6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Maxima Photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 11:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think the car looks pretty good overall. Even though it is really big looking. But, does anyone else notice how much more wheel gap there is in the front compared to the back!?
Old 12-05-2002, 11:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Now thats a smart looking automobile! About time they got their designers up to snub.
Old 12-05-2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by CJP
It's kinda like how the older 300zx looks much better than the 350z, everyone pretty much agrees with that, right?

Umm, no
Old 12-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by CJP
It's kinda like how the older 300zx looks much better than the 350z, everyone pretty much agrees with that, right?
I'm 50/50 as far as that goes....
Old 12-05-2002, 12:07 PM
CJP

By "much better" I mean more muscular and less trendy. The 300zx looks menacing and the 350z looks like Ken should be driving it to Barbie's dream house. I'm gonna get it for that one I think.

Originally posted by DA-MAX

I'm 50/50 as far as that goes....
Old 12-05-2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by CJP
By "much better" I mean more muscular and less trendy. The 300zx looks menacing and the 350z looks like Ken should be driving it to Barbie's dream house. I'm gonna get it for that one I think.

I'm just going to keep my mouth shut....
Old 12-05-2002, 12:31 PM

its a ford
Old 12-05-2002, 12:44 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

honestly i dont think it looks as bad a the concept did. The thing that i like about it is the fender flares around the wheel well, but it still has the 4x4 suspension.

siler
Old 12-05-2002, 12:57 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

looks like the 3rd gen is still the best
Old 12-05-2002, 01:09 PM
I'm so hood

You guys are all hilarious.

When the 2000 max came out..everyone said the same thing...it's UGLY.

Get off your soap boxes and EMBRACE change.
And I think there's just people who embrace automobile design change simply because of the nature of change. BriGuy is like this one friend I have that keeps ******* me because I talk smack about the 350Z (which btw will always seem to me like it should come stock with front-mounted plasma cannons and other wannabe-future-gadgetry)..."Dude...it's awesome, just accept it." Like whether or not it looks good or bad is a fact or something.

To command everyone to embrace change....that's like telling the world to focus on finding ways to change things just for the sake of change, rather than focusing on finding the best way to do something.
You try telling every automobile enthusiast that owns and/or restores a classic car to scrap what they're doing and embrace change by buying some cookie-cutter piece of tin with altezzas. (I know, most have and drive a modern car as well, but I'm using an extreme example to make a point.)

With that said I generally don't change my opinions on auto designs as time passes. I don't get people who "warm up" to the way a car looks - I think that's more like surrendering or justifying. The 2000 Max is still as ugly as it was when I saw it years ago.

A classic argument that will go on forever...
Old 12-05-2002, 01:17 PM

It looks cool for what it is now- a luxury vehicle, but doesn't look like it has any 4DSC in it anymore
Old 12-05-2002, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma

And I think there's just people who embrace automobile design change simply because of the nature of change. BriGuy is like this one friend I have that keeps ******* me because I talk smack about the 350Z (which btw will always seem to me like it should come stock with front-mounted plasma cannons and other wannabe-future-gadgetry)..."Dude...it's awesome, just accept it." Like whether or not it looks good or bad is a fact or something.

To command everyone to embrace change....that's like telling the world to focus on finding ways to change things just for the sake of change, rather than focusing on finding the best way to do something.
You try telling every automobile enthusiast that owns and/or restores a classic car to scrap what they're doing and embrace change by buying some cookie-cutter piece of tin with altezzas. (I know, most have and drive a modern car as well, but I'm using an extreme example to make a point.)

With that said I generally don't change my opinions on auto designs as time passes. I don't get people who "warm up" to the way a car looks - I think that's more like surrendering or justifying. The 2000 Max is still as ugly as it was when I saw it years ago.

A classic argument that will go on forever...
What really gets me is that pretty much EVERYONE that posted in the three pages before me dogs the new design.

That's not some people embracing change and some not....that's everyone jumping on the bandwagon after the first person badmouths it.

I can pretty much gaurantee if Jambo had stated a positive opinion about the car, then many of the posts would have gone the other day.

Ah the power of suggestion.....
Old 12-05-2002, 01:23 PM

when the 2000 maxima's came out, I thought they were fugly, and I still think they are fugly, when the new altima's came out I thought they were fugly, and I still think they are fugly...
Old 12-05-2002, 01:25 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

the current maxima design came out 1999 = a four year old design. ancient by japanesse standards.

time for change.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020
the current maxima design came out 1999 = a four year old design. ancient by japanesse standards.

time for change.
amen
Old 12-05-2002, 01:27 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

uhhhh, could it be that possibly they think its just plain ugly...go figure I mean as much as I see the "follow the pack" attitude on here I think people really believe the car is *** END buttugly...if they like it fine if they don't thats fine too...I'm not resisting change, I'm resisteing UGLY!

Originally posted by BriGuyMax What really gets me is that pretty much EVERYONE that posted in the three pages before me dogs the new design.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Ford Only.

look at the high res version, anyone else see 3.5 badge on it? pass side
Old 12-05-2002, 01:31 PM

Well change this!

Why does nissan CONTINUE to design the maxima with the front higher the the rear?????????

Thats why I have coilovers. I refuse to drop a car and end up with the back lower then the front....Even a damn FWD volvo(S70) has the front a little lower then the back or at least give the effect of it. That makes cars look soo much better. You would think the engine would way down the front of the car...

That and the fact that the car's shape kind of 'slope' backwards makes front look even higher.

But besides the above its not bad at all..from the sides...

the 350Z tricked me too like this too...it looks good from the side but from the rear view, its ugly...
Old 12-05-2002, 01:34 PM

It's not bad...

Styling isn't a big deal to me unless it's just really tasteless. The Max still has the sporty, pronounced fenders, and the designers tried to keep the overhangs short to help with handling.

The big issue with me will be the drivetrain. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have a V8. Why? Well, Nissan's performance flagship doesn't have one. It would look pretty dumb for the Maxima to have a better engine than the 350Z, wouldn't it?

I still think it's entirely plausible for the Max to have awd, since other automakers are going that way. But that depends on who Nissan is targeting with this car. If they're still going after boats like the Avalon and Bonneville, then we can forget it.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:38 PM

is that pic photoshopped??

looks like altima front and side + 350z rear with the tailights cut short. the pic also, doesn't look that smooth
Old 12-05-2002, 01:44 PM
Ramius83

I actually do like the new Maxima. Granted it is a lot bigger than it has been in the past, I think Nissan did an OK job on it. The thing I am looking at is how the rear sags a little, or maybe that is how the rear fenders are designed. Anyways, I like the wheels, the quad tips, the stretched 350Z look with a hint of an Altima. Now the only thing we have to wait for are the specs, and then I can make a more accurate assumption of the new Maxipad. In reality, it just looks like an over-grown Altima.

Old 12-05-2002, 01:48 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

it's an alty and it's ugly
Old 12-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Holy front wheel gap, Batman... I need to see more angles before I judge it fully.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:15 PM
CJP

The wheels are nice. I'll agree with that.

Originally posted by Ramius83
I actually do like the new Maxima. Granted it is a lot bigger than it has been in the past, I think Nissan did an OK job on it. The thing I am looking at is how the rear sags a little, or maybe that is how the rear fenders are designed. Anyways, I like the wheels, the quad tips, the stretched 350Z look with a hint of an Altima. Now the only thing we have to wait for are the specs, and then I can make a more accurate assumption of the new Maxipad. In reality, it just looks like an over-grown Altima.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

What really gets me is that pretty much EVERYONE that posted in the three pages before me dogs the new design.
I think it's unfortunate that Nissan decided to debut that particular angle. I bet the front 3/4 angle would have been a better choice as far as initial reaction, but who knows.

I'm not going to pass full judgement until I see some more shots, but for now the darn thing is at the bottom of the pile as far as I'm concerned.

That's my opinion, not some lemming thoughts.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:55 PM

Yuck
Old 12-05-2002, 03:09 PM

Too big and bulky....I thought Nissan likes to keep Maximas somewhat sporty? More hp won't entice that many people if that's what it is going to look like.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:18 PM
I'm so hood

That's not some people embracing change and some not....that's everyone jumping on the bandwagon after the first person badmouths it.
I see that point. In the words of Dave Chapelle, "Not me...nooo, not us!"

It's just real convienent to embrace change. Car makers feel they have to change things so often, so they're going to whether you like it or not. If you simply embrace change period, you're letting them determine style trends and updates. Whatever they make, you're going to accept it. They could make Homer's car on that old Simpsons episode. If the majority of people were the opposite, the customer could dictate style trends more.

In general, rapid change in a lot of markets makes for easier money because the majority of people embrace change so easily (they think, Oh! Look at that NEW car! It has to be better than the last one! *purchase*). I'm more of a guy that thinks somethign should be produced as a strong base and optimized for a while, rather than producing new, different, not-as-thought-out products. That applies to individual markets differently. To the car market, it means just to slow change down a little more.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:23 PM

No sir, didn't like it.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:25 PM

Re: Well change this!

Originally posted by MAXIN
Why does nissan CONTINUE to design the maxima with the front higher the the rear?????????

Thats why I have coilovers. I refuse to drop a car and end up with the back lower then the front....Even a damn FWD volvo(S70) has the front a little lower then the back or at least give the effect of it. That makes cars look soo much better. You would think the engine would way down the front of the car...

umm...most BMWs have the front higher than the back...and they look awesome...especially the 3-series....
Old 12-05-2002, 03:34 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I think the look will grow on me. Good thing about sharing the Altima's platform is the IRS (I am assuming it lost the multi-link beam of course).

Check out the spyshots snapped by BrianV. The profile is the same. Look at the wheelwell flares and the location of the fuel filler door. Look at the front end where the cornering lamp is. Look at the headlamp and pay attention to the orange reflector. Look at the rear where the trunklid meets the bumper. Look at the door handles. Look at the rear door opening (they tried to mask it by painting over the corner. Look at the license plate surround.

Remember someone mentioned how he spoke to Nissan Engineers and said the prototype pics were NOT those of the 2K4 Maximas? http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+maxima+brianv
Old 12-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Btw the rear shot looks like they benchmarked the Lincoln Towncar
Old 12-05-2002, 03:58 PM

ewwwwwwww

OMG....im glad i have my car...it looks like the DAMN altima and i hate that car....the new maxima is to bulky.....it looks like a lincoln....its not sporty or stream-lined......it's just is soooo dfferent from the past maximas....it looks like the 2k3 maxima will be the last maxima worthwhile fixing up.....NISSAN.....why!!!!..

albert
Old 12-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan Maxima,
1981-2003 - RIP
Old 12-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

ok, this one's gonna take some serious work. i'm amidst finals, so i'll probably whip something better up during my break in a week or so.

19" wheels
side skirts
rear bumper mod
molded trunk lip
lower front/ rear suspension
Old 12-05-2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by emax95
Nissan Maxima,
1981-2003 - RIP
Begining of the end huh?

SuDZ
Old 12-05-2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by MaximaZero
ok, this one's gonna take some serious work. i'm amidst finals, so i'll probably whip something better up during my break in a week or so.

19" wheels
side skirts
rear bumper mod
molded trunk lip
i just hate the look of the new maxima...it just looks like the "hump back of notre dame" of ALL Cars...the rear is sooooo weird looking...it points up.....its look a woman with a big fat A*S*S....
excuse the language...hehe
Old 12-05-2002, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by emax95
Nissan Maxima,
1981-2003 - RIP
i think nissan killed the 5th gen max with the rear lights and rear bumper and now i'm looking at the 6th gen pic and i don't like it at all.

i'm sorry but the infinity looks alot better.

i think my next car won't be a nissan. i think i will try for a used 540 bmw or gs400.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

man you always do good work on the P-shops, but its so hard to make this car(and the Alty) look good because of the "bulkiness."

19" wheels
side skirts
rear bumper mod
molded trunk lip
Old 12-05-2002, 04:33 PM

Hmmm, that kind of reminds me of the new S6.

19" wheels
side skirts
rear bumper mod
molded trunk lip

Quick Reply: 2004 Maxima Photos