5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Holy sh!t, I hit a friggen HUGE tire on the hwy last night!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 11:54 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Holy ****, I hit a friggen HUGE tire on the hwy last night!

My first windshield chip last trip home and now a friggen tire this trip.

I'm hauling **** along in traffic trying to get through the moving road blocks when I see something HUGE bouncing down the middle of the two westbound lanes being thrown around as cars run into it. All of a sudden, I realize it's pretty much the complete tread of a HUGE *** tire. So, I think I'm clear when a truck in the next lane hits it and throws it right into me. Then it hits the front of the car and goes underneath both right tires. Damn I sure wish my car bra was on! Anyways, I was pretty much trying to keep from road raging the rest of the trip, while I was imagining the worst possible damage. I should have been more concerned whether I had any tire damage instead, but of course I didn't.

So, I get home an hour later and I pull out a flashlight to see the damage and I can say I'm pretty sure it's minimal. There are some nasty greasy smudges all along the bottom lip of the front bumper below and next to my fog light. However, I couldn't really see too much last night, but today after work I'll check it out closer to see if anything else down the side of the car or up front got damaged.

I just thought I would share my bad news, but I'd say so far I think I was extremely fortunate.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:14 PM

That sucks

unfortunately when a big rig loses a tire it is generally a huge amount of tread.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:33 PM

Re: That sucks

Originally posted by Blackgums100
unfortunately when a big rig loses a tire it is generally a huge amount of tread.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:42 PM

Re: Re: That sucks

Originally posted by Pmp-n8a

OT...How much have you put into your max. Have you ran it or dynoed it yet? Sounds like you put in some work.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: That sucks

Originally posted by Menacer
OT...How much have you put into your max. Have you ran it or dynoed it yet? Sounds like you put in some work.
No thread hijacking!

Old 07-08-2002, 03:59 PM

thank god you werent hurt, most big rig drivers iratate me, hell just today we had one turn over in my front yard and theres wood chips everywhere he was driving to fast when he went into the curve and lost it literaly luckly he wast hurt and luckly i had finished cutting the grass on that part of the yard no more than 5 mins before it happened
Old 07-08-2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by djPlayboy
thank god you werent hurt, most big rig drivers iratate me, hell just today we had one turn over in my front yard and theres wood chips everywhere he was driving to fast when he went into the curve and lost it literaly luckly he wast hurt and luckly i had finished cutting the grass on that part of the yard no more than 5 mins before it happened
Yeah, I hear ya now, but last night all I was worried about was the damage and of course the fact I would have to pay out of pocket since my deductible is high because of some d!ck heads road trash.

Anyways, I'm just pleased nothing serious happened both damage and safety wise. I don't think I could have took the hit any better(besides missing it!), but I will not know the full extent of the damage until I wash all the black smudges off to see what paint damage is underneath. I believe most of it will be covered up once I get a front lip eventually.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:40 PM

Road debris sucks.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: That sucks

Originally posted by Menacer
Uhhhh at this point....over 10k?? Including rims, kit, performance parts etc.etc.etc Im pretty content with just a subwoofer...although ive been pondering a TV even more since the NE meet

Im expecting 355-375 hp and mid to high 12 second slips at the track

Ill post up the oil analysis and dyno sheets once i get them done
Old 07-08-2002, 08:21 PM

I hit a tread the other day....gouged up the lip of my spoiler on the front right pretty good....I guess I'm lucky the damage is down low....

58K I guess I'm past the point of caring about the car to get all piseed off like it was brand new....
Old 07-09-2002, 06:24 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Glad you're alright.

New paint job!
Old 07-09-2002, 06:48 AM

Re: Holy ****, I hit a friggen HUGE tire on the hwy last night!

Originally posted by IceY2K1
My first windshield chip last trip home and now a friggen tire this trip.

I'm hauling **** along in traffic trying to get through the moving road blocks when I see something HUGE bouncing down the middle of the two westbound lanes being thrown around as cars run into it. All of a sudden, I realize it's pretty much the complete tread of a HUGE *** tire. So, I think I'm clear when a truck in the next lane hits it and throws it right into me. Then it hits the front of the car and goes underneath both right tires. Damn I sure wish my car bra was on! Anyways, I was pretty much trying to keep from road raging the rest of the trip, while I was imagining the worst possible damage. I should have been more concerned whether I had any tire damage instead, but of course I didn't.

So, I get home an hour later and I pull out a flashlight to see the damage and I can say I'm pretty sure it's minimal. There are some nasty greasy smudges all along the bottom lip of the front bumper below and next to my fog light. However, I couldn't really see too much last night, but today after work I'll check it out closer to see if anything else down the side of the car or up front got damaged.

I just thought I would share my bad news, but I'd say so far I think I was extremely fortunate.
Man, Praise GOD that you weren't hurt and your car really didn't get damaged. because I saw a accident like that around in my area and atleast 5-7 car crashed into one another, Through God's grace no-one was severely hurt, but every vehicle was considered to be totalled. Hey guys, what I'm saying may not mean a thing to you, but be careful out there!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Glad you're alright.

New paint job!

I hear ya!

I was thinking of fixing all the paint chips once I have the Stillen kit anyways, so I'd just get it all painted at once to match.