6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

G35 vs. 2k4 Max

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by kenju4u
the new max is too similar to the saturn ion. Its UGLY! Too over priced and too close to the altima. Go with the G35, it looks sweet and it out performs BMW according to motor trend reviews.
My roommate has an ION and there is absolutely no way you can mistake one for the other. Unless, of course, you are near blind.

-Ed
Old 05-29-2003, 06:58 PM

if you quickly glance at the car from the rear corner, you can see the resemblence, beyond that there is none.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
WTF?!?! You want them to price them higher!!?? Good thinking!

for the same price of a loaded altima, you could get a nicely equipped g35......something is definitely wrong there - i think infiniti is priced jsut right, but nissan is way too over priced
Old 05-30-2003, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

for the same price of a loaded altima, you could get a nicely equipped g35......something is definitely wrong there - i think infiniti is priced jsut right, but nissan is way too over priced
A used nicely equipped G35 maybe, but not a new one.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:32 AM

Your way off, a loaded Altima may top 28K (new) ( I would hate to pay it)
and a nicely equipped G35(new) would be around 33-35K. The new Max and G35 are closely priced but not the CHEAPER Altima.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:09 AM

Real price

Typically, you can get good discount off MSRP for Altima, some on Maxima, and not quite so good on G35.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:30 PM

The Infiniti dealers in Phoenix are trying to get MSRP, well actually DSRP for the G35 right now. I say DSRP cause they are all the rip off dealers (all three owned by the same crooks) that add the $900 AUTOMATE paint protection and other absurd costs that. Not that any smart person would ever let those pork add on's into the equation, but they try.

A few of the Nissan dealers tried to do the same thing (they too are owned by the same crooks) but that didn't fly. When they tried to tell me the MSRP of my 04 Max was $34K and change I laughed, then I asked them to show me and they pointed to the add on sticker. I opened the door, ripped it off the window and said "Ok, now that all the fluff and crap is out of the picture..." hehehe, I still have that piece of paper somewhere.. I will have to scan it and post it
Old 06-02-2003, 03:48 PM

the maxima IS an altima with $10K in options, I'd take the infiniti.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:35 PM

don't forget the nicer interior and exterior...

don't think that the infiniti is all that different, same parts bin
Old 06-03-2003, 10:48 AM

yeah thats true, but the infiniti is much more refined...less road noise..rwd...better interior
Old 06-03-2003, 01:17 PM

yeah thats true, but the infiniti is much more refined...less road noise..rwd...better interior
Much more refined? I don't think so... that is a blanket statement thrown out there to justify the added cost of the name.

RWD is a benefit, but that is about it. The interior may have better materials, and I say may because I don't know this to be true or false, but it is definately not set up better. With the seat controls on the top of the seat cushion, the mirror controls on the side of the console, the strange extra glove box.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:55 PM

If he has hip problems I would recommend whichever car is higher up.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:17 PM

another advantage is that its made in japan...no union workers working on the cars....if a worker slacks off - his **** gets fired.....in the US if someone slacks off, the union got his back
Old 06-05-2003, 06:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

another advantage is that its made in japan...no union workers working on the cars....if a worker slacks off - his **** gets fired.....in the US if someone slacks off, the union got his back
Nissan workers in the United States do not belong to UAW. They never have and do not have any desire to belong to UAW as their pay, benefits and working conditions are at or above union levels without paying dues or dealing with union hassles. Nissan does not want union hassles so they have tried to take care of their workers.

Check out these articles...

http://www.hrmguide.net/usa/relation...esentation.htm

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0110/03/b02.html

http://www.clarionledger.com/news/nissan/z3c.html

You can not assume that because Nissan's employees work in a automobile manufacturing plant that they belong to a union.

The Japanese have nothing on American workers.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by marmadogg

The Japanese have nothing on American workers.
Damn straight! I am glad you brought this up. The theory that cars built in Japan are better than cars built here is just crazy. There is no proof to back this up at all.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by gmc74

Damn straight! I am glad you brought this up. The theory that cars built in Japan are better than cars built here is just crazy. There is no proof to back this up at all.
No sweat Grant.

I just have to set people straight when they talk out of their a$$.

FYI - BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and Honda build hundreds of thousands of cars in the United States each year. Their quality has not suffered so why should Nissan's?
Old 06-05-2003, 08:38 AM

Volkswagon builds some of theirs in Mexico, and their quality sucks... at least there have been a lot of issues with the Jetta's that are built there. Big difference when you talk about Mexico though, there is no skilled labor at all down there.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:39 AM

That is funny as hell!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:08 PM

i would go with the G35 if he doesnt mind a little less room. i love both cars but the maxima is a little cheaper which could play a factor for your dads decision.

infinity's service is about the same with my experiences but you get a little more attention and quicker service due to the less amount of traffic inifnity had to deal with.

I would get both lol......
Old 06-11-2003, 02:35 AM

Things I considered when I looked at the Maxima and the G35:

size - Maxima has more room inside, all around

looks - subjective and I prefer the looks of the Maxima (yes, even the tooth!)

ergonomics - this was my biggest problem with the G35... it felt like everything they put in there was an after-thought... ugh, those power seat controls!!!! ACK!!!!!

drivetrain - here in Chicago, where winters get bad, FWD is the way to go... if I lived out West or in the South, then yes, RWD would be preferred

test drive - I just felt more "at home" in the '04 Maxima than I did in the G35 - again, this is based on personal preferrence

Price - pretty even there, so all it came down to was what I felt best in

Headroom/legroom - Maxima won there... im 6'3 so the more room the better

If the G35 was more friendly inside, and more aggressively styled on the outside, it would have most likely been my choice in the end... but, the Maxima already had all that
Old 06-11-2003, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by 04EliteSE
Things I considered when I looked at the Maxima and the G35:

size - Maxima has more room inside, all around

ergonomics - this was my biggest problem with the G35... it felt like everything they put in there was an after-thought... ugh, those power seat controls!!!! ACK!!!!!

test drive - I just felt more "at home" in the '04 Maxima than I did in the G35 - again, this is based on personal preferrence

Headroom/legroom - Maxima won there... im 6'3 so the more room the better

I was starting to think everyone on this board was 5'6" or shorter because no one who likes the G35 complains about the lack of front seat leg room. I found the leg room to be poor, and the ergonomics, well you summed that up perfectly.

I did like the styling, RWD (I live in AZ), and the handling, but the downsides out weighed the upsides.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:47 PM

As a general response to this thread, the fact that we have debates of Altima 3.5SE or Maxima or Maxima vs. G35 is proof that no automaker I can think of has a more comprehensive lineup of solid affordable sports/sporty sedans than Nissan. There really is no gap going up the price ladder; Nissan laid a thick blanket of sports sedans with just the right amount of overlap for certain aspects so the purchasing debate can be one Nissan/Infiniti vs. Nissan/Infiniti as opposed to Nissan/Infiniti vs. rivals, just the way Nissan would want it.

What a lineup: A refreshingly torquey for its class Sentra, peppy & roomy Altima 2.5, youthful & roomy Altima 3.5SE, authoritative & cavernous Maxima, precision tuned & cozy G35, budget alternative to Lexus GS with the M45, and the sole "large" RWD import sports-luxury sedan for $50k the Q45.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by motectransam
As a general response to this thread, the fact that we have debates of Altima 3.5SE or Maxima or Maxima vs. G35 is proof that no automaker I can think of has a more comprehensive lineup of solid affordable sports/sporty sedans than Nissan. There really is no gap going up the price ladder; Nissan laid a thick blanket of sports sedans with just the right amount of overlap for certain aspects so the purchasing debate can be one Nissan/Infiniti vs. Nissan/Infiniti as opposed to Nissan/Infiniti vs. rivals, just the way Nissan would want it.

What a lineup: A refreshingly torquey for its class Sentra, peppy & roomy Altima 2.5, youthful & roomy Altima 3.5SE, authoritative & cavernous Maxima, precision tuned & cozy G35, budget alternative to Lexus GS with the M45, and the sole "large" RWD import sports-luxury sedan for $50k the Q45.
Great response Motectransam, you are absolutely correct. We all should appreciate Nissan for at least giving us sporty and affordable sedans even if they are not perfect ( what car is ?)
Old 06-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by JAKE02

Great response Motectransam, you are absolutely correct. We all should appreciate Nissan for at least giving us sporty and affordable sedans even if they are not perfect ( what car is ?)
I wanted a G35 sedan. I love the way it looks! I'm 6'2" and have developed a bigass in my old age. The Maxima is a much better fit for me. It seems to perform about the same. And it was cheaper.
Itsa win/win.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx

I wanted a G35 sedan. I love the way it looks! I'm 6'2" and have developed a bigass in my old age. The Maxima is a much better fit for me. It seems to perform about the same. And it was cheaper.
Itsa win/win.
ditto...

well put motec
Old 06-11-2003, 09:06 PM

Hello guys, I just found this site and Im in the same boat! Me and the wife went and drove both this afternoon!

Maxima--Very nice and powerful, the 5-speed Auto is fun to drive as well and it held the road nicely. Heck the wife was playing with the man mode shift and before she new it we were at 100Mph! WOW I thought. I really dont like the way they put the cassette down there in the middle of nowhere? We are looking at the SE model with Journey package or Elite and sunroof! Overall nice car.

G35--Nice looking car as well! (had 6,000 miles) First thing we noticed was that it was very loud on the inside--engine roar/road noise! Really suprised us as I was thinking it would be very quite compared to the Max. Seem to run just as well since the motor/drivetrain are the same. The G35 seemed a little smaller all around as well and the specs show that too. Overall very nice but the interior noise shocked us.

**Well we really liked the front end of the G35 and the rear of the Maxima. Interior setup seemed a lillte roomier in the Max too. The Maxixma was much,much quiteier but both handled like on rails. Didnt get to see the Nav system as neither car had it, but mine will!

We are going to go back this weekend and drive them again at a differant dealership to get more familiar and hopefully one with the Nav system in it! Talk at you later
Old 06-11-2003, 09:29 PM

No matter what they try to tell you, you can get the Maxima at or near invoice. So shop them around. A lot of dealers are trying to get people to pay more because it is so new and "in demand". They are selling well, but not that well.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:40 AM

The new maxima is pimp but the G35 coupe is just WOW! i read in my (car and driver)and(motor trend) both mags rated the G35 awesome in all the events..
Old 06-17-2003, 07:47 AM

Yes, the G35 sedan is great! BUT...its totally differant in how it rides and road/exhaust noise! I was wanting a quite, smooth, nice running car and the G35 is one of the 3(nice running) So for all 3 I like the Maxima.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by gmc74
No matter what they try to tell you, you can get the Maxima at or near invoice. So shop them around. A lot of dealers are trying to get people to pay more because it is so new and "in demand". They are selling well, but not that well.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.
That depends. If you want a 6spd SE, you are absolutely right, there are a ton of them. Try getting a 5spd automatic SE with DVD navigation at just above invoice. I've looked, and I happily bought one at $1000 below MSRP and there isn't another one for miles...the automatics in general are selling like hotcakes in the Richmond area and the lots are full of 6 spds. My deal wasn't great, but if I turned it down, they could have easily sold it to the next guy since there are so few. That damn hail storm has screwed us bargain hunters.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by jacksprat01

That depends. If you want a 6spd SE, you are absolutely right, there are a ton of them. Try getting a 5spd automatic SE with DVD navigation at just above invoice. I've looked, and I happily bought one at $1000 below MSRP and there isn't another one for miles...the automatics in general are selling like hotcakes in the Richmond area and the lots are full of 6 spds. My deal wasn't great, but if I turned it down, they could have easily sold it to the next guy since there are so few. That damn hail storm has screwed us bargain hunters.
Or you could have waited. I'm confident that production will meet demand in spite of the weather.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:39 PM

So this the car i want definately. Since Bluemaxx has said about being 6'2". I am 6'3" and i have had it with no leg room.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:16 AM

If dealers have plenty of 6spds, then Nissan must have cranked up the 6spd production, because 5th gen manuals were always somewhat difficult to find
Old 06-19-2003, 06:13 PM

If you haven't driven a Q45 there is no way you can call it sporty. It is not, IMO. Slapping 18" tires on a car does not make it sporty. It is luxurious but felt ponderous, especially with 4 people in the car. I think they need to either make is SPORTY like the G35 or LUXURY like a LS 430 and leave the 1/2 and 1/2 crap alone.

Nissan does have a new, refreshing lineup.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:33 AM

Being overanxious is the thing that will cost you the most when buying a car..

There are tons of cars here in AZ, I originally was negotiating on an SE with the Journey package, and I was around invoice. The key is patience. If the demand is high today, then wait a month. Let the dealer know that you aren't in a hurry (even if you are) because that removes one of his cards from the deck, the "well, if you want it you better jump on it because I have 4 other people that want this too... they are moving like hot cakes" card.

The dealer is the one that is in a hurry to make a deal, so use that to your advantage.

grant
Old 06-21-2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by lwebb12
So this the car i want definately. Since Bluemaxx has said about being 6'2". I am 6'3" and i have had it with no leg room.
I am 6'3 as well... The Maxima has TONS of room.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by 04EliteSE

I am 6'3 as well... The Maxima has TONS of room.
yes it does, and my favorite option (as well as my dad's favorite since he borrowed the car all last week) is when you pull the key and have the wheel tilt up and in and the seat move back. Sure helps move those long legs out of the car.

My dad loved the car, and didn't want to give it back. Now he has to go back to his Grand Prix... hehe
Old 06-21-2003, 08:10 PM

LSD w/G35?

It's too bad that AWD is not offered on the G35. I'd hesitate to consider RWD for a year-round car in regions where it snows. Whereas FWD can at least tackle snow fairly well.

I haven't driven either car yet (only sat in driver's seat), but I like the look of the new Maxima interior. I'm just surprised they're still putting in a cassette player! Doesn't look like much of an option to customize the stereo system either.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:57 AM

Re: LSD w/G35?

Originally posted by Gary95
It's too bad that AWD is not offered on the G35. I'd hesitate to consider RWD for a year-round car in regions where it snows. Whereas FWD can at least tackle snow fairly well.

I haven't driven either car yet (only sat in driver's seat), but I like the look of the new Maxima interior. I'm just surprised they're still putting in a cassette player! Doesn't look like much of an option to customize the stereo system either.

The G35 has a VDC control. you cannot lay any rubber or donuts and you only spin a little if its wet then the computer shuts the spin down. Even if you turn it off you cant. you should test drive one, you will see what im talking about. Its not like driving a GT where you can sit there a spin all day!
Old 06-22-2003, 06:19 PM

Re: Re: LSD w/G35?

Originally posted by wantasupra3

The G35 has a VDC control. you cannot lay any rubber or donuts and you only spin a little if its wet then the computer shuts the spin down. Even if you turn it off you cant. you should test drive one, you will see what im talking about. Its not like driving a GT where you can sit there a spin all day!
Ah, so that's what VDC is. I thought it meant Virtual Dream Car. Well, with this nearly endless string of rainy days, it would be a good time to put this VDC to the test. I wonder how it compares to LSD (ahem, limited slip differential). BMW's are supposed to have this, yet I hear of so many complaints of BMW's not being able to handle the snow at all.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. 2k4 Max