5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

in cabin microfilter ?? AC smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 02:15 PM

in cabin microfilter ?? AC smell

Where is the in cabin microfilter? is it easy to change?

My Ac smell musty when i turn it off... what can i do to get rid of it????
Old 07-08-2002, 02:16 PM
jjs

Re: in cabin microfilter ?? AC smell

Originally posted by jcphamer
Where is the in cabin microfilter? is it easy to change?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...binfilter.html
Old 07-08-2002, 04:34 PM

My 2000 SE did this.. AC got REALLY stinky after the first 10,000 miles, and would last for at least 5 minutes before it would fade.
I used to try to run it on economy to dry out the unit, but the stinkies never went away. Somedays it would make me sick!

My 2002 GLE is just starting to smell.. trying to do the dry-out in econo mode to avoid it, but I think it will be back.

There's nothing special about where I live.. and my 93 NEVER smelled.

I saw a spray somewhere in the internet, it's supposed to kill the AC odors after you spray it in the underhood fresh air intake.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:41 PM

Try running it on recirc. You will be dehumidifing (sp?) the air the is already cool inside the car.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:41 PM

I've read an article that said to spray a whole can of Lysol into the outside vents below the windshield while running your a/c. I have around 13K and mine is doing the same thing but I haven't tried the Lysol solution yet. I used to own an 300ZX that had the same problem. It seems to help to turn the a/c to "econ" and letting it run before turning off the car.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
Try running it on recirc. You will be dehumidifing (sp?) the air the is already cool inside the car.
This won't make any difference as the air is still passing through the stinky cooling coils.. been there done that.

Apparently bacteria attaches to the coils and feeds off the humid environment.. they grow when the car is idle.

Why this happens in some cars and not others I don't understand, perhaps it's because of the design.

HOW MANY people have 2K+ maximas that DON'T STINK? (with at least 5000-10000 miles on them)?????????????????????????????????
Old 07-09-2002, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by pvaudo
HOW MANY people have 2K+ maximas that DON'T STINK? (with at least 5000-10000 miles on them)?????????????????????????????????
No stink, 16 months and 23K. (Only getting around to replacing my filter this week, though. )

I run the A/C every week or so through the year, so maybe it dries the system during the winter?

Do you live in a particularly moldy place? (Seriously, like around a farm.)
Old 07-09-2002, 05:24 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I have 2 that stink. Both have around 30K miles.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:52 AM

I have had no problems at 26K (2 years old) and the car smells very clean. I do not use recirculation since I always want fresh air coming in. I change my in-cabin filters religiously, too. I live in the South.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:33 AM

2 years old this July - 31k miles and no stink. Have only had a filter in since last August - will change this August - (knocking on wood), never had a stink.

Oh, and I live in the middle - Midwest (as opposed to upper midwest)
Old 07-09-2002, 06:50 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Lysol or any other spray in your vents products will do nothing to fix your problem. You must clean the evaporator coils of all bacteria.

Try this product. http://www.keep-it-kool.com/treat/treatment.html
Old 07-09-2002, 09:37 PM

Try running the HEAT on FULL BLAST for 5-10 minutes... (get out of the car, of course)

This has worked for me on older cars.

G
Old 07-09-2002, 09:48 PM

I'm on my 2nd 5th Gen Maxima and no stink! Are you reffering to that slightly musty AC smell when it first starts up? That's normal. You get the same smell from a home A/C too. If the must continues after a minute or two then there is a prob.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
I'm on my 2nd 5th Gen Maxima and no stink! Are you reffering to that slightly musty AC smell when it first starts up? That's normal. You get the same smell from a home A/C too. If the must continues after a minute or two then there is a prob.
I don't think it's normal... My 2002 and possibly my 2002 are the very first times I've EVER had AC must odor. (I've been around for a while)

Did some reading...
It seems an important thing is to make sure the DRAIN in the AC is OPEN. It can be clogged by small debris. Does anyone have an FSM and can look up what the AC drain looks like? And if there is any access to it? Maybe if we clear these, the AC will drain and smell will go away?
Old 07-10-2002, 06:31 AM

How I know my car got in cabin micro-filter?

This might sound silly, butta I'm not sure if my Max has a in cabin micro-filter. (2k SE when it first came out). I don't think it does, but when I asked my dealer if they would install it or something, it'll cost like $200. Do I just need to get the filter and just jam the filter in, or must the car be set up to accept these filters.

Want to get all the dust out of the air...
Old 07-10-2002, 06:44 AM
BuddyWh

... My Ac smell musty when i turn it off... what can i do to get rid of it????
The microfilter is behind the glove box, which has to be removed when replacing it. Your new filter will have intructions.

The musty smell is probably from mold/mildew growing in the area of the evaporator coils, where moisture condenses and collects. My 92 Integra also had this really bad even though we live in a desert. Avoid running the AC in recirculation mode and try to turn the AC off, leaving the outside air blowing in on high, a few minutes before turning off car to dry out the evaporator coils and box.

The idea about running the heater on high for a few minutes sounds good too... if the heater core is before the evap. coils in the air flow. Anybody know this for sure?

Some detailers clean and sanitize the ducts and coils, killing mold and mildew. If the molds are upsetting your allergies, like my wife was, you might find this is needed. It's not cheap, but not as expensive as I thought it would be. Around $50 where I live but I had to have it done every summer, about mid season.

Good Luck
BuddyWh

Old 07-10-2002, 02:05 PM

Re: How I know my car got in cabin micro-filter?

Originally posted by Max Evol X
This might sound silly, butta I'm not sure if my Max has a in cabin micro-filter. (2k SE when it first came out\
MaxEvol X-

The 2000 doesn't come with a filter, but it does have room for it.
I got mine for $50 (kit is actually two filters, one sits on the other)

I am led to believe that for 2002 the filter is already there, but you'd never know it from my dusty black dash!

P.S. when I said my AC smell was bad, I didn't mean musty.. I meant sickeningly musty (that was the 2000. I think the 2002 is on it's way to smelling bad also, it's just hinting at it...)
Old 07-11-2002, 05:06 AM

Where to get a cabin micro-filter?

MaxEvol X-

The 2000 doesn't come with a filter, but it does have room for it.
I got mine for $50 (kit is actually two filters, one sits on the other)

I am led to believe that for 2002 the filter is already there, but you'd never know it from my dusty black dash!

P.S. when I said my AC smell was bad, I didn't mean musty.. I meant sickeningly musty (that was the 2000. I think the 2002 is on it's way to smelling bad also, it's just hinting at it...)
Since I don't have, where can I get one to install myself? Want to reduce the amount of dust on my dash too... Dust and bunnies are rampant where I live... (NyC)
Old 07-11-2002, 06:02 AM

I'm glad I came accross this post, becuase my AC is just starting to smell and I have about 60,000 miles on it. I'm going to checkout www.keepitkool.com

Old 07-12-2002, 12:12 AM

Re: How I know my car got in cabin micro-filter?

Originally posted by Max Evol X
This might sound silly, butta I'm not sure if my Max has a in cabin micro-filter. (2k SE when it first came out). I don't think it does, but when I asked my dealer if they would install it or something, it'll cost like $200. Do I just need to get the filter and just jam the filter in, or must the car be set up to accept these filters.

Want to get all the dust out of the air...
$200? Yikes. It was $49 factory option. (If you have a filter, there should be a sticker saying so on your glovebox door.)

All 5th gen maxes can take the micro-filter. I just ordered my replacement from courtesy for $44.95. Comes with instructions. See here:http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...binfilter.html
And here:http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=B7200-00005
You just have to drop your glovebox without setting off the passenger side airbag. (j/k)

If you don't think you can do it after reading the instructions, you should turn in your screwdriver...
Old 07-12-2002, 12:46 PM

Smell from my A/C went from just musty to vinegary.....decided to check for a filter....no filter.....but it looked like a small family of beavers were building a nest in the slot where the filter goes
Old 07-12-2002, 01:14 PM

Glove Box Sag?

One question, I attempted this on my BMW and it was a nightmare. The filter was so difficult to get at that I couldnt replace it. Then I reassembled my glove box and the door would sag really bad. Im just scared that the glovebox wont go back together perfectly because of my previous experience with my BMW.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:16 PM

Re: Glove Box Sag?

Originally posted by maximadriven
One question, I attempted this on my BMW and it was a nightmare. The filter was so difficult to get at that I couldnt replace it. Then I reassembled my glove box and the door would sag really bad. Im just scared that the glovebox wont go back together perfectly because of my previous experience with my BMW.
It'll go back perfectly, nothing to worry about. Just be careful with air bag socket - the one with yellow wires. Don't know for sure but someone mentioned that socket can't be unplugged - it'll damage SRS system ??? It would be nice if somebody could confirm/object that. Even with this issue it's still easy job you'll need screwdriver only.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:47 AM

Damn.. only 1500 miles and the smel is already starting to get WORSE.

I'm starting to think there IS no drain in my car. Anyway, got a 2000 ESM and will look to see if there is.. mine's a 2002 but should be the same AC (the 2000 AC stunk)
Old 07-13-2002, 08:08 AM

Did some reading today from the 2000 FSM (though I drive a 2002).
It seems there is a drain on the box, at the front of the evaporator and forward of the blower motor. Not sure if it's in or out of passenger compartment, but a hose runs out of it.

The only time the FSM mentions the drain is for sticking a leak sensor in there, to make sure dirt doesn't get onto the leak sensor. So you know they are expecting debris to accumulate there..

Looking at the diagram, the drain appears to be part of a diaphram or actuator or something, so I don't know if it's an 'open' drain or something that purges once in a while.

In any case, tomorrow I'm going to spend some time looking it over and will let you know what I see.. I'm hoping it's clogged or something (though doubtful with my low mileage)

I may also check to see if there is indeed a air filter in my 2002.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:02 AM

That stuff would be behind and below the glove box. Turn your AC fan on and stick your head under the glove box and listen for the fan: that would be the location of the AC stuff.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:02 AM

This won't make any difference as the air is still passing through the stinky cooling coils.. been there done that.

Apparently bacteria attaches to the coils and feeds off the humid environment.. they grow when the car is idle.

Why this happens in some cars and not others I don't understand, perhaps it's because of the design.

Got a 2k SE. Been driving it for 36 K... never stank!
Old 07-15-2002, 08:09 AM
jjs

Just a thought, but...

which of those cars that stink have what build date?

I am wondering if the build date/transportation date (and related climatic conditions of the ocean voyage) might have some impact on why certain cars 'stink' while others don't, particularly from the same model and plant...

Hmmm...

Not sure if this merits an acutal POLL post, but it would be interesting to see if there is a pattern...
Old 07-15-2002, 08:23 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

once..

I thought I had a problem like this in an older honda I had.. turns out a neyb cat was urinating on my vents. Now *that* stunk. I had to run water into the vents (and out the drain) for about an hour to get the stink to stop. damn cat.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:24 AM

They all have the compartment for the activated carbon filter elements. My Y2k (bought in July 99) has it. It will take about a half hour to change the filter the first time through and maybe 15 minutes thereafter. It is behind the glove box and you have to take part of the glove box apart to change the element. The instructions come with the filter and are also on-line at Courtesy parts.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:29 PM

If you are using the a/c, about 5-10 minutes from your destination, you should turn off the a/c. Warm air and the movement of the car will help evaporate/remove the condensed water on the coils and avoid the growth of the bacteria.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Subw00er
If you are using the a/c, about 5-10 minutes from your destination, you should turn off the a/c. Warm air and the movement of the car will help evaporate/remove the condensed water on the coils and avoid the growth of the bacteria.
I made this standard practice in my 00SE, but it didn't noticeably help. I do it today in my 02GLE in the hopes of preventing the stink, but slowly I notice it more each day.

I didn't have time this weekend to inspect the drain as I mentioned earlier...

also, I did check, the sticker in my 02 says there IS a filter, but it is a WASHABLE air filter. The filter I bought for my 00SE looked like a dispoable paper filter.

In case anyone cares....
Old 07-15-2002, 04:08 PM

The filter probably won't get rid of the stink since it's primary purpose is to filter dust and pollen. It does have "carbon" in it, which will do some cleaning but probably not enough to "sterilize" or purify the air coming in. That would be interesting if the filters are washable. I've never heard that. It must be unique to an '02.