PM

Can an 02 max do...

Can you do a turbo or twin turbos in an 02 max? I'm just wondering because I hear all of you talking about s/c's and not turbos?
Old 07-08-2002, 11:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Max Vs 'Vette

Originally posted by SR20DEN

I will post this once more. The guy was really talking about straight line performance. As I stated earlier, for as little as $1600 over the cost of the 2003 Maxima the Z06 can be beaten. Stock intake, stock bottom end, stock exhaust, stock ECU and only a set of ET drag slicks and a 150 to 175 (at the wheels) shot of Nitrous. Just for ***** and grins we can throw in a $650 exhaust system. So now what? We're upto a whopping $2250 investment in a $27k car that can outrun our beloved American flagship sports car in a Japanese 4 door grocery getter. Come on people get a grip. Worse things can happen in life.
You will only be able to run a 175 shot once. I guarentee that you will fry some rings or blow the engine with that amount of nitrous. SX7R or MardiGrasMax if your reading, whats your opinion???
Old 07-09-2002, 05:14 AM
VQ Wizard

You will only be able to run a 175 shot once. I guarentee that you will fry some rings or blow the engine with that amount of nitrous. SX7R or MardiGrasMax if your reading, whats your opinion???
I am just curious as to how you can guarentee this when you havent tried it for yourself? I am running a .120" Nirtous jet in my Nitrous system now which is wide open for that setup. According to NOS it's supposed to be a 175 shot (at the crank). When I upgrade my nitrous system again I will be attemtping higher nitrous levels.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:38 AM
Blu
the tits

well matthew has done it probably 20 times now and his engine still run perfect so go figure he is SR20DEN by the way

Old 07-09-2002, 06:45 AM

Re: Dodge Caravan

I couldnt find the link but since it's such a small video I will post it.

Here

I know what the guy in the Z28 is doing
Funny stuff... even my coworkers enjoyed the mmpeg of the z28 spanked...
Old 07-09-2002, 10:11 AM

Re: Re: Dodge Caravan

Originally posted by Max Evol X

Funny stuff... even my coworkers enjoyed the mmpeg of the z28 spanked...
That is funny but it is only a LT1 Camaro, good for 14s. That would be another story with an LS1 Camaro good for low 13s and an occasional 12.9 on street tires bone stock.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:26 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Dodge Caravan

well wouldn't you get ****ed if you got beat by a minivan

Originally posted by Maximam

That is funny but it is only a LT1 Camaro, good for 14s. That would be another story with an LS1 Camaro good for low 13s and an occasional 12.9 on street tires bone stock.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dodge Caravan

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
well wouldn't you get ****ed if you got beat by a minivan

Yep! I sure would. A 2k2 Maxima could beat a LT1 Camaro though.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Vs 'Vette

I am just curious as to how you can guarentee this when you havent tried it for yourself? I am running a .120" Nirtous jet in my Nitrous system now which is wide open for that setup. According to NOS it's supposed to be a 175 shot (at the crank). When I upgrade my nitrous system again I will be attemtping higher nitrous levels.

Ok...Was that dyno with your "175" shot. If it is there is no way you are running a 175 shot, but more like a 100 shot. 313 to the wheels is 360 at the crank, which is 100 over the rating Nissan gave the 3.5VQ. Are you running a Dry or Wet kit?? I read here from somone that the Dry kit is only good for about a 120 shot, then flow becomes a problem.

As for longevity, I honestly dont think that the engine or drivetrain will be able to handle a true 175 shot for very long. A Blackstone oil analysis would be a good start to determining what harm is being done to the engine.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:41 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Vs 'Vette

Ok...Was that dyno with your "175" shot. If it is there is no way you are running a 175 shot, but more like a 100 shot. 313 to the wheels is 360 at the crank, which is 100 over the rating Nissan gave the 3.5VQ. Are you running a Dry or Wet kit?? I read here from somone that the Dry kit is only good for about a 120 shot, then flow becomes a problem.

As for longevity, I honestly dont think that the engine or drivetrain will be able to handle a true 175 shot for very long. A Blackstone oil analysis would be a good start to determining what harm is being done to the engine.
Apparently my dry kit is only good for a 103 shot at the wheels. Maybe you misread the part where i said NOS rated the flow as a 175 shot at the CRANKSHAFT. And as far as longevity, perhaps you have experience with Honda or something and are used to seeing high hp failures. Besides that, I do NOT use 5w-30 motor oil but 10w-30.

Also, my car only put down 200hp at the wheels when it was stock. That 255 ( CRANKSHAFT )number that Nissan is spilling out is a load of BS. So, do the math for yourself and perhaps you'll notice why I only advertise it as being a 125 shot on my sig.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Vs 'Vette

Apparently my dry kit is only good for a 103 shot at the wheels. Maybe you misread the part where i said NOS rated the flow as a 175 shot at the CRANKSHAFT. And as far as longevity, perhaps you have experience with Honda or something and are used to seeing high hp failures. Besides that, I do NOT use 5w-30 motor oil but 10w-30.

Also, my car only put down 200hp at the wheels when it was stock. That 255 ( CRANKSHAFT )number that Nissan is spilling out is a load of BS. So, do the math for yourself and perhaps you'll notice why I only advertise it as being a 125 shot on my sig.
I get NX and NOS rating mixed up. NOS rates their kit to the crank correct??

As for a 175 shot, I give you credit if it works and for having the courage to try that out. I personally would worry about longevity b/c the drivetrain isnt designed for that instantaneous amount of HP and even worse the massive tq hit associated with nitrous. I would think that the clutch, differential, and tranny itself will not last very long. These parts werent designed from the factory for that kind of stress.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:16 PM
VQ Wizard

N O S on Maxima

I get NX and NOS rating mixed up. NOS rates their kit to the crank correct??

As for a 175 shot, I give you credit if it works and for having the courage to try that out. I personally would worry about longevity b/c the drivetrain isnt designed for that instantaneous amount of HP and even worse the massive tq hit associated with nitrous. I would think that the clutch, differential, and tranny itself will not last very long. These parts werent designed from the factory for that kind of stress.
The Clutch, tranny and differential appear to take the abuse very well. All the other Nissans I have used Nitrous on have taken it well except for the clutches. The Clutch in this car doesn't even appear to slip when I powershift to any gear at any RPM. I do intend to upgrade the system to a direct port fogger within the next few months because I have run into the limits of the dry setup. My goal is simple reach 400fwhp, 11.99 (whichever comes last, I don't think either have been done) or blow it up trying. I may be too late though because there are other people in the org who are much closer to that than me.
I do probably need to upgrade the exhaust system very soon. The exhaust valves can't be too appreciative of those two choke points Nissan put in front of and after the resonator.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:28 PM

some of us, like me, don't have too much time or money to spend on our beloved 4door family transportation-grocery getter-and once in-a-while stop light dragsters. It will be amazing when you hit 11.99 Which sports car are in that range again?
good luck in obtaining your goals......
Old 07-09-2002, 03:43 PM

i think we're all missing the point here. take a 2k2 maxima, and spend 20G to make it outperform a vetter. With 20g to play around with, i actually don't think it would be that difficult. New tires, new suspension, drag slicks - now you can get the power to the ground. import a skyline engine and shoehorn it in, for the 15G you have left, that shouldn't be too hard. now, take a couple extra grand and get a level ten tranny. bang - you have a car maxima that looks very stock outside (except maybe a huge hood bulge for the skyline twin turbo engine) that will beat a z06...
Old 07-09-2002, 06:54 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Max Vs 'Vette

I will post this once more. The guy was really talking about straight line performance.
i was talkin about straight line performance as well, the max cant touch the Z06 handeling. what u say is in a way true, but only a few can actually accomplish this, Ferhan is a pretty damn good example but hes spent a boatload, but that is one crazy ride hes got. now ur not too far behind at all to tell u the truth, but even if u do get a n20 shot of 150-175 at the wheels. ur doin it all to catch up to a car that is stock. and bottom line is its still a stock car, and u dont have too many other options left, even if the cash spent is what u stated. and yeah thats an very respectable amount of power and speed, especially in a 4dr car. but some things even i will say u can not compare a max too, u can beat a stock non-z06 vette in ur ride with ur current setup that no lie with ur #'s. but once again the Z06 is still the Z06. even with slicks n20, intake, exhaust, ext.... the vette will still come out on top with dot slicks, not to mention what will happen if its modded. now the max can be modded to a very respectable level, but that level is still near the base of the Z06 starts. how often do we hear of a max runnin low's, it is very possible, its happened before. but can u tell me what u can do to a max to will make it catch up to a S/C Z06 with approx 600hp runnin 11.0 on street tires? there is aslo a twin turbo option as well that hits low 9's im sure u know about all this. the prices u gave do not apply to all people, i have a 2k1 auto, and im gonna have to spend alot more then that to accompish #'s like urs. but i like the way my ride is at this time, im not done moddin yet but i wont try to go to the level ur at, with all due respect ur ride is fast but still its no small feat to beat the Z06. (mybad i really draged this 1 on )

Old 07-09-2002, 07:10 PM

ok ok ok.......no more fussing. The vette you quoted was a ZO6. There are very few of those on the road. The reg. vette will probably run a 13.4 . I've seen morons at the dragstrip running 14's, and 15's. If you get one in an auto, make sure your rolling when you race, and have some nitrous. 13.4 is with a GOOD driver too. No mistakes. Vettes are very hard to launch with a stick. But what would be the best part about beating a vette?! having you nad your friend with two chicks in back beat the **** out of a vette with two dudes in it. Even if you lost, your still going home with CHICKS, cause you just remembered you have 4-DOORS!!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 07:35 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by Max_Gator
I agree with SR20, although I'm not sure you can get there with just nitrous.

Also, what's the big deal - why give the guy a hard time.

He didn't say he was going to race a Z06 - he said stock vette.

If he asked - what would it take for me to run low 13s (and I've got 20k to spend). I'm certain there would be lots of input.

By the way, did you guys forget about Kev? Didn't he run sub 13s? MardiGras too?
Hell, Kev ran with a 911 once if I remember correctly. Am I right Kev?

Old 07-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Can an 02 max do...

Originally posted by Luke Moore
Can you do a turbo or twin turbos in an 02 max? I'm just wondering because I hear all of you talking about s/c's and not turbos?
Anyone could build you a custom turbo kit for the $20,000 you'd save with the Maxima.

Old 07-09-2002, 07:44 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

but can u tell me what u can do to a max to will make it catch up to a S/C Z06 with approx 600hp runnin 11.0 on street tires? there is aslo a twin turbo option as well that hits low 9's im sure u know about all this. (mybad i really draged this 1 on )
LOL Whoa man, hold up a sec. Yeah I know what would happen to all my fun if I beat a stock Z06 then got my teeth kicked in by a modded one. I really didn't even want that to come up as part of the equation. All I really wanted to explain to people was that it can be done and for less money than one might think. And in the end you could outrun (straightline) a Z06 for alot less money than it cost to buy the Z06. Now if I actually had $50k to spend on an automobile I kinda doubt I would be driving a Maxima. In all reality I bet most of you people wouldn't have one either. I probably would be driving a Z06 or a M3. I also didn't even mention handling or a road course because in that debate the Z06 would be the cheaper ride for that kind of performance plateau.
Talking about the morons, I have seen them at the track. Such as the one guy running his viper on a 1/8th mile track running low 9's. That equates to about mid 13's in the 1/4.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by maximadriven
It can be done. Immediately, you would have to bulletproof the bottom end of the engine, install new "everything" for engine components and then install NOS spraying at 175 and Supercharging it with 16lbs of boost. As long as the tranny doesnt blow, which it probably will, you may be able to take him.. It would probably yeild close to 600hp, while its being sprayed, with all the engine and exhaust mods.
Oh yeah? Is this your professional opinion?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:17 AM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Max Vs 'Vette

LOL Whoa man, hold up a sec. Yeah I know what would happen to all my fun if I beat a stock Z06 then got my teeth kicked in by a modded one. I really didn't even want that to come up as part of the equation. All I really wanted to explain to people was that it can be done and for less money than one might think. And in the end you could outrun (straightline) a Z06 for alot less money than it cost to buy the Z06. Now if I actually had $50k to spend on an automobile I kinda doubt I would be driving a Maxima. In all reality I bet most of you people wouldn't have one either. I probably would be driving a Z06 or a M3. I also didn't even mention handling or a road course because in that debate the Z06 would be the cheaper ride for that kind of performance plateau.
Talking about the morons, I have seen them at the track. Such as the one guy running his viper on a 1/8th mile track running low 9's. That equates to about mid 13's in the 1/4.
im not gonna argue, u do have a point, but people like me cant do it at that price. u have a 2k2 with an intake and a Sh!tload of N20 runnin in that thing. if the driver is a moron yeah ull blow right my them. and yeah i would rather be driving a new Z06 or M3 as well, but u do have a very good point.