5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Shocks/ Springs Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 11:46 PM

Shocks/ Springs Question

Right now i have a stock 2001 GXE. I'm interested in dropping it, but not sure exactly what my options are regarding different setups...coilovers etc. Also i want to know what type of $$$ are we looking at to do the various methods and what the alternatives regarding manufactures and compatability.

I'd appreciate any help

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2002, 12:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Shocks/ Springs Question

Originally posted by leenas
Right now i have a stock 2001 GXE. I'm interested in dropping it, but not sure exactly what my options are regarding different setups...coilovers etc. Also i want to know what type of $$$ are we looking at to do the various methods and what the alternatives regarding manufactures and compatability.

I'd appreciate any help

Thanks!
you should use search. but let me give it a try.

shocks : tokicos, koni and KYB.
latter 2 needs to be modified, but they are adjustable.. tokicos are direct replacement, but it is too soft and if u live in an area with lots of potholes, it will die soon.

springs : check out the FAQ thread on the top for drop rate and ride quality.

if u want to use coilover...tokicos are not ur options.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:33 PM

Re: Shocks/ Springs Question

I've been reading up and it seems i can use my stock shocks if i dont drop further that 1.5 inches. Looks like i can get maxxspeeds or eibachs with that drop.

Am i right or wrong?

Also does anyone have pictures of this drop so i can see how low it goes and what is the ride like?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Very sound, Mike

your stock struts should be fine w/ Maxspeeds.

among others, there's Dixit, Dario, Kloogy and Audtatious that's still using the stock struts on aftermarket springs.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:58 PM

I checked out some of their sites. Does anybody have any before/after pictures? Also could anyone answer how the ride would be? I'm going to be putting on some 18" as well if that will play into it.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2002, 04:58 PM

I would, humbly, disagree with [maxi-overdose] on his assertion about Tokico's. Tokico themselves suggest that their "blue" shocks are about 15% stiffer than stock and should handle the spring rates of the drop without "dying" anytime soon even in areas with lots of pot-holes.

It is important to note that NO manufacturer makes an adjustable strut for the 5th gen Maxima. The only adjustables available, Koni and KYB AGX, require modification to fit your car.

I do agree that Tokico's are not an option for adjustable coil-overs if you intend to slam the ride. You would want an adjustable strut that you could stiffen up to the highest setting when you're on the ground with your springs.

My setup is H&R springs with Tokico Blue struts and I am quite happy with this setup as far as ride comfort, performance, and aesthetic value goes.

Oh yeah, and PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:59 PM

I checked out some of their sites. Does anybody have any before/after pictures? Also could anyone answer how the ride would be? I'm going to be putting on some 18" as well if that will play into it.

Thanks
Check out my cardomain page for before and after photos with the H&R springs. Page two for after photos, page four for before photos.

Cardomain Page
Old 07-11-2002, 09:57 AM

Thanks
there are bunch of threads of before and after drops....just search on all maxspeed, eibach, HR.

Michael: you are right about tokicos...they are 15% stiffer than stocks. so its really depends on the spring you choose and the are u live in. tokicos are not recommanded for stiff springs. and the two near stock ride springs that I know are HR and maxspeed.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:39 AM

Re: Re: Shocks/ Springs Question

I've been reading up and it seems i can use my stock shocks if i dont drop further that 1.5 inches. Looks like i can get maxxspeeds or eibachs with that drop.

Am i right or wrong?

Also does anyone have pictures of this drop so i can see how low it goes and what is the ride like?

Thanks!
check out my sig for after maxspeed drop & 18" wheel
Old 07-13-2002, 08:25 PM

KONIs for 5gen in development

FYI- KONI is in the process of developing struts and shocks for the 5th gen Maximas and Infinitis. The 4th gen units are generally similar but not close enough to be really right. May be available by the end of the year.

LeeinKY