5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Keyless no longer works, also no interior light, WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002 | 06:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Keyless no longer works, also no interior light, WHY?

Well when I was doing my fiberglass sub enclosure and while removing the neons out the trunk that were hooked upto the Trunk light, I shorted it out. I thought no biggie since I will replace the fuse.

I did that, I replaced the ROOM LIGHT fuse. Still the interior Dome light does not come on.

And on top of this, my Keyless Entry has ceased to work. I have litterally pulled out every fuse checked it and replaced it. What in Gods name can this be?

Dixit
Old 07-08-2002 | 06:51 PM

Re: Keyless no longer works, also no interior light, WHY?

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Well when I was doing my fiberglass sub enclosure and while removing the neons out the trunk that were hooked upto the Trunk light, I shorted it out. I thought no biggie since I will replace the fuse.

I did that, I replaced the ROOM LIGHT fuse. Still the interior Dome light does not come on.

And on top of this, my Keyless Entry has ceased to work. I have litterally pulled out every fuse checked it and replaced it. What in Gods name can this be?

Dixit
there was a newbie who had the same problem a couple of weeks back....he was trying to hardwire his radar i think.....i don't know if anyone ever posted an answer to his question....

i found this thread
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=131377

and this
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=131387

kevlo911 did the post...pm him..he may be able to help you out

nette
Old 07-09-2002 | 09:04 AM

Come on now, someone must have information on this? Ms.Thicknes shows me a couple threads but no answer. I emailed people, no responses yet.

More information by the way. When I open the visor to look at the mirror, it throws the "door open" light in the car when it is on. Close the visor to the mirror, the "door open" goes away. Also the same light gets thrown when I try to turn on the dome light from the switch. This is rediculous and driving me nuts.

I pulled every damn fuse and checked it and everyone is fine. Still no keyless entry and no interior dome light.

Dixit
Old 07-09-2002 | 09:11 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

and you've checked all your

under hood fuses?
Old 07-09-2002 | 09:12 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Auuuugh>>>>

Come on now, someone must have information on this? Ms.Thicknes shows me a couple threads but no answer. I emailed people, no responses yet.

More information by the way. When I open the visor to look at the mirror, it throws the "door open" light in the car when it is on. Close the visor to the mirror, the "door open" goes away. Also the same light gets thrown when I try to turn on the dome light from the switch. This is rediculous and driving me nuts.

I pulled every damn fuse and checked it and everyone is fine. Still no keyless entry and no interior dome light.

Dixit
Fried SECU

I'm not sure what else would be linked to all those systems.

What were the neons powered from? Battery? Auxillary wire somewhere?

I'm just stabbing in the dark here. I don't know.
Old 07-09-2002 | 09:15 AM

Re: Auuuugh>>>>

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Fried SECU

I agree with Ice. It's probably the Smart Entrance Unit. Dealer will know what the problem is and probably get you a replacement. I had similar problems while messing around the the ignition light. I ended up frying my SEU.
Old 07-09-2002 | 09:19 AM

TimW: Checked all the fuses, even the ones under the hood.

IceY2K1: Please tell me that is not what I did. All I did was powered my neon rings and one 12" neon from the trunk light bulb. Which gets switched off when the trunk is closed. It has been in there for over months and never had a problem. The only thing I did was when I was removing the neons permanently, I by accidently touched the two wires together off the tap I made to that trunk light and shorted it out.

Now if I shorted out the SECU, that is 100% stupid design. I mean all I did was short out a bulb, that should of in no way gotten all the way to the SECU before frying out the fuse.

Son of a........

Dixit
Old 07-09-2002 | 09:25 AM
swallac2

Re: Auuuugh>>>>

Fried SECU

I would concure, i did that to my Grand Am years ago by shorting the bulb in the trunk. stupid mistake.
Old 07-09-2002 | 09:29 AM

Dixit
or your could try to reset the ecu...maybe that will work??

annddddddddd I know you are gonna hate to hear this...but maybe it's time for a visit to the dealer

i called my service advisor...and he advised me to bring in my car when i told him that mine had your symptoms...so he was no help at all!!!

i'm sorry i ain't helping...sniff sniff
Old 07-09-2002 | 09:38 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yeah..

you have the FSM.. there's no other place all that stuff comes together.. DOH!
Old 07-09-2002 | 09:42 AM

TimW: Checked all the fuses, even the ones under the hood.

IceY2K1: Please tell me that is not what I did. All I did was powered my neon rings and one 12" neon from the trunk light bulb. Which gets switched off when the trunk is closed. It has been in there for over months and never had a problem. The only thing I did was when I was removing the neons permanently, I by accidently touched the two wires together off the tap I made to that trunk light and shorted it out.

Now if I shorted out the SECU, that is 100% stupid design. I mean all I did was short out a bulb, that should of in no way gotten all the way to the SECU before frying out the fuse.

Son of a........

Dixit
I doubt it also, but that's the only thing related between the keyless, dome light, and door light(?) that I can think of. I wouldn't want to have to buy one of those suckers, $$$$$.

I'm surprised the trunk light actually supported all that load, but you've proven once again, it can be done.

I'll look tonight to see what systems the trunk light is connected too.

Hmmmm. Vanity mirror triggers door open light. Newbie mod?
Old 07-10-2002 | 10:14 AM

Still looking into it Dixit...

I did find that SECU terminal 50 provides power for the trunk lamp, dome light, spot lamp, vanity mirror, ignition key hole light, and step lamps.

Are any of these working?

I have a few test procedures to test the SECUs' power supply and ground circuits to see if it's at least receiving power and ground. I'm betting it's NOT and that's why the keyless entry and a lot of other systems controled by the SECU are not working. It would be easier to fax them to you than explain them, so email me your fax number.

Don't worry yet, it could be as simple as a fuse or circuit breaker, I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities. So far, I don't have a clue.
Old 07-10-2002 | 10:24 AM

Re: Still looking into it Dixit...

I did find that SECU terminal 50 provides power for the trunk lamp, dome light, spot lamp, vanity mirror, ignition key hole light, and step lamps.

Are any of these working?

I have a few test procedures to test the SECUs' power supply and ground circuits to see if it's at least receiving power and ground. I'm betting it's NOT and that's why the keyless entry and a lot of other systems controled by the SECU are not working. It would be easier to fax them to you than explain them, so email me your fax number.

Don't worry yet, it could be as simple as a fuse or circuit breaker, I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities. So far, I don't have a clue.
My work fax is 301-586-7667. None of my dome light, step light, vanity lights, key hole lights are working. only thing though I just thought about, the vanity light is VERY VERY DIM.

Dixit
Old 07-10-2002 | 10:29 AM

Re: Keyless no longer works, also no interior light, WHY?

Dixit
I don't mean to bring up the obvious possibility. Have you tried replacing the batteries in your key fob?
Old 07-10-2002 | 10:43 AM

Re: Re: Still looking into it Dixit...

My work fax is 301-586-7667. None of my dome light, step light, vanity lights, key hole lights are working. only thing though I just thought about, the vanity light is VERY VERY DIM.

Dixit
I just sent them.

I have more of the system schematics, but I don't think they will help much till you test the SECU.

If you need help figuring out what pins and wire colors are which, I will have to get back to you tonight. I don't have my notes here.
Old 07-10-2002 | 10:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

While replacing the batteries in the key fob may be a factor in the equation it still doesn't explain the mystery "Door Open" light when the visor is flipped open or the dome light is switched to the "ON" position. I have no idea what it could be?

Resetting the ECU sounds like a good idea. I heard an easy way to reset it without waiting 30 minutes for the thing to reset is disconnect the battery, get inside the car and depress the brake pedal for 15-30 seconds. Now I have no idea if this is true but it's worth a try?

Once again Nissan has thrown us all for a loop!

-Jeorge
Old 07-10-2002 | 10:59 AM

Re: Re: Keyless no longer works, also no interior light, WHY?

Originally posted by MichaelAE

I don't mean to bring up the obvious possibility. Have you tried replacing the batteries in your key fob?
No cause I assume they are not bad for this reason, the power door locks DO NOT work until the car it turned on.

Dixit
Old 08-08-2002 | 11:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Keyless no longer works, also no interior light, WHY?

No cause I assume they are not bad for this reason, the power door locks DO NOT work until the car it turned on.

Dixit
i used to have this same problem, i posted a reply to this... but yesterday the center map light went out so i popped open the bulb thing and now the problems back!!! SAME EXACT SYMPTOMS AS bigdogjonx WTF .. last time infiniti fixed it but they dont have an appt for another week and i would like to fix it... any luck bigdog?
Old 08-08-2002 | 12:17 PM

absolutely no luck. Been driving a car with no keyless and no interior lights.

Dixit
Old 08-08-2002 | 12:33 PM

absolutely no luck. Been driving a car with no keyless and no interior lights.

Dixit
dang that suxx....i was hoping that i would be able to help
Old 07-19-2003 | 11:49 AM
lcf

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=233829
Old 07-19-2003 | 11:54 AM
lcf

BigDogJonx, what you do to fix this problem???
Old 11-26-2007 | 11:11 AM

Please update with possible solutions to the above problem. I looked at all the links posted but nothing.
I have the same situation, except the trunk light on my dash is dimly lit until I turn on the rear defroster and/or the vanity light on visor. The thing that caused it was probably my LED setup in my dome...I heard a buzzing sound from the dome on ACC, turned the ignition and it went out, ever since then nothing works after turning off the car: power locks, keyless, courtesy lamps, dome lamp. Hard to believe all these things draw from one fuse. The trunk lamp always lit is another weird one. Does it indicate a burned bulb in a normal situation when illuminated?

THanks in advance!
-------------
OK, so I double checked all my fuses again and it turned out to be the room lamp fuse under the driver side dash. what I saw in there was a 15A blown but I put in a 10A. I wonder if there was a reason a 15A was in there instead of the OEM recommended 10A...or more likely that the previous owner didn't have 10A available. Thanks anyway. Also weird how that blown fuse caused weird dash illuminations.

Last edited by tsk808; 11-26-2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: solved issue
Old 07-22-2009 | 12:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No Dome light, No Keyless

Late add on into tread, but in my case had all the symptoms above, and it was a 10A fuse, eventhough tested with one of those cheap testers that come at autozone(which showed old fuse was good), I changed it for new 10A in "lamp room" fuse plug, also make sure you are inserting fuse in correct slot, the diagram on the cover of this fuse box is a bit misleading, it shows leaving one space open between the first fuse and this one, and it shouldnt, I was placing the fuse in the wrong slot, after replacing the supossedly working fuse with a new one, evryting is back to working. This is for a 2001-5th Gen.