5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ticketed by police?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 08:46 AM

ticketed by police?

anyone here get ticketed by police around New York, particularly around NyC for aesthetic or performance mods?

Wanted to get some stuff...

but can't afford the tickets...
Old 07-12-2002, 09:09 AM
Jer

Re: ticketed by police?

lol they can't ticket you for a spoiler or skirts.. so long as none of your mods are a safety hazard for others (ie. a nicely loosened piece of skirt flapping away in the wind and smashing anything in its way, ie. peds :P).

Originally posted by Max Evol X
anyone here get ticketed by police around New York, particularly around NyC for aesthetic or performance mods?

Wanted to get some stuff...

but can't afford the tickets...
Old 07-12-2002, 10:25 AM
I miss the .org!

For certain parts like intake, exhaust, lighting, etc... there are companies that make 50 state legal parts. If you get ones that aren't legal, then anything goes I guess, depending on how much of an a$$ the cop is.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:52 AM

open hood

would that not involve him asking u to open hood and etc?
Old 07-12-2002, 12:04 PM

Re: open hood

Originally posted by Max Evol X
would that not involve him asking u to open hood and etc?

A good freind of mine is a police officer and I ask him about that and he said so many of these car company are producing high performance parts for there vehicles now it's nothing that they can really do.

He said the only things they can really ticket you for speeding, extremely loud noise, certain lights, but that's about all.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:25 AM

Re: Re: open hood

Originally posted by Ghost face Max

A good freind of mine is a police officer and I ask him about that and he said so many of these car company are producing high performance parts for there vehicles now it's nothing that they can really do.

He said the only things they can really ticket you for speeding, extremely loud noise, certain lights, but that's about all.
Not in California!! I don't know if city or county police care about stuff like that, but CHP does! The well-versed CHPs can open your hood and pretty much tell you exactly what's legal and not and cite appropriately. I also might add that almost any aftermarket stuff you do to your exhast and intake may get you a ticket. I think your chances of getting pulled over and inspected is proportionate to your degree of rice.

I think it depends on where you live. In my part of Washington, the cops could care less what mods you do to your car, including intake/exhaust...as long as it's not too loud. Even then you shouldn't have a problem unless you're drawing attention to yourself, if you know what I mean.

Tony
Old 07-13-2002, 09:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: open hood

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Not in California!! I don't know if city or county police care about stuff like that, but CHP does! The well-versed CHPs can open your hood and pretty much tell you exactly what's legal and not and cite appropriately. I also might add that almost any aftermarket stuff you do to your exhast and intake may get you a ticket. I think your chances of getting pulled over and inspected is proportionate to your degree of rice.

I think it depends on where you live. In my part of Washington, the cops could care less what mods you do to your car, including intake/exhaust...as long as it's not too loud. Even then you shouldn't have a problem unless you're drawing attention to yourself, if you know what I mean.

Tony

Then Maybe they do go by where you live. I have to ask my buddy about that.....
Old 07-13-2002, 10:24 AM
I miss the .org!

Re: Re: Re: open hood

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Tony
Yeah I think you're right. Cops in California know their sh*t about the import scene. They can pull over a kid, pop the hood, and can easily tell if there was an engine swap, if the parts are legal or stolen, etc.. They can even tell if your car (and the height of your lights) are lower than the legal limit, visually. Here in WA state it's not that bad. But you'll still get pulled over for a loud exhaust w/no cat or resonators, and certain lighting or limo tint...stuff like that.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: open hood

About California,
The lowest part of your car can not be lower then the bottom of your rims. And your tires cannot stick out more than an 1/2 inch without mud flaps. Now, normally the police wouldn't care. But if you get a pi$$ed off CHP officer or if your pulled over when cruising, you're gettin' writen up. As for exhaust, none of my friends ever cited unless the tail pipe is dragging and it looks like someone took a shotgun to it. Loud stereos, I could care less. If you want to spend $1,500 on amps, speakers, and a deck, you have the right to blast it. (Just not at 1am) But that's just me. There are some guys that live, breathe, and sleep with the vehicle code.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: open hood

Originally posted by Ghost face Max

Then Maybe they do go by where you live. I have to ask my buddy about that.....
As Far as the CHP goes I agree when I lived in Cali my boy got pulled over, he was driving a mitsubishi mini truck lowered, 2 15's in the back, batteries and pump with a cover over the bed. He got pulled over and this cop pulled out a yardstick and measured his distance from the ground! he beat that ticket cause he had hydraulics and bumped the height up, he got hit for loud exhaust, no joke, so cali got books and books on mods and legality of mods