6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Max vs Audi A4 in March MotorTrend

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 05:13 PM
swallac2

2004 Max vs Audi A4 in March MotorTrend

In the end they voted for the Audi. Looking at the pics I still can't warm to the Max. The picture of the center stack looks more like a mini tower computer. I like the laid back look of the 5th gen better. I'm still reading the article now (I just got it out of the mailbox). They did however note a lot of torque steer.

Old 01-30-2003, 06:56 PM
KJ

I think we will get used to the look of the exterior. I can't believe u don't like the interior.

6.3 sec to 60 and 14.7 quarter not any faster than before.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:22 PM

I am very un-impressed with the 6th Gen Maxima. They have made it too damn big and the styling is too dramatic!

4th Gens. are still the best looking Max's in my opinion.
I think Nissan made a big mistake redesigning this car the way they did
Old 01-30-2003, 09:23 PM

Steve Vtec was correct he said most likely that it would be a tad slower and it is preliminary with those stats. With the extra weight and minimal up in power (who Knows). Nissan still didnt improve on the Torque steer wow, last month the 245hp Alti got to 60 in 5.9 sec M/Tand C/D got the 02 SE Max to 60 in 6 flat. I guess I was expecting to see high 5's on the 04! I still the the 02/03 SE's are the best looking Maxima's followed closely by the 97-99 Se's stock.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:33 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Steve Vtec was correct he said most likely that it would be a tad slower and it is preliminary with those stats. With the extra weight and minimal up in power (who Knows). Nissan still didnt improve on the Torque steer wow, last month the 245hp Alti got to 60 in 5.9 sec M/Tand C/D got the 02 SE Max to 60 in 6 flat. I guess I was expecting to see high 5's on the 04! I still the the 02/03 SE's are the best looking Maxima's followed closely by the 97-99 Se's stock.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by araffio

4th Gens. are still the best looking Max's in my opinion.
I second that. I think the best looking maxima is a 97-99 SE superblack. A 00-01 SE pearl white looks very good too.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:17 AM

Of course everybody would say their gen/year Maxima looks the best!
I think the 2002-03 Maximas look better followed by the 97-99 Maxima!
Old 01-31-2003, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
I agree with both things you said!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by littledog

I second that. I think the best looking maxima is a 97-99 SE superblack. A 00-01 SE pearl white looks very good too.

i'm sorry wanted to put in my 2 cents. i think that the 3rd gen max se looks the best. but i'm starting to like the 04 max a lil. when i first saw the 5th gen max i thought it was ugly now i want one. maybe the same thing will happen with the 04 max. just in a blue with a spoiler, tinted windows and chrome wheels.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:46 AM

The A4 is rather plain-looking. The only Audis that interest me are the S4 and the RS6. Anyways, I have been thinking. How difficult would it be to get the 04 Max's VQ35 up there with the Z in terms of power? Exhaust, Intake, and flywheel, I imagine. Then throw on a 50-shot of nitrous, and you have a 340 HP car. Now put that badass deep blue paint job, some konig 19's, and chrome tip the exhaust... That's far sweeter than an A4 could be.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:02 PM

I'm not voting for my year I would love a 2003 6sp max in dark blue. the new max is ugly, big and slow. Come on 0-60 in 6.3 seconds.
I would rather get the Altima, probrably handles better, is just as fast and is cheaper. Max is starting to get their a** whooped by the competition in speed, styling, handling, etc. Even if the styling does grow on me that doesn't help,performance wise. When I get a new car (which is a while off) if the maxima doesn't improve much I'm going with something else.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by 96max5sp
I'm not voting for my year I would love a 2003 6sp max in dark blue. the new max is ugly, big and slow. Come on 0-60 in 6.3 seconds.
I would rather get the Altima, probrably handles better, is just as fast and is cheaper. Max is starting to get their a** whooped by the competition in speed, styling, handling, etc. Even if the styling does grow on me that doesn't help,performance wise. When I get a new car (which is a while off) if the maxima doesn't improve much I'm going with something else.
Your right the Max use to be head and shoulders above the competition, but every since the 4th Gen other MFG's have taken heeed and closed the gap considerably. Nissan is adding all of this power to these cars recently and performance is only marginally up since 95. I must say that the 02/03 in Auto is a major leap ahead of the 95-01 autos but the manual's are a slighlty different story.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:10 PM

I'm also disappointed with the 6th genenation.i was looking out for a G35 or a smaller Q45 look. I dont think the look will ever grow on me because when i was buying my 2k i had an opportunity to get a new 3.5 alty and still i bought the Max over it. my 2 cent>>> hopefully the 7th will be better...
Old 01-31-2003, 03:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

confirms my nagging suspiscions

Read between the lines in this article, and you will see that they don't like the handling. Or the "Lion-hearted torque-steer."

Of course, they only rarely, if ever, flat-out bad-mouth a car. Hard to do, when the cars they review pay their bills.

And like I have said before, these manufacturers are stuffing too much power and torque into front drive platforms. The alternative is rear-drive, okay if you live outside the arctic-belt. And all wheel drive? I would rather have $2000-$3000 of gadgets than $2000-$3000 of slow-me-down hardware.

One good thing here about the Maxima that I want to quote from the article, "you have to applaud Nissan for refusing to join the safe-styling flock."

Sorry, but I LOVE the look. Bold yet understated. Doesn't grab your attention, but doesn't turn you off either.

However, I HAVE to have a car that handles solidly. The Altima certainly doesn't, and it looks like the new Maxima has abandoned simplicity in favor of marketability. I can't fault them for it, but it isn't for me.

Jimmy
Old 01-31-2003, 03:49 PM

I still the the 02/03 SE's are the best looking Maxima's followed closely by the 97-99 Se's stock.

Hmmm...I'm in a predicament owning a 97 and an 02! I'd say it's a toss up. The third gens are also nice.

Perosnally, I always liked the A4's and considered buying one when the 1.8T came out a few years ago. I just can't get over the coost for an underpowered 1.8T or 3.0. The Max is a better bang for the buck.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:06 AM
Very sound, Mike

You guys have to consider the following points when judging the 04.

1) The Maxima, though still marketed as a 4DSC, is moving on up to compete directly with cars of similar size and class. From a marketing perspective the Max still comes up top. Even the feature-set on the 04 is quite a show-stopper. The cars it's up against (specifically the Avalon) doesn't even have half the spirit nor the capabilities.

2) Per Nissan's plan, the Altima takes the place of the Maxima's spot as we all know and love it to be.

3) The 02/03 has bad torque steer as well, though with minor modifications can be reduced significantly. I'm assuming the same thing goes with the 04.

4) Since the 04 is based on the Altima/Murano platform, at least there is hope that by 2004 or 2005 an AWD version will come out. Better yet, perhaps some enterprising company/individual will find a way to be first out in the market with an AWD solution for both Alt and Max.

5) Again, on the torque steer. MT tested a 04 Max and an A4. Judging from the Torque and HP ratings on both cars, obviously one would notice more of the TS on the Maxima.

6) Nissan's design on the 04 is definitely a bit more radical than your average car. Then again, the Maxima is not your average car. Never has and hopefully never will be.

Car designers have a dilemma in creating designs, with so many out there it's hard to come up with one that is totally unique. Thus, why you notice slight similarities between brands and models of cars. Unless one goes all out to the point of being outrageously radical, you're bound to have a copy-cat look in some areas.

Additionally, IMHO, Nissan has hit the mark right as far as creating a design that turns your face towards it while still maintaining that aura that makes you love it more and more as the days go by.

I always considered the 3rd gen to be rather bland, the 4th gen butt-ugly, as well as the 5th gen being butt-ugly. But the more i look at them the better it starts to look and the more i appreciate the "timeless" design that i think Nissan is trying to incorporate.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
You guys have to consider the following points when judging the 04...
I have to agree with most of your points. However, on modifying the torque steer: Any modification you make to the mechanics of the car, however craftfully done, is risky. If it wasn't, don't you think Nissan would have done it? Especially given how annoying torque steer is to any type of driver?

For myself, I stay away from them. It is easier/safer to play with the lighting and cosmetics.

And while the new Altima has indeed taken the Maxima's place, it has not replaced it. More power, more complicated suspension, cheapened interior... I could go on. My point is that the Altima still is, as before, on the same level as the Accord and the Camry. Better acceleration (with both engines) but without their refinement.

In the transition from Maxima to Altima V6, Nissan substituted raw power and sosphisticated suspension for good execution and all around finesse. Great for the Accord/Camry type of buyer. (Which is why the Altima will succeed.) But not for someone who wants more than that.

I am on board with the styling though. Nissan has never played by the rules in that department, and I have to congratulate them for it.

Jimmy
Old 02-01-2003, 02:40 PM

From the preview of the 04 Maxima done by the Toronto Star, they portrayed it has a great handler. They said the ride wasn't as soft as the previous Maxima; giving up comfort for sport.

Link

Some quotes from the article:
Automatic models come with Vehicle Dynamics control, while manual SEs come with a bona fide helical limited-slip differential. With such sophisticated underpinnings, it comes as no surprise that the Maxima's a lot more fun to throw around, with minimal body roll, big grip from the big tires and plenty of stability. The '04 Maxima may be a big car, but it's also big fun.
The new Maxima is a bright orange SE six-speed. With the sun's rays flashing through its skyview roof, its engine snarling to redline and its tires yelping enthusiastically in anticipation of the next corner, the Maxima is back, and in a really big way.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
From the preview of the 04 Maxima done by the Toronto Star, they portrayed it has a great handler.
The Chicago Tribune (some years back) credited the Acura TL with great handling and positive feedback (or similiar wording.) I test drove the TL, and wondered if I was driving the same car they were.

I don't typically trust the news writers. Not that I completely trust the auto mag writers either.

I am still reserving judgement on the Maxima's ride and handling until I drive one myself. Can't do that any time soon though, lest I get new car fever again!
Old 02-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by JimmyH

I have to agree with most of your points. However, on modifying the torque steer: Any modification you make to the mechanics of the car, however craftfully done, is risky. If it wasn't, don't you think Nissan would have done it? Especially given how annoying torque steer is to any type of driver?
I wasn't talking strictly on custom jobs. It was directed more towards your plain 'ol FSTB, proper tire pressures and perhaps even better tires. Since i've done the first two, TS on my 2k2 has gone down quite a bit. Nothing drastic but i can definitely tell the difference.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:00 PM

You guys have to consider the following points when judging the 04.

1) The Maxima, though still marketed as a 4DSC, is moving on up to compete directly with cars of similar size and class. From a marketing perspective the Max still comes up top. Even the feature-set on the 04 is quite a show-stopper. The cars it's up against (specifically the Avalon) doesn't even have half the spirit nor the capabilities.

2) Per Nissan's plan, the Altima takes the place of the Maxima's spot as we all know and love it to be.

3) The 02/03 has bad torque steer as well, though with minor modifications can be reduced significantly. I'm assuming the same thing goes with the 04.

4) Since the 04 is based on the Altima/Murano platform, at least there is hope that by 2004 or 2005 an AWD version will come out. Better yet, perhaps some enterprising company/individual will find a way to be first out in the market with an AWD solution for both Alt and Max.

5) Again, on the torque steer. MT tested a 04 Max and an A4. Judging from the Torque and HP ratings on both cars, obviously one would notice more of the TS on the Maxima.

6) Nissan's design on the 04 is definitely a bit more radical than your average car. Then again, the Maxima is not your average car. Never has and hopefully never will be.

Car designers have a dilemma in creating designs, with so many out there it's hard to come up with one that is totally unique. Thus, why you notice slight similarities between brands and models of cars. Unless one goes all out to the point of being outrageously radical, you're bound to have a copy-cat look in some areas.

Additionally, IMHO, Nissan has hit the mark right as far as creating a design that turns your face towards it while still maintaining that aura that makes you love it more and more as the days go by.

I always considered the 3rd gen to be rather bland, the 4th gen butt-ugly, as well as the 5th gen being butt-ugly. But the more i look at them the better it starts to look and the more i appreciate the "timeless" design that i think Nissan is trying to incorporate.
Very Well put
Old 02-05-2003, 09:07 PM

The car will grow on me and by the time I'm ready for something new, they will have corrected the mistakes with the early 6th gens (i.e., the GRILL!!). I didn't like the front grill of the 00-01 either but I got one anyway. But I didn't disklike it as much as I do these 04's. I'm much happier with the look of my 02 and 03. It generally takes them a couple years to fix things...case in point is the interior of the Altima. I hear changes are forthcoming in the 05 model year (ok, 3 years to fix).

MT certainly didn't bash the max. But I really have to ask why they created such an atypical interior. Any maxima interior of yore is a much more pleasant place to spend time; the new interior appears cold and too techno-flashy. I don't think it is an enduring design. I would have much rather seen a continued evolution of the waterfall dash and we didn't need the pods for the guages; a cowled instrument cluster is so much easier to read. The look of the FX45 dash would have worked well in the Maxima...oh well.

On the one hand I am very happy we didn't end up with an Avalon knock-off as our new Maxima. As critical as I've been of the design, at least it is not as boring and safe as the offerings from Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus. It is most certainly aggressive and sporty and not at all akin to the avalons/accords/camry's. For that, I can live with the grill, I guess. However, an interior as tasteful and stylish as the acura or lexus would have been nice.

srm
Old 02-06-2003, 05:19 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I think the G6 is a love/hate sort of car just like the G5's. Even MotorTrend mentioned that, and they also mentioned that people should appreciate Nissan for not building extremely conservatively styled non-offensive cars like everybody else (or something like that).

You still gotta love the fact that this car will run with a 540i on the highway, and has pretty much every feature that the 540i does for HALF THE PRICE!

The Maxima is still the "poor man's" 5-series.

If the Maxima is 90-95% of a 5-series and goes for $34k MSRP fully loaded, and BMW 540i is $60k MSRP fully loaded, I still think that makes the Nissan one HELL of a deal.

If my 99 Maxima can hold together for a few more years, a G6 Maxima will probably be my next car. I love the 540i - freakin awesome. But I couldn't sleep well at night knowing that I paid DOUBLE the price ($30k more!) for just 5-10% more car. I'll pocket the $30k and put it into something that will make me money, not lose money like a car.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:26 PM

torque steer is inevitable in a fwd car with as much "rated" tq as the max. but apparently the altimas is worse, now why is that?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I think the G6 is a love/hate sort of car just like the G5's. Even MotorTrend mentioned that, and they also mentioned that people should appreciate Nissan for not building extremely conservatively styled non-offensive cars like everybody else (or something like that).

You still gotta love the fact that this car will run with a 540i on the highway, and has pretty much every feature that the 540i does for HALF THE PRICE!

If the Maxima is 90-95% of a 5-series and goes for $34k MSRP fully loaded, and BMW 540i is $60k MSRP fully loaded, I still think that makes the Nissan one HELL of a deal.

If my 99 Maxima can hold together for a few more years, a G6 Maxima will probably be my next car. I love the 540i - freakin awesome. But I couldn't sleep well at night knowing that I paid DOUBLE the price ($30k more!) for just 5-10% more car. I'll pocket the $30k and put it into something that will make me money, not lose money like a car.
They also said Nissan could have been forgiven for not messing up a good thing, meaning that they like the way the current 5th gen is.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:47 PM

I just thnk the new A4 is HOT! It might be my next ride, as much as I want an RS6 or just the simple S4...

Old 02-06-2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Chuvak
I just thnk the new A4 is HOT! It might be my next ride, as much as I want an RS6 or just the simple S4...

that looks tight.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:24 PM

Jeeez. After 94 **** hit the fan. Thank god for 3rd gens.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Ford Only.

Originally posted by Mr. Nismo
Jeeez. After 94 **** hit the fan. Thank god for 3rd gens.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:00 AM

I still the the 02/03 SE's are the best looking Maxima's
What makes the 02 look better than the 01?

Surely it can't be the taillight configuration.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:19 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

[/B]
The VQ35 Max's are wonderful (well, all Max's are wonderful) cars, but they can't really compete entirely with the 540's. The 540 stock vs stock handles better, accelerates better, runs the 1/4 faster (if you actually want to race it in the 1/4) and has a higher top end. All that and it is getting gas mileage that is similar to our beloved 3.5L V6 (well, it's a tad worse). It's too bad you have to pay for the name BMW. I even have the money to buy a 540, but I won't personally and didn't b/c I like having more toys (not just a couple great ones). The reasons we compare the Max to the 540 is pretty much just performance. Space is definitely the Max. Comfort is absolutely the 540, as well as handling, speed, acceleration. The top speed of the ungoverened 540 is 170+. Top speed for the Max is 145-ish. It's really a pointless debate in the end. The Max is the best buy for the money, no doubt, but the comfort and performance edge is all 540. Well, I'd rather have 2 new Max's (one a 6 speed, the other an auto). Plus I'd have room for mods on the Max as well Sorry for the long post, but I come from a long line of BMW ownership (parents, grandparents, me).
Old 02-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by RMcoolX
What makes the 02 look better than the 01?
Headlights, edgier front bumper, larger grill, slightly different rims.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:38 AM

Headlights, edgier front bumper, larger grill, slightly different rims.
I noticed this stuff too, but never felt it looked any better nor worse.

It must be one of those, "I own one, so it's just better" things!?!
Old 02-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Very sound, Mike

I noticed this stuff too, but never felt it looked any better nor worse.

It must be one of those, "I own one, so it's just better" things!?!
Maybe so. But personally i do like the larger grill and edgy bumpers. Makes the front-end look that much more aggressive.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:50 AM

Maybe so. But personally i do like the larger grill and edgy bumpers. Makes the front-end look that much more aggressive.
Hey, now that you mention it...I still don't see it, but I guess to each his own.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Very sound, Mike

Hey, now that you mention it...I still don't see it, but I guess to each his own.
yep
Old 02-07-2003, 03:19 PM

Also the side sills do alot to it as well, you took the words out of my mouth Soundmike they look more aggressive!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:03 PM

I find it odd that an A4 is being compared to a Maxima. One's huge, and one is small. What makes them similar is the price points and 4 doors. But I'm wondering, would a person shopping for an A4 also be looking at a Maxima? Or the other way around? I mean, the A6/Maxima would be a more apples to apples comparo.

DW
Old 02-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Very sound, Mike

Not only that, but they're basically comparing a luxury brand to the "common man's" brand. Then again, kudos to Nissan for being compared to such.

By the way, i just read the article. Not much complaining but their summary really intrigues me, no biggie but it makes me think that these guys don't really know much about what they want.

Maxima Con: Lion hearted torque steer
A4 Con: Not enough torque

Old 02-07-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
NOT if they are honest with themselves. I drive a 5Th Gen. Max and think that the 4Th Genners are far better looking. No contest. However, the 6Th Genner is a nasty boat. The nerve of any retard to compare that to a beautiful Audi. NASTY CRAP, no Altimax for the Rubman. Make mine a 6Mt G35 Coupe.

Quick Reply: 2004 Max vs Audi A4 in March MotorTrend