6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Xm Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 09:04 PM

I read somewhere, I think a sticker in the car that stated a retro fit was not available.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by mikey0120

3 hours. no pics of the process. The whole installation was fairly simple. The tidious aspect was trying to figure out how to take the dash apart. I had to plug the cables in behind the cassette box. There is a module there. As I said earlier, if the car was prewired, the install would have taken at most 1 hour.
Mikey0120,

I would be very interested in how you did this especially regarding removing the dash and passing the wires through the body. Did you have to take any precautions regarding the airbags etc or was this only the center console? Did you have to drill holes? How is the antenna installed? Do you have pictures of the box in the trunk and wiring as well as the antenna on the roof? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2003, 06:35 AM

I wanted to drag this thread back to the top. I got my (actually my wife's) SE on Friday with XM. We ordered it on May 4 and were expecting it next Friday. It was a nice surprise to get it early.

This is my first experience with XM and we both think it's great. To me the sound quality is almost that of a CD and much better than FM. I'm still learning about the car and these may be user mistakes but I do have a few complaints. The steering wheel controls don't control XM. I've tried to use them to go to the next XM channel and it immediately switches back to FM. Also, the default display for XM is title only. I like the display with the channel, artist and title. It's a single button push to switch but I shouldn't have to do it every time I switch back to XM.

If I find any solutions to my complaints, I'll post them.

-Robert
Old 06-22-2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Robert_J
I wanted to drag this thread back to the top. I got my (actually my wife's) SE on Friday with XM. We ordered it on May 4 and were expecting it next Friday. It was a nice surprise to get it early.

This is my first experience with XM and we both think it's great. To me the sound quality is almost that of a CD and much better than FM. I'm still learning about the car and these may be user mistakes but I do have a few complaints. The steering wheel controls don't control XM. I've tried to use them to go to the next XM channel and it immediately switches back to FM. Also, the default display for XM is title only. I like the display with the channel, artist and title. It's a single button push to switch but I shouldn't have to do it every time I switch back to XM.

If I find any solutions to my complaints, I'll post them.

-Robert
What did the dealer qoute you on time frame for building? Mine told 3-4 months.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:20 PM

How much did you guys/gals listen to radio when you got the sattelite radio. i dont listen to any radio because i dont like the cookie cutter music but that is me.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We'll I finally saw a satalite Maxima today. It was a hailed damaged one with the Sirius system--boy the atteneas are pretty bad looking.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by pyrodex

What did the dealer qoute you on time frame for building? Mine told 3-4 months.
Ordered on May 4, delivered June 19.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by lwebb12
How much did you guys/gals listen to radio when you got the sattelite radio. i dont listen to any radio because i dont like the cookie cutter music but that is me.
I dont listen ALOT but my problem is I live in BFE (Bum F*&* Egypt) so its tough to find a good alternative radio station. Im too far from Atlanta so I dont get 99x and with XM Im able to get the same station no matter where I am.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:17 PM

SAT AVAILABLE AS FACTORY OPTION ONLY

Ok guys, heres the skinny on the sat radio. You MUST have it installed at the factory and may choose from either XM or SIRIUS. Neither the dealer, nor anybody else is able to install the Nissan factory XM or SIRIUS HU after market. So in other wors, if yours does not have the sat in it now, it will NEVER (never say never) be able to get it installed.

Now the unoffical source... Some of the guys at the factory say that the addition of the Sat aftermarket may be possible, however you would have to 1) buy a non-Nissan sat antennae that can mount on the trunk lid. 2) You would also have to completely replace the Display screen buttons, radio HU and system computer as the buttons and system settings are different depending on whether you have the satellite or not.

IF YOU WANT THE SATELLITE THEN YOU MUST ORDER ON WITH IT OR FIND ONE WITH IT ALREADY INSTALLED ON THE LOT... look for the black antennae on the roof.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: SAT AVAILABLE AS FACTORY OPTION ONLY

You can add Sirius to any car. You will, if it was not installed on your car, need to add a display controler to controll the system. Then it would play thru the bose.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by pyrodex

I dont listen ALOT but my problem is I live in BFE (Bum F*&* Egypt) so its tough to find a good alternative radio station. Im too far from Atlanta so I dont get 99x and with XM Im able to get the same station no matter where I am.

right that is why i onlylisten to cd's