6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What other cars did you try before buying the 04 Max?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 08:44 AM

What other cars did you try before buying the 04 Max?

Hey all you happy 6th Gen. owners...,

I've got three questions:

1) What other cars did you test drive before settling on the 04 Max?

2) Which cars were your top-two among the also-rans (i.e. - your #2 and #3 pics behind the Maxima)? and

3) What factor(s) made you select the Max over the other two?

I've driven a pretty broad range of vehicles that may or not be considered direct Maxima competitors, but they were cars I thought I might like. My only criteria: a) four doors, b) stick shift, c) fun to drive. I currently drive a 5 sp. Anniversary Edition and haven't yet settled on a replacement. Upper price limit of the cars I've driven would be the Infiniti G-35 - I wouldn't go a whole lot higher than that.

Thanks in advance.

Jaeger
Old 04-27-2003, 09:24 AM

Re: What other cars did you try before buying the 04 Max?

Originally posted by Jaeger

2) Which cars were your top-two among the also-rans (i.e. - your #2 and #3 pics behind the Maxima)? and

I've driven a pretty broad range of vehicles that may or not be considered direct Maxima competitors, but they were cars I thought I might like. My only criteria: a) four doors, b) stick shift, c) fun to drive. I currently drive a 5 sp. Anniversary Edition and haven't yet settled on a replacement. Upper price limit of the cars I've driven would be the Infiniti G-35 - I wouldn't go a whole lot higher than that.

Thanks in advance.

Jaeger
BMW 325i
Infiniti G35 (Sedan)
Max 04 SL

Just wanted more space (4 doors so no G35 coupe) They both felt smaller than the Max. Plus being a previous Max owner (my 98 was totalled ) I sort of wanted another one. I had to have a 6-speed with HLSD (which I found and acquired). I like the space on the interior as well. Overall, the performance is great and I don't feel the massive torque steer (I definately felt it on the SL). Of course I like a harsher ride so that doesn't bother me. My only gripe is the turn radius, but that really isn't a very big deal.

-Ed
Old 04-27-2003, 11:31 AM

dont forget the Acura 3.2 S or the new 04TL coming soon
Old 04-27-2003, 11:55 AM

I cut and pasted most of this from my post on the G35 vs Maxima thread. If I could afford it, I probably would have bought a 330Ci Convertable, but I can't...

The list below is all based on speed and how it handled. My 3 top cars were the Acura TL Type S, the BMW 330Ci and the Maxima SE. If the G35 was bigger and the interior was designed better, then I may have included that. If the CTS had more power, then I definately would have included that. The CTS isn't listed below because I only drove the manual transmission.

Here is what I posted on the other thread-

I drove some manuals, but I drove each model as an automatic as well because I knew I was going to buy an auto (I drive about 100 miles a day, some in traffic).

Ok, this isn't an exact science, but...

I would say that the G35 felt faster than the Mustang, but I don't know if that was true or not. Here is what I think-

1) G35 - see above (1st post) to get the pros and cons.
2) Mustang GT Conv - may have been faster, but it didn't feel it. It had some get up and go, but not like the old 5.0s had. Oh yeah, the inside looks worse than the Pontiacs (see below for reference). I think it has the same shifter that my dad's 1984 topaz had... nice work designers, 19 years and you did nothing. The new models coming out look sweet though.
3) Maxima - I bought it, nuff said)
4) Acura TL Type S (the Maxima and Type S were really close. The Acura had a better warranty, but the Maxima had a bit more power and much better styling. If the Acura dealer didn't blow me off, I may have bought one... if I did, it probably would have been #3 on the list )
5) BMW 330Ci - It has a lot less HP but you wouldn't know it from driving it. It is almost perfect to drive, but the back seat is almost non-existent and it is in a price class way above the others
6) Chrysler 300M Special / Grand Prix GTP - These two were about the same. They are just so blah.. the styling is very old. The manumatics on both, if I may put it bluntly, suck. The 300M has the shifter that you move right to go up gears, and left to go down... yeah, that is natural... the GTP has them on the steering wheel, but they don't feel right. They feel cheap. Speaking of cheap, check out the dash of any Pontiac. Those guys are stuck in the 80s. I had an 89 Grand Prix SE and the dash was similar... 15 years and all they did was tilt it a bit. Nice work GM... your cars are boring. Good thinking getting rid of your musclecars, now we have no reason to even think about your cars.
7) BMW 325Ci - It only has about 184hp, but it drives like it has over 200.. but not like it has over 250. And then there is the cost.

I also drove a EX V6 Honda Accord which was nice, but nothing special. It probably fits at 5.5 above.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:53 AM

Re: What other cars did you try before buying the 04 Max?

Originally posted by Jaeger

Thanks in advance.

Jaeger
i havent bought a car yet, but i'm thinking about getting an audi A4, bmw 330, and the number one competitor is the g35. i still like the g35 the best
Old 05-02-2003, 10:29 AM

BMW 330 is the best of that group in my opinion. It handles like a dream and drives like a car with many more horses than it has.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I own a 330i

I currently own a 330i and it is a great car but it is very, very small. The 04' Maxima has much more room, accelerates faster, handles the same and stops the same. The 04' Max is much cheaper...$10K cheaper when you look at a loaded 330i vs. a loaded SE. I can not wait for my Max to arrive. The dealership said I should have a VIN on Monday. The car is due to arrive June 2nd. I am hoping for sooner as I have my 330i listed on Swap Lease and there are 5 serious buyers. Why don't you pickup a 330i on swaplease to see if you like it?

Just my $0.02...
Old 05-02-2003, 11:56 AM

You are right about the size. The Max is much bigger inside. I assume you have the 4 door 330 (ie 330i) which I found to be undrivable. When I looked to the left I was staring at the pilar between the front and back doors. And my shoulder hit the pilar, it was very uncomfortable for me. The Ci was much better, but it really didn't have room in the back behind me.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:01 PM

I had more problems with the Ci

Originally posted by gmc74
You are right about the size. The Max is much bigger inside. I assume you have the 4 door 330 (ie 330i) which I found to be undrivable. When I looked to the left I was staring at the pilar between the front and back doors. And my shoulder hit the pilar, it was very uncomfortable for me. The Ci was much better, but it really didn't have room in the back behind me.
I have a very long upper body and I had to tilt my head to even sit in the Ci with the seat set as low as possible. I found out the Ci roofline is lower then the 330i roofline and therefore there is less headroom. I love my 330i but it is not comfortable to me. I am only 6'0" tall and weigh 195#s but I feel like I am sitting in a Civic. I have absolutely no problem with the pilar. I have a great 360 degree line of site in the 330i.

I was all set to lease a 01' SE but the dealership did not want to deal so I got the BMW. The TL is a big Accord, the A4 is too small, A6 is just as plain looking as the A4 and is a upscale Passat (the A4 is a upscale Jetta), the G35 sedan is pricy for all the goodies I want and will get in the Maxima and the G35 is a little small for me and the ES is just an expensive Camry.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:46 PM

For the price I paid for my '03 there really weren't any cars in this category that do compare. I thought briefly about the Honda Accord but never actually test drove one-the a$$ end of that car is really fugly. Toyota Camry was only a passing consideration. They aren't really in the same league especially at the price I paid. Acura's were substantially more expensive and after my wife's experience with VW I don't think I would ever own one.

My wife owns a BMW and I really like them but again price was the deciding factor.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:07 PM

The Accord wasn't bad, but it didn't have the same zip to it... and there is nothing good about the styling. I did like the fact that they were way discounted, but then again, so are the 2003 Max's
Old 08-08-2003, 01:23 AM

bmw 325
g35
volvo s60
acura tl
MB c240
audi a4, a6

but for what u get with the max, youd be dumb not to get it, why pay for the name BMW, way over priced for what u get
Old 08-08-2003, 08:17 AM

Re: I had more problems with the Ci

Originally posted by marmadogg

I was all set to lease a 01' SE but the dealership did not want to deal so I got the BMW. The TL is a big Accord, the A4 is too small, A6 is just as plain looking as the A4 and is a upscale Passat (the A4 is a upscale Jetta), the G35 sedan is pricy for all the goodies I want and will get in the Maxima and the G35 is a little small for me and the ES is just an expensive Camry.
By your logic, the Maxima is just an expensive Nissan. Sometimes you have to look behind the badge to see what car really fits your needs. On another note, I really doubt that your Maxima "accelerates faster, handles the same and stops the same" as your BMW 330i. That car costs $10k more than everything in its class produced by Honda / Nissan / Toyota but some of that $10k is actually worth it. You get what you paid for when you get a Japanese car, but even though you have to pay a steep premium for the 330i, some of it is definitely worth it.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:00 AM

My wife's 325i sedan is much smaller than my '03 Maxima.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:15 AM

Re: I own a 330i

I currently own a 330i and it is a great car but it is very, very small. The 04' Maxima has much more room, accelerates faster, handles the same and stops the same. The 04' Max is much cheaper...$10K cheaper when you look at a loaded 330i vs. a loaded SE. I can not wait for my Max to arrive. The dealership said I should have a VIN on Monday. The car is due to arrive June 2nd. I am hoping for sooner as I have my 330i listed on Swap Lease and there are 5 serious buyers. Why don't you pickup a 330i on swaplease to see if you like it?

Just my $0.02...

I find it hard to believe the 04 Maxima handles just as well as your BMW 330i.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:08 PM

Re: Re: I own a 330i

Originally posted by JAKE02

I find it hard to believe the 04 Maxima handles just as well as your BMW 330i.
Ditto, but it migth accelerate a tad faster.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:40 PM

That makes three of us. Please explain that 330i statement.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:26 PM

If you are just talking handling, and not taking into consideration torque steer and other FWD attributes, I would have to say that it would be close. The Max handles really well. I haven't had it plow or break loose on me at all, and I have been pretty tough on it. Body roll is a total non-issue.

If you take into consideration the torque steer and other FWD issues, then I have to agree that the 330 would definately do much better.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:25 PM

1) 2004 Grand Prix GTP: I liked the acceleration and the torque the car has but the interior was awful...I think fisher-price designed it. Also a bit smaller than the Max as well. I think I would have got an 03 GTP on the cheap before I would have bought the 04 GTP

2) Acura TL type S: Very nice car, a little tight on head room. This was going to be my choice a year a go and then I put buying a car on hold until this past spring...then the new Max came out. My biggest complaint about the TL is maybe its just a little too boring. I liked how hardly anyone has my car. TL's in my area are everywhere.

3) Infiniti G35 Sedan: Everyone comments about the Max's Torque steer, but when I test drove the G35 after some light rain, every time I pushed down on the gas pedal the car's backend wanted to slide to the left. Also the car was a little too small for me. Styling I think the Max overall is a better looking car. I didn't care for the the Blue paint on G35 I test drove...too light. The Blue of my Max is awesome.

I needed room to transport strollers, portable cribs, babyseat, etc, but I wanted something sporty too. I call my Max the sports car for the married middle aged guy with kids. (No SUV's or minivans for me)
Old 08-09-2003, 01:42 PM

I was looking at the Acura TSX ... but I think my '04 Max blows it out of the water... no contest!
Old 08-09-2003, 03:10 PM

G35

VW Passat W8

Accord EX V6

Mazda 6

Grand *****

Altima

In the end I chose the Maxima of course... personal taste.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by vandy786
The 330i without the sport package.

It was a lease and I could not justify paying for a set of wheels & snows when I would have the car for 36 months. That is a total waste of money. I can not count how many 3-series vehicles with sport wheels got stuck in the snow this winter. It was amazing!
Old 08-10-2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Blue04SEinIL
I needed room to transport strollers, portable cribs, babyseat, etc, but I wanted something sporty too. I call my Max the sports car for the married middle aged guy with kids. (No SUV's or minivans for me)
I'll second that, from the 'Married Middle Aged Guy with Kids' crowd. The G35 simply didn't have enough room for me. I have 2 kids, and the Max was much more comfortable for everyone. The wife has the minivan - I get the Max!!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:40 PM

You should be careful about making a snap judgement based on something Jake says as he is most often wrong.

You must be embarrased for not considering the 330i without the sport package. I wanted to lease the 330ci as it has the sport suspension with all weather tires but I did not fit in that car at all...my head was smashed in the headliner with the seat adjusted all the way to the floor. The 330i comes with the sport suspension but you have to take the sport tires which $uch (not even that good) in bad weather. I was not about to buy snow for a leased vehicle...that is just a retarted idea.

FYI - the 330i with the sport package pulls a 0.83 on the skidpad and so does the 2004 Maxima SE.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:40 PM

FYI - the 330i with the sport package pulls a 0.83 on the skidpad and so does the 2004 Maxima SE.
I might be incorrect but I don't think a skidpad number of 0.83 is all that spectacular anymore. I have a 2002 TLS and many tests by magazines have rated its skidpad from .81 to .84. Also, it was my understanding that the BMW is able to pull much better numbers than a 0.83. In fact, this following link states the TL's skidpad number at .81 and the BMW 330i (without sports package I think) at 0.86. Regardless, we have to remember that the Maxima and the TLS are putting up these kind of numbers with a FWD setup and 60/40 weight distribution!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/...edans_data.pdf
Old 08-10-2003, 08:57 PM

You should be careful about making a snap judgement based on something Jake says as he is most often wrong.

You must be embarrased for not considering the 330i without the sport package. I wanted to lease the 330ci as it has the sport suspension with all weather tires but I did not fit in that car at all...my head was smashed in the headliner with the seat adjusted all the way to the floor. The 330i comes with the sport suspension but you have to take the sport tires which $uch (not even that good) in bad weather. I was not about to buy snow for a leased vehicle...that is just a retarted idea.

Yea Marmadogg, I merely question somthing you said, and the personal insults start...........very intelligent......as usual. If the 6th gen handles as well as a BMW 330i.........great, however I still have my doubts.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:31 PM

I don't see a personal insult there...
Old 08-11-2003, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by gmc74
I don't see a personal insult there...
" Jake is most often wrong" You two must be twins, seperated at birth....
Old 08-11-2003, 06:53 AM

I might be incorrect but I don't think a skidpad number of 0.83 is all that spectacular anymore. I have a 2002 TLS and many tests by magazines have rated its skidpad from .81 to .84. Also, it was my understanding that the BMW is able to pull much better numbers than a 0.83. In fact, this following link states the TL's skidpad number at .81 and the BMW 330i (without sports package I think) at 0.86. Regardless, we have to remember that the Maxima and the TLS are putting up these kind of numbers with a FWD setup and 60/40 weight distribution!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/...edans_data.pdf
If you take note of the tire width on the 330i you will notice that the front tires are 225 while the rear tires are 245. Do you still believe that the car was tested without the sport package? A vehicle without the sport package would have 205s all the way around.

I had a 2001 BMW 330i. BMW updated some of the suspension components for 2002. The 2001 330i with the sport package pulled a 0.83 - 0.84 on the skidpad. That is all I could find for the 2001 330i. I am comparing the 2004 Maxima SE to the 2001 BMW 330i.

You are correct with those numbers but I drove a 2001.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:31 AM
is invisible

Re: Re: I had more problems with the Ci

By your logic, the Maxima is just an expensive Nissan. Sometimes you have to look behind the badge to see what car really fits your needs. On another note, I really doubt that your Maxima "accelerates faster, handles the same and stops the same" as your BMW 330i. That car costs $10k more than everything in its class produced by Honda / Nissan / Toyota but some of that $10k is actually worth it. You get what you paid for when you get a Japanese car, but even though you have to pay a steep premium for the 330i, some of it is definitely worth it.

Er...do you mean that an Infiniti is an expensive Nissan?
Old 08-11-2003, 07:34 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by JAKE02

Yea Marmadogg, I merely question somthing you said, and the personal insults start...........very intelligent......as usual. If the 6th gen handles as well as a BMW 330i.........great, however I still have my doubts.
Better yet, if it does handle as well as a the BMW, how they achieve such a remarkable engineering feat?
Old 08-11-2003, 07:37 AM
is invisible

Originally posted by bez18
I was looking at the Acura TSX ... but I think my '04 Max blows it out of the water... no contest!
How? It goes faster or handles better?

There's a reason they didn't put a V6 in it...it doesn't even compete with the Max!
Old 08-11-2003, 07:39 AM
is invisible

How do they compare in the slalom?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by CoolMax

How? It goes faster or handles better?

There's a reason they didn't put a V6 in it...it doesn't even compete with the Max!
LOL. yea my friend really tore up a riced up Civic in his 2003 Maxima SE. THose civics can't compete with the 3.5.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by CoolMax

How do they compare in the slalom?
Dunno?

Is that a rhetorical question?
Old 08-11-2003, 10:00 AM
is invisible

Dunno?

Is that a rhetorical question?
I believe you were using skidpad #s to compare the Maxima & BMW in handling. I believe slalom numbers provide a better answer...just wanted to see if you conveniently knew those.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:10 PM

This doesn't apply to your BimmerMax debate, but am I to assume that none of you took a look at a loaded Altima 3.5SE ?

I'm just a college student with a 98 GXE Auto, but after seeing the numbers that Nissan Performance Mag pulled from a 3.5SE with just an intake and new exhaust, the first car on my list of Max-replacements is an 02 or 03 Altima that my mechanic says is in perfect running condition.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:33 PM

I didn't give the Altima one look. Size and the features of the car were lacking for my taste.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:05 PM

Well I have decided against the Maxima. I went and test drove a 540i. I liked it. So I bought an M5 2000 with 28,280 miles on it.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by BatKeith
This doesn't apply to your BimmerMax debate, but am I to assume that none of you took a look at a loaded Altima 3.5SE ?

I'm just a college student with a 98 GXE Auto, but after seeing the numbers that Nissan Performance Mag pulled from a 3.5SE with just an intake and new exhaust, the first car on my list of Max-replacements is an 02 or 03 Altima that my mechanic says is in perfect running condition.
If performance is your priority and you can live with the low-rent interior and the already-dated clear lense tail lights, the Altima 3.5SE is a compelling choice. Serious bang for the buck.

Cheers,

Jaeger

Quick Reply: What other cars did you try before buying the 04 Max?