6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Power Sunroof engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 03:02 PM

Power Sunroof engineering?

I drove SL, and SE back to back. One with a Power Sun Roof (which I wanted). But this god-awful wind noise was present. Found the Sunroof would not close. Then I pulled over. The pop-up Wind-deflector is Some kind of Rubber affair. (Not like my 2000) It pops up too high above the roof, gets stuck, then the glass pinched it and would not move. There are 2 little fiber straps that limit upward motion of the deflector, but obvously they don't work right. I saw another person on this forum had a Sun roof problem. I may have to go with Sky-light after all.
FYI other comments.
Awfully powerful car. There is some torque steer even in automatic, but that doesn't bug me too much.
SE rides a litte rough...mostly tire bumps. Nicer wheels, flat cornering. Quiet as far as other noise goes.
SL is smoother over bumps, but the 4 speed is not as slick as the 5 speed on the SE. Thought the wood trim was too shiny.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:13 PM

Re: Power Sunroof engineering?

Originally posted by mikmax1
I drove SL, and SE back to back. One with a Power Sun Roof (which I wanted). But this god-awful wind noise was present. Found the Sunroof would not close. Then I pulled over. The pop-up Wind-deflector is Some kind of Rubber affair. (Not like my 2000) It pops up too high above the roof, gets stuck, then the glass pinched it and would not move. There are 2 little fiber straps that limit upward motion of the deflector, but obvously they don't work right. I saw another person on this forum had a Sun roof problem. I may have to go with Sky-light after all.
FYI other comments.
Awfully powerful car. There is some torque steer even in automatic, but that doesn't bug me too much.
SE rides a litte rough...mostly tire bumps. Nicer wheels, flat cornering. Quiet as far as other noise goes.
SL is smoother over bumps, but the 4 speed is not as slick as the 5 speed on the SE. Thought the wood trim was too shiny.
Hey, I'm the one that mentioned a problem with the sunroof on my SL a couple weeks ago. It was not seating properly when closed and as a result, it was quieter with the roof tilted than with it shut. It was bad. All mine required was some adjustment. It is fine now, not a problem at all. Your issue sounds different, well, at least in the car you drove. It must need some adjustment, too. Wouldn't you think these things are being tested before they leave the plant?

I tell you the truth, I love the skyview feature and would have it except for the fact that I always have my roof open if it is above 55 degrees and not raining (or below, say 90 (grin)). I just have to have a roof that opens. If I didn't care much about that or really didn't use the sunroof that much, I'd have the skyview hands down and use the $900 in option price elsewhere. I know some on here don't care for it, but it really works for me. Just too bad it doesn't open, or at least one of them doesn't.

Good luck on whatever you go with!!

srm
Old 04-07-2003, 06:32 AM

Re: Re: Power Sunroof engineering?

Originally posted by Maxmann

Hey, I'm the one that mentioned a problem with the sunroof on my SL a couple weeks ago. It was not seating properly when closed and as a result, it was quieter with the roof tilted than with it shut. It was bad. All mine required was some adjustment. It is fine now, not a problem at all. Your issue sounds different, well, at least in the car you drove. It must need some adjustment, too. Wouldn't you think these things are being tested before they leave the plant?

I tell you the truth, I love the skyview feature and would have it except for the fact that I always have my roof open if it is above 55 degrees and not raining (or below, say 90 (grin)). I just have to have a roof that opens. If I didn't care much about that or really didn't use the sunroof that much, I'd have the skyview hands down and use the $900 in option price elsewhere. I know some on here don't care for it, but it really works for me. Just too bad it doesn't open, or at least one of them doesn't.

Good luck on whatever you go with!!

srm
Thanks Maxmann. Still working on color combos and options. Cars are still a little scarce. Would like to see if others are seeing Sunroof adjustments needed. I'm like you...I like the fresh air from the roof that opens. Makes my whole day a little better to start out with the roof open!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:41 AM

Knock on wood, i've had no problems with the sunroof (or anything else for that matter). I've been really happy with the car.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Yanke
Knock on wood, i've had no problems with the sunroof (or anything else for that matter). I've been really happy with the car.
Same here!!

The 6th gen is IMO, truly the most awesome Max yet!
Old 04-07-2003, 03:34 PM

No probs with my sunroof either.

-Ed

Originally posted by Yanke